• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

There are 4 superheroes you could ask anyone the world over if they've heard of, and the answer will almost certainly be yes; Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman.

DC failing where Marvel has succeeded is completely on them being inept at this whole world-building thing, and it started in 2011 with Green Lantern. That film was supposed to kickstart the Justice League movie universe, but was so horrible they decided to start over with Man of Steel.

Thor has a day (today) named after him. Everyone knows Thor

This is not true at all. She sold as much as Superman and Batman comics in the '30s-'50s (Sensation Comics sold so well based purely on Wonder Woman, she got her own solo book during this time), and still sold steadily at those levels through the Golden Age, hence her being part of the "Trinity" since Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were the only real surviving characters still in consistent publishing due to their popularity and sales after drop of the market post-WWII. And her comic has sold steadily through the years, though she's had more up and downs.

She sold well enough to not get cancelled but she didn't sell nearly as well as Superman (neither did Batman for that matter).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wait you think Captain Marvel will hit 160 ow?

No chance. Look at the openings for Ant-Man, Dr Strange and GOTG for a better idea of where that will open. 90-100m.

CM will hit an untapped market that AM, DS & GotG did not

A Marvel fanboy. What more can be said. I've never even heard of that character until the movie was announced.

i am a fan of good comic book movies - i think ww & aquaman will be 2 solid dc entries

not sure how much money they will bring in after 3 straight garbagetown movies though

RedHill

Banned
Part of it is the lack of advertisement, the other part (I imagine) is audiences getting sick of being fed greyscale edge.

She sold well enough to not get cancelled but she didn't sell nearly as well as Superman (neither did Batman for that matter).

During the time period I mention, yeah, she did. Wonder Woman was a huge character in the Golden Age. She had two comics dedicated to her, and the only other characters that had that at that time were Superman and Batman, though Batman's numbers fell off a cliff around the end of the Golden Age, and a Detective Comics focused more on his supporting cast. That's way more than just 'well enough not to get canceled.'

This is not true at all. She sold as much as Superman and Batman comics in the '30s-'50s (Sensation Comics sold so well based purely on Wonder Woman, she got her own solo book during this time), and still sold steadily at those levels through the Golden Age, hence her being part of the "Trinity" since Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were the only real surviving characters still in consistent publishing due to their popularity and sales after drop of the market post-WWII. And her comic has sold steadily through the years, though she's had more up and downs.

You're right. I was mostly talking about the "modern" post-Crisis era. For years, she was stuck in the 20.000 / 30.000 range, often outside of the top 100, but that finally changed with Rebirth which is great.

I can guarantee more people there knew who she was pre-MCU than any Marvel hero not named Spider-Man. That's a level of goodwill DC should've absolutely capitalized on by now.

Cap and Iron Man? Sure. But I'd argue that Hulk, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and many others were more famous than her in a lot of countries even before the movies. She might be a cultural mainstay in the US, but the only thing she has to her name in most places is an old 70s tv show very few people remember.

During the time period I mention, yeah, she did. Wonder Woman was a huge character in the Golden Age. She had two comics dedicated to her, and the only other characters that had that at that time were Superman and Batman, though Batman's numbers fell off a cliff around the end of the Golden Age, and a Detective Comics focused more on his supporting cast. That's way more than just 'well enough not to get canceled.'

Superman in the golden age was the best selling comic book of all time. It was moving over a million copies an issue. Wonder Woman did not come close to it.

Superman also had SIX ongoing comics at that time (Superman, Action Comics, Jimmy Olsen, Adventure Comics, Superboy, World's Finest).

Dierce

CM will hit an untapped market that AM, DS & GotG did not

i am a fan of good comic book movies - i think ww & aquaman will be 2 solid dc entries

not sure how much money they will bring in after 3 straight garbagetown movies though

I guess all that matters at the end of the day is whether the movie is good, not necessarily how much money it makes. Hopefully like you said, those two movies end up exceeding expectations.

To be fair, no one should expect it to do more than Man of Steel or BvsS anyway. Suicide Squad is the only one it was ever going to beat. It's a bummer that they're tracking it to make less than that.

El Topo

Something I wondered, but does Wonder Woman actually have all-time great comic runs? Does the character have its 'Killing Joke' or 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' (here just coincidentally two works by Moore)? Because I was always under the impression that for a supposedly giant and influential character, she....was lacking in that regard.

To be fair, no one should expect it to do more than Man of Steel or BvsS anyway. Suicide Squad is the only one it was ever going to beat. It's a bummer that they're tracking it to make less than that.

It's a WW1 prequel origin story. It was never going to do anything close to Suicide Squad numbers.

EGM1966

Given the legacy of the character to be a positive female icon I'd like it to do well on principle (if its good as a film too of course).

After SS and BvS though I'm just suspicious they'll mangle the character and her intent and it'll be a fairly average CBM that happens to have a female super hero lead vs a male.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, I have zero interest in watching it. Just doesn't look good and I don't like the casting, Gal is too skinny to be WW. Nothing seems right, outside of Hanz Zimmer soundtrack

You're right. I was mostly talking about the "modern" post-Crisis era. For years, she was stuck in the 20.000 / 30.000 range, often outside of the top 100, but that finally changed with Rebirth which is great.

Well, the Perez run actually sold pretty well for most of his run (though it bottomed out near the end), but yeah, she's had a lot of downs in the more modern era.

Superman in the golden age was the best selling comic book of all time. It was moving over a million copies an issue. Wonder Woman did not come close to it.

Superman also had SIX ongoing comics at that time (Superman, Action Comics, Jimmy Olsen, Adventure Comics, Superboy, World's Finest).

Yeah, probably not issue to issue, but a lot of the early stuff was within that range. It's hard to get accurate numbers for that time period, unfortunately, but Wonder Woman was a pretty big phenomena when first published. Way more than just sell 'enough not to get canceled' lol.

Something I wondered, but does Wonder Woman actually have all-time great comic runs? Does the character have its 'Killing Joke' or 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' (here just coincidentally two works by Moore), because I was always under the impression that for a supposedly giant and influential character, she....was lacking in that regard.

The Marston and Perez runs are generally considered the 'definitive' runs of the two types of characters Wonder Woman is (with Marston the more sci-fi fever dream type of fantasy, and Perez more the Warrior character that the character is looked at as of now). There's been several solid runs here and there, like the Rucka and Azz runs, and Morrison's Earth One for more current stuff.

But the character does lack a single, definitive story of what the character encompasses. A lot of that is due to the constant reinvention the character has had since Marston died, and the many writers after basically threw out his stuff (because they either didn't really understand it, or did understand it and hated it) to do their own takes that didn't really try to follow closely to the source. The real fuck up was in the '70s when Denny O'Neil took over the comic, at the cusp of a growing women's lib movement, and pretty much destroyed the character. I think had someone with a little more pulse to society had taken over the character and redefined her, her history would be a lot different. But DC lacked a lot of that in those days.

Buckle

Wait you think Captain Marvel will hit 160 ow?
I imagine they are going to pump it full of a shitload of infinity war and Avengers related shenanigans to make it look like a pretty important step in the ongoing story rather than just a origin story.

Its gonna make Spider-Man Homecoming and Iron Man 2 look really insular.

Something I wondered, but does Wonder Woman actually have all-time great comic runs? Does the character have its 'Killing Joke' or 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' (here just coincidentally two works by Moore), because I was always under the impression that for a supposedly giant and influential character, she....was lacking in that regard.

She doesn't have all-time classic stories like Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow, All-Star Superman, Long Halloween or Year One, but she has plenty of great runs, yeah. Pérez, Rucka, Jimenez, Morrison and Simone all did fantastic work with the character. It's just that most of the time she only has one monthly book running while Batman and Superman have like five each plus mini-series and graphic novels so it's hard to compete.

Something I wondered, but does Wonder Woman actually have all-time great comic runs? Does the character have its 'Killing Joke' or 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' (here just coincidentally two works by Moore)? Because I was always under the impression that for a supposedly giant and influential character, she....was lacking in that regard.
The Hiketeia is often pointed to as Wonder Woman's 'Killing Joke' or 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' in terms of iconic stories that defined her. It's the comic with this famous cover:

tCJBspX.jpg

Slayven

She doesn't have all-time classic stories like Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow, All-Star Superman, Long Halloween or Year One, but she has plenty of great runs, yeah. Pérez, Rucka, Jimenez, Morrison and Simone all did fantastic work with the character. It's just that most of the time she only has one monthly book running while Batman and Superman have like five each plus mini-series and graphic novels so it's hard to compete.

This

I wanted to like Simone's run, but what I read was pretty much pure crap.

I wanted to like Simone's run, but what I read was pretty much pure crap.

It started out rough, especially since she was also writing the excellent Secret Six at the time if I recall correctly. But it's worth sticking with. I'd rank it like this:
Rucka current run > Rucka mid 00s run > Legend of WW > Pérez (I love the ideas, just a little bit too old school for me > Azzarello > Earth One > Simone > Jimenez
And I like the Jimenez run quite a bit even though it's a tad overwritten.

Indelible

I hope Wonder Woman is good but I'am pretty much done with the current DCEU, Batman V Superman killed any interest I had in these movies.

Some of those comics weren't made until the silver-age technically, like Jimmy Olsen.

There are 4 superheroes you could ask anyone the world over if they've heard of, and the answer will almost certainly be yes; Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman.

DC failing where Marvel has succeeded is completely on them being inept at this whole world-building thing, and it started in 2011 with Green Lantern. That film was supposed to kickstart the Justice League movie universe, but was so horrible they decided to start over with Man of Steel.

DC (or more WB's)'s major failing has been their inability to promote Wonder Woman for so-long because she wasn't Batman or Superman, so they didn't see the character as a top-priority sadly.

Mashing

That's a shame. The previews look good and it seems they finally learned to put a bit of humor in their movies. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

DeathyBoy

Banned

The fundamental problem is that stuff like Rucka's current run is really good, but it's rooted in "her continuity is a mess let's fix it." It'd be nice if they gave it so someone like Morrison who'd embrace how ridiculous her backstory is.

I mean "she's born from clay" is an awesome origin. Unlike any other. The whole Zeus thing isn't simpler, it's actually needlessly complex.

Slayven

The fundamental problem is that stuff like Rucka's current run is really good, but it's rooted in "her continuity is a mess let's fix it." It'd be nice if they gave it so someone like Morrison who'd embrace how ridiculous her backstory is.

I mean "she's born from clay" is an awesome origin. Unlike any other. The whole Zeus thing isn't simpler, it's actually needlessly complex.

Along with Teeny Booper Batgirl, that is my most hated change. Child of a god but didn't know it? Been there done that.

see5harp

I really hope it does well. Something other than the tried and true stories that everyone has heard a million times should get a little shine. The fact that some old ass property like Wonder Woman seems fresh and interesting is sad.

I believe Wonder Woman has to maintain publication for DC to retain the rights to her, but the original arrangement with her creator.

So Wonder Woman weathered some thin times by dint of that.

EDIT: No longer true, but was true at least as recently as the mid 1980s.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I don't expect Captain Marvel to do $160m OW, but the situations aren't entirely comparable, are they? They're going to introduce CM in Infinity War, so she won't be a total unknown when her first solo movie hits. Maybe Black Panther is a better comparison, but we don't have numbers for it. And Black Panther played a large part in Civil War. It remains to be seen what role Captain Marvel is gonna have.

I imagine they are going to pump it full of a shitload of infinity war and Avengers related shenanigans to make it look like a pretty important step in the ongoing story rather than just a origin story.

Its gonna make Spider-Man Homecoming and Iron Man 2 look really insular.

yeah CM intro will be handled in IW. russos will do her justice, even slayven will be on board.

then they'll pitch a half cosmic/half earthbound CM solo movie that acts as the lynchpin to IW2

it'll do gangbusters

I guess all that matters at the end of the day is whether the movie is good, not necessarily how much money it makes. Hopefully like you said, those two movies end up exceeding expectations.

yes - and good wom will help a LOT. big part of the reason bvs fell so hard was poor wom.

and aquaman just needs to meet my expectations to be amazing - wan + great cast + underwater action sounds brilliant

Cuburt

I think the openings signaled the pent up demand for a DC cinematic universe, but that also made the openings a bit over-inflated. Even if Wonder Woman has the lowest opening, it may mean that demand has normalized or people have been burnt by the quality of the last few films and not just be about how people feel about a Wonder Woman franchise.

Although with how much Suicide Squad was able to open with, despite critical reception and despite the franchise being relatively unknown, you have to wonder if marketing for Wonder Woman has let it down when it was even able to prop up Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad isn't comparable. People seem to forget that it had pretty good legs.

Whereas MoS and BvS had terrible legs and an inflated opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom