• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 07•20-22•12 - and still we rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

just to say: what happened was indeed a horrific tragedy, and this is in no way meant to be insensitive. We all enjoy box office discussion, so let us do that, with all due respect. :)

5gAW8.jpg
CNqAg.jpg
hFY2L.jpg
WUlSX.jpg
CImmm.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
o71uG.gif
87% The Dark Knight Rises
aucdr.gif
39% Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D
x5rtg.gif
74% The Amazing Spider-Man
SDv4n.gif
68% Ted
JfedT.gif
77% Brave

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

WB releases 'Dark Knight' tally: $160.9 mil. Studio had suspended B.O. reporting out of respect for Aurora victims

It's official: "The Dark Knight Rises" earned $160.9 million in three days, making it the third-highest domestic bow ever.

Warner Bros. released Monday its final box office figures for Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight Rises" after deciding to suspend sending the usual weekend estimates, out of respect for the victims of the July 20 shooting in Aurora, Colo. The other majors, along with exhibs and B.O. aggregate Rentrak, joined WB in an unprecedented show of solidarity.

Even though "TDKR" became the biggest 2D release of all time, surpassing 2008's "The Dark Knight" ($158 million), Warners stayed respectively quiet about the milestone achievement.

Warners launched the film in 17 overseas territories, where it collected $88 million, including $4.8 million from Imax. Pic's domestic Imax contribution totaled $19 million, beating the mega-screen's previous opening record ($15.5 million) set by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

There's no question that domestic B.O. for "The Dark Knight Rises" was affected by Friday's tragedy.

The Batman finale originally was expected to land in the $175 million range, which would have made it the second-highest domestic opening, behind "The Avengers" ($207 million), but ahead of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" ($169 million).

Second to Batman this weekend, Fox's soph-sesh holdover "Ice Age: Continental Drift" grossed $20.4 million (off 56%) for a Stateside cume of $88.8 million, while Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" followed with $10.9 million, down 69% in its third Stateside frame, totaling $228.6 million domestically.​

*click pic for full list/source*

I swear if they reboot batman in the next 5-6 years I'll be pissed. Of course Hollywood won't let it sit any longer than it takes to put a team together.

How is Brave holding up to other Pixar releases in the last few years?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just to get it out of the way since it'll inevitably be brought up as people keep asking about the 3d tax:

Assuming the 163m number holds Avengers OW would have just beat that number without the 3d margin: 52% of it was reportedly 3d, so assuming an average 3d margin of 35% would mean Avengers OW would be around 170 instead of 207. You'd need to raise that to 40% to get it around 165.

Just to get it out of the way since it'll inevitably be brought up as people keep asking about the 3d tax:

Assuming the 163m number holds Avengers OW would have just beat that number without the 3d margin: 52% of it was reportedly 3d, so assuming an average 3d margin of 35% would mean Avengers OW would be around 170 instead of 207. You'd need to raise that to 40% to get it around 165.
How about you factor in the tragic events that took place in Aurora, nevermind a fucking 3D tax.

It was tracking to do $180-190 before the shooting so I think that probably played a much bigger part than the 3D tax.

kswiston

How about you factor in the fact the tragic events that took place in Aurora, nevermind a fucking 3D tax.

Box Office always relies on external factors to some extent. Bad storms, or sports matches, or other things also impact grosses. I think that it is evident that TDKR lost some business due to the shootings, but these things happen. No use speculating on what could have been, since you can do that with every release.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The shooting clearly affected numbers. Will be interesting to see if it holds a bit better the next 2 weeks because people stayed away this weekend, or if the shooting will impact the movie permanently.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It was tracking to do $180-190 before the shooting so I think that probably played a much bigger part than the 3D tax.

Agreed. Deadline was reporting at one point that this weekend was supposed to be tracking higher than last year's weekend overall even with the tragedy, so there's undoubtedly been an effect on TDKR viewings.

Good numbers by TDKR considering the circumstances. I personally didn't like the movie, and the reactions among my friends were mixed, so I am curious about how good legs it will have in the following weeks. I doubt that it will have any chance of beating the Avengers, but I am looking forward to see how it pans out both in worldwide and domestic gross.

kswiston

Has 3D something to do with it?

Avengers has the highest first weekend by far going by dollar gross. However, the Avengers, The Dark Knight, and Spider-man 3 all sold around the same number of tickets first weekend if you take the 3D premiums and inflation into account. If the $163M number sticks for TDKR, it will have sold slightly less tickets than those three movies, but slightly more than Deathly Hallows 2 and The Hunger Games.

How about you factor in the fact the tragic events that took place in Aurora, nevermind a fucking 3D tax.

Even without the tragedy it would have still "lost". No way the number of people that didnt go because of the shooting makes up the difference in OW. The 3d makes a difference but nevermind that...

Nibel

Avengers has the highest first weekend by far going by dollar gross. However, the Avengers, The Dark Knight, and Spider-man 3 all sold around the same number of tickets first weekend if you take the 3D premiums and inflation into account. If the $163M number sticks for TDKR, it will have sold slightly less tickets than those three movies, but slightly more than Deathly Hallows 2 and The Hunger Games.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
Can't wait to see TDKR

JB1981

Good numbers by TDKR considering the circumstances. I personally didn't like the movie, and the reactions among my friends were mixed, so I am curious about how good legs it will have in the following weeks. I doubt that it will have any chance of beating the Avengers, but I am looking forward to see how it pans out both in worldwide and domestic gross.

I think it's a damn good movie but it's not the kind of easily digestible and enjoyable mainstream, crowd-pleasing entertainment that Avengers is. This is a very bleak movie.

Even without the tragedy it would have still "lost". No way the number of people that didnt go because of the shooting makes up the difference in OW. The 3d makes a difference but nevermind that...
Predictions ranged from 180M-215M.

We'll never know what would've happened, and surpassing Avengers certainly wouldn't have been an easy task, but to be a rabid fanboy and go on about how much Avengers did better is disgusting behavior.

We'll never know what would've happened, and surpassing Avengers wouldn't have been an easy task, but to be a rabid fanboy and go on about how much Avengers did better is disgusting behavior.

you're doing exactly the same just the other way around, which is disgusting.

kswiston

We'll never know what happened, but to be a rabid fanboy and go on about how much Avengers did better is disgusting behavior.

The Mojo prediction was a little out there, but I agree that most people saw this coming in at 180-190M. After it was reported that the midnights (which were not affected by the shooting) ended up being $30M, TDKR was never reaching $215M.

jerry1594

OK... yes it's a Batman movie. But this ain't no to take the whole family to see, like the Avengers was.

Sure it is. The last two were, as they were Batman movies. Maybe it wouldn't appeal so much to 6-year-olds, but I think 13 and up is a safe demographic for it.

We'll never know what would've happened, and surpassing Avengers wouldn't have been an easy task, but to be a rabid fanboy and go on about how much Avengers did better is disgusting behavior.

What should this thread be about then? You're coming off as a passively bitter fanboy. Nobody is giving you the raspberry or neglecting to mention the circumstances.

quickwhips

I think it's a damn good movie but it's not the kind of easily digestible and enjoyable mainstream, crowd-pleasing entertainment that Avengers is. This is a very bleak movie.

So That's what that feels like...Movie was just as mainstream as Avengers just not as fun or as great as The Dark Knight.

Clegg

Why do we even care about how much money TDKR made. Its obviously going to surpass its budget by many times and its been generally well received by critics and moviegoers.

Shouldn't that be enough?

mjc

We'll never know what would've happened, and surpassing Avengers certainly wouldn't have been an easy task, but to be a rabid fanboy and go on about how much Avengers did better is disgusting behavior.

You've been on the opposite side of the coin for months now, and that's just as bad. Gloating/complaining from either side isn't very becoming considering the events of this weekend.

Im positive the shooting not happening would not have resulted 50+ million. Keep in mind youre the guy that downplayed the Avengers success every chance you got. Horrible tragedy and a shame the way it and TDKR will always be linked but this is the Box Office thread, its about numbers.

Never saw the Avengers myself, but I imagine that more than a few posters secretly hoped for the Avengers to beat TDKR simply because how Wheadon and his movie was genereally mocked around here back in April, and because of how TDKR was hyped to be the second comming, both in terms of gross and critical acclaim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom