• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

Which is funny because America fuckin' sucks at fighting games

Yeah, that part makes it look all the shittier.

Its like... like that one junior exec in the elevator with Don Draper.

but with a bunch of kids who are lucky to sniff fourth place once every 5 years.

(by "kids" I mean 30 year old men)

Toa TAK

Banned
This last episode of Defenders pretty badly broke my suspension of disbelief.
What is with these Marvel shows and shitty season finales
I feel your pain.
There's not a direct correlation between trailer views and BO grosses (I wish there was, but there isn't), but I do think there at least a very good measure of the anticipation of a film among a movie's fanbase for blockbusters. TLJ's views on youtube were way down from TFA and less than Justice League or Thor Ragnarok, which I wouldn't have called. It may simply be that there wasn't anything in the trailer that exploded minds like, say, Luke using a lightsaber. But that's a factor worth considering in the marketing of the film overall, too. If the trailers don't have material that excites fans the way TFA or even Thor does, that's definitely something to consider when making a box office prediction.
Makes sense.

Though I'm sure the closer we get, the bigger the hype. Maybe we can compare once both films are out the hype verses numbers?

I can't be bothered to watch Iron Fist, and I'm not sure how much Defenders builds on that series, so I haven't started it. The trailers make it look like Daredevil Season 3: Now with friends!

From having watched it, that's basically what it is. There are bits and pieces of plot threads from the other series, but most of it centers on 2 Daredevil characters.

Edit: And of course it's Star Wars talk that gets us over 1K this week.

firelogic

The Last Jedi doesn't have the anticipation that TFA had but it does have Luke Skywalker in a presumably more prominent role, AND it's Carrie Fisher's last movie, and it's got an even more badass Rey. All of that coupled with the love of TFA will bring it to $700M+

Edit:
Just show Luke reuniting with Leia in the final trailer and we have $1B domestic right there.

Was that cheating? :p

All's fair in love and box office talk.

Edit: Although I do have to wonder how long we're going to keep this 1K streak going. There's nothing exciting enough opening this weekend or next to draw crowds, and the BO milestones happening now are basically foregone conclusions we've already talked about (WW passing Spidey 1 domestic).

Schlorgan

Saw Captain Underpants with my wife and sister-in-law. They were really stretching to hit 90 minutes, but it did have the most amazing
sock puppet
sequence I've ever seen in a motion picture, and a theme song by Weird Al, so it was worth it.

kswiston

All's fair in love and box office talk.

Edit: Although I do have to wonder how long we're going to keep this 1K streak going. There's nothing exciting enough opening this weekend or next to draw crowds, and the BO milestones happening now are basically foregone conclusions we've already talked about (WW passing Spidey 1 domestic).

I think this was the last one over that mark for a bit. The next two weeks of releases are pretty terrible. Things will pick up when we get a better idea of where IT is heading.

I think this was the last one over that mark for a bit. The next two weeks of releases are pretty terrible. Things will pick up when we get a better idea of where IT is heading.

IT and Blade Runner will probably take us through late September and early October, with the only question being if we can keep that momentum all the way until Justice League. Because if we can get to that, it's smooth sailing until January, more or less.

Zetta

I saw the Hitman's Bodyguard and I have to say I rather enjoyed the hell out of it. I found it sad though that it was practically empty.

kswiston

Huh. Spider-Man Homecoming is settling into 30% drops week-to-week. I'm intrigued at the specific way its performing.

The box office is dull, so there's nothing pushing Spider-man out of theatres.

If the legs keep up, Homecoming could end up with a 2.8x opening weekend multiplier, which would put it on the higher side of the MCU.

Of course, that doesn't look at good as it would have before Wonder Woman.

I think YouTube trailer views need to be breakdown via region. Thor and IT might have huge views but are they domestic or from other International countries. This should help make it clear the impact of YT views on box office.

Also as others mentioned, people often use trailer to listen to music and I know I do it too for game trailers as well.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
JL numbers are gonna be interesting

I mean, I can't see how it does less than WW on her own
I think 800ww is the floor but this will all hinge on reviews. If it gets Wondy reviews I can see this hitting 1.2b+.

The box office is dull, so there's nothing pushing Spider-man out of theatres.

If the legs keep up, Homecoming could end up with a 2.8x opening weekend multiplier, which would put it on the higher side of the MCU.

Of course, that doesn't look at good as it would have before Wonder Woman.

Still curious if Wonder Woman can squeak by that 4x opening weekend multiplier.

Fully expecting JL to be a lesser version of The Avengers's 3rd act with DC characters at this point and I'm someone who likes quite a bit of Snyder's work.

It's looking pretty crazy visually but unless they are hiding a lot of stuff it seems like a standard alien invasion plot with the character moments, levity, and action carrying most of the movie, especially considering they gotta introduce 3 new heroes. I trust Snyder's action to go HAM, but we'll see about the first two, though I think Gadot, Momoa, and Miller should go a long way for the charm factor.

I hope I'm wrong and it's rad as fuck though, I don't want Wonder Woman's success getting overshadowed and having all DCEU discussion devolving once again into, "everything sucks, reboot it all", etc. It would also be nice for Zack to leave the DCEU on a high note and for people to put some respek on his name!

Slayven

Wait, why am I partnered with him? I thought we were friends, Slay?

Slayven has no friends, only pawns

Except Pau, Pau is cool

Fully expecting JL to be a lesser version of The Avengers's 3rd act with DC characters at this point and I'm someone who likes quite a bit of Snyder's work.

It's looking pretty crazy visually but unless they are hiding a lot of stuff it seems like a standard alien invasion plot with the character moments, levity, and action carrying most of the movie, especially considering they gotta introduce 3 new heroes. I trust Snyder's action to go HAM, but we'll see about the first two, though I think Gadot, Momoa, and Miller should go a long way for the charm factor.

I hope I'm wrong and it's rad as fuck though, I don't want Wonder Woman's success getting overshadowed and having all DCEU discussion devolving once again into, "everything sucks, reboot it all", etc. It would also be nice for Zack to leave the DCEU on a high note and for people to put some respek on his name!

I think JL will be a straight mess, Whedon and Snyder have such classing styles i can't see anything they both input on gelling, especially with Whedon coming in as an emergency substitution in the 4th quarter

Except Pau, Pau is cool

So that's the way it's gonna be, huh?

I think JL will be a straight mess, Whedon and Snyder have such classing styles i can't see anything they both input on gelling, especially with Whedon coming in as an emergency substitution in the 4th quarter
It is going to be interesting to see if we can easily tell where one director takes over from the other during the film. Of course it will be easy to tell when Whedon's writing takes over when all the characters start speaking with the same "voice" and banter.

And are we getting Avengers 1 Whedon, or Age of Ultron Whedon? He seemed to have his normal tone reined in a bit in the first one, but he went full Whedon in the second one and it suffered.

Except Pau, Pau is cool

This seems true but idk maybe instead of oil and water it's gonna be peanut butter and chocolate. Zack can't land too many jokes without a thud and his character moments are often flat and cold. Whedon has quips inside of his quips and he generally gives characters something to chew on outside of the setpieces though sometimes he goes a bit overboard (Black Widow in AoU why) but yah his Avengers movies aren't lookers, they are just competent for the most part besides the hero shots.

It just remains to be seen what was the extent of his involvement in the movie. On the outside it really does seem like he has got his hands full trying to pull this all together in just a few short months, rewrites, reshoots, a new composer, it sounds like it sucks. The DC rumor mongering is annoying but the reshoot descriptions make it nearly sound like a Rogue One type of deal.

I bet he's aiming for Astonishing X-Men Whedon.
I'd be cool with this. This was actually my first "Joss Whedon" production thing since I never really connected his name to Buffy until after the fact even though I watched the whole thing.

His X-Men run was actually did a great job of setting up crazy villains (I would love to see Danger in film one day) but still giving each member some shine. It's also got the best fastball special everrrrrrrr.

Ross61

Except Pau, Pau is cool

I mean, everything that's getting filmed Zack was already overseeing and writing with Whedon. Zack would've been the one filming if it wasn't for the tragedy. It's not like Whedon's doing anything that Zack hadn't approved and would be a very noticeable shift in style.

Anth0ny

The fanboy wars are going to be epic when JL comes out.

If it reviews well, you're going to have a clash between fanboys claiming "It's all thanks to Snyder" vs "It's all thanks to Whedon!"

If it reviews poorly... you're going to have a clash between fanboys claiming "It's all thanks to Snyder" vs "It's all thanks to Whedon!"

Anth0ny

Still think of it turns out well, Whedon will get most of the praise. And if it is s turd, Snyder will be blamed.

HEY STUPID WHEDON JUST DID A COUPLE OF PICKUP SHOTS THIS IS STILL SNYDER'S MOVIE

HEY STUPID WHEDON CAME IN AT THE END AND ADDED ALL HIS FUCKING LAME ASS QUIPS THIS ISN'T SNYDER'S MOVIE

The curious thing about Justice League is everything they've shown looks good. Folks on the internet who get way too invested in the happenings behind the movies call it a mess, as they do, but WB is doing a commendable job marketing it. The response reminds me of the lead up to Avengers. There was similar trepidation there from nerds and the like due to the baggage. But general audiences didn't care.

That said, the latest trailer is what made me hopeful that it'll appeal to my weird taste. And despite Avengers comparisons, Justice League doesn't and can't recapture the same event vibe. It's to be seen if even Infinity War can.

It's possible. It's possible Wonder Woman ends the year with the highest domestic for a superhero.

But I think inevitably Mighty Thor Battle Royale and Justice League with eat into each others' totals.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There you guys go talking about a Chris Hemsworth movie again...
scust.png

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Hitman's Bodyguard - $21.6M
2) Annabelle Creation - $15.5M - $64M total
3) Logan Lucky - $8.0M
4) Dunkirk - $6.7M - $166M total

I will update when the rest of the estimates come in

The fanboy wars are going to be epic when JL comes out.

If it reviews well, you're going to have a clash between fanboys claiming "It's all thanks to Snyder" vs "It's all thanks to Whedon!"

If it reviews poorly... you're going to have a clash between fanboys claiming "It's all thanks to Snyder" vs "It's all thanks to Whedon!"

When it's bad, I'll absolutely blame Snyder

3N16MA

Banned

3) Logan Lucky - $8.0M

200M was the ceiling. I was correct as usual.

3) Logan Lucky - $8.0M

Annabelle sequel is now 4 million higher than the original despite opening 2 million lower.

The original topped at 84 million.

Top Bottom