• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap Reveal Trailer! ("consoles"/PC)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
JL5G0iT.gif
Hahaha that gif <3

mdzapeer

I remember playing this on the game gear, such an amazing game. Never did finish it, so most likely will play through this one.

Is there a list somewhere of the best versions of all Wonder Boy games?

IMO the best games are:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
Wonderboy in Monster World (Genesis)
Monster World IV (Genesis)

That's the holy trinity of Wonderboy games right there. Honourable mention goes to Wonderboy in Monster Land (Master System).

maxcriden

IMO the best games are:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
Wonderboy in Monster World (Genesis)
Monster World IV (Genesis)

That's the holy trinity of Wonderboy games right there. Honourable mention goes to Wonderboy in Monster Land (Master System).

Thank you! Gotta see if I have all those on Wii VC. I think I might've picked up Dragon's Curse instead of Trap. They're essentially the same game, right? I know I have MW IV.

I know you're an Nintendo guy. Most are on the Wii VC.

The poster above has good recommendations.

That I am! Though I do have PS2/3 as well. Thanks man.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there a list somewhere of the best versions of all Wonder Boy games?

Wonder boy - The original? Sega Master System version. Any version? New Adventure Island on the PC Engine.

Wonderboy in Monster Land - Xbox 360/PS3 Wonderboy Heritage Collection, the arcade version. If not that one, then the C64 port or the SMS port.

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap - Turbo Grafx 16 version because it has saving rather than passwords

Wonderboy in Monster World - Genesis

Wonderboy in Monster's Lair - Turbo CD version, better graphics and sound

Monster World IV - Xbox 360/PS3 Wonderboy Heritage Collection, because it's in english there

randomkid

As posted earlier, three of the games are on sale RIGHT NOW as part of a Monster World Collection on PS3 for $5. The collection is by M2 so it should be immaculate.

NEO0MJ

Art looks amazing, though of course that's no indication if the actually game is good. The originals have a lot of followers behind them though so I'm interested.

MacTag

Banned
Wonder boy - The original? Sega Master System version. Any version? New Adventure Island on the PC Engine.

Wonderboy in Monster Land - Xbox 360/PS3 Wonderboy Heritage Collection, the arcade version. If not that one, then the C64 port or the SMS port.

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap - Turbo Grafx 16 version because it has saving rather than passwords

Monster World IV - Xbox 360/PS3 Wonderboy Heritage Collection, because it's in english there
Also, all these exact releases are still available on Wii Virtual Console. All also handled by M2 except the PCE stuff.

Wii Virtual Console is really the place to go for your WB fix, it was the golden age of re-releases as far as WB goes! :D Back then it didn't seem to matter if they 'sold well' or not, we just got everything regardless - even multiple versions of the same game on the various consoles!

Now we can't even get 1 of them on 3DS VC. :'(

Wii even got the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the infamous VC Arcade lol, and that section barely had any releases!

The Heritage Collection is cool as well (other than missing my fav Dragon's Trap >_>), I had a lot of fun getting all the Achievements.

Amazing games, will keep you busy for a long time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
First off: When is this out. When. WHEN.

Second: This just goes to show what happens when you hire the right artists and animation teams. THIS is what 2D HD is capable of (see also Wario Land Shake It and Rayman Origins/Legends).

So many other retro 2D remakes or 'spiritual sequels' look like crap Flash mobile games lacking the actual flourish of a real anime inspired artist. Well done to the team on this as they have NAILED the charm to a post and hit it repeatedly until coins no longer come out.

Its also hilarious that this is another thing just happening completely outside of Sega (similar to Streets of Rage Remake but through legal license obtaining I see!). Whatever Sonic anniversary shite zombie shuffles out, it won't hold a candle to the pure love and quality on show here for a long dormant franchise. That another publisher is fronting the bux just honestly goes to show what a shambling corpse they are now. A shame as if they re-did other 8-bit exclusive Sega game Tails Adventure after this, that would be another sight to behold.

maxcriden

Thanks very much! BTW, the MWIV on Wii is in English also.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/03/wonder_boy_iii_monster_lair_virtual_console

This review put me off Monster Lair. Are they mistaken as to its quality? It's good?

randomkid

Wii Virtual Console is really the place to go for your WB fix, it was the golden age of re-releases as far as WB goes! :D Back then it didn't seem to matter if they 'sold well' or not, we just got everything regardless - even multiple versions of the same game on the various consoles!

Now we can't even get 1 of them on 3DS VC. :'(

Wii even got the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the infamous VC Arcade lol, and that section barely had any releases!

The Heritage Collection is cool as well (other than missing my fav Dragon's Trap >_>), I had a lot of fun getting all the Achievements.

