• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC/360/PS3/NextGen) Coming Q4 2013

Marcel

Hahaha yea, Wolfenstein 09 was advertised with the full strength of Activision's marketing department. Just like Prototype 2 and Singularity.

So I guess they thought it was a dud too? I'm in agreement with the marketing department.

Wolfenstein 2009 landed with a thud and that was even with Activision's marketing arm behind it. Let's hope this one doesn't cause another set of layoffs for a game studio.

It was sent to die by Acti shortly before Blops came out IIRC. The didnt give a shit about it, hence why you still cant get it on steam/DD sites.

Anyway, Darkness/Riddick devs, Wolfenstein, HOLY SHIT in on board for this, despite my initial urgh at the change of setting.

Loved RTCW, ET, and Wolf 2009. dont let me down, machinegames

TrutaS

Well it sounds bad to me. Another "re-imagining" that sounds like every other current FPS already.

Hope I am wrong though, marketing is not targeted at me after all.

d00d3n

This should be the game, but the screenshots indicate that it sadly won't be: (repost from pre-announcement thread)

You are a prisoner in a german POW camp. The prison area of the camp is a hub world where you can talk to other prisoners, do side quests and interact with interesting non-hostile ai behaviors. Throughout the game you infiltrate the guard areas, the administrative buildings and the small city centre in close proximity to the prison, and on several special missions you traverse farther outside of the camp to sabotage key german military assets. The game focuses on stealth and silent melee takedowns, but guns are available on some missions (maybe in the hub also, but be prepared to be executed for using them, maybe after a slight delay where you are attacked by increasingly deadly tactical units). The game is divided into three acts consisting of three security levels of the german pow prison system. The game has a primitive skill system which slowly increases the player agency when it comes to stealth and takedowns. The player character may or may not be a blank slate. The game is not true open world like Saboteur, but semi open like Riddick to maintain high quality graphics and content throughout the game.

KingKong

I'm really tired of these reveals and teasers ending with CGI trailers or worse, just show the gameplay or don't show anything

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think my favourite part of all of this is Blazkowicz' grizzled voice and cheesy dialogue.

It strangely gives me hope.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm really tired of these reveals and teasers ending with CGI trailers or worse, just show the gameplay or don't show anything

But that's how teasers have always worked. They tease.

Reminded me of Watchmen for some weird reason. Right at the end when the robots came to life.

How much you wanna bet it will go for modern gaming FPS tropes that really pisses off all the fans?

Marcel

How much you wanna bet it will go for modern gaming FPS tropes that really pisses off all the fans?

I wouldn't call myself a Wolfenstein 'fan', but I'll take this bet. I'm banking on focus-tested as all hell since the last Wolfenstein game didn't do well at all.

dosh

Well that was unexpected.

I think my favourite part of all of this is Blazkowicz' grizzled voice and cheesy dialogue.

It strangely gives me hope.

You know, that's probably what I liked most in the trailer. Reminded me of Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach voice (though the music probably set the mood to get me thinking about Watchmen).

derFeef

This should be the game, but the screenshots indicate that it sadly won't be: (repost from pre-announcement thread)

You are a prisoner in a german POW camp. The prison area of the camp is a hub world where you can talk to other prisoners, do side quests and interact with interesting non-hostile ai behaviors. Throughout the game you infiltrate the guard areas, the administrative buildings and the small city centre in close proximity to the prison, and on several special missions you traverse farther outside of the camp to sabotage key german military assets. The game focuses on stealth and silent melee takedowns, but guns are available on some missions (maybe in the hub also, but be prepared to be executed for using them, maybe after a slight delay where you are attacked by increasingly deadly tactical units). The game is divided into three acts consisting of three security levels of the german pow prison system. The game has a primitive skill system which slowly increases the player agency when it comes to stealth and takedowns. The player character may or may not be a blank slate. The game is not true open world like Saboteur, but semi open like Riddick to maintain high quality graphics and content throughout the game.

That sounds like the worst Wolfenstein game ever. Maybe for another game this might work, but not for Wolfenstein.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
So lets get this right, this holiday season we have cod ghosts, the new Respawn game, Destiny, Battlefield 4, wolfenstein, Killzone 4.....anything else?

this is just rediculous. I'm out

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So lets get this right, this holiday season we have cod ghosts, the new Respawn game, Destiny, Battlefield 4, wolfenstein, Killzone 4.....anything else?

this is just rediculous. I'm out

There might be some other games coming out this year too. Not sure though.

Pooya

As long as it's not a straight corridor shooter I'd be interested. Be more like EfB or even Raven's Wolf, it would be cool.

d00d3n

That sounds like the worst Wolfenstein game ever. Maybe for another game this might work, but not for Wolfenstein.

On the other hand, an ordinary shooter is an awful idea for the ex Starbreeze guys. Their unique talent to create genre busting first person games should be utilized. Look at Syndicate to see what happens otherwise. Ofc, wolfenstein is a weak universe to begin with and I would rather see machine games work with something else.

DieH@rd

Banned
new pic from destructoid
253247-aaheader.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-announced-253247.phtml

ElRenoRaven

You know. Based off the last craptastical Wolfenstein and that trailer color me uninterested as hell. Who knows. Maybe they'll turn my opinion around but as of right now not interested.

All I want is RTCW on steroids and a ton of players online. That was perfection damn it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't wait to drive one of those Nazi mechs and wreck shit.

Zeknurn

I hope it's primarily about Nazis and the occult, not sci-fi and mechs. Still very excited though.

Also multiplayer better be on par with W:ET.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic stuff, great news. Hope it does the series proud after the great RTCW and the fantastic Wolfenstein 2009. If anyone can do that it'll be Machinegames. Looking forward to it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Don't want to piss in anyones cornflakes but they'd better re-reveal Prey 2 or Prey something or someone is going to get shot

Top Bottom