• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's Fashion/Make-Up/Accessories Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes false lashes are a real pain but I am happy to actually be able to put them on these days without much hassle.

Like deadmeadow88 said, you can just put the glue on top of your lashes with a tiny brush.. then all you have to do is sit the lashes on and glue doesn't get everywhere =)

It also kind of depends on the quality and band thickness... Japanese lashes are great :p the higher end ones usually sit where they should...

http://www.koji-honpo.co.jp/tsubasa/eyelash/
http://www.nailnail.co.jp/s/d5_eye_make_up.html

My fave lashglue is Duo.. the one that dries clear. It's pretty strong.

jaxword

What's a good overnight cream to regenerate skin and keep it as youthful and healthy as possible? Appearance of said cream doesn't matter.

Serious question.

althe13

I am so jealous of girls who can get the perfect foundation look, no matter how hard i try i can never get good coverage. I mostly use covergirl clean or maybelline liquid to mousse. i also use concealer and powder. is there some technique im missing out on or what!?

jaxword said:
What's a good overnight cream to regenerate skin and keep it as youthful and healthy as possible? Appearance of said cream doesn't matter.

Serious question.

I have found Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair to be very effective.

Re: foundation do you use a brush?

jaxword

deadmeadow88 said:
I have found Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair to be very effective.

Can you recommend anything for daytime use?

Again, appearance is not an issue, I'll wear a damn mud mask all day if I have to.

althe13 said:
I am so jealous of girls who can get the perfect foundation look, no matter how hard i try i can never get good coverage. I mostly use covergirl clean or maybelline liquid to mousse. i also use concealer and powder. is there some technique im missing out on or what!?
I think it depends on the foundation. If you stick to a certain brand, try to switch it up. Revlon colorstay has pretty good coverage. What do you use to apply your foundation?

I hope it's just the weather but lately I'll have my make up on and my face looks perfect. After about an hour or so my face is just oily looking, even after using mattifying setting powder. I think now that I have started using moisturizer it has gotten better.

I kind of have to re-apply my foundation up about 3 times throughout the day. Face is an oil factory.

Angelus Errare said:
Agreed, this whole "skinny as a fucking skeleton" craze really needs to go die in a fire and never return.

Top chick looks like a bulimia victim, bottom chick looks like a healthy woman.
I know you mean well and I hate the pressure on women to be thin, but I don't like this kind of talk either. 'Healthy women' come in a large range of sizes and shapes, as do unhealthy women, and some people are just naturally skinny. Besides, the woman on the bottom is still very thin-- I looked much like that when I was medically underweight and ate unhealthily little...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
althe13 said:
Fingers are the best to apply foundation with, rubbing it between your fingers melts the foundation a bit and it goes on easier and blends in nicely but I do that because I have extra dry skin and most foundations don't go on easy on my skin. I think you are probably using the wrong kind of foundation, its almost always the foundation and not the technique.

I have been paying extra attention to my skin and treating the pigmentation around my chin so I don't have to pile on too much make-up. I find that most high coverage foundations end up looking cakey, especially if you have dry skin like me, which is why I prefer a dewy skin finish. I don't mind going for more dewy foundations like Chanel's for that reason and I love that they have such sheer coverage. Doesn't make you look too fake and done, I always like to go with a no make-up makeup that you can barely tell, something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGpLLWnO3XY

jaxword said:
Can you recommend anything for daytime use?

Again, appearance is not an issue, I'll wear a damn mud mask all day if I have to.
Best repair cream I have found is only available in the UK, it works like magic but I don't think it would be suitable for people with oily skin. It's Oilatum natural repair face cream.

jaxword

Inanna said:
Best repair cream I have found is only available in the UK, it works like magic but I don't think it would be suitable for people with oily skin. It's Oilatum natural repair face cream.

Damn, I'm an oily bum, yet at the same time dry.

On that note. DIET. Is there a certain amount of foodstuffs that I should pursue for healthier skin regeneration? I have a strict diet already for musclebuilding purposes but I want to add skin health to it too.

jaxword said:

Serious question.

Oil of Olay. They beat more expensive brands hands down in tests. If you shop at somewhere like Walgreens keep an eye out as well for their buy one get one half off sales. I stock up on my products when they're having sales.

Who colors their own hair and what brands do you use? My hair is an awesome color right after I used Feria over my sun streaked hair but I just know it won't turn out the same color the next time I color it.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
jaxword said:
Damn, I'm an oily bum, yet at the same time dry..
You could get away with using it at night only. Why don't you want to use a night cream? Wouldn't it be a lot better for you? Just put it on, go to sleep and let it do its magic. In the morning your skin would feel a lot better and refreshed. Every night I do this my skin feels like butter the next morning! I have to use it during the day as well since I have a dry skin. Actually it would be better to use a night cream since your skin does most of the repairing at night when you are sleeping.

VelvetMouth said:
Who colors their own hair and what brands do you use? My hair is an awesome color right after I used Feria over my sun streaked hair but I just know it won't turn out the same color the next time I color it.
I use Nice n easy and always stay within brown to reddish brown shades. A few months ago I used one of their auburn shades that looked more brown than red and I loved how it looked on the box. It turned out black and dark brown with a hint of red in the sun after a few washes. I've been on the lookout for a good brand that does nice auburn that's more brown than red, haven't found any yet. I don't colour that often though, mostly after every 4 to 6 months.

ikkemenx

Inanna said:
You could get away with using it at night only. Why don't you want to use a night cream? Wouldn't it be a lot better for you? Just put it on, go to sleep and let it do its magic. In the morning your skin would feel a lot better and refreshed. Every night I do this my skin feels like butter the next morning! I have to use it during the day as well since I have a dry skin. Actually it would be better to use a night cream since your skin does most of the repairing at night when you are sleeping.

I use Nice n easy and always stay within brown to reddish brown shades. A few months ago I used one of their auburn shades that looked more brown than red and I loved how it looked on the box. It turned out black and dark brown with a hint of red in the sun after a few washes. I've been on the lookout for a good brand that does nice auburn that's more brown than red, haven't found any yet. I don't colour that often though, mostly after every 4 to 6 months.

Have you tried henna? It's good for your hair (unlike a lot of dyes) and there are some good brown-red hues you can get with it. I would buy the legit stuff from a Middle Eastern store rather than the commercial stuff. I know they also carry it at Lush, don't know how good theirs is though.

JessicaPadkin said:
I know you mean well and I hate the pressure on women to be thin, but I don't like this kind of talk either. 'Healthy women' come in a large range of sizes and shapes, as do unhealthy women, and some people are just naturally skinny. Besides, the woman on the bottom is still very thin-- I looked much like that when I was medically underweight and ate unhealthily little...

I'm underweight but I'm sure I'm either perfect or still too fat for shit like runway. I know I'm too short. But it's part of the unattainable marketing ploy.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ikkemenx said:
Have you tried henna? It's good for your hair (unlike a lot of dyes) and there are some good brown-red hues you can get with it. I would buy the legit stuff from a Middle Eastern store rather than the commercial stuff. I know they also carry it at Lush, don't know how good theirs is though.
Oh that's a good idea, my sister did it some time ago and her hair turned out really nice. But I hear you shouldn't use henna on already coloured hair because the colour might end up looking a bit funny and uneven.

deadmeadow88 said:
Let me make something clear.

Yes.
3645445211_b5da7dc36d.jpg

No.
ctoe.jpg

wat? the first looks terrible, while the second looks hot, although uggs have now been worn into the ground nowadays

UnblessedSoul said:
wat? the first looks terrible, while the second looks hot, although uggs have now been worn into the ground nowadays

From a male perspective, I kinda agree, camel toe aside. First girl's look is horrible to me,but it's not like the second girl is some kind of fashionista either, but it's better than the first.

jaxword

Inanna said:

Oh, I'm not against night creams at all. I was just emphasizing that day creams are perfectly valid options for me as well.

I'm worried about my skin under my eyes thinning, really...I've tried so many things to halt the damage of time. I wonder if Polysporin would work, given its scar-reducing properties?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
jaxword said:
Oh, I'm not against night creams at all. I was just emphasizing that day creams are perfectly valid options for me as well.

I'm worried about my skin under my eyes thinning, really...I've tried so many things to halt the damage of time. I wonder if Polysporin would work, given its scar-reducing properties?
If its the skin under the eye you probably need to invest in a very good eye cream.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
jaxword said:

the skin under your eyes is the most delicate skin on your face. it's some of the thinnest after your eyelids, does not possess oil glands, and is very prone to irritation and damage if not handled correctly.

i would not just go and put polysporin under your eyes...

the skin under my eyes is very thin. it's genetic, i'm super pale, and that results in me looking tired all of the time. however, i notice a huge difference when i religiously use a good eye cream (i suggested one on the pervious page). the skin under your eyes needs moisture above all. drinking a lot of fluids and keeping it moisturized with a good cream will do wonders for it. even the fine lines under my eyes have disappeared.

jaxword

Inanna said:
If its the skin under the eye you probably need to invest in a very good eye cream.

Invest, suggesting how much? I have visited salons and their products are always 100-200 bucks, easily.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
jaxword said:
Invest, suggesting how much? I have visited salons and their products are always 100-200 bucks, easily.
There are a lot of cheaper brands that are just as good, imo. Especially orgins, they make some of the best eye creams ever. And most of them are between £20 to £30 in the UK. I especially love their ginzing cream because it brightens the under eye area and I need all the brightness I can get!

Here is the USA Origins Eye Care site.

EDIT: Salon products come under the professional range that are mad expensive and most of the time aren't widely available for the public, I think.

EYES

cheapy cheap cheap 2 dollar eyeshadow pallettes, white and purple
crease is a cheap gel liner pot smudged to hell (only purple I had with such pigment)
revlon colorstay liquid liner in blackest black <3 <3
clarins wonder perfect mascara in 01 wonder black

CHEEKS

clarins skin illusion in 111 toffee <3
nude by nature light skin tones mineral powder
clinique fresh bloom allover colour in 01 peony

LIPS

revlon colorstay lipliner in pink/rose
revlon colourburst lipstick in 090 true red
NYX mega shine lip gloss in perfect red

:)

Kisaya

Anyone can help me out with really brittle nails? I've really had enough. It's come to the point where even when I run my fingers through my hair that my nails break. I'm so frustrated and I want to have nice healthy nails DX
I tried using nail polish that makes your nails harder but it's annoying to always have to remember to re coat it, cause when I don't they just break ._. I remember going to sephora and there was some formula that you can put on your nails to strengthen them, but it was a really small bottle and like $24 :(

Anyone can help me out with really brittle nails? I've really had enough. It's come to the point where even when I run my fingers through my hair that my nails break. I'm so frustrated and I want to have nice healthy nails DX
I tried using nail polish that makes your nails harder but it's annoying to always have to remember to re coat it, cause when I don't they just break ._. I remember going to sephora and there was some formula that you can put on your nails to strengthen them, but it was a really small bottle and like $24 :(

I have the same problem. You honestly just need to eat more proteins, nuts, meats, etc. It's the only way to really strengthen them. If you're a vegetarian you can try some supplements of some sort. Mine are still relatively brittle, but have gotten better now that I'm taking my diet more seriously.

As for fashion, I tend to be into more retro styles if I'm not just wearing jeans/hoodie/chuck taylor combo. There is a boutique here in Chicago called Taboo Taboo that I'm rather fond of. They're a combination sex shop, pin up girl clothing style shop. They're pretty pricey, but I have yet to find dresses anywhere else that hug my hips as nicely :)

dressesiwant.jpg

dressesiwant2.jpg

dressesiwant3.jpg

yuna55

Prenatal vitamins. Mine look fake right now because they're so long with absolutely no chips. I can't convey how crappy and brittle my nails were before, and I have a small person sucking the vitamins back out of my body right now!

You can get a huge bottle of gummy prenatals at Walmart/Target for around $10 and they're yummy too.

Edit: I posted that and promptly chipped a nail for the first time in a month. lol I can see the white line underneath my nail where it cracked, but it actually held together and with my nails painted, you can't see anything is wrong. MAGIC VITAMINS!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Prenatal vitamins. Mine look fake right now because they're so long with absolutely no chips. I can't convey how crappy and brittle my nails were before, and I have a small person sucking the vitamins back out of my body right now!

You can get a huge bottle of gummy prenatals at Walmart/Target for around $10 and they're yummy too.

this sounds intriguing. what do they contain that makes them different than regular vitamins?

yuna55

this sounds intriguing. what do they contain that makes them different than regular vitamins?

I know they contain twice as much folic acid, and there are some other differences. I have the regular vitamins of the same brand, so I'll compare the two and let you know.

Kisaya

I have the same problem. You honestly just need to eat more proteins, nuts, meats, etc. It's the only way to really strengthen them. If you're a vegetarian you can try some supplements of some sort. Mine are still relatively brittle, but have gotten better now that I'm taking my diet more seriously.

Edit: I posted that and promptly chipped a nail for the first time in a month. lol I can see the white line underneath my nail where it cracked, but it actually held together and with my nails painted, you can't see anything is wrong. MAGIC VITAMINS!

Thank you so much you guys <3 I'll definitely get the vitamins. I'll try to change my diet too if anything since my mom has always been bugging me about the way I eat.

I ordered my first false lashes yesterday. They'll be here tomorrow so I'm looking forward to some experimentation! Normal eye makeup remover will work okay to take them off, right?

Also, I'm awful at painting my nails. Someone do them for me.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
does anyone here have the shu uemura eyelash curler? i've heard great things about it but was wondering if anyone here had tried it out.

251393242_tp.jpg

my $4 walmart curler is not cutting it anymore against my stubbornly stick-straight lashes. it's a hassle and for the time it takes to get a good curl out of it i could be sleeping in later!

also heard intriguing things about heated curlers, anyone tried those?

I havent bought shu umera's curlers. They stopped selling them in the US I believe, but they've been known as the best curlers for such a long time. I'm going to try and get one next month. If you get it before then, let me know how it works for you!

Has anyone tried the "indie" brand Sugarpill? I want to order their palettes because the eye shadow colors are so vibrant. Also, this is a long shot, but has anyone tried Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette? The Naked palette has been my favorite neutral palette for a while now and was wondering how the new one is.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Has anyone tried the "indie" brand Sugarpill? I want to order their palettes because the eye shadow colors are so vibrant. Also, this is a long shot, but has anyone tried Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette? The Naked palette has been my favorite neutral palette for a while now and was wondering how the new one is.

A friend has N2, and I don't like it as much as the original. It doesn't have enough variety, imo.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i've read in several places online that naked 2 isn't worth getting if you have naked 1 already. i will probably still pick it up when i'm in the states later this year, though. there are a few shades in it that i really like. the one dupe shade pisses me off a bit, though.

i'm not sure how to go about getting the shu uemura curler. i've heard that ordering off ebay can be risky because people can and do counterfeit them. i might order one from http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/_us/_en/accessories/eyelash-curlers/eyelash-curler.htm and then pick it up when i'm at my parents' house next time.

i've read in several places online that naked 2 isn't worth getting if you have naked 1 already. i will probably still pick it up when i'm in the states later this year, though. there are a few shades in it that i really like. the one dupe shade pisses me off a bit, though.

i'm not sure how to go about getting the shu uemura curler. i've heard that ordering off ebay can be risky because people can and do counterfeit them. i might order one from http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/_us/_en/accessories/eyelash-curlers/eyelash-curler.htm and then pick it up when i'm at my parents' house next time.

I'll probably pick it up because I love nude palettes, though my next nude palette purchase will most likely be the Balm's Nude'tude palette. It's gotten great reviews and I've never tried a product by them, so a palette is a nice start.

I was at disney's epcot today, I was so tempted to splurge in france at the Guerlain and Givenchy stores. Guerlain has seriously become my luxury/splurge cosmetic. Such amazing, beautiful cosmetics, particularly their pearls finishing powder and their kohl eyeliners. I wish I could afford their liquid products, but those will go by fast. I've heard their lipsticks are also addicting and once someone tries it, they fall in love, but at $36 per stick, I just cant afford it. I'll stick to MAC for lipsticks. Once I run out of my MAC bronzer, I'll probably move onto Guerlain's terracotta bronzers, though I only use it during warm weather and in the summer.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So, I'm a gay dude with extremely light, fine eyelashes and eyebrows; I normally wear glasses and this definitely helps bring some contrast and definition to my otherwise fair-featured face, but without glasses, my face almost looks like a blank canvas. I've been toying with the idea of trying some mascara, but I don't know the first thing about applying/removing it, which brands are good, or even if this would be a weird idea in the first place. Mind you, emo/goth eyes are not the intended effect, just something to make that area of my face stand out a bit.

Is it going to be worth my time and money to try a few from the drugstore or am I going to end up looking silly regardless?

exhume

Cosmic Bus, why not go to a makeup counter in a department store and ask them to help you try out a few? Just find a friendly-looking clerk and inquire, they're usually really nice and helpful. They'll apply it for you as well as give you tips on how to do it yourself at home, and they'll remove it all before you leave the store if you don't like how it looks, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom