• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•21-23•15 - Knockin' niggaz out the box weekly... challengers DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
*snicker*

grwMDz2.jpg

lol

Cheebo

Banned
Green Lantern is kind of fun, its a a terrible movie but its not a hard watch. Kind of works as mindless entertainment of you stumble upon it on HBO or something. F4 is far far worse.

guek

Banned
Green Lantern is kind of fun, its a a terrible movie but its not a hard watch. Kind of works as mindless entertainment of you stumble upon it on HBO or something. F4 is far far worse.
Yeah its one of those movies I probably would have watched if it popped up on tv as a kid on a lazy Saturday. Green Lantern is just kind of boring.

I'll probably redbox F4 at some point though out of morbid curiosity and drink until I can sit through all of it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's...good, right?

It's great. Hoping with China holiday coming up that Terminator Genisys can keep up the momentum.

$110-120 finish is a certainty in China, but I'm hoping it does better and its legs extends to $150 million. We'll see when the weekend box-office totals come up, and we'll be able to gauge where it's going.

Crazy. And People thought that a lot of Blockbusters will bomb this year. And what happened? One passed billion after another.
Pretty much. $2 billion is pretty much the new billion dollar mark at this point (I wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm, Marvel of Universal would be the next to pass that mark at this point.)

kswiston

Looks like War Room will end up in the $8-10M range this weekend, which is alright given its budget and the fact that it is only in 1100 theatres. We Are Your Friends is a flop. 2300 venues and early numbers are pointing to a $3M weekend. No Escape will make a little over $10M for its 5-day opening.

Compton will be #1 again, but it looks like it will have a high 40s/low 50s drop.

Crazy. And People thought that a lot of Blockbusters will bomb this year. And what happened? One passed billion after another.

A lot of larger budget films did bomb (or at least disappoint) this year. Also, a lot of films that were originally slated for this year moved into 2016 and 2017.

mreddie

When the rerelease of Jurassic is the biggest thing coming to theaters, yeah, the dry spell has begun, did anyone make the Summer Movie report card thread?

Toothless

Apparently We Are Your Friends is horribly bombing with a sub-3M opening weekend in the cards. WB should've taken a look at SpongeBob's performance earlier this year and put that Regular Show Movie in theaters instead. Probably could've made about 40M total, which would be low, but still a profit.

ItIsOkBro

Apparently We Are Your Friends is horribly bombing with a sub-3M opening weekend in the cards. WB should've taken a look at SpongeBob's performance earlier this year and put that Regular Show Movie in theaters instead. Probably could've made about 40M total, which would be low, but still a profit.

I saw the trailer for that movie, and all I could think was, that's a really bad name for a movie.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) War Room - $3.9M
2) Straight Outta Compton - $3.8M - $125M total
3) No Escape - $2.4M
4) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $2.2M - $164M total
5) The Man From Uncle - $1.3M - $31M total
6) Sinister 2 - $1.2M - $15M total
7) Hitman: Agent 47 - $1.1M - $13M total
8) The Gift - $810k - $34M total
9) American Ultra - $810k - $9M total
10) Jurassic World - $790k (+290%) - $641M total
11) Ant-Man - $760k - $167M total
12) We are Your Friends - $725k

So long summer.

We are Your Friends is doing even worse than expected. It will not make the top 10 this weekend, even with the box office being as soft as it is.

Jurassic World received a huge bump as expected. It might crawl to $650M with Labor Day next weekend, but it still won't hit Titanic numbers to take the #2 spot.

mreddie

I have no idea what the fuck We are Your Friends is, wiki doesn't really tell me shit and oh god, the Jebus movies are about to make another comeback are they?

Lima

It's a movie about EDM with Zac Effron. Apparently it's bad too.

It's a movie about rich white kids who live in their parents pool house and pretty much do nothing. Oh and they've got dreams and shit but a whole lot of problems too. Blabla cry me a river. Hard to care for any of the characters. At least the soundtrack was really good.

FTF

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) War Room - $3.9M
2) Straight Outta Compton - $3.8M - $125M total
3) No Escape - $2.4M
4) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $2.2M - $164M total
5) The Man From Uncle - $1.3M - $31M total
6) Sinister 2 - $1.2M - $15M total
7) Hitman: Agent 47 - $1.1M - $13M total
8) The Gift - $810k - $34M total
9) American Ultra - $810k - $9M total
10) Jurassic World - $790k (+290%) - $641M total
11) Ant-Man - $760k - $167M total
12) We are Your Friends - $725k

So long summer.

yeah seriously, is it December 18th yet?

kswiston

Yo where that Fantastic 4

Friday reports only cover the top 10 or so films. We will have to wait for the full weekend numbers to hear from Fantastic Four. I won't expect much though. The film lost another 900 venues this weekend, and is now playing in fewer theatres than Ant-Man or Minions.

Cheebo

Banned
yeah seriously, is it December 18th yet?
You don't have to wait that long for massive blockbusters. Spectre is going to be massive, my gut feeling is it will pull off a billion like Skyfall or at least near a billion.

guek

Banned
Friday reports only cover the top 10 or so films. We will have to wait for the full weekend numbers to hear from Fantastic Four. I won't expect much though. The film lost another 900 venues this weekend, and is now playing in fewer theatres than Ant-Man or Minions.

I said goddamn

kswiston

The next fairly big opening will be The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. Tracking has it opening in the $50M range, which would easily be a new September opening record.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have no idea what the fuck We are Your Friends is, wiki doesn't really tell me shit and oh god, the Jebus movies are about to make another comeback are they?
They were continuing to come regardless. 90 Minutes in Heaven in two weeks. The bigger budgeted Miracles From Heaven in March. God's Not Dead 2, coming next Easter!

kswiston

They were continuing to come regardless. 90 Minutes in Heaven in two weeks. The bigger budgeted Miracles From Heaven in March. God's Not Dead 2, coming next Easter!

Weren't all of the evil atheists punished and everyone converted to Christianity before attending a Newsboys concert by the end of the first film? What's left to accomplish in a sequel?

Slayven

Between F4 and HItman, I would love to be in Fox meetings this quarter. I would pay 15 bucks just to stream them

guek

Banned
Between F4 and HItman, I would love to be in Fox meetings this quarter. I would pay 15 bucks just to stream them
I feel like a slice of the merchandising rights would be more than enough incentive for Fox to hand over the F4 license to use in the MCU but that's probably more than Disney would ever be willing to give up.

Slayven

I feel like a slice of the merchandising rights would be more than enough incentive for Fox to hand over the F4 license to use in the MCU but that's probably more than Disney would ever be willing to give up.

Thats a nonstarter right there. Disney rather give you Roy's corpse, if a deal does happen it will be for the x-men live action tv rights.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Weren't all of the evil atheists punished and everyone converted to Christianity before attending a Newsboys concert by the end of the first film? What's left to accomplish in a sequel?
There are still evil secular educational institutions to demonize.
The sequel to the faith-based mega-hit stars Melissa Joan Hart, who's best known for her roles in the TV series "Clarissa Explains It All" and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch," and actor Jesse Metcalf who made a name himself as the adulterous landscaper on ABC's "Desperate Housewives."

Other cameos include Hayley Orrantia of "The Goldbergs," Ernie Hudson from "Ghostbusters," model Robin Givens and singer Pat Boone.

Stars from the original "God's Not Dead" film Trisha LaFache, Benjamin Onyango, Paul Kwo and David A.R. White will be returning for the second installment. The Newsboys will also have a cameo.

"God's Not Dead 2: He's Surely Alive" takes place in the fictional town of Hope Springs, Arkansas, at a high school where teacher Grace Wesley, played by Hart, faces opposition when she tries to speak about Jesus Christ openly in her classroom.

"With the principal and superintendent teaming up with a zealous civil liberties group represented by an attorney with no love lost for God, Grace faces an epic court case with the help of sympathetic and charismatic defense lawyer, that could cost her the career she had always dreamed of — and expel God from the classroom once and for all," reads a description of the film that was shared with The Christian Post.
Also, yet another Duck Dynasty figure will be making a cameo.

Damned public high schools, not letting teachers proselytize!

kswiston

There are still evil secular educational institutions to demonize.

Also, yet another Duck Dynasty figure will be making a cameo.

Damned public high schools, not letting teachers proselytize!

So, I guess the third film will be where the plucky Christian lead finally throws down that pesky division between church and state after a hard fought battle with the godless Supreme Court.

i liked sky high though

I do too.

It's still a decade old low budget family film not based on any property up against one of Fox's tentpole summer films.

we legitimately sold like 3 tickets total to We Are Your Friends at the theater i work at last night

i've have literally never heard of War Room and neither did my coworkers but it had a bit of a line to get in last night and we sold alot of tickets

I haven't seen F4 yet, but this is where I sit. I just assume those that say GL is one of the worst movies ever are young or haven't seen a ton of super hero movies. I'd say it's middle of the pack. Catwoman, Steel, Batman & Robin, Superman 3/4, pretty much every marvel movie before Singer's X men or Raimi's Spiderman are complete horse shit.

Looks like Man from uncle is finally in town, going to give it a watch tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom