• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women Characters Redesigned by Women SFF Artists

I dunno, the cone knockers here seemed pretty big despite the lack of 'polys'.
tumblr_lxz8l4sThM1qbzf0vo2_500.gif

They also took Snakes eye out. Those things are dangerous and require a permit.

Dice//

Banned
m7DHWwmh.jpg

Creepy individual toes aside, I like this redisign of the zero suit waaaaaaay better.

Yeah I didn't quote it earlier but I did mean to say it is a brilliant version. Again where the fan version of Samus' outfit is just significantly more interesting than the official one. =/

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But it does mean...bouncy breast physics. The physics in the WiiU ZSS model are more defined than the physics on the Wii ZSS model.

Also, I'm waiting for the proof of your claims that Nintendo did it purposely for fanservice, and that the modeler was told to increase Zeldas breast size.

Until then I can't take you seriously.
No it does not. A larger poly count does not automatically mean bouncy breast physics. Breast physics are either programmed onto the model or hand animated via anchor point. We had an entire thread on the process. Breast size has nothing to do with it. Btw, Samus does not have "bouncy breast physics."
nv4fzezcqzxscukzc8ub.gif

tumblr_n3qr4uM3DE1t9pah5o4_250.gif

The only thing that has realtime physics is the hair. Everything else is rigid. I can't take you seriously because you've shifted your goal post to me having to prove a negative. Please stop pretending to know how character models work.

No it does not. A larger poly count does not automatically mean bouncy breast physics. Breast physics are either programmed onto the model via an achor point or hand animated, btw, Samus does not have "bouncy breast physics."
nv4fzezcqzxscukzc8ub.gif

tumblr_n3qlfr5zli1qh8rq6o1_500.gif

I can't take you seriously because you've shifted your goal post to me having to prove a negative.

RIP her belly and ribs

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is it possible that maybe they had different artist on the games? I can see Nintendo or Sakurai overlooking boobs, curves, and butts changing. Sex appeal is certainly a new thing for Nintendo for better or worse.
They infact had the artists from the soul calibur games on the team.

Cyrano

Still think the most egregious fan-service of all is the slow progression towards skin-tight suits. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be punched.

No it does not. A larger poly count does not automatically mean bouncy breast physics. Breast physics are either programmed onto the model via an achor point or hand animated, btw, Samus does not have "bouncy breast physics."
nv4fzezcqzxscukzc8ub.gif

I can't take you seriously because you've shifted your goal post to me having to prove a negative.

Her breasts do jiggle slightly when she checks her gun.

Still waiting on proof for your claims. I'm not moving any goalposts. Her breasts are definitely more detailed, I'm not wrong on that point <3 You're just cherry picking my argument and focusing on that one thing. I'm sure there's a fallacy name for it, but I'll wait for the article on your claims that it was all for fanservice and the modeler was told to make Zeldas breasts larger. The onus is on you~

Crossing Eden

RIP her belly and ribs
RIP her skeletal structure.
ye7biWO.jpg

Her breasts do jiggle slightly when she checks her gun.

Still waiting on proof for your claims. I'm not moving any goalposts. Her breasts are definitely more detailed, I'm not wrong on that point <3 You're just cherry picking my argument and focusing on that one thing. I'm sure there's a fallacy name for it, but I'll wait for the article on your claims that it was all for fanservice and the modeler was told to make Zeldas breasts larger. The onus is on you~
No they don't. They shift with her upper body which jerks slightly before shifting to the gun checking idle animation. There's literally no anchor point on her breasts. Once again you're talking out of your ass. You have no argument anymore since you're main point now is "Oh, prove this negative or else you're wrong and everything I said was right." Her breasts are more detailed and bigger, this is an objective fact, they're bigger, not because she has a higher polycount but because the character modelers made her that way. Literally all you've done for the past few posts is talk out of your ass before blatantly resorting to the childish "W-w-well provide proof or else you're wrong" phase of your failing argument.

foxuzamaki

I'm no fan of Samus' ending screen sexuality teasers, but comparing "shows up for a few seconds" to "becoming increasingly more prominent to the point where you play as her in a skin-tight catsuit for a huge percentage of the game" is ridiculous and patently absurd. It's not more obvious because of the tech, it's more obvious because we're on a downward trend towards the series eventually being all about Samus running around in nothing at all, with the reward for beating the game quick enough being that she shows up in her armour.

What are you talking about? even in other M like 98% of the time she is still in her suit, and freaking TEAM NINJA worked on that game!

No they don't. They shift with her upper body which jerks slightly before shifting to the gun checking idle animation. There's literally no anchor point on her breasts. Once again you're talking out of your ass. You have no argument anymore since you're main point now is "Oh, prove this negative or else you're wrong and everything I said was right." Her breasts are more detailed and bigger, this is an objective fact, they're bigger, not because she has a higher polycount but because the character modelers made her that way.

Your whole argument since the beginning was that the new design is sexist because the difference in size between breasts. Since the beginning you've been claiming it was sexist because of fan service.

You're literally committing a fallacy by cherry picking one thing I said and somehow thinking you're right for the whole argument.

You're literally committing a fallacy and it's making me laugh.

UrbanRats

ye7biWO.jpg

I was with you on the whole Samus argument, up until this.
I hope you don't mean to say that realistic skeletal structure should be the number one priority in animation.
You can bend reality to the benefit of animation, infact, you probably should if it gives a better result.

Dice//

Banned
Your whole argument since the beginning was that the new design is sexist because the difference in size between breasts. Since the beginning you've been claiming it was sexist because of fan service.

You're literally committing a fallacy by cherry picking one thing I said and somehow thinking you're right for the whole argument.

