• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in a film era where cape movies are established and have clout. If it's tracking like one from before that was the case, that's a BAD sign.

Ninjimbo

That looks like a good number to me. SS and BvS had monster, ridiculous openings. In SS's case, that marketing campaign ballooned the original projections by like 30 million the week before it came out.

We're still a long time away from the movie's release. Maybe it will go up when it gets closer or stay where it's at. Who knows?

I don't think it's going to crack 250 million domestically tho. I think WB will be perfectly content if it can somehow reach 200.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
After getting burned on Batman Vs Superman I'm just going to wait for the reviews. I took the wait and see approach with Suicide Squad and I'm glad I did. Wouldn't be surprised if more people are doing the same.

bryanee

Were people really expecting it do BvS and Squad opening numbers? Maybe it gets closer to MoS numbers but even then that would be more than I expected it do it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If Wonder Woman does poorly, I really don't want its failure to be seized as an excuse for why we won't be seeing more female driven superhero movies. Same for Captain Marvel, although bizarrely, I can see that doing better.

It doesn't look as interesting as the snyder movies to me. I'd skip it entirely if it wasn't a wonder woman movie tbh.

But 83m is great for a female action lead film. People were expecting pretty low for this movie no? This is like Dr. Strange numbers. Painting this as anything but a success in the BO is asinine.

So since Doctor Strange was in the same range Marvel is doomed also?

Doctor Strange is a C-tier solo hero with 0 brand recognition.

Wonder Woman is already a brand in and of herself.

Tracking similarly to a debut film for a niche character instead of, say, any of the recent Cap films, or ASM, or even the BAD X-Men ones, is not a conducive sign of this being a success.

Sephzilla

I want Wonder Woman to be good but this makes me think Wonder Woman, quality aside, is going to pay the price for BvS and Suicide Squad

caliph95

If Wonder Woman does poorly, I really don't want its failure to be seized as an excuse for why we won't be seeing more female driven superhero movies. Same for Captain Marvel, although bizarrely, I can see that doing better.
With the Marvel Brand as long they don't screw it up is guaranteed to do decent numbers

I think it looks like shit, just like the other DCEU movies, but I'm going to see it opening weekend. Ghostbusters and Ghost in the Shell didn't do so well in the last year, and blockbusters with a female lead need support​ before Hollywood decides to stop making them again.

border

We live in a film era where cape movies are established and have clout. If it's tracking like one from before that was the case, that's a BAD sign.

It's tracking in the same range as Doctor Strange, and a little less than Guardians of the Galaxy. This is just a case where the OP poisoned the well by negatively framing the headline, and everyone else just chimes in with "Oh that's terrible" without even looking at the numbers.

mnannola

All the DC movies suck, so is this really a surprise? They need this movie to do well with critics so that peoples faith can start to be restored in the DCEU

Effect

Post Avengers is when you start seeing even the solo's start to make ridiculous returns.

Not really. At least not in the way I think you're thinking.

If we're sticking with Marvel post Avengers 1's $200m only Iron Man 3's been that high. The opening weekend for others were this. Thor: The Dark World $86m, Winter Solider $95m, Guardians $94m. Ant-Man and Dr. Strange were below those. Ant-Man is in the 50m range. Avengers 2 did close to $200 it's opening weekend. Civil War did above $150 as well but let's be real here. That's not at all a solo film. That's Avengers 3 and it was marketed like it was. This possible number is right in line with the other solo films but it has the issue of being a female lead solo film to overcome as well.

Now WW's total might end up being lower then expected or what people want but we're talking about projections for the opening domestic weekend here.

Hagi

Tracking similarly to a debut film for a niche character instead of, say, any of the recent Cap films, or ASM, or even the BAD X-Men ones, is not a conducive sign of this being a success.

How much do you think it would need to open at for WB to deem it as a success?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Also, as a really big Wonder Woman fan....I'd probably be excited for the film if they had anyone else but Gal Gadot in the title role. She's a really poor actress.

kswiston

All they've said is it's over $100mil. Still in the low $100mil range, but not that low.

$80mil opening weekend and $225mil domestic would be really good. Comparing it to GitS is woefully misguided.

I would guess that the budget is somewhere in the $130-160M range. Basically the same range as the lower tier Marvel stuff.

Dude quit ignoring such a blatant factor here, 'tiers' don't matter lol. The biggest female comic character is still a female at the end of the day. They operate on a handicap right out the gate for the box office

Doctor Strange numbers are good and prolly a bit better than expected for this one

shira

$83 million opening and $225 million domestic take would probably be a good result for WB.

I think it really depends on how well Baywatch, PoCDmtnt the week before and Alien Covenant two weeks before that do.

If any of those have crazy WoM, that will cut into WW BO

Aside from the hunger games (which had a huge book following, not comic book) what female led movies have possibly opened this big?

Joni

Let's hope it grows from there and becomes the most successful one.
For fucks sake, it is the only major WW1 movie hitting on time for the 100 years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Snyder is the biggest mistake Warner has made when it comes to the DCEU.
That's just not the guy you hire to handle the most important movies in your cinematic universe.
He did an excellent job with MoS and BvS.

a916

Pretty sure this is meaningless when people take into account DCEU's track record and MCU's track record. There's a such thing as context.

Also for the record, 91M would put it ahead of all X-Men movies except Last Stand.

I know DC trying to build up that universe, but I don't of anyone who asked for this movie. I have a huge crowd of people that goes out every Tuesday for $5 tuesday and when asking some of them about this movie after seeing the preview, nobody is excited for it, let alone paying to see it.

lmao log off please

Reminder that this is Warner Bros, where BvS barely broke even at $800M, so this film will probably end up losing money.

I'm sure they learned the error of their ways and managed to control their budgets for future fi--

I'm sorry, I just couldn't type that with a straight face.

The MCU brand sells those movies alone,
Wonder Woman doesn't have that to fall back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom