• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 07•20-22•12 - and still we rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Why do we even care about how much money TDKR made. Its obviously going to surpass its budget by many times and its been generally well received by critics and moviegoers.

Shouldn't that be enough?
Are you new here?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why do we even care about how much money TDKR made. Its obviously going to surpass its budget by many times and its been generally well received by critics and moviegoers.

Shouldn't that be enough?

So you come into a box office thread and complain about why we talk about #'s and etc.

Hope you never go to gaming side and talk in a NPD thread...

Also some just like talking about, shocking to some, Yes we have no vested interest, but it's fun taking sides, have banter and have #'s/totals/info to combat against each other

Seriously, we are just making a game out of it

Please stop cloaking your obvious anger at the results in self-righteous posturing.

Is anything I'm saying not true?

You guys can continue on and eventually snowball into a fanboy shitfest, I'll just stay out of it this time.

Only $163 million? The Dark Knight Bombed!

I don't think the shooting hurt the movie too much. That $190 million estimate was just too unrealistic.

mollipen

I don't think the shooting hurt the movie too much. That $190 million estimate was just too unrealistic.

In my group of six people who were going to see it, one person backed out because of the shooting. Anecdotal and all of that, but I hadn't been expecting him to give up what was essentially a free ticket to the movie.

So, the effect the shooting had on attendance could be higher than some might expect.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Also, and this is just for my market obviously, but where I live it went from literally a TDKR commercial every 15 minutes to absolutely zero starting Saturday.

Clegg

So you come into a box office thread and complain about why we talk about #'s and etc.

Hope you never go to gaming side and talk in a NPD thread...

Also some just like talking about, shocking to some, Yes we have no vested interest, but it's fun taking sides, have banter and have #'s/totals/info to combat against each other

Seriously, we are just making a game out of it

Talking about numbers is fine. I just think that it matters very little considering whats happened this weekend.

Never saw the Avengers myself, but I imagine that more than a few posters secretly hoped for the Avengers to beat TDKR simply because how Wheadon and his movie was genereally mocked around here back in April, and because of how TDKR was hyped to be the second comming, both in terms of gross and critical acclaim.

Yeah I could see that.
I wasn't able to see DKR this weekend, I wonder how is stacks up to the first two.

JeTmAn81

My 7 pm Saturday screening of Batman was less than half full, so at least in my town that's a sure sign that people stayed away because of the shooting. I couldn't believe the number of empty seats in a showing of such an anticipated movie on a Saturday night of opening weekend.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Talking about numbers is fine. I just think that it matters very little considering whats happened this weekend.

This will sound horrible, but do you want everyone to shape their every single thought around that event? Its definitely bad, yes, and no one should joke about it especially since its been so recent, but there's no way you can expect every conversation to be shaped by it.

dmshaposv

The shooting has really killed my interest in this week's numbers.

This thread could've been the most fun and crazy BO threads in the past 4 years, but comes so dry and unnecessary (in the wake of the shootings tragedy).

Kevtones

leaving all that behind, TDKR doesn't deserve beating the avengers or TDK, the movie is just not that good.

Yep. It's definitely more watchable than TASM but I'm surprised more of 'film-GAF' isn't criticizing the awful framework holding the story together.

GraveRobberX

Yes it was a tragedy, but BO office thread is about #'s and banter from people talking about why such and such over/under performed or bombed out of existence

This is no new trend of GAF, we have been talking in these threads weekly for years

We even had a doppelganger try to kill the original OP and take some shine
So you know something in this thread matters and resonates with people that they like talking about that's all

I do admit that no one dared to leave from the fire exits, usually people want to leave through their to the parking lot, most went back up the aisles, through the theater and to their cars
So there was some tension
Also there were security @ my theater, 2-3 ushers in suits (AMC security, making the rounds, and going into each showing... not only for TDKR, all theaters)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From the box office article circulating, TDKR scored an A from the audience exit polls. Should be interesting to see what legs it has.

This is the first time i see a dip in BO take on Saturday in comparison to Friday´s BO. It was a huge dip at that. The tragedy had a big effect on TDKR BO.

Massive dip for IA4 and TAS is trucking along. Ted is doing really really good. Surprise hit of the year.

jerry1594

Is anything I'm saying not true?

You guys can continue on and eventually snowball into a fanboy shitfest, I'll just stay out of it this time.

It's all true. But those were predictions and they didn't come true because 12 people were killed and dozens injured after the midnight premier of the movie. Nobody here is rubbing anything in your face, they are simply saying that The Avenger's weekend BO beat The Dark Knight Rises' BO. You're pretending to take this as insensitive fanboyism but firing back with some transparent bullshit. I'm curious, what would you have said if the same thing happened, but instead of TDKR moviegoers being shot, people coming out of Moonrise Kingdom were killed and Batman beat out The Avengers at the weekend box office?

shira

Yes it was a tragedy, but BO office thread is about #'s and banter from people talking about why such and such over/under performed or bombed out of existence

This is no new trend of GAF, we have been talking in these threads weekly for years

We even had a doppelganger try to kill the original OP and take some shine
So you know something in this thread matters and resonates with people that they like talking about that's all

I do admit that no one dared to leave from the fire exits, usually people want to leave through their to the parking lot, most went back up the aisles, through the theater and to their cars
So there was some tension
Also there were security @ my theater, 2-3 ushers in suits (AMC security, making the rounds, and going into each showing... not only for TDKR, all theaters)
10 points for gryffyndor

kswiston

This is the first time i see a dip in BO take on Saturday in comparison to Friday´s BO. It was a huge dip at that. The tragedy had a big effect on TDKR BO.

Massive dip for IA4 and TAS is trucking along. Ted is doing really really good. Surprise hit of the year.

Are you talking about the entirety of box office business this Friday, or just TDKR? Because almost every major blockbuster drops on Saturday from Friday. Even TDK was down close to 30% on Saturday. It was even down without midnights being included.

GraveRobberX

From the box office article circulating, TDKR scored an A from the audience exit polls. Should be interesting to see what legs it has.

I wanna see it again

I think there will be double and triple dippers

Also some that were hesitant might go wit those who already saw, so $$$$ might come as a slow burn

Also Sony 4K Digital Projectors are fucking GORGEOUS!

I know most won't remember, but I was going on about 48FPS on Prometheus in it's OT, well now I know why, it was a 4K theater
Most of the time movies I saw was on 2K projectors, the 4K gave me that Motion+ effect

I know some of you can call bullshit on me, but there's a huge difference from 1080p, 2K, and 4K... can't wait to see 8K lol
The picture was crisp as fuck at my theater, and the speakers had OOMPH! to them
Some season really looked real motion, no artifact/fuzziness you get with older projectors

10 points for gryffyndor

Heh, <3

Caboose

Pretty much everyone is saying the movie gets better on second viewing, even the people who were pretty mum on it as first.

So, seems to be the exact opposite of what you're saying.
"Pretty much everyone"= 20-30 people you've talked to? Anecdotal evidence at best.

hmmmm numbers are guesstimates pulled out of analysts ass , not by studios, I think we on GAF should have ALSO refrained from making this thread before Monday

"Pretty much everyone"= 20-30 people you've talked to? Anecdotal evidence at best.

What?

He's saying that GAF will become more attuned to the movie's problems over time, yet popular GAF consensus seems to be that the movie gets better on repeat viewings.

kswiston

hmmmm numbers are guesstimates pulled out of analysts ass , not by studios, I think we on GAF should have ALSO refrained from making this thread before Monday

They won't be off by like 10% or anything, some of the people doing the estimates do have access to some info. We will just put the real numbers in when we get them tomorrow.

DMczaf

Outside of TDKR dropping from a projected $180-190 weekend to $160M

Spider-Man drop

Last weekend: 44%
This weekend: 70%

Ted drop

Last weekend: 30%
This weekend: 55%

I hope this fear doesn't last long. :\

They won't be off by like 10% or anything, some of the people doing the estimates do have access to some info. We will just put the real numbers in when we get them tomorrow.

The weekend EST are also provided by Studios. The number posted in the OP is not. The number posted in the OP is from the type type of analysis that for example WB used when it said we think the movie will make between 165-170 million OW. guesstimation.

Tron 2.0

The weekend EST are also provided by Studios. The number posted in the OP is not. The number posted in the OP is from the type type of analysis that for example WB used when it said we think the movie will make between 165-170 million OW. guesstimation.
You keep posting this, but it's not true.

Rentrak and the studios are not officially reporting numbers to the press, but the numbers are still being collected by Rentrak and analyzed by the studios. And those are the numbers that are being leaked to outlets like Deadline.

These are the same numbers we would be getting under normal circumstances, they're just not being "officially" released.

pretty much 99% who have seen it twice said it gets better, search on twitter and facebook for examples. numerous
The movie is only entering its third day of release. Anyone who at this point is seeing it for a second or third time is a pretty self-selected group predisposed to liking the film.

GhaleonEB

Spider-Man drop

Ted drop

I think that's just TDKR sucking up most of the box office; I expected Spider-Man to crater once TDKR came out.

Caboose

What?

He's saying that GAF will become more attuned to the movie's problems over time, yet popular GAF consensus seems to be that the movie gets better on repeat viewings.

Ok, thank you. Now are you going to troll this thread like you do with every Marvel/DC-related thread?

pretty much 99% who have seen it twice said it gets better, search on twitter and facebook for examples. numerous

So, people who really like Batman movies (enough to go twice in a weekend) really liked Batman? That's not anecdotal at all. The people who didn't like it in my group didn't go back to watch it a second time.

kswiston

Spider-Man drop

Ted drop

This would have happened even without the shootings. Look at the drops for holdovers the week TDK released:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=29&p=.htm

I'd guess that grosses were down 5% or so for films that are not TDKR because of the shootings. The advertising being pulled for TDKR didn't help that movie any, as did the new reports saying that their could be copycat shooters.

GraveRobberX

Total Rec(k)all trailer looked real good, I have seen the original trailer and TV spot, but this new release is really looking good

Maybe a sleeper hit?

Kevtones

TDKR is totally watchable but it's also a 164 minute mess when you try to articulate the logic holding its story together. I watch movies for story and there's no way in hell I'd ever stomach TDKR again.

You keep posting this, but it's not true.

Rentrak and the studios are not officially reporting numbers to the press, but the numbers are still being collected by Rentrak and analyzed by the studios. And those are the numbers that are being leaked to outlets like Deadline.

These are the same numbers we would be getting under normal circumstances, they're just not being "officially" released.

The movie is only entering its third day of release. Anyone who at this point is seeing it for a second or third time is a pretty self-selected group predisposed to liking the film.

Is that way nearly all outlets have different numbers ranging from 160-175?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom