• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's Fashion/Make-Up/Accessories Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuna55

Arsenic Yellow said:
I cant use anything from them. They have an ingredient that can cause terrible acne after a few months of use (for some skins), though I cant remember what it's called. Perhaps it's bismuth?
Edit: but if it works for you, work it! :)
Eh, it actually cleared up my face, and their eye shadows and mascara don't burn my eyes like most brands do. Never heard about the acne thing though, and I know about 8-10 girls who use it exclusively, most of which have amazing skin. That's interesting.

I gotta say, I was actually really surprised to see this thread, not the sort of thing I was expecting to come across on gaf...

Anyhoo I've never really been in to fashion, I've always prefered to just wear what I want to whether it's cool or not, more often it's not. I do get a lot of stick from my friends, and even my boyfriend who's a trucker has told me to get changed when we're going out.

But recently, like the last couple of years, I've started taking a bit more of an interest in wanting to look good, I've developed a bit of an attraction to high heeled shoes, and even started being a bit more girly wearing skirts and dresses. I still don't like spending a lot of money on clothes though.

So if anyone has any advice on what they think would suit me please say.
This is me

sexydress.jpg

Musha_Soturi said:
I gotta say, I was actually really surprised to see this thread, not the sort of thing I was expecting to come across on gaf...

Anyhoo I've never really been in to fashion, I've always prefered to just wear what I want to whether it's cool or not, more often it's not. I do get a lot of stick from my friends, and even my boyfriend who's a trucker has told me to get changed when we're going out.

But recently, like the last couple of years, I've started taking a bit more of an interest in wanting to look good, I've developed a bit of an attraction to high heeled shoes, and even started being a bit more girly wearing skirts and dresses. I still don't like spending a lot of money on clothes though.

This is me
What is your body type? If you find that out, often you can find out what works best for you. Invest in a measuring tape if you don't have one already. I'm sure you know body types, but in case you dont:
Apple (triangle downward)
Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips.[1] Apple shaped women tend to have slim legs/thighs, while the abdomen and chest look out of proportion compared to the rest of the body. Fat is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face.

Banana or straight (rectangular)
The waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hips or bust measurement. Body fat is distributed predominantly in the abdomen, buttocks, chest, and face. This overall fat distribution creates the typical ruler (straight) shape.

Pear or spoon or bell (triangle upward)
The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.[1] The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips, and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this body type tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs, and a small(er) bosom.

Hourglass shape. (triangles opposing, facing in)
The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist, there is usually a 10" difference or more from bust/hip to waist. Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.​

Based off your picture, you look like you could be a pear or spoon shape. The most common figure is a banana, second is pear, third is apple, and the least common is hourglass (under 10% of women).

Knowing this, a lot of different looks suit different frames, so this can help you omit certain looks. At the same time, just because something doesn't fit your body type guidelines, doesn't mean you cant get it. If you like the outfit enough, don't limit yourself.

What sort of look are YOU going for? Simple, sophisticated? Modern or Retro? Bright or toned down?

Also, I hate all of you for updating this right before my final exam.

Musha_Soturi said:

One of my favourite sites for some fasion inspiration is http://lookbook.nu/
I'd definitely start there for some ideas and get into your local opshops aswell.

These are some ideas in my personal opinion that I think would look nice on you based on your hair colour/cut especially but it all comes down to your personal taste of course...

I think you would suit creamy colours really well, and lace.

This would be gorgeous on you I think... and you could keep the heels but swap out the skirt for some black skinny jeans if it's more your style. I wear heels with skinny jeans and a pretty top plus chunky jewellery out to clubs and stuff a lot... good for both night and day. :)

vic-lace-cream-top-2.jpg

A good rule of thumb I use is legs or chest, never both. If you're going to wear a short skirt or short shorts, wear a modest top. And vice versa, a top with a plunging neckline would look classier with a jeans, or a skirt and stockings. Keep this in mind when picking out dresses as well.

I think a flowy, pretty top (maybe batwing style) tucked into high waisted shorts, with ankle height boots or heels would look really good on you.

Here's some ideas from lookbook that I think you could pull off well.

stripes
1439897_IMG_9551.JPG_effected_copia.jpg

navy blue
1439390_windowrr.jpg

flowy tops with shorts
1436626_IMG_4189.jpg

The only other advice I have right now is not to try and mix too much at once, focus on having ONE statement piece in an outift for example a really chunky necklace, a brightly patterned top.... you might wear a simple black dress in order to show off a pair of killer heels with a really interesting design.

I'm happy to keep going if you want. I love styling people. :)

So I've been testing out some new makeup products this week:
Benefit Cosmetics Feeling Cheeky Mini tints: set of three: 15.00
HighBeam-Large_0.jpg

Benefit came out with a sephora exclusive containing 3 of their tints in mini size. Benetint, Posietint, and High Beam. Their tints are li[ and cheek stains. Benetint is great for a red flush for cheek and lip. Posietint, is a poppy-pink tint to brighten cheeks and lips. Lastly, High Beam is acts as a highlighter for brow bones and cheeks. There are currently four different cheek/lip stains in this collection. The one not included is a brand new shade called cha cha tint. It is a coral cheek and lip stain. while Posie Tint is a great, light color for Spring, Benetint is a more dramatic shade, perfect for fall and winter, when lip stick palettes get much more richer and darker. I find Cha Cha tint to be a wonderful late spring and summer shade, when Corals really shine.

So far, I'm completely in love with High Beam. It works as a great highlighter and last ALL day. I havent fallen in love with the other two shades quite as much, although I've only tried them as lip stains. Each of these bottles are .13 oz while a full size runs .4 oz. at r$28 each. I think posie and bene would work well with cooler skintones better than warmer skintones. They arent actually unflattering, I just havent fallen in love with them. I will probably start using them as cheek stains later this week.

I also picked up a product I've been waiting months to try:
Guerlain's Terracotta Loose Powder Kohl Liner in Noir: $36
P116908_hero.jpg

Guerlain has always been known for their luxery makeup and fragrances. After buying their pearl meteorites, I fell in love with the company. For the past week, I've been trying their kohl eyeliners. This was my first experience using loose eyeliners and I will probably never buy another eyeliner again (aside from milani's eyeliners). The application intrigued me the most. Instead of a brush, it is a plastic applicator. The instruction manual has two different methods of application, Western and Eastern. From their site:
Eastern style: remove the applicator from the vial and place on the inner corner of the eye and draw out the colour, eyes closed, to the outer corner: creates a fiery look and incandescent pupils.
Western style: apply the powder around the eye contour to open up and emphasise the eyes. A smooth, intense, velvety look.​
I bought these with the sole intent of using them on my water line, s I have been trying out the Eastern method. Every review I've seen fr this has said that they needed to practice several times to get the hang of eastern application, but I found it incredibly simple and got the look after the initial try. only one swipe and you literally have the perfect, intense eye look. This lasts ALL DAY with no reapplying, which is amazing because usually anything on my upper water line washes away within an hour. Most people will stay away from an eyeliner this price, but similar to other products by guerlain (such as their non-pressed meteorites), these vials last FOREVER. Currently there are three permanent shades, Noir( black), Bleu (deep blue) and Brun (light brown). I picked up Noir and will be picking up the other two soon. There are also a lot of limited edition and discontinued colors I will be hunting for. So if anyone is looking for a long lasting eyeliner for the water line and willing to spend a little money for a lot of product, this is the item you are looking for.

