• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

xaosslug

vzhPOfu.jpg
q90JiI6.jpg
9cwOeFG.jpg
mbnVyYN.jpg
UNinG5C.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
40% The Hitman's Bodyguard
9wcOG.gif
68% Annabelle: Creation
kavuF.gif
86% Wind River
3Pj0x.gif
35% Leap!
0hJB1.gif
92% Logan Lucky
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
100% Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (40th Anniversary)
-
-
-
-
n/a Inhumans

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Hitman's Bodyguard' Leads Slowest Labor Day Weekend in About Two Decades

A disastrous domestic summer box office is ending on a low note.

Without any fresh competition in wide release, ”Hitman's Bodyguard" appears the be the holiday weekend's movie of choice. The Lionsgate release with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson at the center is tracking to earn $12.9 million from 3,370 locations over the four-day weekend. Its seemingly imminent win would make ”Hitman's Bodyguard" the only flick this summer to retain the top spot on the domestic box office charts for three consecutive weekends. ”Dunkirk," ”Wonder Woman," and ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" each stayed first for two frames.

But while the action comedy is certainly profitable at this point, its threepeat is less due to the movie's overwhelming popularity, and more attributable to the lack of alternatives. This — the first Labor Day weekend in recent history without a new wide release — is tracking to have the lowest four-day total for the holiday in nearly two decades. The 28 movies currently in release are tracking to bring in about $94 million. Not since 1998 when ”There's Something About Mary" led the box office with $10.9 million* and all 29 movies in release earned $78.8 million has the holiday weekend dropped so low.

Of the weekend's two medium-sized launched, Sony's re-release of ”Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is faring better. The 40th anniversary theatrical event is set to take in $2.3 million for the four-day holiday weekend from 901 locations. Meanwhile, TWC's long-delayed release ”Tulip Fever" is not finding its audience. The historical drama starring Alicia Vikander is expected to earn $1.5 million from 765 locations.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

-0.1% drop weekend to weekend.

I mean, it's apparently the definition of mediocre in both box-office and content, but that's still pretty impressive to see.

Close Encounters almost making the top 10!

Inhumass... not so much!

B.K.

The theater where I live got Dunkirk this weekend. I may go see it tomorrow. I would have liked to have seen it in IMAX or 70mm, but I guess this will be better than nothing.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $994M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $746M (China launches Sept 8th)
War for the Planet of the Apes - $366M (China launches Sept 15th)
Cars 3 - $343M
Baby Driver - $207M
The Emoji Movie - $160M
The Dark Tower - $101M
Atomic Blonde - $90M

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I almost...almost saw Tulip Fever blindly. Decided to watch a trailer in the parking lot and noped out when I saw Dane Dehaan and Cara Delevingne were both in it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Seems like it did... okay? Not sure what to compare it to. It made a little more than Game of Thrones did when it had its IMAX event.

Doesn't make it good but I have no idea what they would have expected from it.

People like Marvel shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People like Marvel shit.

Well yeah, that's obvious. They keep putting out quality stuff one after the other.

But this is bad and barely had any advertising. I'd like to know what Marvel/IMAX expected of the IMAX run because it seems like it did alright considering the previous two factors.

kswiston

Seems like it did... okay? Not sure what to compare it to. It made a little more than Game of Thrones did when it had its IMAX event.

The Game of Thrones event was showing episodes that aired 7-8 months before the IMAX event. This was the world premiere of Inhumans.

Decado

One or two studios could have done well moving an action flick to August. Can't help but think Kingsman could have cleaned up.

Penguin

Ok so seeing some confusion... or I'm confused.

Some folks are going with 1.21 million/1.5 million for inhumans 3-day/4-day total. Are the other numbers 4-days as well or is this inhumans 3-day total?

Neither here nor there, but catching a second Simon and Garfunkel movie title on the list in The Only Living Boy in New York, I somehow learned of his Allan Loeb guy and, umm, quite the prolific writer.

One day Marc Webb with get another good script and deliver something as good as 500 Days of Summer again. I believe!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One or two studios could have done well moving an action flick to August. Can't help but think Kingsman could have cleaned up.

That's what I've seen saying. I think Kingsman 2 in late September is leaving money on the table. What's the opening estimate, something like 3 of 4 million above the first? I bet it would've dominated in mid August, even with mediocre reviews.

What did IMAX invest into Inhumans? Gotta imagine they're not getting much back if this can only pull in a million and change.

berzeli

Banned

It did mediocre.

GoT made $1,464,932 but was in 205 theatres. That's a per theatre average of $7,146
Ihumans made $1,500,000 (and it could drop) from 393 theatres for an average of $3,817.

And I think the per theatre average might be a better indicator of success for such a limited release.

J_Viper

I was thinking this coming weekend would end the movie drought, but it looks like there's another huge gap in AAA releases between IT and Dark World 2

Predicting that IT is going to do very well this weekend. $75 million this weekend domestically. Or maybe I'm just hoping for its success.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Game of Thrones event was showing episodes that aired 7-8 months before the IMAX event. This was the world premiere of Inhumans.

Not sure that really matters in the end given the lack of advertising and the fact that it's still just a TV show premiere in IMAX. I don't think the ceiling is much higher than what it made.

It did mediocre.

GoT made $1,464,932 but was in 205 theatres. That's a per theatre average of $7,146
Ihumans made $1,500,000 (and it could drop) from 393 theatres for an average of $3,817.

And I think the per theatre average might be a better indicator of success for such a limited release.

This certainly makes it sound mediocre though.

I'd be curious to know what Marvel/IMAX had as expectations. Surely it couldn't have been much higher than $2m.

kswiston

Not sure that really matters in the end given the lack of advertising and the fact that it's still just a TV show premiere in IMAX. I don't think the ceiling is much higher than what it made.

What do you think the viewership for Game of Thrones would have been if it was the first two episodes of the season showing a week or two before the HBO airing? Probably quite a bit better than $1.5M.

Inhumans will be cancelled this season. The 8 episodes will play out, and then it will join Generation X as one of those comic shows/TV events that only Slayven talks about a decade after the fact.

Busty

Banned
Given these numbers it looks like Annabelle Creation will move past $100m domestic which is a huge win for all concerned.

It's not my cup of tea but I have heard good things from people who have seen it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What do you think the viewership for Game of Thrones would have been if it was the first two episodes of the season showing a week or two before the HBO airing? Probably quite a bit better than $1.5M.

I feel like comparing the season premiere of the biggest show on television airing two weeks before it airs on TV to a barely advertised premiere of a Friday show on ABC is a bit unfair.

Again, my point is expectations. Even if Inumans was good, I don't think it would have much that much more. But of course airing the premiere of Game fo Thrones two weeks before it's on TV would make more than $1.5m. Silly comparison.

Inhumans will be cancelled this season. The 8 episodes will play out, and then it will join Generation X as one of those comic shows/TV events that only Slayven talks about a decade after the fact.

Not sure why you're adding this in as if I'm arguing otherwise. It was bad and will likely be canceled.

I'm specifically trying to discuss what IMAX/Marvel was expecting from the theater run. Nothing more.

Pachimari

I'm so incredibly curious about Wind River. Gonna check that out when it comes out digitally, so I can watch it for myself some nice in a comfy bed.

Slayven

Better then The Cape

Montresor

I'm so incredibly curious about Wind River. Gonna check that out when it comes out digitally, so I can watch it for myself some nice in a comfy bed.

Why Wind River in particular should be watched digitally / at home? Nothing wrong that by the way. Just curious if you normally watch other movies at the theatre and if there's something about Wind River that makes you want to watch it at home.

I saw it at theatres a couple of weeks ago when it was on limited release and I loved it. If you liked movies like Hell or High Water or Sicario you would love Wind River. Understated, slow moving gritty drama with a few splashes of brutal violence.

kswiston

I'm specifically trying to discuss what IMAX/Marvel was expecting from the theater run. Nothing more.

Before the show was made and focus tested? Probably quite a bit more than $1.5M.

They made a pretty big deal of the announcement back in November 2016:

Marvel Television, a unit of Marvel Entertainment, and Disney|ABC Television Group today announced an innovative agreement to exclusively premiere the new ABC series "Marvel's The Inhumans" in IMAX commercial theatres, marking the first time a live-action television series has debuted in this manner.

Under the agreement, a version of the first two episodes of Marvel Television's new series "Marvel's The Inhumans" – produced in conjunction with ABC Studios and filmed entirely with IMAX digital cameras – will run worldwide exclusively in IMAX for two weeks at the beginning of September 2017. ABC plans to then premiere the weekly series in fall, with additional exclusive content that can only be seen on the network.

ABC, IMAX and Marvel Television also intend to work together to create a joint marketing and promotion plan for the series across their proprietary media platforms – which would be the first such cross-platform marketing launch of a television series. Today's agreement also marks IMAX's first time as a financing participant in a TV pilot and series.

"This unprecedented alliance represents a bold, innovative approach to launching great TV content for a worldwide audience," said Ben Sherwood, co-chairman, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney|ABC Television Group. "It highlights Disney|ABC's unrelenting commitment to finding new and creative ways to showcasing our very best programming and increasing global engagement and reach."

"This first-of-its-kind multi-platform production, distribution and marketing agreement brings together Marvel Television's unique brand of entertainment, ABC's unparalleled audience and IMAX's brand and global fanboy demographic," said IMAX CEO, Rich Gelfond. "It also takes our decades-long relationship with The Walt Disney Company to a whole new level, jointly breaking new ground in the industry. We are confident our exhibition partners will be excited to work with us on this innovative launch of a series across the IMAX network."

"We're happy to see this unique deal come together, working with our partners," said Dan Buckley, President, Marvel Television, Publishing & Brand. "In an ever-changing world of distribution and consumption, it's very exciting to be part of a groundbreaking initiative that takes us to the forefront of this evolution."

This deal also provides audiences with high-quality, compelling entertainment options during what have traditionally been lulls in the summer blockbuster season. These IMAX audiences also tend to have high engagement and positive response to comic book fare.

After it was clear that they had a turkey, everyone seemed to be content to sweep Inhumans under the rug. Hence the lack of the innovative marketing strategy that was described above.

What if IMAX funds a season 2?

Busty

Banned
Homecoming should hit $330m DOM and $850m+ WW.

The most successful failure ever.

Out of curiousity, what percentage of the film's incredible box office would you out down to the fact Downey Jnr's Iron Man was it and featured heavily in the marketing?

A 25% box office boost? 50%? Even higher?

Top Bottom