• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap Reveal Trailer! ("consoles"/PC)

maxcriden

Update 6/27: confirmed for Wii U

DotEmu/Lizardcube are currently working on a re-imagining of the classic Master System title Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap that released as Monster World II: The Dragon’s Trap in Japan and later as Adventure Island on PC Engine and have confirmed Wii U release. DotEmu will be bringing Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap to BitSummit 4th on 9 - 10 July. Watch the debut trailer below…
http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/146538947884 (via GoNintendo)

--

MouseManRunning.gif

New news, new thread. It looks superb!

Official site:

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/

From the Press Kit:

Description

A good curse makes a good game (or so they say)! turned into a half-human, half-lizard monstrosity by the Meka-Dragon, a lonesome adventurer is facing the challenge of a lifetime! In search for a cure, our mutated anti-hero will explore the many traps of Monster Land... and defeat many stuff-throwing, curse-wielding dragons. How many more transformations can one hopeful body survive, as it turns into a Lizard, a Mouse, a Piranha, a Lion, and a Hawk... The six different forms of our shape-shifting hero make up the cast of this non-stop action-adventure platformer!

Featuring
◾A huge interconnected world!
◾6 playable forms for our shape-shifting hero, with different abilities!
◾Dragons of all kinds! A Zombie Dragon! A Mummy Dragon! A Samurai Dragon!
◾An eye-patch wearing shop-keeper pig who may or may not provide a sense of warmth and direction!
◾Beautiful, hand-drawn animated graphics!
◾A memorable soundtrack, based on Shinichi Sakamoto's originals, re-imagined and recorded with classical instruments!
◾...and more to be announced!

History
A cult classic
We took on making a modern version of the 1989 Master System / PC Engine cult classic created by Westone (Ryuichi Nishizawa, Takanori Kurihara, Hiromi Kurihara and Shinichi Sakamoto). With the help of Ryuichi Nishizawa (Westone), Shinji Fujiwara (LAT), and a relentless commitment of DotEmu to untangle a bunch of documents covered in pixellated dustwebs, we have licensed the IP to create this new version (a first since 1994).

Imagine if Zelda, Metroid and Mario had a love child.
About the publisher
We have partnered with DotEmu to make this game. They have a long history of toying with retro licences and they were as excited as us with the idea of bringing Wonder Boy back! So excited in fact that they are literally throwing gold coins at it! Or at least enough to give us a roof! With a roof and their experience we can ensure that the game will be fantastic!

See at the bottom of this page for links and more information about DotEmu.
About the developer
Lizardcube was founded late 2015 by Omar and Ben. We previously worked together on underdog hit DS title "Soul Bubbles", a physic based game about blowing bubbles and transporting spirits.

Omar worked in Kyoto with Q-Games on the "Pixeljunk Shooter" series. At Media Molecule in England, he laid his papery fingers on the original "Tearaway" and early iterations of "Dreams". He freelanced with Wild Sheep Studios (new team led by Michel Ancel) in Montpellier on "WiLD". He maintains a popular free-software library "dear imgui", aimed at game developers of all shapes and sizes. His passion for retro Sega games led him in the last nineties to create the emulator "MEKA" and the "SMS Power!" research and preservation community which is still active.

Ben graduated from Gobelins School in Paris 2006, co-directing Pyrats short. Since then, he has been working in videogames (“Soul Bubbles”), writing his own comics (“Powa”, “Les Chevaliers de la Chouette”) and freelanced in animation between London, Paris and LA (Dreamworks, Zodiac Kids and many more).

We are partnering with Michael Geyre and Romain Gauthier to create the aural landscape of this game.

Excited to finally get to play this game. Heard amazing things about it for years but never had a good way to get my hands on it. The game not being in that Monster World digital collection a couple years ago was a big disappointment but this announcement more than makes up for it.

Incredible animation! After playing through Wonder Boy in Monster World on Genesis earlier this year, I've been interested in more. Monster Boy looks cool, and this looks just as fun.

Joqu

Yup, said it in the other thread but it's absolutely fucking gorgeous. So stocked this and Monster Boy are happening

I like the look of this one (Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap)

and

I like the look of the other one (Monster Boy: Cursed Kingdom)

I like them both!!

(Monster World rules!!!)

Link1110

I've been reading up on this series a bit, and can anyone fill me in on why the second was on master system and turbo grafx hu card, the third one moved to Genesis and turbo CD, them the fourth moved BACK to master system and hu card? I've never seen any game series regress a console generation

Fularu

Banned
Eh Omar is like the biggest Wonderboy fanboy so I'm not surprised

After a japanese studio, a french one is prety much the best one could hope for a Wonderboy 3 (the most popular one) remake.

Day one (and I have to hop on iRC to tease him a little bit :))

AudioEppa

The gameplay does nothing for me, but the characters are cute, they remind me of a cartoon I would watch when I was little.

woopWOOP

Animation looks really fluid!

I like that they (seemingly) kept the sound effects and enemy damage animations the same.

This remake will be a good way to play a Wonder Boy game for the first time :)

MiguelItUp

This looks absolutely gorgeous! I love the art style, it absolutely fits everything and more. Such a nostalgia bomb. Hopefully we can see this sprawled across all platforms.

Shion

I've been reading up on this series a bit, and can anyone fill me in on why the second was on master system and turbo grafx hu card, the third one moved to Genesis and turbo CD, them the fourth moved BACK to master system and hu card? I've never seen any game series regress a console generation

The fourth game is on Mega Drive, not on Master System.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lovely visual style. I was expecting more of a Mighty #9 concept -> Mighty #9 game situation.

so, we're getting TWO wonderboy games? year of dreams 2.0 !!

More or less. One Wonder Boy game and a spiritual successor that arose from the ashes of the ill-fated Flying Hamster 2 KS.

Fularu

Banned
They didn't

First game is on arcade/master system and PCEngine (Monster World), it was called Wonderboy 2 in Europe. Monsterworld 2 was called Wonderboy 3 The dragon's Trap and starts where the first game ends (With the Dragon Meka turning you into a dragon when dying)

Monster World 3 was released on Genesis and SuperCD as Wonderboy 5 in the west, Monster World 4 was just released in Japan on the megadrive.

Wonderboy (the first one) is Adventure Island and Wonderboy 3 is a plateforming shmup released just for the megadrive and PC Engine CDrom

Oh wow. I don't have any particular reverence for the original games but that looks WAY better than I was expecting. That's like, better looking than a Rayman game.

liquidtmd

Banned
If these guys have done it, I wonder why the MonsterBoy guys didn't (edit: licence the IP)

I know the answer is probably money, but it strikes me odd.

This looks amazing...but my excitement is minimal currently, as I won't believe until im playing it and it's out. This seems like one of those projects that come out blazing, then hit snags and gets delayed for five years.

Link1110

The fourth game is on Mega Drive, not on Master System.

That's monster world 4(this series is confusing)

Wonder boy 1 was on everything
Monster land was master system/hu card
Monster lair was on genesis and tirbo cd
Dragons trap waa master system and hu card
Wonder boy in monster world was genesis and turbo cd
Monster world 4 was genesis

Wonderboy has by far the most confusing history of any franchise. It was all over the place in the late 80s/early 90s.

Foffy

Banned
Quite weird to see an IP that's essentially been omega-dead first get a new game, and now a remake.

Not to shitcan on fans, but has this IP been in high demand? This seems out of left field. Not that it's an issue, mind you.

Shion

That's monster world 4(this series is confusing)

Wonder boy 1 was on everything
Monster land was master system/hu card
Monster lair was on genesis and tirbo cd
Dragons trap waa master system and hu card
Wonder boy in monster world was genesis and turbo cd
Monster world 4 was genesis

I know.

I thought you were talking about the Monster World series.

Wonder Boy isn't a Monster World game, SEGA just used the Wonder Boy brand (because it was quite popular back then) to sell the games in the west.

Top Bottom