Samus whole body in Smash is designed in idealisms.

Cyrano

I hope you don't mean to say that realistic skeletal structure should be the number one priority in animation.
You can bend reality to the benefit of animation, infact, you probably should if it gives a better result.
If the model is intended to be human (or human-like) you really shouldn't unless your intention is entering the uncanny valley.

That's why the Guilty Gear developers opted to do a faux-2D style with GG Xrd. In order to keep most of the combat systems the same, they gave it a 2D style(With 3D interjection here and there) because for the characters to keep the same look of their moves, the skeletons would be extremely distorted.

Crocodile

The rigging on Smash 4 ZSS is.......less than ideal but I feel you have to be anal-retentive to care within the context of the game when you're like actually playing it (or even watching it be played).

The Smash 4 design is also leaps and bounds ahead of the Brawl design (I want to say objectively but personal preference is a thing) aside from the "heel controversy" but at least if they are going to be present its nice that they are actually fictional.

I'm no fan of Samus' ending screen sexuality teasers, but comparing "shows up for a few seconds" to "becoming increasingly more prominent to the point where you play as her in a skin-tight catsuit for a huge percentage of the game" is ridiculous and patently absurd. It's not more obvious because of the tech, it's more obvious because we're on a downward trend towards the series eventually being all about Samus running around in nothing at all, with the reward for beating the game quick enough being that she shows up in her armour.

There are several different, though related, arguments going on at once that are often, probably unfortunately, combined. The actual nature of ZSS' character design is not the same thing as how prominent ZSS is or is not, her characterization (specifically in Other M), etc. That point is brought up as a counterpoint to those who argue that the sexualization of Samus' character design is a new thing. Saying you inherently dislike the design is different than saying you dislike how its framed or overused (though you can dislike ALL those aspects just as well).

Crossing Eden

I've stated multiple reasons about why you're wrong. In fact, here's a list of things you were objectively wrong about.

I Now, maybe the firat iteration was a WIP model(the image you post where her breasts are separated.). You posted 2 images where her the area between her breasts was tight, it gave them a smaller shape. In the next picture, this is not true- the area between her breasts isnt tigh but its sort of a boob pocket shaped by her bosom. Because of this they look bigger than when the mammaries were separated and tightened. The 4th picture likewise isnt a good example. Shes hunched over, tucking in her stomach in such a way that it accentuates and makes her breasts appear larger than they are. Not only that but it appears that they slightly toghtened up the area inbetween like her earlier design but not by much. I can say that between the 3rd pic and the 3th pic the size is the same. As for the butt pic, the only difference I see is that one butt is more refined and higher resolution than the other one. The picture where she has her neck twisted facing towards camera, other than being more detailed they look the same.

Summary: Smash Samus looks way different from MP games, but within Smash I think the difference in look is mostly due to the jump from Wii hardware to WiiU. Not a drastic difference but enough that the detail in models is more succint. On phone sorry for spelling mistakes
All of the bolded was proven wrong by the second set of comparison images which exclusively had comparison pictures of the exact same frames of the exact same moves. Her breasts, hips and butts were modeled to be bigger than in previous iterations, period.

By higher resolution, I meant more polygons. Let's take a look at other characters. I can finally dig out examples!
Zelda Brawl-
304T6MA.png

Zelda Wii U-

Zeldas breasts are DEFINITELY larger in the WiiU version.

Now...for Samus you say 'fan service'. I guess that means fanservice for Zelda too, right? I simply take occams razor and say 'Well, it's different hardware, and not only that they probably had to build the model from the ground up too.'

You want a perfect 1-to-1 carbon copy right down to the breasts for the character. Sure, if you want it to look like the Wii version. I disagree with you saying it's fan service. And I think ZSS looks consistently the same in both versions. The only reason her breasts look 'bigger' IMO is because they had more polygons to work with then before, and thus they appear more refined and more voluptuous. The difference is I don't accuse Sakurai or Nintendo of 'Catering to fans' by doing so, but I take a guess and say it's because it's a completely different model.

Already you explained to you multiple times that higher polycount does not=bigger breasts, a model can have the exact same size breasts but millions upon millions of more polygons. Yet you harped on it anyway.

YOU then cherry picked part of my argument and asked me to prove a negative.

Do you have proof of this? You also claimed that Samus' breast and butt size increase were explicitly for fanservice. Do you have proof of that? And like I said, larger amount of polygons=More refined/defined models. It's the difference between having triangle breasts that Lara craft had in the PS1 era to more rotund breasts she had in the PS3/360 era.

Edit-For the second bolded..maybe...just maybe it's a completely different model on different hardware? Maybe?

While also still harping on the "more polygons=bigger breasts, maybe if I say it over and over it'll be considered a fact." train of logic despite the very compelling evidence that yes, her breasts, hips and butt are bigger. In fact, her model has less detail than the wii ZSS not that I look at it. She no longer has a slightly defined rib cage or belly.

You then decided that somehow bigger breasts=bouncy physics while having a condescending attitude despite being proven wrong multiple times over and STILL trying to use the fallacy known as negative proof.

But it does mean...bouncy breast physics. The physics in the WiiU ZSS model are more defined than the physics on the Wii ZSS model.

Also, I'm waiting for the proof of your claims that Nintendo did it purposely for fanservice, and that the modeler was told to increase Zeldas breast size.

Until then I can't take you seriously.

Yes the animation is stylized. Likewise for all characters.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They infact had the artists from the soul calibur games on the team.

Which makes it even more disappointing.

The whole point of enlisting these people is so that Samus would have Ivy sized juggs.

