• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kingsman and Blade Runner will be forced to carry that period.

I can't articulate why (and I'll probably be wrong) but "I got a bad feeling about this" re: Blade Runner 2049. Something about it just looks like another 2017 loser ala War for the Dawn of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's probably just a combination of factors swirling around in my subconscious.

berzeli

Banned
I'm specifically trying to discuss what IMAX/Marvel was expecting from the theater run. Nothing more.
After it was clear that they had a turkey, everyone seemed to be content to sweep Inhumans under the rug. Hence the lack of the innovative marketing strategy that was described above.
to say the least, here is what the IMAX CEO recently said about the show:
Q: How will you measure the success of the project because, as you say yourself, it’s not a movie so is it by box office or ratings or some other way?

GF: Ultimately the success of the property is if the television show works. Our goal is, see it first in IMAX, and have the audience that IMAX has spent many years building, the fanboy and fangirl audiences, to come on board and to have that audience.The goal is for the television show, when it premieres here this fall on ABC, and all of the various broadcast platforms in the other countries around the world, to be able to bring incremental traffic to watching it on television, that might not have come, were it not for the fact that it was affiliated with IMAX. That's how we ultimately are going to be judging the success ourselves.
Which is wonderful corporate speak for "We know the show sucks. But as long as a single Mahvel-sucker goes and sees it we're happy". Or I think so at least, it is using a lot of words trying to say as little as possible.

Jigorath

Banned
Out of curiousity, what percentage of the film's incredible box office would you out down to the fact Downey Jnr's Iron Man was it and featured heavily in the marketing?

A 25% box office boost? 50%? Even higher?

I don't know if it's RDJ specifically or the fact that this is a part of the MCU that got more eyes on it. RDJ just kind of hammered that point home for audiences. Like, if Doctor Strange or Black Panther show up for a prominent role in the sequel then I think that could accomplish the same thing? Or not, might be wrong.

Busty

Banned
I don't know if it's RDJ specifically or the fact that this is a part of the MCU that got more eyes on it. RDJ just kind of hammered that point home for audiences. Like, if Doctor Strange or Black Panther show up for a prominent role in the sequel then I think that could accomplish the same thing? Or not, might be wrong.

Iron Man definitely helped given that he's the biggest draw in the MCU, but to what degree I'm not sure.

Without RDJ and, to a lesser extent Captain America, I don't think this film gets anywhere near that WW number at the box office.

But the real question is, when the sequel rolls around with a lesser MCU star like the Black Widow of even Hulk will that effect the film's box office or have it established itself as a franchise in it's own right going forward?

snap

Banned
I can't articulate why (and I'll probably be wrong) but "I got a bad feeling about this" re: Blade Runner 2049. Something about it just looks like another 2017 loser ala War for the Dawn of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's probably just a combination of factors swirling around in my subconscious.

Everyone expects that to bomb. The first one didn't exactly light the world on fire BO-wise and the appeal for the new one seems niche af.

I can't get over how cheap Inhumans looks for how they're positioning it. The Marvel Freeform shows and Syfy's Krypton look worlds better at what I imagine is a fraction of the cost and relevance.

kswiston

to say the least, here is what the IMAX CEO recently said about the show:

Which is wonderful corporate speak for "We know the show sucks. But as long as a single Mahvel-sucker goes and sees it we're happy". Or I think so at least, it is using a lot of words trying to say as little as possible.

Well, about 100k people paid for Inhumans tickets this weekend, given the average price of IMAX tickets. If they can increase that by a factor of 22, they might be able to get up into the premiere range of CW's The Tomorrow People.

ABC and Marvel really screwed up with their joint MCU stuff. Agents of SHIELD had over 17M people tune in for the pilot. But by the time it started to get interesting, close to two thirds of that initial audience had written it off.

Baby Driver $207.7 million worldwide

baby_driver_ansel_elgort_by_digi_matrix-dbetyfs.gif

Jigorath

Banned
Iron Man definitely helped given that he's the biggest draw in the MCU, but to what degree I'm not sure.

Without RDJ and, to a lesser extent Captain America, I don't think this film gets anywhere near that WW number at the box office.

But the real question is, when the sequel rolls around with a lesser MCU star like the Black Widow of even Hulk will that effect the film's box office or have it established itself as a franchise in it's own right going forward?

Iron Man got more people in theaters opening weekend. But it was the positive WOM that gave the film strong legs I think. Iron Man didn't exactly have all that large a role. If people were only seeing it for Iron Man, legs would have died pretty quickly once people knew how small his role was.

Mrbob

Spiderman actually outdid Wonder Woman this past weekend in terms of percentage hold this weekend, interesting. Or in this case, percentage increase. Guess Marvel didn't ruin Spiderman after all. Homecoming has ended up holding well the past month. Wonder Woman still the super hero hit of the summer but Spidey ended up holding up well too. Considering the second Marvel Spiderman movie is the first Marvel movie post Avengers 3 and 4 it is setting the table to be huge. Hopefully that means the Marvel/Sony partnership will stay.

Pachimari

Why Wind River in particular should be watched digitally / at home? Nothing wrong that by the way. Just curious if you normally watch other movies at the theatre and if there's something about Wind River that makes you want to watch it at home.
I mean, quiet or slower movies I usually prefer to watch at home. Not saying I know much about Wind River, but I have found my habit tends to be big blockbuster movies like the MCU in the cinema, and everything else at home.

Oh wow, was it really that bad?
August was strangely deserted, that's for sure.

Yeah, honestly I think it even helped contribute to Wonder Woman's legs. I can see folks over the summer looking through the new releases and thinking, "Maybe we should just see Wonder Woman again"

overcast

Baby Driver at 200+ million worldwide 😭

I do wonder how well that would have done in its august slot seeing how this month has been.

berzeli

Banned
Imagine if the show gets ratings that ABC is happy with for a Friday and renews the show.

Imagine that.
I'd rather imagine Pedro Pascal's brother with little to no clothing tbh (god bless Narcos season 3).

But you do you.
Well, about 100k people paid for Inhumans tickets this weekend, given the average price of IMAX tickets. If they can increase that by a factor of 22, they might be able to get up into the premiere range of CW's The Tomorrow People.
Oh.
ABC and Marvel really screwed up with their joint MCU stuff. Agents of SHIELD had over 17M people tune in for the pilot. But by the time it started to get interesting, close to two thirds of that initial audience had written it off.
That's what you get for half-assing it. They should have went the DC route and just let the TV universe be its own thing.
I can't get over how cheap Inhumans looks for how they're positioning it. The Marvel Freeform shows and Syfy's Krypton look worlds better at what I imagine is a fraction of the cost and relevance.
It's rushed as fuck.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still can't believe they greenlit a sequel to the original Nut Job movie.

Y-Z

Went to see Dark Tower as a fan of the Books and actually really liked it. Hope it will get a bit more BO money so there can be a sequel.

Is there any site where you can check if it still has to release somewhere? The BOMOJO international gross is almost always incomplete (the specifics).

kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $813M
Dunkirk - $459M
Annabelle Creation - $254M (passing Get Out Worldwide)

kswiston

Box Office Gaf will return to the Never-Never to sleep until the Justice League awakening

We still have to fight over and make fun of a few films before then. Thor Ragnarok is also doing the Marvel thing of releasing a week early in a bunch of major territories. So that will cut down a bit of the October dead time.

Dunkirk probably gonna pass $500 then?

Seems to be more or less locked now. China is probably good for $20-25M more. The rest of the world can leg out another $15-20M. Japan is the last release, next Saturday. I don't know what the film will do there, but even $5M cuts a good chunk out of the remaining gross to $500M.

kswiston

We talked about sales performance for over 20k posts from May 1st to Sept 3rd in the box office threads, and I don't think a single user got banned for anything said here.

Take that NPD and Media Create GAF :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We talked about sales performance for over 20k posts from May 1st to Sept 3rd in the box office threads, and I don't think a single user got banned for anything said here.

Take that NPD and Media Create GAF :p

I was going to make a defense for media create threads but nah those threads have been getting a bit crazy lately.

kmfdmpig

Do you think that some of what led to the massive summer declines is that studios have focused more and more on spreading out releases. We've seen a lot of non-summer records fall as December, February, March, April, etc... have become more viable for big blockbuster releases.

There were certainly some unanticipated failures in the summer, but I wonder if the success in other months offsets the damage of weaker summer results to some extent.

berzeli

Banned
Are there any mid-tier films that open between now and Thor 3 that have high expectations?
Don't have any high expectations for box office returns but Tomas Alfredson finally returns with The Snowman in October.
Would be great to see it do The Girl on the Train numbers, but that's probably not happening.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Media Create is just non-stop whining and arguing about Monster Hunter nowadays.

It was always there in large amounts but now it's become a beast of it's own. That and the general switch third party discussion. I still enjoy and probably these threads the most recently though i haven't been into box office gaf very much. There among the most technical threads on gaf and Chris provides a lot of interesting info.

Top Bottom