• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man it's going to suck when they blame this on audiences not wanting to see female-led action movies.

You know they will, despite it more having to do with
1. Viewers more weary after Suicide Squad, BvS and Man of Steel
2. People knowing much less about WW than Superman and Batman (and not even having known characters like SS had with Harley and Joker)

Somehow what the studio execs will "learn" from this is that people won't go see a movie with a female lead, when actually the reason I don't care anything about it is the garbage handling of the DCEU so far.

Peru

I thought it would was gonna open big regardless. I guess eventually the DCEU's reputation was gonna catch up with them.

But this is opening big. It's opening as big as MCU stand alone movies. It would be great.

Not sure if people here were expecting it to be the biggest opening of all time.

Ridisc

Banned
If none of the prior films had come out that I hated, BvS, Suicide Squad and this was the first of the DC films I would have seen the trailer, gone, ehhh ill give it the benefit of the doubt. However DC have not earned the benefit of the doubt, they have no credit in the bank for me whatsoever, so when they release bad trailers for a new film my immediate response is, no.

This is dumb.

Comparing it to
1. a Superman movie
2. a movie with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman
3. a movie with 2 of the most popular villains with Batman in advertisements

Wonder Woman will do fine, anyone that expected it to open near those is foolish.

ZOONAMI

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Snyder is the biggest mistake Warner has made when it comes to the DCEU.
That's just not the guy you hire to handle the most important movies in your cinematic universe.

Snyder isn't directing this? Seems to have a relatively limited role. Sure a co-writer and producer but it doesn't really seem like it's his film.

Of course it is. The previous films were about Superman, Superman & Batman and the Suicide Squad.

I think it has a chance at $100 million but $83 million is pretty damn good.

Would be $40 million more than Ant Man domestic and just shy of Dr. Strange. That's about what you'd expect for any origin story not named Deadpool. Wonder Woman isn't a hugely popular character (yet).

This is the other thing: If the studio tries to push a narrative regarding female action leads, that doesn't mean said narrative is impossible to push back against.

Just because they put forth an argument doesnt' mean it gets accepted at face value.

If Wonder Woman ends up being a disappointment both finanically and as a film, there's no reason to cede their shitty "but women just don't work as action stars" to them. zero.

iammeiam

I'm going to be really sad if WW is the movie where the mediocrity of the cinema universe actually catches up with the box office. It's not WW's fault I have no interest in the DC movies at this point, but good luck blaming film quality after Suicide Squad.

And yet I still can't muster any enthusiasm for it at this point.

Slayven

This is the other thing: If the studio tries to push a narrative regarding female action leads, that doesn't mean said narrative is impossible to push back against.

Just because they put forth an argument doesnt' mean it gets accepted at face value.

If Wonder Woman ends up being a disappointment both finanically and as a film, there's no reason to cede their shitty "but women just don't work as action stars" to them. zero.

Yep, but i wish the logic swung both ways

The-Bourne-Legacy-banner-2.png

I'm hoping when I am inevitably forced against my will to this movie they'll play the DCAU one instead. What do I need to slip the projectionist to make that happen?

border

Considering that Captain America only opened at 66 million, I think that's actually pretty good. I feel like Wonder Woman has all the same baggage that Captain America did -- a perception of that the character is kinda hokey, lame, outdated propaganda. Both characters have this "shield" aspect that seems kinda lame in a world filled with firearms. Plus they are both films are World War period pieces, which is always going to drive interest down a little bit.

Ridley327

I imagine this is a combination of the poor WOM that DCCU has earned thus far, and the film not having much in the way of bankable actors for the sake of familiarity. Chris Pine is about as big as it gets, and that sure didn't help the latest Star Trek film.

Unfortunately, I do think the narrative will be spun towards female-led blockbusters not being bankable, but in Hollywood, it's never the obvious problem that's to blame for poor performance.

Litan

Snyder isn't directing this? Seems to have a relatively limited role. Sure a co-writer and producer but it doesn't really seem like it's his film.
I was reffering to the impact his movies will have on the other films.
See The Avengers boost for Phase 2 movies for example.

I bet JL's reception has an impact on Aquaman's performance, wether good or bad.

ZOONAMI

Of course it is. The previous films were about Superman, Superman & Batman and the Suicide Squad.