What a waste of talent. :(

I've stated multiple reasons about why you're wrong. In fact, here's a list of things you were objectively wrong about.

Sure.

All of the bolded was proven wrong by the second set of comparison images which exclusively had comparison pictures of the exact same frames of the exact same moves. Her breasts, hips and butts were modeled to be bigger than in previous iterations, period.

...They don't look that much different at all. It's definitely a different model though, you get points for that?

Already you explained to you multiple times that higher polycount does not=bigger breasts, a model can have the exact same size breasts but millions upon millions of more polygons. Yet you harped on it anyway.

YOU then cherry picked part of my argument and asked me to prove a negative.

Your only defense for the Samus design being sexist(Which is the crux of the topic) is that Samus' breast and ass were expanded to serve the need of fan service. So I want you to prove this. Show me where they said it was made bigger for fan service. Then we can call the design sexist.

While also still harping on the "more polygons=bigger breasts, maybe if I say it over and over it'll be considered a fact." train of logic despite the very compelling evidence that yes, her breasts, hips and butt are bigger. In fact, her model has less detail than the wii ZSS not that I look at it. She no longer has a slightly defined rib cage or belly.

Detailed breasts. I keep saying detailed breasts. I stopped saying 'more polygon=bigger breasts', in fact what I said that having more polygons has the potential to make breasts more detailed which might make them seem bigger. But keep repeating it, I'm sure one of these cherries will taste sweet.

You then decided that somehow bigger breasts=bouncy physics while having a condescending attitude despite being proven wrong multiple times over and STILL trying to use the fallacy known as negative proof.

I was wrong on ZSS having true breast physics, but they still move and jiggle depending on the animation. Condescending? You're the one saying that Zeldas breasts are bigger because the modeler was told to make them bigger(I guess to discredit me pointing out the fact that Zeldas breasts also got bigger in the jump of hardware?), and saying that the Samus design is sexist because it was created with fan service in mind. That is the crux of your argument.

Me? I think the breasts look more detailed and better. If it looks bigger, than it's an erroneous size increase that doesn't make the design sexist.

But please, continue accusing me of being condescending when I'm simply countering your points and claims that you make.

Let's go back to square one-My argument is that ZSS in WiiU isn't sexist, and that the transition between consoles and creation of a new model for the new game means that the new model wasn't a pixel perfect copy of her Wii model.

You're saying that the increase in breasts and ass is sexist and pandering/fan service. Correct?

Considering how long these games spend in development and how much discussion happens during said development including multiple different passes for a character model I highly doubt that it's unintentional.

What major games are you talking about? And news flash, even if YOU don't see how they're being sexualized, doesn't mean that they're not. Especially concerning characters like Miranda from Mass Effect or ZSS , you think these camera angles were made by accident.
Really bruh?
Commander-Shepard-Staring-at-Mirandas-Ass.jpg

tumblr_mh8pxwekGE1r6l30ro1_500.gif

Yea, totes can't see any sexualization going on here.

Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed Unity, Shadow of Mordor, Infamous Second Son, Killzone: SF, Resistance, The Order, Knack, Life is Strange, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, Transistor, Battlefield 4, WatchDogs, the Walking Dead, Gears of War, Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition to name a few are current or previous releases that feature non-sexualized female characters. I feel like things in the industry are improving and sometimes I feel like this subject gets blown out of proportion.

I never played SSBM so I never seen that lol and yeah, I forgot about that memorable shot of Miranda, but I am was talking about the actual outfits, not the perspective or camera angles.

Dice//

Banned
Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed Unity, Shadow of Mordor, Infamous Second Son, Killzone: SF, Resistance, The Order, Knack, Life is Strange, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, Transistor, Battlefield 4, WatchDogs, the Walking Dead, Gears of War, Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition to name a few are current or previous releases that feature non-sexualized female characters. I feel like things in the industry are improving and sometimes I feel like this subject gets blown out of proportion.

I never played SSBM so I never seen that lol and yeah, I forgot about that memorable shot of Miranda, but I am was talking about the actual outfits, not the perspective or camera angles. Seems like a lot of people are offended by their skin tight outfits and curvy appearances.

We're still "in it" though. And it's getting better but those days are still right behind us. And the fact that these gender/sexualization topics go on, debating, for 20+ Gaf pages every time show that it's, for whatever reason, not a smooth and uncontested idea.

As UrbanRats says below, IT HAS to be question to get change.
I've found that the more diverse a staff is the more it can embellish these positive changes.

UrbanRats

Things are improving, i think, because there was such a cry out in the last few years.

I don't think the status quo would change, without someone questioning it.

We're still "in it" though. And it's getting better but those days are still right behind us. And the fact that these gender/sexualization topics go on, debating, for 20+ Gaf pages every time show that it's, for whatever reason, not a smooth and uncontested idea.
Not only that, but also the fact that even among people who share a largely similar ideal, you'll find differing opinions (such as the reception to something like Bayonetta among feminist communities)

Mak

it's more obvious because we're on a downward trend towards the series eventually being all about Samus running around in nothing at all, with the reward for beating the game quick enough being that she shows up in her armour.

That might be possible in the original NES version if after beating in under 3 hours the first time you took too long the second time through and got the worst ending.
tumblr_ndm9vmmQ2V1rpku4no1_400.gif
tumblr_ndm9vmmQ2V1rpku4no3_400.gif

Samus used to have a smaller chest actually.
hqdefault.jpg

But then they for obvious reasons(fanservice) got larger along with the suit being molded to go underneath her breasts
smash_samus01--screenshot_large.jpg

She either has some major insecurity issues and got lots of plastic surgery, or she's a victim of pointless sexualization. Classic zero suit and the concept likely wasn't sexualization, I get the feeling that the same can't be said for the latest renditions.

The only time she drastically changed was in Prime 2, which is the standard look for her that keeps getting more and more sexualized.
prime_endings.jpg

To be fair, its not like there were only Metroid Prime games being released between 2002-2010.

Metroid Prime 1 was developed by a western developer with a realistic take on Samus. Metroid Fusion came out on the same day in 2002, but Retro likely only had the ending of Super Metroid, Metroid II, and maybe the Nintendo Power comic for reference.

Sometime between 2001-2002 before Metroid Prime and Fusion released, there was a special trophy of a helmetless version of Samus for Super Smash Bros. Melee in Japan.

Metroid Prime 2's Zero Suit Samus is based on the original Zero Suit Samus that debuted in Zero Mission earlier the same year in 2004. The photo of the figure used in the article is based on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

NST had their own take on Zero Suit Samus with Metroid Prime Hunters in 2006, while Retro with Metroid Prime 2 had moved away from the realistic look and closer to 2004's Zero Mission design where it originated, and then refined it for Prime 3.

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl from 2008 both Samus with her power suit and Zero Suit Samus are based on the concept art designs from Zero Mission on GBA from 2004. (The power suit being based on the legendary power suit from the ending)

"Justin Bailey" Samus (Metroid NES 1986) - Playable by entering the code "Justin Bailey" or pressing start after the credits by beating the game in under 3 hours.
-> Metroid Zero Mission 2004 (Zero Suit Samus)

Zero Suit Samus (Metroid Zero Mission) Feb 2004
-> Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Nov 2004 -> Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 2007
-> Metroid Prime Hunters 2006
-> Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2008
-> Metroid Other M 2010 -> (+ Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2008) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U 2014

In Smash Bros. the character models are obviously built from the ground up for Wii U and the proportions are different. Both Zelda and Link for example have much bigger faces, the character models in general are fuller for a 1080p game. Samus' head is also larger in proportion compared to Brawl, the entire character models for all of the characters have been adjusted, not just in one spot. That's not to say that didn't increase her size, but her depiction in the new Smash Bros. seems close to the original concept art.

(And before Smash Bros., Other M's version was of course an evolution of ZSS from Zero Mission)

The over exaggerated frames of animation would made it easier to track frames if you were playing the game on a 23" 1080p monitor with 7 other players with the camera zoomed out.

I think instead of trying to change characters new ones should be created instead. The redesign of ZS Samus looks cool if she were doing bounty hunting without the aid of a cybernetic robot suit, not unlike Iria from Zeiram. The addition of the Zero Suit was basically a replacement for the ballet leotard and bikinis she wore in earlier games as the graphics became more detailed.

injurai

Banned
ye7biWO.jpg

There is no denying she's been made hyper-feminine, and given accentuated poses.

But this gif is incredibly stupid.

Completely throws out the reality of animation, and it's limitations as a mathematical modelling of structure and movement.

Crossing Eden

...They don't look that much different at all. It's definitely a different model though, you get points for that?
Yes they do look different. Almost every part of the model is different. In fact. He's a comparison. Besides the obvious things like better hair rendering and different textures. Every aspect is different
-bigger assets because this Samus is based off of the Other M version. As in, the most sexualized version of Samus to date. A full grown woman's breasts do not randomly get bigger unless she gains weight, becomes pregnant, implants etc. they certainly do not increase drastically like the transition between Prime and the Brawl. Which Samus was based off of. Your only refute for this argument is "Prove a negative, otherwise be quiet." Seen here.
-facial structure
-lack of ribcage or defined belly.

Show me where they said it was made bigger for fan service. Then we can call the design sexist.

Detailed breasts. I keep saying detailed breasts. I stopped saying 'more polygon=bigger breasts', in fact what I said that having more polygons has the potential to make breasts more detailed which might make them seem bigger. But keep repeating it, I'm sure one of these cherries will taste sweet.

You at first said that higher polycount=bigger breasts, when I called you out on that nonsense (and yes it is even if you try to passive aggressively imply that it may be true in some way shape or form as seen in the bolded) you started going on about breast physics.

I was wrong on ZSS having true breast physics, but they still move and jiggle depending on the animation.

No they do not, they move because her body is moving, they don't jiggle at all. They only move because they are a part of her upper body. There's no "physic" to them. Her hair has physics. Not her breasts. Even if you imagine for some reason that they do.
yprrff.gif

Condescending? You're the one saying that Zeldas breasts are bigger because the modeler was told to make them bigger(I guess to discredit me pointing out the fact that Zeldas breasts also got bigger in the jump of hardware?), and saying that the Samus design is sexist because it was created with fan service in mind. That is the crux of your argument.
You talking about me cherry picking despite proving several of your arguments wrong, especially the ones where it was obvious that you literally had no idea what you were talking about. While also saying you can't take me seriously after your textbook use of tales from your ass while also using a fallacy. Yes I consider that condescending. And no, the argument wasn't whether or not she is sexualized, which she clearly is, it was whether or not she got more and more sexualized over time.

I never played SSBM so I never seen that lol and yeah, I forgot about that memorable shot of Miranda, but I am was talking about the actual outfits, not the perspective or camera angles.
Yes western triple A gaming as well as indie games have been very good on this front especially when you compare it to Japan. I never said that things aren't improving, I just stated the fact that yes it's still an issue. I mean we still have people defending Quiet's character design from metal gear and we for some reason need a story reason for why she dresses that way.

There is no Metroid game where this is the case...