Here’s a quick history of the loose kohl release dates:
2001: 01 Noir, 02 Brun, and 03 Bleu
2002: Kaki (limited edition)
2003: Pourpre (limited edition)
2004: Secret Glow 00 (limited edition)
2005: Aqua Blue (limited edition)
2006: A new launch: Brun Dore 02, in replacement of Brun 02
2007: Oriental Bronze (limited edition)
2008: A new launch: Oriental Metal 04, and the discontinuation of Secret Glow 00
2009: Limited edition release of 05 Lagon Bleu (Lagoon Blue)
2010: Limited edition release of 06 Mirage​

I've been testing out the urban decay 15th anniversary palette, which I will review next week. Also, temptalia announced Urban Decay's Bok of Shadows vol IV today. Here is a link to the pictures. I'm so tempted to buy, but I still need to purchase their book of shadows III. It'll be on sale August 20th at Sephora on times square from 1pm-7pm.
Urban Decay's Book of Shadows IV preview

It comes with:
a pull-out drawer showcasing 16 shadows (10 of which are brand-new, exclusive to this collection),
a full-sized version of the new 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion
travel-sized Supercurl Curling Mascara
travel-sized Eyeshadow Primer Potion
a mirror
a portable speaker
a USB cord
audio cable
and ‘Get the Look’ QR card.​
Urban Decay AND Guerlain are killing my wallet this year :(

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Oh, man I wish I could afford even the half of those products, but I ish poor.

I just got Jemma Kidd Ligh As Air Liquid Foundation for summer since I don't want a dewy foundation, I love that the coverage is soooo light that it doesn't look heavy or cakey or like you have a ton of foundation on. Its a bit on the drying side on my skin, but then again so is every other foundation. Using Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream underneath helps immensely. This cream is my personal HOLY GRAIL product. I can live without everything but this cream.

Do you guys like jewellery?I am not too huge on them. An earring once in a while or my engagement ring sometimes but other than that, I don't really wear them much. My sister's got a huge collection and I just nick some off her when I feel like wearing some, since she's got a bajillion of them. :lol I'm the same with bags or shows, only have 3 bags and those were given to me by my sisters. Same with shoes, my sister bought them for me. I'm only really into clothes and a bit of face/body care stuff.

Also, I hate wearing normal heels. I'm certain it was a man who invented them!! SOme of them are so bloody uncomfortable to wear, it's like torture! I do however LOVE thick all over heels, I think they're called block wedge sandals.

6jewqf.jpg

5lb4p3.jpg

2wgt6cg.jpg

Love these shoes!!

I've been wearing contacts lately, and I really like wearing them, I've been wearing glasses since I was like... 10, maybe younger. The problem is that I look exhausted. My gramma said that it's because of me wearing my glasses for so many years, but I have no idea what to do about it. It's like I have bags under my eyes or something. If anyone needs a pic I have one, but I hate how I look in it.
I'd be okay with wearing a little make-up, but I usually don't wear any. Should I use concealer? I wouldn't even know where to start on the whole make-up front.
I get good sleep, so it's not like I'm sleep deprived. I'm so clueless. :(
Someone help, please?

Musha_Soturi said:

This is me

sexydress.jpg

Pic reminds me of the theater employee n Demons. Great look.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Chef Cat said:
I've been wearing contacts lately, and I really like wearing them, I've been wearing glasses since I was like... 10, maybe younger. The problem is that I look exhausted. My gramma said that it's because of me wearing my glasses for so many years, but I have no idea what to do about it. It's like I have bags under my eyes or something. If anyone needs a pic I have one, but I hate how I look in it.
I'd be okay with wearing a little make-up, but I usually don't wear any. Should I use concealer? I wouldn't even know where to start on the whole make-up front.
Someone help, please?

i posted this in another thread, so i'll just paste it here. i'm also prone to really horrible dark circles and bags, and have tried pretty much EVERY eye treatment, eye mask, eye cream, concealer, corrector in existence.

after years of searching i've found my two holy grail products for dealing with it, and i can't recommend them enough:

KiehlsCreamyEyeTreatmentwithAvocado.jpg

don't bother with ANY other eye creams, this right here is the shit. i've tried all kinds of super expensive eye creams from all kinds of really high-end brands, this is the only one i noticed it's actually doing something. put this on under your eyes before you sleep and you'll wake up with supple, moistened, buttery skin under your eyes instead of ugly dark circles. this stuff is just amazing! tiny bottle, but will easily last you half a year.

Corrector_Bisque.jpg

after that, get the bobbi brown corrector in the right colour for your skin tone. nothing covers up dark circles like this corrector does, it's simply unbeatable. it's made to correct the skin tone under your eyes and not to just cover stuff up, so it applies like it's invisible (even men could easily get away with it). it's creamy, non-cakey, doesn't sink into fine lines, and it's moisturizing. and you only need the tiniest tiniest bit. one compact could easily last you a year.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
granted, they both aren't cheap, i'd say mid-range priced... but i wouldn't recommend them unless i really truly believed that they work and are totally worth it. i only wish i had known about them years ago! (and personally, by that time i was ready to pay stacks of solid gold to get rid of my circles, haha)

good luck dealing with your tired eyes, it was definitely a major hang up for me in the past.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Chef Cat said:
Someone help, please?
Also, when you put on eye creams on your dark circles you're not supposed to put them directly on the skin under the eye inside the orbital bone. The product are too strong and too concentrated for the skin around the eye plus you can cause irritation and redness. You're supposed to put the cream on your orbital bone and take it all the way up to the brow bone.

http://www.eyegel.com/how-to-apply-eye-gel

ikkemenx

Oh snap, I totally missed this thread!

Recent, awesome purchase (a cousin of mine works at Body Shop and gets 50% off, so I honestly have like every one of their products at home):

pd-Ginger-Scalp-Care-Shampoo.jpg

This stuff is amazing. Not only does it smell of ginger, it's gentle and yet does wonders for your scalp! I'm African and I also have the thickest hair you can imagine. No joke- when curly I can't close a hand around it, people who have done my hair have often told me I have enough on my head for like 5 people! African hair requires a lot of moisture, and because I'm terrible and straighten my hair often, I use all kinds of product like serums, heat protectants, etc, and after I flat iron my hair there are simply all kinds of smells that just linger in my hair no matter how thoroughly I shampoo it (that burnt hair smell y'know). This ginger shampoo changed that completely; the combination of ginger and other spices simply eradicates all smells and leaves my hair fresher than ever! I think it's $10 and $14 for the small and big bottles respectively. Check it outtttt

(my hair is 3c for anyone who follows that stuff)

EDIT: while I'm here I may as well ask, anyone know of any good creams to fade acne scars? I have a lot of them, and since my skin is darker they're not noticeable from far away, but up close it's like "oh shi--". I've tried some things but I feel like depending on how bad my acne is at the time they may fade on their own randomly so I have no clue what's worked/hasn't

ikkemenx said:
EDIT: while I'm here I may as well ask, anyone know of any good creams to fade acne scars? I have a lot of them, and since my skin is darker they're not noticeable from far away, but up close it's like "oh shi--". I've tried some things but I feel like depending on how bad my acne is at the time they may fade on their own randomly so I have no clue what's worked/hasn't
I've heard wonders abut Mario Badescu products. I actually plan on picking up their dryig cream t take care of overnight minor hormonal breakouts.
mario badescu

ikkemenx

Arsenic Yellow said:
I've heard wonders abut Mario Badescu products. I actually plan on picking up their dryig cream t take care of overnight minor hormonal breakouts.
mario badescu

It's funny you mention Mario Badescu! One summer I used their products a few nights in a row at a friend's (their gel cleanser with the glycolic acid) and my acne went away completely. A while later I bought that and their SPF 15 oil free moisturizer and it was alright, the lady at the beauty shop (I could only find their stuff at a special store) gave me a sample of their seaweed enzyme cleanser to alternate with as the glycolic acid cleanser as it's quite harsh and basically strips your face completely and I actually saw better results using nothing but the seaweed cleanser. I should go back and buy a full thing of that and see how it goes. The moisturizer was great, contains urea I think. Also, note that the glycolic acid wash can make your skin sensitive to the sunlight if you ever consider trying it.

Angelus Errare said:
Agreed, this whole "skinny as a fucking skeleton" craze really needs to go die in a fire and never return.

Top chick looks like a bulimia victim, bottom chick looks like a healthy woman.

sure, but the post had nothing to do with the weight of either woman, it was the shirt/legging ratio.

Angelus Errare said:
Agreed, this whole "skinny as a fucking skeleton" craze really needs to go die in a fire and never return.

Top chick looks like a bulimia victim, bottom chick looks like a healthy woman.
It's beyond depressing when you wear a size 6, 27" waist but you feel fat because you have curves. Finding outfits that flatter a curvier figure has to be one of the most depressing things for me.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
What does everyone think about La Roche Posay? I've heard great things about it and I'm really in need of a good sunblock for dry skin because that I can also use as a moisturiser as well. I've had quite a few freckles appear around my nose and around the temples in the last 2 or so years, been thinking about getting a good one for a while now. Heard really great things about LA ROCHE-POSAY ANTHELIOS Melt-In Cream . What are your favourite sunblocks?

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Inanna said:
What does everyone think about La Roche Posay? I've heard great things about it and I'm really in need of a good sunblock for dry skin because that I can also use as a moisturiser as well. I've had quite a few freckles appear around my nose and around the temples in the last 2 or so years, been thinking about getting a good one for a while now. Heard really great things about LA ROCHE-POSAY ANTHELIOS Melt-In Cream . What are your favourite sunblocks?

while i haven't used their sunscreens, i've used la roche-posay's posthelios cream for sunburned skin. i love it.

popcorn

Neo Member
how do you guys feel about suspenders? I bought a pair that came with shorts and a friend joked about it...just wanted to get more opinions.

Zoe

Why is everything purple this season?? I had to build up a new wardrobe for work, and half of my blouses are now purple. I'm sick of it >_<

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
cloudwalking said:
while i haven't used their sunscreens, i've used la roche-posay's posthelios cream for sunburned skin. i love it.
I'm concerned about it being too oily since it's in cream form. Most sunscreen are either too oily or the dry matifying ones too dry, also most I've tried before leave a white film and feel tacky. Read some reviews on makeupalley and most people with dry skin seem to like it so I may give it a try.

Oddly enough I haven't got many purple tops. I do have one or two but one has more blue in it and the other has more red. I've got so many red tops for some reason.

EDIT: Got the La-Roche Posay's melt in cream sunscreen yesterday and I LOVE it! Its not oily at all and just sinks into the skin without leaving a film of oil behind and doesn't feel tacky at all. Highly recommend it for Normal, dry combo (normal to dry), dry and very dry skin types. Might be a bit much for people with EXTREMELY oily skin.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Alright Lady-Age, longshot but you're my Obi Wan in this case.

I'm looking for a shirt that is worn by the protagonist of Before Sunset. Slim odds, but you're as good a shot as I have. Any hints or leads or tips on finding it would be awesome and a half. It's the black top in the following:

Reference link. (click here)

Inanna said:
I'm concerned about it being too oily since it's in cream form. Most sunscreen are either too oily or the dry matifying ones too dry, also most I've tried before leave a white film and feel tacky. Read some reviews on makeupalley and most people with dry skin seem to like it so I may give it a try.

Oddly enough I haven't got many purple tops. I do have one or two but one has more blue in it and the other has more red. I've got so many red tops for some reason.

EDIT: Got the La-Roche Posay's melt in cream sunscreen yesterday and I LOVE it! Its not oily at all and just sinks into the skin without leaving a film of oil behind and doesn't feel tacky at all. Highly recommend it for Normal, dry combo (normal to dry), dry and very dry skin types. Might be a bit much for people with EXTREMELY oily skin.
I'm a fan of Clinique's City Block sunscreens. IIRC, they're zinc-based which makes them easier on sensitive or acne-prone skin. Comes with a decent tint, too, which can pass for a day look if you're not inclined to pile it on.

lennedsay said:
Meh. My jeggings are as expensive as really nice jeans from the same stores, and are just stretchy skinny jeans. They look like regular jeans, down to the pockets, zippers, etc.

Not all jeggings are:
Hue+skinny+jeans+jeggings.jpg

(thank god)
I feel obligated to weigh in on the jeggings thing.

See for e.g., if you haven't already:
AM-I-WEARING-PANTS.jpg

ikkemenx

BladeWorker said:
I feel obligated to weigh in on the jeggings thing.

See for e.g., if you haven't already:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/274325/AM-I-WEARING-PANTS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL! This is awesome.

And SnakeXs, you want the exact shirt? Or something similar?

Ooo D: girly thread..

I recently bought two Sonia Kashuk brushes. I've never really used foundation brushes before. They definitely make the foundation look better than if it were applied by fingers/sponges.

I love this one.. it was about $15 at Target. I'd give it a 4.5/5 since it packs the foundation on (I need a lot of coverage). Doesn't make my face look cakey or anything.
ibf4Uz2IdCI2ck.jpg

This one was about $12. It isn't too dense... it's ok, 2.5/5
ibsoxAQkPD5jei.jpg

I always use kanebo media liquid foundation. It's cheap and works alright for me.

Kind of afraid to use the brushes with colorstay foundation. Heard you have to be fast and I can see it.

Kyuuketsu_Night said:

I recently bought two Sonia Kashuk brushes. I've never really used foundation brushes before. They definitely make the foundation look better than if it were applied by fingers/sponges.

I love this one.. it was about $15 at Target. I'd give it a 4.5/5 since it packs the foundation on (I need a lot of coverage). Doesn't make my face look cakey or anything.

I always use kanebo media liquid foundation. It's cheap and works alright for me.

Kind of afraid to use the brushes with colorstay foundation. Heard you have to be fast and I can see it.

LOVE those brushes! Cheap, and delivers excellent results. Works great with both liquid foundation (i use nars, usually for nights out) and powder (use studio fix by MAC for most days, its the only thing that survives my heinous 16 hour work days)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
ikkemenx said:
And SnakeXs, you want the exact shirt? Or something similar?

Exact would be ideal but if you have something similar in mind that wouldn't hurt.

Kyuuketsu_Night said:

I've seen those, never used them. I've been using ecotool brushes and I like them a lot. Eventually, I'll replace them with MAC brushes.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Zoe said:
I can never get my knots to look that neat.
it's not really a knot but a tuck job, kinda like putting on a tie/bow.

While the light khaki trench looks better, I don't like the piping or the buttons. I think a darker khaki with flat buttons would look much better presentation wise.

ikkemenx

blame space said:
what up girls i love this shit

how many purses u guys got

LOL I'm not a big purse purse-on (ha!) so I just carry around a small, crossbody bag.

6Q3rn.jpg

This in a dark brown and with a strap basically. And the shape is a bit more square. Can't find the actual one online. Not a fan of any of the new Matt & Nat shit D:

Arsenic Yellow said:
Me neither! though I heard they are terrible for your eyes lashes and I have pretty thick ones t begin with, so it's no big deal.

Mine are really long, sucks when one gets bent into my eye. But I guess it's better than having short ones.

LOL....clicked on the link for this thread cause of the "girl-gaf: advice for father thread" out of curiosity and im surprised its going. got bored after all the guys joke posts and when the thread started going hardcore into the make up crap. but wow...more power to the females on gaf! lol

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
BladeWorker said:
I'm a fan of Clinique's City Block sunscreens. IIRC, they're zinc-based which makes them easier on sensitive or acne-prone skin. Comes with a decent tint, too, which can pass for a day look if you're not inclined to pile it on.
Oh, I love Clinique products especially their concealers, sometimes I use Vichy Dermablend, but always go back too clinique's line smoothing concealers they aren't high coverage like Vichy but love the highlight effect they give.

I like Laroche Posay sunscreen but my problem is that I have a very dry skin and I have to put moisturise before that and then very minute amount of foundation on places that really need it because I have a tiny bit of pigmentation around my chin area. But lately I've noticed that when I rub the foundation on top of the sunscreen it kinda rubs off in visible bits.. Probably because of the moisturiser and sunscreen combo. Does that happen with Clinique as well?

shanshan310 said:
I can't figure out how to put false lashes on properly D:

Tricky! Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.

I find putting the glue onto my eyelid rather than the false lash helps. Let it sit for a good while too it needs to be TACKY before you attempt it. Then I curve it and just kinda... stick it straight on and quickly push and prod and adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom