• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Game looks beautiful. Shocking it's layered 1:1 on an ancient game. Don't wanna diss the classic but don't all these assets and hard work deserved also a mechanically upgraded game? Having all of the classic game had and more.

I hope the devs are allowed to do a sequel ++ with these assets because it looks insane.

Shame I have 0 nostalgia tied to the original game, but I'm looking out for it.
I do wonder if the assets are versatile enough to be reused in another adventure? I seem to remember that they don't use tiles but rather big paintings of each level?

Game looks beautiful. Shocking it's layered 1:1 on an ancient game. Don't wanna diss the classic but don't all these assets and hard work deserved also a mechanically upgraded game? Having all of the classic game had and more.

I hope the devs are allowed to do a sequel ++ with these assets because it looks insane.

The game holds up very well. I'm very happy the devs took this approach.

This game is amazing! I played it for about two hours just now, I'm a mouse? I don't know if there's an order the beast forms come in though, the game seems relatively open ended in that respect?

I don't know if I've ever played a game like this before, it's difficult as hell while high too hahahaha. When I die, I always start again at the Village and have to go through everything again to get to where I died, is that how it's supposed to work, or am I missing some kind of checkpoint system?

Oh and the graphics are absolutely stunning

ggx2ac

This game is amazing! I played it for about two hours just now, I'm a mouse? I don't know if there's an order the beast forms come in though, the game seems relatively open ended in that respect?

I don't know if I've ever played a game like this before, it's difficult as hell while high too hahahaha. When I die, I always start again at the Village and have to go through everything again to get to where I died, is that how it's supposed to work, or am I missing some kind of checkpoint system?

Oh and the graphics are absolutely stunning

There's no checkpoints, the game used a password system so you only ever spawn in the village.

ggx2ac

Thank you person who said about that hidden area in
the underground cave with mouse man. Now I've found 4 of those 6 stones.

Edit: Whoops, double post.

So where do I download this on switch? I paid and was charged for it but it asked for my info again, I didnt do it but I only see the buying option.

Fredrik

So where do I download this on switch? I paid and was charged for it but it asked for my info again, I didnt do it but I only see the buying option.
It downloads automatically when you purchase it. If you was charged but it doesn't download you probably just added funds to your eshop wallet instead of purchased the game.

Honestly, I think it's fine to layer it 1:1. As someone who has next to no nostalgia for the series, it's always amazed me how well the Wonder Boy games hold
up.

i agree. its really fun, even with the loose controls. perhaps thats the charm of the game.

Thank you person who said about that hidden area in
the underground cave with mouse man. Now I've found 4 of those 6 stones.

Edit: Whoops, double post.

that area was a pain, but fun. i just finished it after spending about 1.5 hours on it

NimbusD

Anyone else's rumble suuuuuper weak on the Switch?

Its on 100% and I can barely feel it. Works fine in other games.
Yeah devs seem to be having a hard time making the HD rumble the right amount. It's either way too much or too subtle.

The only time I realized anything significant was an interesting feeling when you jump out of water, then I started paying attention to the rumbles other things make and I appreciate it but you've really gotta pay attention. The pro controllers rumble is so weak you can't feel anything at all tho.

It downloads automatically when you purchase it. If you was charged but it doesn't download you probably just added funds to your eshop wallet instead of purchased the game.

I checkked my bank, just shows the charge and a reversal lol. Have no idea why I can't buy this game. i hope it doesn't actually charge me twice.

ggx2ac

I haven't tried quitting the game (just in sleep mode) but I assume when you do it give you the password then?

You don't need a password unless you really wanted to play it old school.

It auto saves, so you can return to the title screen and your save file will be okay.

ggx2ac

I'm trying to find the
last unknown area

it should be in the jungle and it's with piranha man so i thought it should be in that one area with water but i haven't found it. I did find a hidden door but it only took me to where that Cyclops is and nothing else was hidden.

Oh, so that's where it was in the end.
Someone put up YouTube videos of it.

Edit: Now I just figured out how to get the top right sword in the inventory.

liquidtmd

Banned
I got to Piranha Man last night. The game is everything I hoped it would be, and is probably the third best game experience I've played all year behind RE7 and Nier.

Since its origins are from 1989, that's damn impressive. Cannot wait to explore more and start finding the secret areas.

Thanks to More_Badass for fixing my spacing and apostrophe screw up in the title

ggx2ac

Oh.

I got all 6 stones from the hidden areas, it seems to be the same as having 99 stones in the old game for what you can do with it. Unless there's something newer besides the areas you had to find them in.

I'm guessing I almost 100% completed the game now. I got everything except one heart container... Can't believe I'm missing that.

I'll take a break and then play a new game on Hard mode.

Gitaroo

so is the switch version actually native 1080p with actualy high res sprite? Because Puyo Puyo is using the low res sprite for 720p mode even when docked.

ggx2ac

Nah,
it's the one you get to with Bird Man's flying ability.

you just remove the block in the centre, you'll see there's a pattern of shapes. The one in the centre is the odd one out, turn it into a block and then break it to make a question item appear and pick it up

ggx2ac

You're welcome. Hope you kept a list for the rest of us! =D

It doesn't​ matter now, someone put the whole thing up on YouTube. I can still list them below.

the first is obviously the big house in the village that has a new door appear when you finish the game where wonder boy/girl goes to.

The canyon/lava area, you just fly there all the way to the right above the blocks.

Desert, it's in the water to the right behind some blocks you need to break.

Beach, below the water, it's a hidden door on top of one of the platforms near a door that goes to a shop. The hidden door is on this two block platform.

Beach, there's another one, stay above water and go right, it should be with the octopus that are red, turn on retro mode, you should see two blocks to break with lion man on the ground.

Underground cave, you go as mouse man and feel along the walls to your left as you go along, you should find a hidden path through the wall that takes you to the area.

I am blown away. When I discovered that swap to the original sprite graphics, I fell in love with the game and the concept. I have never played anything like this before. Makes me wonder which other classic gems I have yet to discover for the first time. It also fills me with wonder at which other games may receive the same treatment from Nintendo's own library.

Bought this game for the Switch. Normally I'd wait for a PC version and play it with my 8Bitdo SNES gamepad, but it looks gorgeous on the Switch's screen, and it feels awfully appropriate considering The Dragon's Trap was both a Master System and Game Gear game, aka both a console and handheld title. The button-based d-pad is actually more than adequate for playing this game handheld as well, it's just the ergonomics aren't optimal. The gameplay itself has aged to mixed degrees, but it still holds up.

Also, switching between the visual styles from a single button press makes comparing the old and the new so easy and it makes appreciating the remake visuals easier as well - while the old visuals had their charm and comparing is fun in itself, the remake visuals add so much depth and detail to the world. Also, the fleshing out of certain "generic" rooms that were previously just a collection of blocks is utterly inspired.

LizardCube knocked this one out of the park. I hope they remake Wonder Boy: Monster Land as well, and I imagine HD art like this would suit other NES/SMS remakes as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just want to say it's kind of amazing so many people are playing the game now.

As a SMS owner, I always felt like I was the only one playing this game while everyone else was going through the Mario games. lol

jwk94

you just remove the block in the centre, you'll see there's a pattern of shapes. The one in the centre is the odd one out, turn it into a block and then break it to make a question item appear and pick it up

Just did it. Thanks!

Crap, I think I'm stuck!!

Got to the first Transformation room,
switched to mouse, and got the lightning ring, but then I returned to town in Mouse form, and I can't return to the transformation room since you need Piranha form to continue..

Anyone know a way out of the above spoilered predicament?

I just want to say it's kind of amazing so many people are playing the game now.

As a SMS owner, I always felt like I was the only one playing this game while everyone else was going through the Mario games. lol

Yeah it's cool seeing how active this thread is. Really hoping this game sells well enough to justify other remasters. Hoping for more wonderboy games but would take others from that era as well

XaosWolf

It doesn't​ matter now, someone put the whole thing up on YouTube. I can still list them below.

[SPOILERED ASSISTANCE]

Thank ya kindly.

Crap, I think I'm stuck!!

Got to the first Transformation room,
switched to mouse, and got the lightning ring, but then I returned to town in Mouse form, and I can't return to the transformation room since you need Piranha form to continue..

Anyone know a way out of the above spoilered predicament?

Door below the village shop. Hit block. Doorway appears. Boom.

D.Lo

I agree the original slippy controls and relatively clunky combat are not exactly the best of the era.

But what I've found interesting is what this remake does is fixes the original by adding animation. The slippy/floaty controls now have animation 'tells' that actually make the exact same controls better. Also, the fancy backgrounds make the most of the pretty plain/boring level layouts by adding graphical detail. These guys are very talented though, would be great to see them make a game not held back by the old cruft.

Comparing this to say the Duck Tales remake, obviously it looks a lot better, but sticking to the original level layouts is better than Duck Tales which IMO kind of botched the changes it made, DT would have been better taking this approach.

I agree the original slippy controls and relatively clunky combat are not exactly the best of the era.

But what I've found interesting is what this remake does is fixes the original by adding animation. The slippy/floaty controls now have animation 'tells' that actually make the exact same controls better. Also, the fancy backgrounds make the most of the pretty plain/boring level layouts by adding graphical detail. These guys are very talented though, would be great to see them make a game not held back by the old cruft.

Comparing this to say the Duck Tales remake, obviously it looks a lot better, but sticking to the original level layouts is better than Duck Tales which IMO kind of botched the changes it made, DT would have been better taking this approach.

I never minded the controls or combat. I can see how they're frustrating to some but I just saw them as different to other games and something to adjust to. You get used to them after a while.

correojon

Been playing this for 3 or 4 hours, this was one of my favorite games when I was a child even though I never managed to beat it. I´ve already unlocked
Lion Man
, but I didn´t know where to go and ended up
finding a secret zone with some sick Mouse Man platforming and a lot of enemies. I got my ass kicked, lost my 3 potions and died. I didn´t like this zone much, I think the difficulty (specialy the Mouse Man platforming) ramps up dramatically, there is nothing in the game to prepare you for the kind of jumps you have to make and if you fail one (or get hit by an enemy) you fall down and must repeat the section. What´s worse, the closer you are to the end, the more you´ll have to repeat if you fall
:S

Anyway, I´m really enjoying the game, the art is beautiful and the animations are amazing, very smooth and expressive. I love how
Mouse Man
squashes and strecthes or how
Lion Man
´s arm drags behind due to the sword´s weight. Still, due to nostalgia I find myself jumping between retro and modern looks constantly. Same with music; the modern arrangements are great, but there´s something about the old chiptunes that keeps pulling me back. It´s amazing that you can combine graphics and music independently. This game is amazing in these regards.

tolkir

As an epileptic guy, the transformation room is messing with my eyes. I got dizzy after two consecutive transformations.
I have to close the eyes with each transformation.

Rest of the game is very good.

Firebrand

I'd be all over a "Master quest" DLC with new level layouts. Reminds me I still haven't tried the Game Gear version...

just finished it 100%

The best thing about this remake are the remixes, i can't get tired of thoses! Hope the soundtrack will be available soon enough!

Skeletos311

There is a part in the lava zone right after the blue frogs where there are 2 green goblins and in the next area there is a red genie goblin. That's a really good area to farm fire spells and they drop potions too. Just kill the green ones, go to the next zone, kill the red one, go back, repeat.

Skeletos311

Random thought I had. If Zelda had stayed a sidescroller like Zelda II, Majora's Mask might have been kind of like Dragon's Trap.

Top Bottom