Yes they do look different. Almost every part of the model is different. In fact. He's a comparison. Besides the obvious things like better hair rendering and different textures. Every aspect is different
-bigger assets because this Samus is based off of the Other M version. As in, the most sexualized version of Samus to date. A full grown woman's breasts do not randomly get bigger unless she gains weight, becomes pregnant, implants etc. they certainly do not increase drastically like the transition between Prime and the Brawl. Which Samus was based off of. Your only refute for this argument is "Prove a negative, otherwise be quiet." Seen here.
-facial structure
-lack of ribcage or defined belly.

Yes, because it's a different model. Because it's on new hardware. That is why she looks different. And if you have an issue with a lack of ribcage, ask the animators why they couldn't model one. Again, if it was the same model within the same hardware, you can call out her breasts looking different. But it's not.

You at first said that higher polycount=bigger breasts, when I called you out on that nonsense (and yes it is even if you try to passive aggressively imply that it may be true in some way shape or form as seen in the bolded) you started going on about breast physics.

I'm going to take a look at what I said-
The only reason her breasts look 'bigger' IMO is because they had more polygons to work with then before, and thus they appear more refined and more voluptuous.

I never directly said more polygons=bigger breasts, actually. That's just you putting words in my mouth. Neat! We're both discovering things about ourselves. Like you're making up things claiming it was done for fan service and modelers were told to make breasts bigger...and putting words in my mouth.

No they do not, they move because her body is moving, they don't jiggle at all. They only move because they are a part of her upper body. There's no "physic" to them. Her hair has physics. Not her breasts. Even if you imagine for some reason that they do.
nv4fzezcqzxscukzc8ub.gif

Her breasts slightly bounce when she checks her gun. I ain't blind.

You talking about me cherry picking despite proving several of your arguments wrong, especially the ones where it was obvious that you literally had no idea what you were talking about. While also saying you can't take me seriously after your textbook use of tales from your ass while also using a fallacy. Yes I consider that condescending. And no, the argument wasn't whether or not she is sexualized, which she clearly is, it was whether or not she got more and more sexualized over time.

You actually haven't proven anything I've said is wrong. I said they look alike, you post pictures of her missing a skeleton(Which is an animation issiue). I say they have different models, you start saying that...breasts don't randomly get bigger.

Yeah uh...you're not helping your argument. Thanks for making me look back though! I totally caught that I NEVER said that more polygons=bigger breasts, and now I can take away that cherry from you.

The Emma Frost redesign is dope as hell, the Power Girl redesign is good too. I think the rest kinda suck, but I do respect the intent and effort given by each artist.

Crossing Eden

Yes, because it's a different model. Because it's on new hardware. That is why she looks different. And if you have an issue with a lack of ribcage, ask the animators why they couldn't model one. Again, if it was the same model within the same hardware, you can call out her breasts looking different. But it's not.

I'm going to take a look at what I said-

I never directly said more polygons=bigger breasts, actually. That's just you putting words in my mouth. Neat! We're both discovering things about ourselves. Like you're making up things claiming it was done for fan service and modelers were told to make breasts bigger...and putting words in my mouth.

You actually haven't proven anything I've said is wrong. I said they look alike, you post pictures of her missing a skeleton(Which is an animation issiue). I say they have different models, you start saying that...breasts don't randomly get bigger.

Yeah uh...you're not helping your argument. Thanks for making me look back though! I totally caught that I NEVER said that more polygons=bigger breasts, and now I can take away that cherry from you.
Different hardware does not automatically mean that a character will look different. Yes a character may look different depending on how the modeler creates them like say UC4 Drake compared to UC3 Drake. And being on different hardware does not excuse a character looking different. The criticism is still sound despite whatever arbitrary rules you try to come up with because it's still the same character. I also like how you went from "it doesn't look

This is yet another example of passive aggression and a condescending attitude. You stated that the only reason that her breasts look bigger is because they appear more defined due to having a higher polycount. I stated that no, they're factually bigger, like her hips and butt. This would not occur unless the designers were told to do so. Also, the second you said "higher polycount=breast physics" is when you confirmed that you had no idea how modeling or even physics work. Once again, you're using the "Proof a negative" fallacy.<---A fallacy is not a retort. It's a mental gynamstics tactic used whenever you're cornered.

No they don't. Her breasts don't have physics. So yes, once again wrong. I guarantee that if I were to go into the animation program that they used for this game, and accessed the rig for Samus, that there would be no anchor point for the breasts. This is how breasts physics work.

Once breasts are rigged, developers can add breast physics in a couple of ways. Breast movement might be dictated by a simulation system that lets developers add "springs" to breasts. These springs take motion and use it to determine how much something should move after, say, a character jumps up and down. Springs help make it so that breasts can continue to move even after a character becomes still. If a character has two springs, one might be used to determine how far a breast bone is distanced from the sternum, and a second spring might control how much the breast deviates from its starting point. Then, on top of all of that, developers can add a dampening effect that determines how long it takes for the breasts to settle down.
This does not occur for Samus in anyway shape or form.

There is no denying she's been made hyper-feminine, and given accentuated poses.

Completely throws out the reality of animation, and it's limitations as a mathematical modelling of structure and movement.

The reality is fanservice what else? even her jumps are just horrible

screen-5.jpg

Crossing Eden

It could be because of her larger breasts and more feminine physic but a lot of her animations make her body point towards the camera compared to previous games. Like her down neutral attack ends with her butt pointed toward the camera compared to brawl. Here's a comparison video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJ1D5rVXGk

Different hardware does not automatically mean that a character will look different. Yes a character may look different depending on how the modeler creates them like say UC4 Drake compared to UC3 Drake. And being on different hardware does not excuse a character looking different. The criticism is still sound despite whatever arbitrary rules you try to come up with because it's still the same character. I also like how you went from "it doesn't look

UC4 Drake looks different than UC3 Drake. Definitely more detailed, more realistic. And I would say being on better hardware is a good excuse for a character looking different/better. Again, look at the Big Boss image I posted earlier. He looks different.

This is yet another example of passive aggression and a condescending attitude. You stated that the only reason that her breasts look bigger is because they appear more defined due to having a higher polycount. I stated that no, they're factually bigger, like her hips and butt. This would not occur unless the designers were told to do so. Also, the second you said "higher polycount=breast physics" is when you confirmed that you had no idea how modeling or even physics work. Once again, you're using the "Proof a negative" fallacy.<---A fallacy is not a retort. It's a mental gynamstics tactic used whenever you're cornered.

I again never said 'higher polycount=breast physics.' This is you inserting words into my mouth again. In fact I said-

Her breasts definitely have a visible bounce to them. This is you again putting words in my mouth. That's another cherry denied. I was attributing that it has more visible breast bounce to the model being more detailed, just like her hair has better movement in the WiiU version than the Wii version.
Edit:Edit:I originally misattributed the breast movement to having actual physics. But it's probably baked into the animation.

No they don't. Her breasts don't have physics. So yes, once again wrong.

So you're saying, that in the picture I keep quoting that you posted, that in no way her breasts move? That literally her breasts stay stationary despite the fact that she's bouncing, and despite the fact that they visibly move when she checks her gun?

If you want to argue semantics, if you want to argue that I keep saying more polygon=physics, then make sure I'm saying those things.

And if we're done, you haven't proved that the new Samus model is sexist or anything. You haven't proved that it's pandering. If you want to stop arguing semantics, then let's stop arguing semantics and get back to the topic. You can call me condescending, you can call me passive aggressive all you want, but that somehow doesn't prove your point. If you want to resort to ad hominem, go for it, but I won't take the bite.

Edit-In that comparison video you posted, she seems to be taller and bigger than the Melee model. Interesting..

Jumplion

Thing is, though, if you look at other similar characters like Snake from Smash Bros Brawl, their animations don't usually emphasize certain features like the chest or crotch area. I get your point in this, but I do think there's something to be said with female characters having a tendency to be animated in certain ways that are beyond simple animation trickery.

So you're saying, that in the picture I keep quoting that you posted, that in no way her breasts move? That literally her breasts stay stationary despite the fact that she's bouncing, and despite the fact that they visibly move when she checks her gun?

If you want to argue semantics, if you want to argue that I keep saying more polygon=physics, then make sure I'm saying those things.

And if we're done, you haven't proved that the new Samus model is sexist or anything. You haven't proved that it's pandering. If you want to stop arguing semantics, then let's stop arguing semantics and get back to the topic. You can call me condescending, you can call me passive aggressive all you want, but that somehow doesn't prove your point. If you want to resort to ad hominem, go for it, but I won't take the bite.

Edit-In that comparison video you posted, she seems to be taller and bigger than the Melee model. Interesting..

Oh my goodness gracious, people, get over the goddamn bouncy boob stuff.

And by the way, yes, Crossing Eden is right and you are not understanding how modeling and rigging works in animations.

Cyrano

It could be because of her larger breasts and more feminine physic but a lot of her animations make her body point towards the camera compared to previous games. Like her down neutral attack ends with her butt pointed toward the camera compared to brawl. Here's a comparison video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJ1D5rVXGk
Wow, didn't know it was quite that bad. Almost every one of her new animations accentuates her butt with a really weird pause. Does every character have open frames after these animations or is it just her?

Opiate

A personal pet peeve regarding this topic, addressed at no one in particular: I am really annoyed when people cite plot justifications for skimpy outfits, as if the stories of these games are somehow sacred texts which could not possibly be altered.

"Oh, that skin tight suit gives her special camouflage powers. It has to be very tight because it works as a cloaking field." "This tiny bikini armor allows her to be quick and nimble on the battlefield, and not get weighed down by heavy armor." You could come up with any number of explanations for why the outfits are so sexy.

These aren't serious works of insightful fiction where a character's sexuality might serve some underlying, complex thematic purpose. This is pop culture, guys; in almost all cases, I'm quite confident they started with the sexy outfit, then worked backwards to provide some vaguely plausible explanation for why the girl needs to be wearing a bikini or skin tight latex or whatever.

injurai

Banned
The reality is fanservice what else? even her jumps are just horrible

No. Her shoulder and forearm are understood realities of computationally cheap animation. That is just how a polygon structure deforms mathematically. It takes a lot more work and computation time to compensate. It's always more noticeable when the deformation is to the skin, or skin tight clothing. They are picking on things that are irrelevant. Not sure why you are arguing me, because the point ins't weather it's fan service or not. It's that that gif is conflating things in order to make an especially strong argument.

Crossing Eden

UC4 Drake looks different than UC3 Drake. Definitely more detailed, more realistic. And I would say being on better hardware is a good excuse for a character looking different/better. Again, look at the Big Boss image I posted earlier. He looks different.

I again never said 'higher polycount=breast physics.' This is you inserting words into my mouth again. In fact I said-

Her breasts definitely have a visible bounce to them. This is you again putting words in my mouth. That's another cherry denied. I was attributing that it has more visible breast bounce to the model being more detailed, just like her hair has better movement in the WiiU version than the Wii version.

UC4 Drake looks more like his actor Nolan North than in the other games. You went from
this
And I think ZSS looks consistently the same in both versions. The only reason her breasts look 'bigger' IMO is because they had more polygons to work with then before, and thus they appear more refined and more voluptuous to trying to justify her looking different. Big Boss also looks more consistent in his multiple iterations than Samus does. He has more detail, but Big Boss is what an older naked snake looks like. They have the same facial structure, same placement of wrinkles etc.

You said that in response to this
Larger amount of polygons does not=
-bigger butt
-bigger hips
-bigger breasts
So yes you did in fact say that higher polycount=breast physics. Speaking of breast physics, how many people in this thread have to tell you that her breasts don't have physics before you admit you're wrong. Her breasts move with her upper body, they don't have any separate physics on their own. You see how her hair moves depending on how she moves, that is physics. Let it go, you were wrong. That's not semantics, that you not knowing how game physics or modeling work.

And no, we're not done. I said that Samus got more sexualized overtime. You said "No, sorry don't really see a difference" in the face of several pictures proving that yes she did get more sexualized, even to the point of having a beauty mark because reasons. There's also the fact that all of her new animations and new versions of existing animations have her pause in positions that emphasize her body for the camera compared to the previous games, and more so than other characters. Yes that's pandering, yes that's intentional. So yes, bigger breasts, more makeup, bigger hips and butt, less muscle definition in exchange for doll-like body, new animations that emphasize body for the camera<-----if this doesn't seem like pandering to you then you're just being plain dishonest. If you're only refute to these things is "Well it doesn't look that way to me, the person who sees non-existent breast physics" and "well show me where they explicitly said that was, as in, i'm gonna use the prove a negative fallacy" then by all means the discussion is finished.

PtM

Banned
So who's stopping these women from making games and comic books based on their own designs?

Don't tell me what you'd do with other people's characters. Just go out and make products with your designs and let people decide what they want to spend their money on.
Men, duh!

Dice//

Banned
A personal pet peeve regarding this topic, addressed at no one in particular: I am really annoyed when people cite plot justifications for skimpy outfits, as if the stories of these games are somehow sacred texts which could not possibly be altered.

"Oh, that skin tight suit gives her special camouflage powers. It has to be very tight because it works as a cloaking field." :This tiny bikini armor allows her to be quick and nimble on the battlefield, and not get weighed down by heavy armor." You could come up with any number of explanations for why the outfits are so sexy.

These aren't serious works of insightful fiction where a character's sexuality might serve some underlying, complex thematic purpose. This is pop culture, guys; in almost all cases, I'm quite confident they started with the sexy outfit, then worked backwards to provide some vaguely plausible explanation for why the girl needs to be wearing a bikini or skin tight latex or whatever.

B-but Kojima says...!!!

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN
But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

UC4 Drake looks more like his actor Nolan North than in the other games. You went from
this
And I think ZSS looks consistently the same in both versions. The only reason her breasts look 'bigger' IMO is because they had more polygons to work with then before, and thus they appear more refined and more voluptuous to trying to justify her looking different. Big Boss also looks more consistent in his multiple iterations than Samus does. He has more detail, but Big Boss is what an older naked snake looks like. They have the same facial structure, same placement of wrinkles etc.

Yup, UC4 looks more realistic. Dunno why you bringing up Nolan North has to do anything. And yeah, Samus does consistently look the same.

Heels(But rocket heels in WiiU), that little pink thing on her left breast, her suit is more detailed, her hair looks slightly different and so does her gun, but looking at it I can say 'Yup, that's Samus.' At a glance she looks the same, when you go into it yeah she's different. Like all the other models.

. Her breasts move with her upper body, they don't have any separate physics on their own. You see how her hair moves depending on how she moves, that is physics. Let it go, you were wrong. That's not semantics, that you not knowing how game physics or modeling work.

So her breasts do move! I stopped saying that her breasts had physics. A while ago. Dunno why you're still clinging on to me saying it once.

And no, we're not done. I said that Samus got more sexualized overtime. You said "No, sorry don't really see a difference" in the face of several pictures proving that yes she did get more sexualized

Posted by that lovely beast Red-

If she's been getting sexualized more, than it's because there's been outputs of better and better models for the character. So 'over time' really means 'more realistically', nyet? She's pretty damn sexy in that pixel image, but that's just me.

There's also the fact that all of her new animations and new versions of existing animations have her pause in positions that emphasize her body for the camera compared to the previous games, and more so than other characters.

Yeah, alot of her animations are different. Probably because her rig between Smash WiiU and Brawl are different. They go out of their way to implement her rocket moves into her previous moves from Brawl(Which is great IMO), and the results are that she ends up recovering more. Because they're rocket boots.

Yes that's pandering, yes that's intentional. So yes, bigger breasts, more makeup, bigger hips and butt, less muscle definition in exchange for doll-like body, new animations that emphasize body for the camera<-----if this doesn't seem like pandering to you then you're just being plain dishonest.

Maybe that's just how the animation came out? And more make up? What? Unless you're talking about that overgrown zit on her face. But again, with better hardware comes more detailed models. And she's always had a doll like body.

Rw3MmRy.png

And this game came out in 1994(Above image From Fusion). So she's always looked like a Barbie.

Heck the breasts in the wiiu model match more closely to this-
aOlROnb.png

So if anything her current model is more faithful to her Fusion art.

Also Big Boss from MGS3 looks different from MGSV Boss. He's not exactly the same, nor should he be. You should embrace more detailed models.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To second Opiate, the "her heels have functions!" thing and other similar arguments is really disingenuous. Yes, maybe they're rocket boots that lets her do stuff she needs rocket boots to do, but you know there is an infinite number of ways to depict "rocket boots" in fiction that don't require heels. That SSB4 Zamus, with her Barbie-esque blonde, busty, curvaceous figure just also happens to have rocket boots in the shape of heels should make it extremely obvious that they're supposed to give the impression of heels.

Because she is a Girl.

And Girls wear Heels.

Other examples of Girls wearing Super Heels even if they don't strictly need to, and are still justified in context of the work to which they belong.

Do you really think all of these character designs just happened upon the idea of using heels for their rocket boots/magic boots/gun boots, or maybe it's because heels look good on a woman and accentuate her legs... an asset all of these characters show off quite often?

Disclaimers (since apparently people need these or else they'll get confused)
- I do not think girls can't wear heels
- I do not think fictional female characters can't wear heels either
- I do not think rocket boots can't also come in the form of heels
- I do not think objectification shouldn't be allowed anywhere
- I do not think putting rocket heels on a female character for the purpose of showing off her legs is inherently sexist, and even if it was it would be a very mild sexism because. hey, plenty of girls wear heels

I do think that putting heels on a female character automatically draws attention to her legs (since that's what they do), and can't possibly happen without a conscious decision, on some level, to show them off. Some people seem to reject the idea that Zamus is being sexualized even on a minor level, but it's really difficult to believe this with her tits and ass and legs in full view all the time in Smash Bros.

And they gave her heels and made her suit shiny (so you can really see her contours) on top of it.

foxuzamaki

This seems like stretching, thats like 4 frames of animation and I didnt even notice it until you pointed it out....infact as I keep rewatching the down nuetral the more it looks exactly the same except the smash 4 one is animated better with slightly more frames.

Crossing Eden

Yup, UC4 looks more realistic. Dunno why you bringing up Nolan North has to do anything. And yeah, Samus does consistently look the same.

Heels(But rocket heels in WiiU), that little pink thing on her left breast, her suit is more detailed, her hair looks slightly different and so does her gun, but looking at it I can say 'Yup, that's Samus.' At a glance she looks the same, when you go into it yeah she's different. Like all the other models.

So her breasts do move! I stopped saying that her breasts had physics. A while ago. Dunno why you're still clinging on to me saying it once.

If she's been getting sexualized more, than it's because there's been outputs of better and better models for the character. So 'over time' really means 'more realistically', nyet? She's pretty damn sexy in that pixel image, but that's just me.

Yeah, alot of her animations are different. Probably because her rig between Smash WiiU and Brawl are different. They go out of their way to implement her rocket moves into her previous moves from Brawl(Which is great IMO), and the results are that she ends up recovering more. Because they're rocket boots.

Maybe that's just how the animation came out? And more make up? What? Unless you're talking about that overgrown zit on her face. But again, with better hardware comes more detailed models. And she's always had a doll like body.

Rw3MmRy.png

And this game came out in 1994(Above image From Fusion). So she's always looked like a Barbie.

Heck the breasts in the wiiu model match more closely to this-
aOlROnb.png

So if anything her current model is more faithful to her Fusion art.

Also Big Boss from MGS3 looks different from MGSV Boss. He's not exactly the same, nor should he be. You should embrace more detailed models.
Yup, UC4 looks more realistic. Dunno why you bringing up Nolan North has to do anything.
He looks different because he looks more like his actor, unlike Samus who looks difference to appeal more attractive.

And yeah, Samus does consistently look the same.

Those are both CGI renders, not the in-game models. All of the comparisons i've posted were of the ingame models, which clearly look quite different aside from the fact that they're both Samus in a zero suit.

No, her upper body moves, her breasts do not, they're a rigid part of her body that have zero physics whatsoever. YOU are the one arguing semantics so that you don't have to admit that you don't know how physics or character models work, seriously, just say it.

This was addressed earlier by another poster.

She started sexualized, but I'm willing to let that slide as an "early days of gaming" thing (not the best reason admittedly, but still, way back when the shock of seeing a girl doing what is commonly stereotyped to "men's work" was good enough). SNES Samus was actually quite muscular, her midriff has clearly visible abs, and her legs are incredibly toned even just by looking at pixels.
Her GCN/DS era was much more reserved. But recently they've gone back to showing her off, again, depicting her in a less athletic way and more in a 'space babe' way. There's not surprise to her, she's been made to look at.
^ This is the issue. And no, her new proportions most certainly aren't realistic, she doesn't even look more realistic herself, she looks more stylized than she did in the prime games.

Yeah, alot of her animations are different. Probably because her rig between Smash WiiU and Brawl are different. They go out of their way to implement her rocket moves into her previous moves from Brawl(Which is great IMO), and the results are that she ends up recovering more. Because they're rocket boots.Maybe that's just how the animation came out? And more make up? What? Unless you're talking about that overgrown zit on her face. But again, with better hardware comes more detailed models. And she's always had a doll like body.
The rig is actually quite similar if not the exact same one. Because some of her moves are literally exactly the same, others are just adjusted versions of previous animations. And no, as an animator, I have to tell you, animation never "just comes out." Especially not 3D animation. It's a ton of work, very very meticulous work over a few months years of time depending on the scale of the project. This is an example of an adjusted animation that got more sexualized than in brawl.
rqmuhj.gif

If you think that pause where her butt is pointed towards the camera is just something that just happened then I'll just add animation to the list of things you evidently know very little about. And yes more make up, more eyeliner specifically. And no, better hardware does not=character gets beauty mark. A beauty mark is a type of birthmark. That's not something that a woman suddenly gets. It's there to make her more attractive. Just like it was in Other M. Which the SSMBU Samus is based off of.

Top Bottom