Amazing games, will keep you busy for a long time.

Yeah VC is great for advanced Monster Worlders, I remember the Genesis one was one of my very first Wii purchases. I'm just saying newcomers are best served right now with the PS3 collection to start. You can get three of the games for $5 on sale this week, whereas it'll run you like $22 or something to pick them up on VC.

Even if people miss the sale though, $10 for the three games on PSN/XBLA seems like a solid deal.

MacTag

Banned

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/03/wonder_boy_iii_monster_lair_virtual_console

This review put me off Monster Lair. Are they mistaken as to its quality? It's good?
Monster Lair is a shooter/platform hybrid more in line with the original Wonder Boy. Different from the Monster World subseries which are more adventure/metroidvania games.

The entire series is on Wii Virtual Console in these forms.

Wonder Boy I
-Wonder Boy (SMS)

Wonder Boy II / Monster World I
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)

Wonder Boy III / Monster World II
-Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
-Dragon's Curse (TG16)

Wonder Boy III
-Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Genesis)
-Monster Lair (TGCD)

Wonder Boy V / Monster World III
-Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
-The Dynastic Hero (TGCD)

Monster World IV
-Monster World IV (Genesis)

Yeah VC is great for advanced Monster Worlders, I remember the Genesis one was one of my very first Wii purchases. I'm just saying newcomers are best served right now with the PS3 collection to start. You can get three of the games for $5 on sale this week, whereas it'll run you like $22 or something to pick them up on VC.

Even if people miss the sale though, $10 for the three games on PSN/XBLA seems like a solid deal.
I'd agree the Vintage Collection is probably the better general intro purchase though there are advantages to Wii VC like 240p on CRT or easily extractable roms which you can then play anywhere.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

I wouldn't call it a classic but that review is definitely a little too harsh. It's not a particularly enthralling game but there's nothing else out there that combines these styles of gameplay, and the music/visuals are pretty good per Westone's usual standards (though the MD ports suffers a bit).

Fdkn

Nostalgia overload with this thread. My favourite game until I got a playstation, and as many others, nobody I knew had played the game lol

2016 keeps getting better !

maxcriden

Monster Lair is a shooter/platform hybrid more in line with the original Wonder Boy. Different from the Monster World subseries which are more adventure/metroidvania games.

The entire series is on Wii Virtual Console in these forms.

Wonder Boy I
-Wonder Boy (SMS)

Wonder Boy II / Monster World I
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)

Wonder Boy III / Monster World II
-Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
-Dragon's Curse (TG16)

Wonder Boy III
-Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Genesis)
-Monster Lair (TGCD)

Wonder Boy V / Monster World III
-Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
-The Dynastic Hero (TGCD)

Monster World IV
-Monster World IV (Genesis)

I'd agree the Vintage Collection is probably the better general intro purchase though there are advantages to Wii VC like 240p on CRT or easily extractable roms which you can then play anywhere.

Thanks for the info. I was referring to WB III: Monster Lair, though--that's different than Monster Lair, I think? Is that one good? Or are those the same game? I bolded them above. @_@ Very confusing to keep track of.

I wouldn't call it a classic but that review is definitely a little too harsh. It's not a particularly enthralling game but there's nothing else out there that combines these styles of gameplay, and the music/visuals are pretty good per Westone's usual standards (though the MD ports suffers a bit).

Appreciate the info. Thanks a ton!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Thanks for the info. I was referring to WB III: Monster Lair, though--that's different than Monster Lair, I think? Is that one good? Or are those the same game? I bolded them above. @_@ Very confusing to keep track of.

They're the same game, the US TG16 CD version just removed the "Wonder Boy III" part (though the JP version keeps it).

maxcriden

They're the same game, the US TG16 CD version just removed the "Wonder Boy III" part (though the JP version keeps it).

Oh, very confusing. LOL. It's so hard to keep track of all these, esp. when you take all the Adv. Island stuff into account. I did remember this post that helps delineate some differences:

The thing about the Wonder Boy and Adventure Island series is that, even on Virtual Console, you have SO MANY OPTIONS to buy the same games, and the naming/numbering is incredibly confusing.

Off the top of my head, my inclination would be to say that Monster World IV and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (that's Monster World II) are the Wonder Boy must-haves, and Adventure Island II (Wii U/3DS only, it's kind of where Adventure Island branched off more to be its own thing), Super Adventure Island, and maybe New Adventure Island on TG-16 are probably the best available Adventure Island games currently on the various Virtual Console platforms. Adventure Island 1/Wonder Boy 1 is the same game and it's a classic, but my gut says that it can get way too frustrating to recommend.

The Wii VC also has a TurboGrafx-licensed non-Wonder Boy version of The Dragon's Trap, called Dragon's Curse, and if I were buying Dragon's Trap again, I might be tempted to buy the TG-16 version instead.

Master System/Dragon's Trap on Wii VC has:
-Actual Wonder Boy series characters and graphics
-Audio switchable between stock Master system and the Japanese FM audio soundchip upgrade add-on
-30 FPS gameplay, which in practice feels pretty choppy
-Configurable buttons
-Passwords
-Straightforward English text
-240p video
-Apparently some kind of glitch where a suit of armor that is supposed to resurrect you when you die and then disappear never does disappear and allows you to just keep using it as many times as you like

TurboGrafx/Dragon's Curse on Wii VC has:
-Characters redrawn to be "different," generic but similar characters
-TG-16 audio
-60 FPS gameplay
-Non-configurable buttons
-Saving AND passwords
-Goofball slang-y English translation that doesn't take itself too seriously
-480p with bilinear filter

On the "this is otherwise super rare" tip on Wonder Boy, Wii VC Arcade also has a 1980s-made but previously unreleased arcade English translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Monster World 1), which is supposed to play better than the Master System version, and Monster World 3 (the Genesis "Wonder Boy in Monster World" game) has an insect-themed TurboGrafx-CD equivalent called The Dynastic Hero that on disc goes for $300-800 used now, but is $8 on Virtual Console.

Kinsei

Banned
This (and the remake) look really good. I'll have to check them out once they get released.

GamePro:

VG&CE:

Sorry, don't have access to part 2 of this guide, it's in this issue:

Wow, I would have loved this as a kid. I wish I had known about the series.

AmyS

Hey AmyS, you wouldn't happen to--

HOLY SHIT, you actually have that issue. I haven't seen that guide in YEARS.

Same here, I found it while looking to see if VG&CE had an actual full written review of WBIII The Dragon's Trap. Seems they don't (might have overlooked it) but obviously they did for the TG-16 port Dragon's Curse.

Shame. Just as well, the guy crafting the guide wasn't even able to complete it. Got stonewalled by Captain Dragon... somehow.

Wow, was that mentioned in part 2 ?

BKK

GamePro:

VG&CE:

Sorry, don't have access to part 2 of this guide, it's in this issue:

You really should put spoilers around that guide! It seems that a lot of people interested in this haven't played the original. Discovering new stuff is one of the most rewarding things about this game.

GhaleonEB

Huge nostalgia blast at some of those magazines. I remember that EGM issue.

In related news, I'm feeling pretty old today.

AmyS

You really should put spoilers around that guide! It seems that a lot of people interested in this haven't played the original. Discovering new stuff is one of the most rewarding things about this game.

Will do.

Psxphile

Wow, was that mentioned in part 2 ?

Yeah, guy ends the guide saying something about not being able to show the rest of the game because he couldn't get past this one section and ran out of time for the feature. He spent days trying, if I recall correctly. First and probably only time I've seen that happen in a printed game mag.

I think the problem was he didn't have a good enough sword to damage the boss. Probably missed an upgrade somewhere.

EDIT: Wow, this takes me back.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What. Are you kidding me, this looks fantastic, how did I not click this earlier what

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It looks a bit different than how I would have expected, but still looking pretty sweet. The locations shown in the trailer are instantly recognizable, and I love how the smoking pig has become such an icon for this game (and they even had the radio in the store playing the little ditty from the original).

But anyways, just looking at the level design it seems to be almost 1:1 with the original with regards to level design. It's so great that between this and Monster Boy, we have 2 new Wonder Boy games to play through!

AmyS

Yeah, guy ends the guide saying something about not being able to show the rest of the game because he couldn't get past this one section and ran out of time for the feature. He spent days trying, if I recall correctly. First and probably only time I've seen that happen in a printed game mag.

I think the problem was he didn't have a good enough sword to damage the boss. Probably missed an upgrade somewhere.

I probably read that way back in the day and just don't remember. Hopefully Retromags gets more VG&CE issues up in the near future.

Joqu

I'd love to see some comparison pictures if anyone would be willing to work on that. I haven't actually played Dragon's Trap so it's a bit hard for me to do it myself.

Psxphile

I'd love to see some comparison pictures if anyone would be willing to work on that. I haven't actually played Dragon's Trap so it's a bit hard for me to do it myself.

Actually I'm surprised someone hasn't already done that w/ the screenshots that were released.

^ oop!

Very excited for this, visual style is pretty much perfect and the fact that the Wonderboy IP will live on after Westone's death is cause alone to celebrate.

Top Bottom