• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order screenshots

gstaff

I spy a health meter! and an armor pickup! ...and jelly screen and regen... and a health pickup? k well now I am just confused.

Like Wolf 3D, health and armor pick ups are part of the game, but it also regenerates partial health. So if you're at 55 health, it will at least regenerate to 60. If you're at 41 health, it will regenerate to 60. If you're at 10 health, it will regenerate to 20. With that in mind, it's similar to how single health bars will regenerate in Resistance (or was it Resistance 3?).

Like Wolf 3D, health and armor pick ups are part of the game, but it also regenerates partial health. So if you're at 55 health, it will at least regenerate to 60. If you're at 41 health, it will regenerate to 60. If you're at 10 health, it will regenerate to 20. With that in mind, it's similar to how single health bars will regenerate in Resistance (or was it Resistance 3?).

when do we get direct feed footage from quakecon?

AJ_Wings

So it works just like Resistance 1 and Far Cry 2/3. I Like it.

After watching the video, I'm officially on board with this game.

Man, does that look nice, especially the second photograph. Personally, I like the art style probably the best in that one. I wonder what they will do with the setting; that's one of my most interesting points.

That quakecon demo got taken down :/ Love the bit in the two minute gameplay trailer where he cuts into the cover using a laser and makes a hole. So many possibilities if they open the environment up to that weapon!

The Darkness is my favorite FPS so I have hope this will be something special.

Grayman

Riddick-style segmented health bar, probably. As long as you don't lose a full segment it regenerates, but once that segment is gone it can only be regained through a health pickup.

Makes perfect sense now. In the video I could see a hud early on but then a camera or a persons head was in the way for the rest of the video.

spekkeh

Banned
Looks really pretty. Some of GAF is going to be really disappointed when next gen comes around lol, I have no idea what ridiculousness they're expecting.

It does lack a bit of character though. They have all the colours, but the characters still look super serial and gritty.

Orayn

I'm really hoping this winds up as a beautifully expanded version of recent gameplay-focused DD shooters like Blood Dragon, Gunslinger, and Rise of the Triad. More budget spent on PEW-PEW and fine-tuning, less on setpieces and "epic narrative," please!

Awesome!

Why is Wolfenstein 2009 not available on Steam? I'm fairly sure it was once.

Probably has to do with the IP changing hands from Activisoin to Bethesda/Zenimax.

pa22word

Probably has to do with the IP changing hands from Activisoin to Bethesda/Zenimax.

Yeah, considering Bethesda "reworked" (read: took out activision's name and logos out of the game and inserted theirs, lol) Quake 4 for steam I would expect them to do the same for Wolf '09 eventually.

glaurung

Character art looks gritty and heavy, love it.

But the grass and trees in the last picture looks just soul crushingly bland.

Looks surprisingly great for id Tech 5. Granted, RAGE looked nice for what it was, but that was mostly down to the art. It was a relatively static looking game with not a whole lot of dynamic effects going on like Wolf has.

I don't understand how Wolf can have a nice film grain effect while The Evil Within's looks like dogshit in comparison though.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't understand how Wolf can have a nice film grain effect while The Evil Within's looks like dogshit in comparison though.

They have different artstyles, no point in comparing them. UE3 has tons of different looks, all tailored to serve developer vision of individual games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i don't know man. i appreciate that this is goofy, and i loved syndicate and riddick and all that, but ever since the release of stuff like gunslinger and far cry 3 blood dragon... I wonder if stuff like this should be 20 dollar releases instead.

See? I called a FPS a 'should be downloadable' instead of a platformer. The tables have turned.

AJSousuke

1375524572-3nbupn.jpg

this looks someway cartoon-y

They have different artstyles, no point in comparing them. UE3 has tons of different looks, all tailored to serve developer vision of individual games.

Their 'artistic vision' of low resolution film grain sucks then. It doesn't make the game look dirtier or grittier, just last-gen. Silent Hill 2 running in HD has comparable grain quality and it's a 12 year old game.

Evil Within honestly looks awful and it's really hard to believe it shares the same engine with Wolf (and RAGE).

For those that saw the QuakeCon gameplay demo, was it the same video that we saw at E3?

No. It was a story section with the Nazi lady and her boytoy on a train and a long combat section on a bridge reminiscent of Half Life 2. Much better showing than the stuff at E3.

i don't know man. i appreciate that this is goofy, and i loved syndicate and riddick and all that, but ever since the release of stuff like gunslinger and far cry 3 blood dragon... I wonder if stuff like this should be 20 dollar releases instead.

See? I called a FPS a 'should be downloadable' instead of a platformer. The tables have turned.

This looks like it's going to be higher quality and longer than stuff like Gunslinger and Blood Dragon (more unique assets than Blood Dragon anyway). Both were fun, don't get me wrong, but Wolfenstein sounds like it's doing more.

-idTech5 engine, so you know the gunplay good
-IMPROVED idTech5 engine, so no more Rage-esque po-ins all over the place, just smooth 60fps
-Meaty campaign with variety of non-shooting bits by Starbreeze who are often pretty good at that, if Riddick is any indication
-Mecha Nazis
-MECHA NAZI DOGS
-MECHA HITLER ON THE MOON(probably)

ok then

-idTech5 engine, so you know the gunplay good
-IMPROVED idTech5 engine, so no more Rage-esque po-ins all over the place, just smooth 60fps
-Meaty campaign with variety of non-shooting bits by Starbreeze who are often pretty good at that, if Riddick is any indication
-Mecha Nazis
-MECHA NAZI DOGS
-MECHA HITLER ON THE MOON(probably)

ok then

Never took you for such a Nazi fan.

Learn something new everyday.

.la1n

If its a return to form for old school FPS style games like it appears then it will be an easy day one purchase. I miss those games so much although singularity did scratch the itch pretty good as well as bulletstorm. I wish that game had been more successful and wish the best for wolfenstein.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Evil Within honestly looks awful and it's really hard to believe it shares the same engine with Wolf (and RAGE).

To be fair we're talking about comparing that is supposed to be released mid to late next year, in comparison to a game that was going to come out in about 3 months.

I do hope that The Evil Within gets some graphics update, they have time.

OMG, no ADS, outrageous weapon designs and no weapon limit

I want this so bad.

Idtech5 huh, I wondered what engine it uses.
As long as it doesn't have the awful texture pop in of rage I'm hopeful.

bethesda pls, no strawberry jam on my screen when low hp, no color desaturation on low hp :(
Shooters are supposed to become BETTER when you are on low hp (tension), not fucking worse (can't see shit)

Will this support mods?

DryvBy

I'm excited about this game. I even enjoyed the previous entry to the series for the single player. There's something about Wolf that makes me howl for more.

Elginer

Totally getting this on PS4. Love me some old school shooters like Wolfenstein and these are the former Riddick guys so I'm excited to see what they can do with story and combat.

gstaff

Their 'artistic vision' of low resolution film grain sucks then. It doesn't make the game look dirtier or grittier, just last-gen. Silent Hill 2 running in HD has comparable grain quality and it's a 12 year old game.

Realize we don't have much gameplay to show you in comparison, but it's better to see the effect in motion than in screens.

Other than that, I like Silent Hill 2 comparisons :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Awesome!

Why is Wolfenstein 2009 not available on Steam? I'm fairly sure it was once.

The game was developed by Raven and Activision's publishing rights expired last year, defaulting back to Bethesda as id is now owned by ZeniMax. That doesn't rule out Acti and Beth agreeing to terms that would see the game redistributed, though (see: Quake 4 and Hexen/Heretic), but who knows when or even if that'll happen -- I'm waiting on Quake Wars to return myself (id now owns the rights to the game and it was developed by the independent Splash Damage, so I have no idea what the hold-up is).

KOHIPEET

Just give me beach-head, a flame thrower along 31 other players and this is an instant-get for me.

The screens look nice though, I like the excessive art direction, kinda like bioshock, but less grotesque.

Top Bottom