I think it has a chance at $100 million but $83 million is pretty damn good.

Yeah I think this one will be more dependant on critic reviews than bvs and suicide because of the last 2 maybe not having the best rep, and isn't centered around arguably the 2 most iconic comic characters/universes with villains is sucide.

If it gets 70+% on RT I think it will open to $100mil+.

Firemind

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Snyder is the biggest mistake Warner has made when it comes to the DCEU.
That's just not the guy you hire to handle the most important movies in your cinematic universe.
Isn't Man of Steel the Superman movie with the highest worldwide earning?

Effect

Doesn't that number (not backed up by any other source) basically put it above and in line with most of the Marvel solo films opening weekend numbers. Those are in the wake of the Avenger and Iron Man films doing between 100 - 200 million. Not to mention this is going to be a solo female lead film while all the others are male lead.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe#tab=summary

So how is this a bad thing? Did people bash Thor: Dark World, Winter Solider, or Guardians when they didn't open as high as Iron Man 3 or Avengers? Are we now expecting solo films, 1st one mind you for Wonder Woman, to do as high as the group or team films? Was that there for Ant-Man, Dr. Strange. Are people going to be crapping on Black Panther when it doesn't project as high as an Avenger film?

Real Hero

That would be a great result, all things considered.

I just want the movie to be successful. I mean, I want it to be good as well, but if I can't have that, the least I can hope for is financial success.
If it is bad why do you want it to succeed financially?

Y'all are crazy 80million for WW is good.

If this was a superman or batman movie it would be panic time, but lets be real here.

Slayven

Doesn't that number (not backed up by any other source) basically put it above and in line with most of the Marvel solo films opening weekend numbers. Those are in the wake of the Avenger and Iron Man films doing between 100 - 200 million. Not to mention this is going to be a solo female lead film while all the others are male lead.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe#tab=summary

So how is this a bad thing? Did people base Thor: Dark World, Winter Solider, or Guardians when they didn't open as high as Iron Man 3 or Avengers? Are we now expecting solo films to do as high as the group or team films? Was that there for Ant-Man, Dr. Strange. Are people going to be crapping on Black Panther when it doesn't project as high as an Avenger film?
To be fair none of those movies opened in the middle of the biggest movie going season.

a916

Well no shit it's not going to beat out BVS opening... 9th best all time domestically.

These are the numbers that Marvel kinda expects with their standalone new entries in the MCU... so how this is anything but good for DCEU?

I can't speak on this source, but usually tracking numbers ramp up as the movie release nears. At least the ones from sites like Hollywood Reporter do. So 80-90M this far out is a healthy number.

So how is this a bad thing? Did people base Thor: Dark World, Winter Solider, or Guardians when they didn't open as high as Iron Man 3 or Avengers? Are we now expecting solo films to do as high as the group or team films? Was that there for Ant-Man, Dr. Strange. Are people going to be crapping on Black Panther when it doesn't project as high as an Avenger film?
If Black Panther is projected to have a lower opening than WW t is close to its release I can guarantee you there will be a thread about how low it is tracking.

Feel better?

Hagi

Someone needs to expand on why this is a negative because it doesn't seem like a bad opening at all. Lot of weird framing in here.

I know DC trying to build up that universe, but I don't of anyone who asked for this movie. I have a huge crowd of people that goes out every Tuesday for $5 tuesday and when asking some of them about this movie after seeing the preview, nobody is excited for it, let alone paying to see it.

Well yeah, the brand can only take so much bad word of mouth before this starts happening.

If this and JL tank the experiment is dead for 5-6 years until they try again.

a916

If Justice League came in with these numbers a day before release, then WB should panic.

Someone needs to expand on why this is a negative because it doesn't seem like a bad opening at all. Lot of weird framing in here.

Lowest opening to date carries with it negative connotations. They need about 117M to top MOS and another 15M to top SS...

Shaanyboi

Banned
I know DC trying to build up that universe, but I don't of anyone who asked for this movie. I have a huge crowd of people that goes out every Tuesday for $5 tuesday and when asking some of them about this movie after seeing the preview, nobody is excited for it, let alone paying to see it.

You don't know who asked for a Wonder Woman movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom