• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorma

is now taking requests
There are 4 superheroes you could ask anyone the world over if they've heard of, and the answer will almost certainly be yes; Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman..

Not nearly. Where i live she's a complete non-entity unless you're actually into DCU beyond superman and batman, and not many are.
One of the jokers random henchmen would have more brand recognition.

I believe Wonder Woman has to maintain publication for DC to retain the rights to her, but the original arrangement with her creator.

So Wonder Woman weathered some thin times by dint of that.

EDIT: No longer true, but was true at least as recently as the mid 1980s.

The context he is referring to is the Golden Age, and she was never in any real danger of getting canceled, except near the end of it I guess, when the whole superhero thing basically crashed.

The context he is referring to is the Golden Age, and she was never in any real danger of getting canceled, except near the end of it I guess, when the whole superhero thing basically crashed.

I thought he was talking throughout her history. In which case, I assume 60s WW was indeed in danger of being cancelled.

Also, gotta laugh at that Denny O'Neil comment. He probably had his hand on the pulse of comics/America more than most during that period-- it's just that superheroes were going through yet another crash. Diana-Rigg-WW was more in touch with pop culture than any superheroes were.

LosDaddie

Banned
Should she though? I still don't see any reason why WW should be substantially bigger at launch than say, Captain America, Hulk, Dr Strange, or Ant Man.

It's by all accounts a by the numbers origin story, and the only visible threat in the movie's ads are people with guns. 200 million domestic is the most optimistic projection you can have for a film like this.

I was taking more about potential for the franchise. Audiences are hungry for a female superhero. Wonder Woman is a goldmine WB has yet to tap.

If done right, then Wondy couple easily be a $1B movie for WB

I thought he was talking throughout her history. In which case, I assume 60s WW was indeed in danger of being cancelled.

Also, gotta laugh at that Denny O'Neil comment.
He probably had his hand on the pulse of comics/America more than most during that period-- it's just that superheroes were going through yet another crash. Diana-Rigg-WW was more in touch with pop culture than any superheroes were.

You can laugh, but it's true, and he generally acknowledges that he fucked up with his run of the character (though he will probably never own up to the darker parts of his run that are pretty misogynistic). And comics weren't going through a crash in the '70s lol? The hell are you talking about? That period was a revival if anything. And the idea that his run was in touch with anything about the culture, at least the women libs part that I referenced, is straight fucking nonsense

DeathyBoy

Banned
There's not really an easy $1B when it comes to comic films. At least not with the current exchange rate.

GotG2 is going to finish in the $800-850M range.

The only near cert is RDJ post Avengers gets you a billion in am MCU film. But Homecoming may change that. RDJ better hope it doesn't, because his leverage is that he sells tickets as Stark.

You can laugh, but it's true, and he generally acknowledges that he fucked up with his run of the character (though he will probably never own up to the darker parts of his run that are pretty misogynistic). And comics weren't going through a crash in the '70s lol? The hell are you talking about? That period was a revival if anything. And the idea that his run was in touch with anything about the culture, at least the women libs part that I referenced, is straight fucking nonsense

Well to be fair, it was also an editorial decision to have Diane lose her powers in an attempts to make the characters seem more human, as DC was going through that post silver-age phase of trying to be be serious and relatable like Marvel.

Comics were going through a crash in the 70s. Superman, which was reliably their best seller was going way down. Even his Batman run with Neal Adams which is pretty much universally considered pretty ground breaking and the best pre-Frank Miller Batman run. couldn't stop the downward trend for that book.

Well to be fair, it was also an editorial decision to have Diane lose her powers in an attempts to make the characters seem more human, as DC was going through that post silver-age phase of trying to be be serious and relatable like Marvel.

It may have been, I only know O'Neil apologized for it and said in retrospect how bad it was to that at that point in time. Doesn't stop the fact that he wrote her denouncing her all-mother island, or having her struggling with being a freak because she was made of clay and only had mothers, etc. All that kind of bullshit which I think is, mostly, on him.

Comics were going through a crash in the 70s. Superman, which was reliably their best seller was going way down. Even his Batman run with Neal Adams which is pretty much universally considered pretty ground breaking and the best pre-Frank Miller Batman run. couldn't stop the downward trend for that book.

Hm, you're probably right. I was thinking the '70s was a pretty good era for comics in general, but I may very well be wrong.

kswiston

Not even Avengers?

Avengers isn't even in the same ballpark as a Wonder Woman solo movie though.

Yes, the Avengers films are guaranteed to crack $1B (at least for now). That's about it though.

Iron Man 3 would have been closer to $1.05B at the current exchange rates. Given that the MCU has seen a slight dip since then, I don't know that even an Iron Man solo would have broken the $1B mark this year, had one been released.

Goodstyle

I have a feeling this might be the general reception to the movie:
neutral.jpg

This is optimistic.

Hm, you're probably right. I was thinking the '70s was a pretty good era for comics in general, but I may very well be wrong.

Quality wise there were a lot of good comics, but not really financially. A few of the Marvel guys who were around back then have said that the Marvel Star Wars comics essentially saved the company from bankruptcy.

Comics weren't in a crash, but superheroes were. Horror and fantasy comics were ascendant. I'm specifically referring to the period when Wonder Woman was depowered.

That's when Conan and Red Sonja come into comics, and when we got books like Swamp Thing and revivals of the horror anthology format.

The time was certainly not ripe for pushing Wonder Woman in spandex. 5 years later, yes. Early 70s? Nope.

Ponn

Banned
This is a complete shame. I'm getting strong Captain America First Avenger feels from this movie, I fucking loved that movie. It feels like it will be the strongest DCU film in awhile, it deserves to do well.

The time was certainly not ripe for pushing Wonder Woman in spandex. 5 years later, yes. Early 70s? Nope.

It wasn't about the costume, but what they did to the character in general. It was tone deaf to the time, and...that's not even a controversial statement lol. O'Neil himself has commented on it. They aren't even bad comics, they are fun Charlie Angel type shit and everything, but it basically destroyed the character in several ways, probably one of the bigger character assassinations for a mainstream character in comics.

It wasn't about the costume, but what they did to the character in general. It was tone deaf to the time, and...that's not even a controversial statement lol. O'Neil himself has commented on it. They aren't even bad comics, they are fun Charlie Angel type shit and everything, but it basically destroyed the character in several ways, probably one of the bigger character assassinations for a mainstream character in comics.

O'Neil only wrote a handful of issues though. That run's real embarrassment happens after he leaves the title. He just made her into Female James Bond, which was certainly an improvement over 1960s Wonder Woman comics. Also, sales went up for the period. He may have regrets about the move in hindsight, but it wasn't necessarily a bad move outright-- more like botched in execution.

O'Neil only wrote a handful of issues though. That run's real embarrassment happens after he leaves the title. He just made her into Female James Bond, which was certainly an improvement over 1960s Wonder Woman comics. Also, sales went up for the period. He may have regrets about the move in hindsight, but it wasn't necessarily a bad move outright-- more like botched in execution.

Hm, how long was he on for? I thought he had a decent run. Who took over for him.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This is a complete shame. I'm getting strong Captain America First Avenger feels from this movie, I fucking loved that movie. It feels like it will be the strongest DCU film in awhile, it deserves to do well.

It's fine, WB is ritually sacrificing Guy Ritchie's career to make WW look less shit box office wise. They're gonna slice open King Arthur's throat and pray to the Heathen Gods covered in the remnants of Charlie Hunman's relevance.

Hm, how long was he on for? I thought he had a decent run. Who took over for him.

3 issues.

He crossed her over into Superman which he was writing afterwards, but just for one story. He depowered Superman in that run as well. And he depowered Green Lantern in his book, too.

The guy was scaling everybody back.

EDIT: He came back for 3 issues near the end of this period.

3 issues.

He crossed her over into Superman which he was writing afterwards, but just for one story. He depowered Superman in that run as well. And he depowered Green Lantern in his book, too.

The guy was scaling everybody back.

He only wrote three issues? Well, then I may be mistaken then and am thinking of whoever took over after. I was thinking he had a fairly long run on Wonder Woman, but maybe he was only co-writer/plotter or something?

Lol it will be doom and gloom all the way to June 2nd. Can this movie just get here already then we can talk.

A Wonder Woman movie has had a lot of hills to climb over the decades in order to happen, but it didn't need the stink of BVS/SS pressuring it too.

He only wrote three issues? Well, then I may be mistaken then and am thinking of whoever took over after. I was thinking he had a fairly long run on Wonder Woman, but maybe he was only co-writer/plotter or something?

Nope, he was off the book. Mike Sekowsky (who was the artist with O'Neill) did the bulk of the run, art and scripts. comicbookdb.com is your friend.

Conan-san

Yeah, I hate the fact this shitty looking film might kill Female lead Superheros

As awful as this is shaping up to be it won't punt Captain Marvel off the board. (And besides that I imaigine Marvel have the FF7 Remake Button off of SE for making a Ms. Marvel Movie somewhere down the line)

Kart94

Banned
Hope for the best, but DCEU has been nothing but garbage and i wouldn't be so quick to assume this won't be the case this time.

What a world we live in when Star Lord and his baby talking tree and raccoon friends are a potentially bigger box office draws than Batman and Superman facing off each other for the first time. *Of course Guardians of the Galaxy has way way more quality and personality in 30 minutes than DCEU has in 3 films, but still*

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the DC thread, here's some context

Looking back and past box office predictions to see how well they actually land... spoiler: not all that great.

Winners

Power Rangers was predicted to be 30 mil, opened to 40.5
Beauty and the Beast predicted to be 100-120 mil, opened to 174.75
Kong Skull Island predicted to be mid 40's, opened to 61
Logan predicted to be 65 mil, opened to 88.4
Guardians 2 predicted to be 140, opened to 145

Losers

Ghost in the Shell predicted to be 50 mil, opened to 18.6
Fast and Furious 8 predicted to be between 110-125, opened to 98.7

Guardians is really the only one I'd say was close enough to deem "correct". The others were off by quite a bit. Judging that, I'd say Wonder Woman will probably top out around that first tracking number of about 80-85 mil.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I posted this in the DC thread, here's some context

Looking back and past box office predictions to see how well they actually land... spoiler: not all that great.

Winners

Power Rangers was predicted to be 30 mil, opened to 40.5
Beauty and the Beast predicted to be 100-120 mil, opened to 174.75
Kong Skull Island predicted to be mid 40's, opened to 61
Logan predicted to be 65 mil, opened to 88.4
Guardians 2 predicted to be 140, opened to 145

Losers

Ghost in the Shell predicted to be 50 mil, opened to 18.6
Fast and Furious 8 predicted to be between 110-125, opened to 98.7

Guardians is really the only one I'd say was close enough to deem "correct". The others were off by quite a bit. Judging that, I'd say Wonder Woman will probably top out around that first tracking number of about 80-85 mil.

A fools hope

Platy

Wonder Woman is a HUGE icon ... but she is not a popular franchise.

She has a unique position of everyone knowing her image but nobody knowing shit about her because she was NEVER adapted to anything besides the 70's tv show.

I really want this film to be legitimately good and do well, but the trailers (contrary to what most people say) haven't made me optimistic that it will be a good film. It's my final chance that I will give to the DCEU, after one average at best Superman film followed by 2 duds.

There is also the release of other competing films releasing in June as well, like Cars 3, Despicable Me 3 and Transformers 5, that will probably not do any favors for WW's BO run.

Wonder Woman is a HUGE icon ... but she is not a popular franchise.

She has a unique position of everyone knowing her image but nobody knowing shit about her because she was NEVER adapted to anything besides the 70's tv show.

Yep... and I think a period piece is a tougher sell too combined with the DCEU not having much good if any goodwill left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom