• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Never played the original, but this game is a blast regardless, and gives me serious 90's platformer nostalgia that I have missed for years. It looks absolutely stunning on Switch, and the music is good, too.

Can't wait to play more!

wow i love this art direction, huh for some reason i thought this was switch exclusive. Sweet that it isnt, gonna pick this up after i finish p5

zenspider

I am blown away. When I discovered that swap to the original sprite graphics, I fell in love with the game and the concept. I have never played anything like this before. Makes me wonder which other classic gems I have yet to discover for the first time. It also fills me with wonder at which other games may receive the same treatment from Nintendo's own library.

This game is very special - definitely a hidden gem on account of the way the consoles it was on have waned from the gaming zeitgiest: if it was an NES or SNES title, we'd still be talking about

From that era I would just look into the gems from SMS and PC Engine you may not have heard much about: Zillion, Wonder Boy in Monster World, The New Zealand Story, Ninja Spirit, Bonk's Revenge, Legendary Axe, etc.

Alot of the games have a contemporary feel because indie devs can crib ideas from them and few recognize the influence. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus is a good example, and a beautiful game.

XaosWolf

Oops I accidentally finished the game. Thought there was one more Dragon after
Vampier Dragon.

Time to go through and collect everything now. =P

Fredrik

Oh... the difficulty really peaked for me all of a sudden, I hadn't died once until I swapped to lion man, then I
entered the hidden area in the underground with mouse man... Gah! those floating single block and spring jumps! o_O After possibly 30 replays I gave up

ggx2ac

Oh... the difficulty really peaked for me all of a sudden, I hadn't died once until I swapped to lion man, then I
entered the hidden area in the underground with mouse man... Gah! those floating single block and spring jumps! o_O After possibly 30 replays I gave up

It's easier once you finish the game having better gear.

About to get it on Switch. Any reasons why I shouldn't?
My finger is on the trigger, but it looks too simple once I look beyond the visuals. The only non Mario platformer I've enjoyed was Shovel Knight, but this look much more straight forward in design than even that.

Still, I'm interested...

Vitet

Completed at 100%

Now started a Hard save with Wonder Girl. For those wondering, the timer it's the Wonder boy in Monster Land mechanic. A sand clock appears and drains slowly. When it's done, it hurts you and restarts again. The time is stopped in the village area. Collecting hearts restarts the timer too.

hwnRGYr.png

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Completed at 100%

Now started a Hard save with Wonder Girl. For those wondering, the timer it's the Wonder boy in Monster Land mechanic. A sand clock appears and drains slowly. When it's done, it hurts you and restarts again. The time is stopped in the village area. Collecting hearts restarts the timer too.

hwnRGYr.png

How long did it take to 100% it?

ggx2ac

Um... I'm missing a sword. The top right sword in the menu. Where do I find it? Thanks!

Find
the Prince Armor, I forget where it is. Wear it, go to the village and turn into lion to break the blocks that go into the water. Go in, go left and break the block to go into the shop there.

You should be able to buy the new Gallic Sword with that Armor on. Some forms do more damage with it than the Legendary Sword.

How long did it take to 100% it?

I'm missing one heart container because it should be eight hearts in total but I finished around 6 and a half hours to 99% this.

Keep in mind I am a veteran at this game so it's not the same for people that are new to this game.

Plus there were actually new hidden areas in this game.

Yousefb

Whenever you collect coins, I feel this very very subtle vibration that feels like a coin being dropped into a purse or piggy bank or something. And when you switch to retro mode, the vibration (and sound effect for that matter) actually changes! It becomes more pronounced. I thought that was a very cool touch.

Did anyone else notice this or am I going crazy? hah

Vitet

Find
the Prince Armor, I forget where it is. Wear it, go to the village and turn into lion to break the blocks that go into the water. Go in, go left and break the block to go into the shop there.

You should be able to buy the new Gallic Sword with that Armor on. Some forms do more damage with it than the Legendary Sword.

That's not what allows you to buy it. In fact I bought it wearing another armor. What you need is to
find the 6 gems in the 6 secret areas of every transformation

ggx2ac

That's not what allows you to buy it. In fact I bought it wearing another armor. What you need is to
find the 6 gems in the 6 secret areas of every transformation

Hmm...?

I had 5 of the 6 stones and I was able to buy it while wearing the Prince Armor. I actually had the Gallic Sword before I was able to finish the last Unknown area which was Piranha man's one.

The Tasmanian Sword is a game-changer, holy shit. SO useful.

Find

Oh weird! I thought I tried that but he wouldn't sell to me. Huh. Guess I'll do it again.

mazillion

Whenever you collect coins, I feel this very very subtle vibration that feels like a coin being dropped into a purse or piggy bank or something. And when you switch to retro mode, the vibration (and sound effect for that matter) actually changes! It becomes more pronounced. I thought that was a very cool touch.

I haven't had the chance to try this one out yet but I have noticed in some other games with HD Rumble that it feels like they're translating the audio frequency into a vibration. It's hard to explain but it feels like how it sounds. Pretty neat stuff.

ggx2ac

The Tasmanian Sword is a game-changer, holy shit. SO useful.

Oh weird! I thought I tried that but he wouldn't sell to me. Huh. Guess I'll do it again.

It's possible wearing the Prince Armor counts as
one charm stone because I bought the Gallic Sword wearing the Prince Armor when I had 5 stones of 6. Because I know I got it before I finshed Piranha Man's Unknown area which was the last one left for me.

Maybe you don't need that many stones while wearing it, either you check each time you get a stone or I'll do it when I get around to starting a new game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My finger is on the trigger, but it looks too simple once I look beyond the visuals. The only non Mario platformer I've enjoyed was Shovel Knight, but this look much more straight forward in design than even that.

Still, I'm interested...

Shovel Knight wouldn't exist without Wonder Boy. It's a game from 1989, yes - but it's still perfectly enjoyable and extremely concise (in a good way).

one charm stone because I bought the Gallic Sword wearing the Prince Armor when I had 5 stones of 6. Because I know I got it before I finshed Piranha Man's Unknown area which was the last one left for me.

Ooooh interesting. Guess I've got to find those other stones first then! I've got Lizard-Man's, Hawk-Man's and Hu-Man's so far.

Ladekabel

How do I get back in the form changing room? The pi fortune teller hinted I need to be the dragon form but currently I'm mouseform and I don't know how to get there without being piranha form.

ggx2ac

How do I get back in the form changing room? The pi fortune teller hinted I need to be the dragon form but currently I'm mouseform and I don't know how to get there without being piranha form.

If you have the thunder ring, go to the door below the store in the village. Break the blocks there.

Change to retro mode so it's easier to notice.

The HD rumble is really subtle and I found it interesting once I noticed it.

I first noticed while swimming that I could feel the water moving when I pressed the button. It's really cool, actually. I could see people who think HD rumble is supposed to be super strong rumble be unhappy with this, but I love it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm feeling a little bit stuck, I'm the mouse and I reached pretty far into the lava area and seem to be at a water filled dead end. Is this the wrong place to be, and I should just go to the tower area the mouse can climb in?

ggx2ac

I'm feeling a little bit stuck, I'm the mouse and I reached pretty far into the lava area and seem to be at a water filled dead end. Is this the wrong place to be, and I should just go to the tower area the mouse can climb in?

You won't be able to
swim in there until you have the Piranha form. Mouse man is supposed to go to the jungle which is the all the way to the left of the village.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just finished the game and these are my initial thoughts. I'd never played a Wonder Boy / Moster World game before, but I played the crap out of Hebereke / Ufouria on the Famicom, so this type of gameplay and exploration became instantly familiar.

Overall it was a series of ups and downs. Mostly ups, but my god the downs made me rage quit for a bit to cool off, haha. I LOVE the artstyle, the music, the way the world is connected, the character designs, the item lore, the sense of getting stronger as time went on and just the general atmosphere of the game. I disliked the majority of the combat in this game though. The range of the weapons felt so limited. And in some instances I found myself being juggled by the enemies and that shit set me off every time. Especially when it happened with
Vampire Dragon
. Also, I could've 100% done without
Hawk-man. Besides being able to fly to new places and fly over enemies I didn't want to fight, I hated using him.
I also didn't really like the fact that
when you die, you lose all of your damn items! But I know it's a straight remake/update of the original game and once you progress a bit into the game enough, dying becomes less of an issue (at least in Normal)

But like I said, overall I really like this game. I would absolutely play other remakes in the series if they made them and I would 1000% rebuy the game if it released physically.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other games like this or Hebereke/Ufouria where the emphasis is on exploration and finding items and the world is connected in such a way
that there aren't really any death-pits, there's lots of secret areas and everything is connected

Edit: I think I'm gonna start playing Monster World IV. It looks pretty good!

Vitet

Maybe you don't need that many stones while wearing it, either you check each time you get a stone or I'll do it when I get around to starting a new game.

That's weird, maybe it's
5 stones only, as the sixth needs you to beat the game

bumpkin

So... This game is hard? lol. I never played the original version, but I couldn't tell you how many times I died while I was playing it last night. My old school game skills are clearly very, very rusty. I do like that you don't necessarily lose everything when you die though.

Kweh

How well hidden are these hidden areas? Can they be spotted if you look hard enough or is it a case of just pressing 'up' in the hope of there being a hidden door?

DrArchon

Is it just me, or are most of the consumable weapons kinda shitty? I feel like the only ones I use are the arrows to deal with the clouds and occasionally the tornadoes, but I never touch the fireballs or the lightning, and once I got a decent weapon I stopped using the boomerang.

Is there any way to buff them or power them up?

EVH

This game needs more attention. It was a good game, it is a good game and it's the way all classic remakes should be. It breaths quality, love and inspiration. I wonder what engine they used.

DrArchon

I find the boomerang very useful as it has unlimited uses.

But it does so little damage compared to normal attacks. Takes forever to kill enemies with it, and often I'd ended up pushing them back so far that another enemy would pop up to start harassing me. It's 1000000% better than the fireball for sure, but I still prefer just shanking dudes.

I never really used the consumable powers in the original, but I've found the boomerang actually really helpful. Makes the Lion section against the Ninja and Samurai a joke lol.

Fireball and lightning were really helpful in Mouse-man's secret area too. What an annoying place!

How many hearts should I have collected before I enter the final area? I can't remember if I've got them all.

XaosWolf

So, I just finished the game and these are my initial thoughts. I'd never played a Wonder Boy / Moster World game before, but I played the crap out of Hebereke / Ufouria on the Famicom, so this type of gameplay and exploration became instantly familiar.

Overall it was a series of ups and downs. Mostly ups, but my god the downs made me rage quit for a bit to cool off, haha. I LOVE the artstyle, the music, the way the world is connected, the character designs, the item lore, the sense of getting stronger as time went on and just the general atmosphere of the game. I disliked the majority of the combat in this game though. The range of the weapons felt so limited. And in some instances I found myself being juggled by the enemies and that shit set me off every time. Especially when it happened with
Vampire Dragon
. Also, I could've 100% done without
Hawk-man. Besides being able to fly to new places and fly over enemies I didn't want to fight, I hated using him.
I also didn't really like the fact that
when you die, you lose all of your damn items! But I know it's a straight remake/update of the original game and once you progress a bit into the game enough, dying becomes less of an issue (at least in Normal)

But like I said, overall I really like this game. I would absolutely play other remakes in the series if they made them and I would 1000% rebuy the game if it released physically.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other games like this or Hebereke/Ufouria where the emphasis is on exploration and finding items and the world is connected in such a way
that there aren't really any death-pits, there's lots of secret areas and everything is connected

Edit: I think I'm gonna start playing Monster World IV. It looks pretty good!

Don't forget to play Wonder Boy V: Monster World III (Also known by its easier title Wonder Boy in Monster World)

Its the one I grew up with and is still a great game. A bit more weapon variety too! =D

Though one negative: The end boss is brutal.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something important -- I <3 Cosmic Spacehead.

Jazzem

Also don't forget that the TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine version, Dragon's Curse, is still available on the Wii Virtual Console (playable on Wii U as well).
It was a very modestly upgraded port of the Master System version of Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/K1RrEdVyifZuJ9mpxjrkikFnTvRusiIA

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2007/03/dragons_curse_virtual_console

I'd love it if someone modded this version's soundtrack into the eventual PC release, there's some really nice reinditions of the tunes on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OpWtxwjFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_Zr4H-ipo

Feeroper

I'm seriously considering picking this game up. I have vague memories of playing one of the Wonder Boy games for the SMS back when I was a child, but I really cant recall anything about other than the name.

This remake looks great though and looks like it could be a lot of fun, but due to it being a straight remake of the original, is this something that someone with no nostalgia for would be able to get into do you think? It's so tempting.

The reason I ask is I was considering Yooka Laylee - I LOVE that game, but a lot of that is due to my expectation of a Banjo-Kazooie style Rare 3D platformer from the 90's which it fully delivers on imo, but for someone with no nostalgia for that kind of game, they may not see the appeal and find some of the design of that game frustrating.

Top Bottom