• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

Slayven

Jesus on the IT numbers. They launched that at just the right time.

Why you going to keep kicking them while they're down?

Spider-Man Homecoming continues its weird as hell box office run. It just feels like the film was at the right time to do what it's doing.
That Parker luck

Miles X

IT should make the top ten for the year, amazing.

1. Star Wars
2. Beauty & The Beast
3. Wonder Woman
4. Guardians 2
5. Justice League
6. Thor
7. Spiderman
8. Despicable 3 ($260m)
9. IT
10. Logan ($226m)

Also amazing is that a Transformers, Fast and Furious and Pirates film doesn't make top 10.

Hard to guess what sort of legs will have though, it's ripe for them. September is still fairly slow, amazing reviews and WOM, and it seems to be a film people will want to see again.

Conjuring Universe ranges from 1.2 to 2.5 multiplier. If IT lands $110m that's $240m - $385m

WB must be thrilled with how Wonder Woman and It broke out. Really impressive success stories. Makes up for their King Arthur doing poorly... "It" surpassed King Arthur's domestic earnings in one day.

Miles X

WB must be thrilled with how Wonder Woman and It broke out. Really impressive success stories. Makes up for their King Arthur doing poorly... "It" surpassed King Arthur's domestic earnings in one day.

If King Arthur didn't bomb and made many on par with what a $175m flick should do, they'd likely be above Disney for end of year BO take.

kswiston

Miles X's post above prompted me to go look up when we last had a horror film in the annual (domestic) Top 10. Not counting stuff like Signs, Scary Movie, or I Am Legend, it was the original Blair Witch Project.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
IT should make the top ten for the year, amazing.

1. Star Wars
2. Beauty & The Beast
3. Wonder Woman
4. Guardians 2
5. Justice League
6. Thor
7. Spiderman
8. Despicable 3 ($260m)
9. IT
10. Logan ($226m)

Also amazing is that a Transformers, Fast and Furious and Pirates film doesn't make top 10.

F&F not being in the top ten seems nuts, but it looks like you're right.

kswiston

Sorry was distracted by all that superhero fatigue I was seeing in the top ten.

That never gets old.

Superhero films will probably top 20% of the domestic box office this year if you throw Lego Batman in with the 6 live action Marvel/DC films.

That's about 4 Paramounts.

kswiston

I just don't know what to bully Bronson about.

There are seven major superhero films in 2017. One for every year Bronson has gone without a Tron sequel.

Edit: Back on topic, Rth suggest that IT's Saturday was looking similar to Friday, without the Thursday previews (high $30Ms). If that holds, $110-115M seems to be what tomorrow's estimate will bring.

I just don't know what to bully Bronson about.

Nothing, I am a perfect human who was just a groomsman for a wedding

There are seven major superhero films in 2017. One for every year Bronson has gone without a Tron sequel.

He got a cartoon followup that he didn't watch, that's on him.

Tron 2 should have never happened

Damn you.

Damn you all.

Tron Uprising sucked

snap

Banned
That game is trash though why would you oh shit that's right Bronson.

for once i have to side with bronson wtf bobby

edit: OT i got around to watching brick and got real bored with it to the point where i started looking at my phone, realized what was happening and went back to paying attention to the movie but got a little lost so i went back to my phone and repeat for about an hour

not really a huge fan

There isn't a single line of dialog in that very, very dialogue and story driven game that doesn't sound like this dude wrote it:

fellowkids.jpg

I punched out halfway through episode 2.

On one hand I kinda get it (shaka braaaaaah)

But on the other, a whole hell of a lot of kids I knew growing up talked like that, and I went to a charter school for technology/creative arts near Washington

And no fuck being on topic, I've activated Bronson's Daily Derail

snap

Banned
There isn't a single line of dialog in that very, very dialogue and story driven game that doesn't sound like this dude wrote it:

fellowkids.jpg

I punched out halfway through episode 2.

i'm the same age as max and chloe were in the original game and i maybe once or twice thought the slang was off (that plasma line and the "hella more trouble for this" chloe said in the first episode). other than that it seemed mostly accurate (and as someone who went to a private school like blackwell, i knew quite a lot of people who mapped quite well to characters in that game)

On one hand I kinda get it (shaka braaaaaah)

But on the other, a whole hell of a lot of kids I knew growing up talked like that, and I went to a charter school for technology/creative arts near Washington

And no fuck being on topic, I've activated Bronson's Daily Derail

shit bronson knows what's up

Watched IT last night...

Umm I don't know what I expected, never saw the first one, I wanted it to be scary, but I feel like it was more comedy than thriller, maybe that's what this movie was supposed to be, anyways can't help but be disappointed

Got to see American assassin today, went in blind came out very surprised, one of the better espionage type movies I've seen in a while.

Nobody sounded like an actual kid in that game. It was like an Alien Resurrection chamber of failed Whedon clones barfing into a laptop until it shorted out, and the rescued hard-drive was turned into a video game.

I'm sure if I'd stuck around and allowed myself to get used to that horseshit I might have been pulled in and appreciated it. Sorta like how people think Kojima is actually a good storyteller as opposed to what he was, which is Konami's Zack Snyder.

But I wasn't going to do that to myself.

snap

Banned
How long til we start fan-casting the Life is Strange movie?

they're doing a tv show

production company is fuckin trash tho

Nobody sounded like an actual kid in that game. It was like an Alien Resurrection chamber of failed Whedon clones barfing into a laptop until it shorted out, and the rescued hard-drive was turned into a video game.

I'm sure if I'd stuck around and allowed myself to get used to that horseshit I might have been pulled in and appreciated it. Sorta like how people think Kojima is actually a good storyteller as opposed to what he was, which is Konami's Zack Snyder.

But I wasn't going to do that to myself.

wasn't going to do the ageism thing but man maybe it really is an age thing

cuz i was a freshman in college when it came out (and in 2013, when the game takes place, i was a senior in a preppy private high school like blackwell) and i thought it was quite accurate to the shit me and my friends used to say (well, we didn't use hella but we ran other slang into the fucking ground like using "rekt" and other variants for /years/ after it should've stopped)

we also threw this video around a lot, i'm ashamed to say

GET THE JPEG

You the best, man.

wasn't going to do the ageism thing but man maybe it really is an age thing

Nah, it's not really an age thing. I mean, I'm old, but I'm not like, hermetically sealed away from kids, either. I have nephews/nieces in that age range. I use public transit in a major metropolis and my office hours basically line up exactly with the kids going to and getting out of school, so often my rides are (garbage fires of awfulness) full of high school kids running their yap all day. Plus I work at an alt-weekly which tends to have a younger readership than most papers (although that's basically, at this point, anyone younger than 55, so hey)

Basically - I'm pretty familiar with the youthspeak, and it rang waaaaay fucking false to me.

Maybe it's not an age thing? Maybe it's a region thing. I dunno.

Top Bottom