• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•12-14•15 - It's Jurassic World, we all just live in it, dino-might!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny as hell people using Jurassic World of all movies to prop up against Avatar. People sure like their dinosaurs. Fake-ass "dinosaurs" in this movie's case, anyway.

No doubt. When you think about James Cameron, first thing that comes to mind is "Man, that James Cameron sure is pretentious."

And you're totally right. Colin Trevorrow, an absolute nobody, crafts and executes action sequences better than the pretentious douche responsible for Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2 and True Lies. That Colin Trevorrow, what a genius, that guy. He will user a new era of cinematic revolution, I say. A Pre and Post-Trevorrow age, if you will.

I don't think he is talking about the director

It's funny as hell people using Jurassic World of all movies to prop up against Avatar. People sure like their dinosaurs. Fake-ass "dinosaurs" in this movie's case, anyway.

No doubt. When you think about James Cameron, first thing that comes to mind is "Man, that James Cameron sure is pretentious."

And you're totally right. Colin Trevorrow, an absolute nobody, crafts and executes action sequences better than the pretentious douche responsible for Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2 and True Lies. That Colin Trevorrow, what a genius, that guy. He will user a new era of cinematic revolution, I say. A Pre and Post-Trevorrow age, if you will.

Your bringing up Cameron's works from the 80s and 90s demonstrates how weak your argument is. We are talking about avatar not the work he did back in the glory days 20 years ago. If we go by your logic George Lucas is still the greatest filmmaker of all time.

Not sure what bringing up that trevorrow is a nobody is supposed to suggest. The fact that he was a nobody makes his success all the more impressive and remember Cameron was a nobody once too

3N16MA

Banned
If it weren't for its insane box office gross, which inevitably causes it to be mentioned in threads like this, I'm certain Avatar wouldn't be discussed at all. For all the talk about how competently it was made, or how incredible its action sequences were (they personally did nothing for me), the movie ultimately had no impact on the movie going public.That is really the most amazing thing about it: how few people give a shit about it.

Disney cared enough to pour 500M into creating Avatar Land. With a huge attraction at Disney and a series of films that won't see 8 year gaps, that could change.

I'm starting to get a bit tired of the Mad Max fan wank. It's a phenomenal film in just about every respect but it's almost too well balanced. The action is leagues ahead of most modern films from a technical point of view but the movie isn't very suspenseful and the action lacks marked highs and lows.

And that's not even a mark against the film because I don't think that was Miller's aim. He wasn't trying to make an action thrill ride, he was trying to tell a story and build a world with action set pieces supplementing the plot. I don't think the action in Mad Max was the driving (heh) force behind the film at all. To put it another way, I wouldn't sell someone on Mad Max by describing the action as the hook, I'd describe the world building, complex characters, and impeccable editing. This is why people jerking off over the action in Mad Max confuses me, because it's like they didn't take the time to think about the film at all. It's like because Mad Max is arguably the best film so far this year, it obviously has to also have the best action. I simply don't think that's true.

Land Before Time is equal to Jurassic Park for me, nostalgia be dammed.

Lacks suspense? Foh with that, Furiosa getting stabbed in that final sequence had more suspense alone than anything else action-wise this year

Let's not forget max trying to escape from citadel in the intro, or the entire tornado sequence

I dunno how anybody can say the action isn't one of the film's strengths. Miller is one of the fathers of suspenseful chase films and it shows here

And you word your post like those aims are mutually exclusive. World building in this was great but he also clearly set out to make an edge of the seat chase movie here too

He proved with this movie that he's far better than modern action filmmakers in staging and shooting action sequences. Honestly his only rival at this point is cameron and even then I prefer this over the former's later movies. This film made me really wish for cameron to drop avatar and go for that grimy sci-fi action he was known for

Edit: I'm interested in hearing what you found to have better action this year tho, even putting my fanboyism for this movie aside I'm having a hard time thinking of anything remotely as impressive

guek

Banned
Nothing GIF worthy, no memorable characters, no memorable lines, no iconic moments. It's ability to slip through the public consciousness without leaving a glimpse of an impact is, frankly, awe-inspiring.
This seems like wilful ignorance to me. It's "slipped through the public consciousness" because the franchise has gone 6 years without being touched. That's a really long time in pop culture. How much Jurassic Park stuff did you see in the public consciousness after JP3 in 2001? Do you really think people would still be talking about Jurassic World in 6 years if Universal did nothing with the franchise at all between then and now?

A lot of you don't like Avatar. I get it. I think the movie is average at best. But trying to rewrite history around a narrative that says the public didn't care for it all that much or that it didn't make a monumental impact on pop culture for some time following its release is just sad pandering to your own biases against the film.

Eidan

This seems like wilful ignorance to me. It's "slipped through the public consciousness" because the franchise has gone 6 years without being touched. That's a really long time in pop culture. How much Jurassic Park stuff did you see in the public consciousness after JP3 in 2001? Do you really think people would still be talking about Jurassic World in 6 years if Universal did nothing with the franchise at all between then and now?

A lot of you don't like Avatar. I get it. I think the movie is average at best. But trying to rewrite history around a narrative that says the public didn't care for it all that much or that it didn't make a monumental impact on pop culture for some time following its release is just sad pandering to your own biases against the film.

I think this is a weak argument honestly. Movies that have grossed far less than Avatar, and did not have the benefit of being part of a franchise, have had far greater impact culturally than Avatar has so far demonstrated. The movie grossed over $700 million in the U.S. alone. I don't care that it's been years since a sequel, it should already have a noticeable impact. It simply doesn't. You'll see more references to Mean Girls or Forrest Gump than you'll ever see of Avatar.

I don't think I'm re-writing history. The movie was talked about when it was in theaters, and wasn't when it left.

jett

D-Member
Your bringing up Cameron's works from the 80s and 90s demonstrates how weak your argument is. We are talking about avatar not the work he did back in the glory days 20 years ago. If we go by your logic George Lucas is still the greatest filmmaker of all time.

Not sure what bringing up that trevorrow is a nobody is supposed to suggest. The fact that he was a nobody makes his success all the more impressive and remember Cameron was a nobody once too

Just a reminder that Avatar was made by the veritable master of action movies and that---

Gambit thinks JW is better than anything Spielberg has done in the last 15 years. It's weird.

Oh ok.

guek

Banned
Lacks suspense? Foh with that, Furiosa getting stabbed in that final sequence had more suspense alone than anything else action-wise this year

Let's not forget max trying to escape from citadel in the intro, or the entire tornado sequence

I dunno how anybody can say the action isn't one of the film's strengths. Miller is one of the fathers of suspenseful chase films and it shows here
I'd argue the church scene in Kingsmen is the most exciting action set piece I've seen this year. For a chase movie, I surprisingly didn't find Mad Max very suspenseful.

Let's take the climax for example.
When Furiosa tells Joe "remember me?" before killing him, that scene is extremely anticlimactic. It's built up around a conflict the audience doesn't even know anything about. Why does Furiosa hate Joe? Why does she want revenge? The movie doesn't say, which is why her killing Joe had more to do with fleshing out her character and the world over building a crescendo into a spectacular climax. As an observer, I find it hard to care that Furiosa delivers the death blow to Joe, but Miller obviously wants you to know it meant a lot yo her. He does that a lot in the movie, building up backstory that means more to the characters than it does to the viewer from a plot point of view. There are no scenes in that movie that made me want to yell "fuck yeah!" or jump out of my seat. The opening chase through the caves is probably the most suspenseful part of the entire movie. That and maybe the lead up to Nux failing for a third time with Joe's pistol.

The action in Mad Max is a steady stream of quality entertainment but the film lacks major action set pieces and rather opts to have the world be the focal point highlighted by the action.

If Inside out can pull it off and not drop substantially, will this be the first time two different movies have both made 100 million in a single weekend? Or has that happened before?

Jurassic World in the hands of any of the apes directors or Joe Cornish would have been a lot better

I dunno what Spielberg and co were thinking with hiring trevorrow, but it certainly paid off for them financially tho

Edit: lol huge agree to disagree on that one guek. My palms got sweaty during the movie's action sequences. Lacks major action sequwnces is such a crazy opinion to have imo. The whole movie is a masterclass in it

kswiston

If Inside out can pull it off and not drop substantially, will this be the first time two different movies have both made 100 million in a single weekend? Or has that happened before?

Two films have never grossed $70M in the same weekend. Inside Out will be the record breaking second place regardless of what it grosses, since that first day makes less than $70M impossible.

EDIT: As long as a director is competent, it doesn't matter who they get to direct franchise blockbusters. You'd think this would be obvious looking at the list of $1B+ films :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd argue the church scene in Kingsmen is the most exciting action set piece I've seen this year. For a chase movie, I surprisingly didn't find Mad Max very suspenseful.

Let's take the climax for example.
When Furiosa tells Joe "remember me?" before killing him, that scene is extremely anticlimactic. It's built up around a conflict the audience doesn't even know anything about. Why does Furiosa hate Joe? Why does she want revenge? The movie doesn't say, which is why her killing Joe had more to do with fleshing out her character and the world over building a crescendo into a spectacular climax. As an observer, I find it hard to care that Furiosa delivers the death blow to Joe, but Miller obviously wants you to know it meant a lot yo her. He does that a lot in the movie, building up backstory that means more to the characters than it does to the viewer from a plot point of view. There are no scenes in that movie that made me want to yell "fuck yeah!" or jump out of my seat. The opening chase through the caves is probably the most suspenseful part of the entire movie. That and maybe the lead up to Nux failing for a third time with Joe's pistol.

The action in Mad Max is a steady stream of quality entertainment but the film lacks major action set pieces and rather opts to have the world be the focal point highlighted by the action.
I'd suggest the problem is with you if you can't piece together some motivation for Furiosa. There is more than enough said and shown to come up with a few strong possibilities. Why does everything have to be made explicit and hit the viewer over the head? Some mystery is good.

Lacks major action set pieces... I can't even begin to make sense of that.

I'd agree that yes, the church scene in Kingsman > any single scene in Fury Road (yes, it was THAT good.)

Other than that, Fury Road outclasses it very easily.

kswiston

So Rth at the BOT forums is putting the early estimate for Inside Out's Saturday at 33-35M. That would give it a $67-70M 2-day gross, which is about where tracking was putting the entire weekend.

With Father's Day tomorrow, I think that $93M will be the low end for Inside Out if it manages that $33M Saturday. $95-100M is definitely on the table.

wachie

So Rth at the BOT forums is putting the early estimate for Inside Out's Saturday at 33-35M. That would give it a $67-70M 2-day gross, which is about where tracking was putting the entire weekend.

With Father's Day tomorrow, I think that $93M will be the low end for Inside Out if it manages that $33M Saturday. $95-100M is definitely on the table.
Dat hunger.

Game4life

Banned
I'd agree that yes, the church scene in Kingsman > any single scene in Fury Road (yes, it was THAT good.)

Other than that, Fury Road outclasses it very easily.

Storm scene >>>>>>> Church Scene. Storm scene looked jaw dropping. Church Scene was going on and on and I was like enough already we get the point.

jett

D-Member

Audiences are just going out in droves to movie theaters this year.

What's up with that.

So what are they saying for JW's saturday then? Is there a small chance that Inside Out pull off an upset this weekend?

kswiston

So we are back to the Avengers argument then? We all know craft services is why people went to the movie in the end.

Actually I know why Avengers was so huge. Bryan Booth: Dimmer Board Operator. He was also the dimmer board operator on Star Trek (2009), Iron Man 3, and Jurassic World which all smashed expectations. He was not the dimmer board operator on Age of Ultron. Coincidence? I think not.

numble

The water in the cup and "nature finds a way" often shows up in public consciousness.

Storm scene >>>>>>> Church Scene. Storm scene looked jaw dropping. Church Scene was going on and on and I was like enough already we get the point.
Honestly, the storm scene was pretty as a painting, but it's nowhere near as original or inventive or fun as the
poles
near the end. A much better rival for the church sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom