• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

LeGueD8.png

Haha that's awesome!

Cutthroat Island really tanked Geena Davis' career.

She was in Stuart Little after that, say what you will about the film, but it was a hit.

What tanked her career was more her basically trying to raise her kids & then semi-quitting the business for ten years or so, aside from some less then successful shows. Now that's done, she's more interested in roles.

Basically if you're on the internet at all that month, it's game over

Really? Cause I was on the internet the month the teaser released and I didn't see shit.

All I did was stay out of the teaser discussion thread and I was fine.

You gotta prepare for that shit and be willing to hit the eject.

Only way I will be fucked is if one of you motherfuckers posts gifs in this thread.

Bronson, I'm looking at you.

kswiston

The big question is going to be whether The Last Jedi can top Wolf Warrior 2 to have the largest single territory gross of the year.

TLJ seemed to have that locked down a month ago. Not so much anymore.

kswiston

Having seen absolutely nothing official from Solo, including what the title is, I think it'll make more.

I can see Han Solo making less if it stays in May.

Even though it is Star Wars, it will have a hard time holding onto screens with June 2018's release slate. Rogue One stayed in 4157 venues for a month.

She was in Stuart Little after that, say what you will about the film, but it was a hit.

What tanked her career was more her basically trying to raise her kids & then semi-quitting the business for ten years or so, aside from some less then successful shows. Now that's done, she's more interested in roles.

It did give her time to take up archery, though. And she got pretty good at it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can see Han Solo making less if it stays in May.

Even though it is Star Wars, it will have a hard time holding onto screens with June 2018's release slate. Rogue One stayed in 4157 venues for a month.

I keep forgetting it's still slated for May. I've just automatically pushed it back in my head. They should let Red Solo Cup close out the summer then.

Real prediction or a joke I missed?

Real prediction.

Like, 600mil+ seems likely, I guess. But I'm not convinced this series gets above 750 domestic on the reg, either.

Third Star Wars movie in 3 years, middle chapter of a trilogy, increased winter competition...

I'm not comfy/confident going near 700 yet.

Real prediction.

Like, 600mil+ seems likely, I guess. But I'm not convinced this series gets above 750 domestic on the reg, either.

Third Star Wars movie in 3 years, middle chapter of a trilogy, increased winter competition...

If it is dark, I could agree with that but the momentum of the last one alone will likely carry it to 700+.

It's not the '80s, I don't think a darker entry means a weaker BO take these days.

My biggest immediate concern with TLJ is the first trailer didn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of views. I'll definitely be looking at how that plays out with the next (final?) trailer.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's not the '80s, I don't think a darker entry means a weaker BO take these days.

My biggest immediate concern with TLJ is the first trailer didn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of views. I'll definitely be looking at how that plays out with the next (final?) trailer.
Doesn't that kind of go back to number of views not bring equal to the success it'll have? Or am I missing something?

kswiston

Real prediction.

Rogue One was $535M though. That would an awfully big drop from TFA. 43%. That would inspire mass meltdowns.

Age of Ultron's 26% drop domestically had people acting like it was Transformers 5.

Rogue One was $535M though. That would an awfully big drop from TFA. 43%. That would inspire mass meltdowns

I dunno man. TFA was on some phenomenon shit.

Empire dropped pretty heavy from ANH if I remember right. And i know there's a lot of re-release business between 77 and 80 to account for but still. I think ESB dropped by over a third.

I dont think "saga film" is a distinction a lot of the audience gives a whole lot of a damn about.

3rd Star Wars film in 3 years w/ increased competition and novelty factor gone.

600+ mil seems safe, yeah.

People gonna melt down no matter what. Or they won't melt down at all because almost 1bil domestic is fucking ridiculous. I dunno.

Anth0ny

TLJ won't do better than TFA but I still think it'll hit #4 all time quite comfortably. Like $1.7/$1.8b I'm thinking.

I think TLJ *could* barely miss JW numbers, but I don't see it going anywhere below Avengers for any category of gross. I *expect* it to do more like $700-750 domestic and $1b intl. though.

I'm thinking around 700-750 million right now but I'll hold off judgement until I see the final trailer and build up to the movie. If they knock that out of the park I see TLJ getting much closer to TFA though i can't see it pulling quite as big numbers domestically or WW. I think it will fall short of 2 billion this time, thinking around 1.8 billion as the high water mark.

kswiston

I dunno man. TFA was on some phenomenon shit.

Empire dropped pretty heavy from ANH if I remember right. And i know there's a lot of re-release business between 77 and 80 to account for but still. I think ESB dropped by over a third.

Empire is only massively down if you count all the ANH re-expansions/re-releases from 1977 to 1982.

Mojo has weekly totals for Star Wars for the first 41 weeks. It was sitting at $215M at that point, coming off a weekend of $600k. It managed to make another $100M between then and its first tracked re-release in 1982.

Mojo only has the first 13 weeks for Empire, at which point it was up to $146M, coming off a $4.3M weekend. Empire had an initial run of $209M. Given that Empire also had a tracked re-release in 1982, it would have made pretty much all of that in its initial run, without any re-issues. I guess it is possible that it saw a re-expansion in 1981, but that's about it.

ANH obviously had more of a build up and longer legs, but over those first 13 weeks, Empire was ahead of ANH.

Look at this guy being all America fuck yeah.

Nah, its just that the studios make more domestically and spend more domestically and the audience being aimed at is primarily (still) a domestic one, so those are the figures that carry way more weight.

I dont go in for the jingoistic mindless chanting USA USA shit. Its like THE worst part of any fighting game tourney stream I've ever watched.

kswiston

Given how well Rogue One held in the US compared to overseas, I'm not expecting $1B international, even if TLJ is over $750M domestic. This is going to be another 50/50 split. Or close to it.

This last episode of Defenders pretty badly broke my suspension of disbelief.
What is with these Marvel shows and shitty season finales?
Doesn't that kind of go back to number of views not bring equal to the success it'll have? Or am I missing something?
There's not a direct correlation between trailer views and BO grosses (I wish there was, but there isn't), but I do think there at least a very good measure of the anticipation of a film among a movie's fanbase for blockbusters. TLJ's views on youtube were way down from TFA and less than Justice League or Thor 3, which I wouldn't have called. It may simply be that there wasn't anything in the trailer that exploded minds like, say, Luke using a lightsaber. But that's a factor worth considering in the marketing of the film overall, too. If the trailers don't have material that excites fans the way TFA or even Thor does, that's definitely something to consider when making a box office prediction.

Top Bottom