• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/02: Netherlands Vs. Brazil, Ghana vs Uruguay |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Nemesis121 said:
Well that's the Judgment of the lines men and he saw nothing wrong nor did the ref.
I'd sooner think that the flick-header threw the linesman off and he missed the call. That's exactly what happened with Spain/Portugal (Xavi pushed the ball through as Villa was offside) and Mexico/Argentina (Tevez headed the ball in off Messi's shot).

Anyway I was more just detailing the nuances of the rules, rather than actually saying they should have called it this or that.

legend166 said:
With a handball stopping the ball from going in, there's nothing else that could have happened. If Suarez didn't whack the ball away with his hand, it was going to be a goal. There's absolutely no doubt about that.

Unless it would have run into his head if he didn't handball it!!!!!!

Doubt!!!!

Road

electristan said:
you think that its a fair trade for Ghana being out of the world cup? him missing one game?
Ghana is out of the World Cup because they missed 3 penalties, not because Suarez put his hand on the ball.

CrunchyB

Awesome day of football :)

First, us Dutchies somehow turning around the match against Brazil and win with a convincing 2-1. That's was crazy, almost everyone in NL thought the odds were against us. A historic victory. Almost 3-1 too.

Ghana vs Uruguay continued with the madness. I missed the first half. I started work early today and the heat and our match were exhausting, so I needed a nap. But I saw the total madness that was the extension + penalty kicks. I was totally rooting for Ghana too :(

Suarez is an ass, but he did the right thing for his country, beauty of the game be damned. Ghana screwed up big time, blundering on 3 penalty kicks means you're not WC-winning material, sorry guys.

Regarding the semi-finals, a mangled Uruguay without Suarez shouldn't be too hard. At least, compared to Brazil.

So.....it looks like we are going to make the finals :D Preferably against Germany. I live in Enschede and a ton of German people are living here as well. It won't be pretty :)

Haunted

Poor Gyan.

Suarez did fine. He gave it all to defend the goal and will suffer the appropriate punishment (getting a red card and not being able to play in the semis or the final, if it should come to pass).

It's tough on Ghana and their supporters because they were the better team during extra time, but that's football.

This was one of the most entertaining match days of the tournament so far for sure. :D

Road said:
Ghana is out of the World Cup because they missed 3 penalties, not because Suarez put his hand on the ball.

:lol Jesus Christ, if it wasn't for the hand-ball it wouldn't have went to penalties. Shit, it's obvious that he did what he needed to do but it is bullshit and the rules shouldn't be so abusable. If you foul to stop a goal that's *inevitable* in regards to legal play then it should be a goal, fucking tech could be implemented here too if you want to be bitchy as the game is frozen anyway.

MMaRsu

Banned
http://twitter.com/ClaroRonaldo

Felipe mello nao deve passar as ferias no brasil... about 7 hours ago via im+

ronaldo-431.jpg

iFootball

carvasd said:
GAF's "Castrol's Fifa World Cup Predictor Challenge" League

if you aren't registred in FIFA.com, please do so as you will need an account... once registered, join the following league

Name: "GAF's Brrrrrrrrrrrrr"
Code: 158813-15613
carvasd said:
30 31 GAFers have joined so far :D hopefully you can join too! ... daily league standings will be published in this thread! whatever WC thread is available!!
Quarter-Finals - Day 1
Code:
POS	Trend	ID		Round-4	TOTAL
1	+	kamimartian	399	1030
2	-	Juicy-Bob	167	955
3	-	xhawkiex	197	940
4	-	f.i.f.awill	116	853
5	+	kottila		329	716
6	+	ColinZeal	167	652
7	+	markao05	195	639
8	+	shagg187	162	631
9	-	Lt.Feathers	0	610
10	-	LabouredSubt	56	601
11	-	aks129		60	591
12	+	Konosuke	195	562
13	+	deceptionist	227	547
14	-	roadbr		0	532
15	-	CheccoZ		60	528
16	-	wc_2011		60	495
17	+	somato		56	468
18	-	Manigol		0	454
19	-	sinnyhalo	0	427
20	-	carvasd		0	424
21	-	bolbronx	0	419
22	+	Sajuuk		153	374
23	+	Mardil		79	367
24	+	scottnak	60	324
25	-	Omega_Man	0	315
26	-	royalpress	0	301
27	-	mikeybwright	0	282
28	-	DevilTrigger	0	254
29	.	GAF_AH		0	199
30	.	doitlive	0	0
30	-	voodoorayray	0	0

Knockout Stage!
The system has now made our own knockout stage, using the top 16 players from Round 3. It will use the total points of each round of the knockout stage to decide who advances!

Quarter-Finals !
Code:
		  kamimartian 399 --	        -- 162 shagg187
	                            |	       |  
			       	    |--      --|
	                            |  |    |  |  
		    Juicy-Bob 167 --   |    |   -- 167 ColinZeal
	                               |    |     
				       |----|
	                               |    |      
	             xhawkiex 197 --   |    |   -- 60  aks129
	                            |  |    |  |   
				    |--      --|
	                            |	       |   
	          Lt.Feathers 0   --            -- 116 f.i.f.awill
NOTE: Regardless of the Knockout phase, we can all continue competing for the Top Spot in the League ;)

Looking forward to tomorrow's games!

Baki

Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol Jesus Christ, if it wasn't for the hand-ball it wouldn't have went to penalties. Shit, it's obvious that he did what he needed to do but it is bullshit and the rules shouldn't be so abusable. If you foul to stop a goal that's *inevitable* in regards to legal play then it should be a goal, fucking tech could be implemented here too if you want to be bitchy as the game is frozen anyway.

If they had scored the penalty that was awarded to them, it wouldn't have gone to penalties.

Haunted said:
Poor Gyan.

Suarez did fine. He gave it all to defend the goal and will suffer the appropriate punishment (getting a red card and not being able to play in the semis or the final, if it should come to pass).
Wait, would he be out of the final too if Uruguay got through? I thought a red was only a one-match ban unless the disciplinary committee extended it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Uruguay x Gana match was probably one of the best I've ever watched. Suárez is a fucking hero.

¡Vamos Uruguay!

Ghana nnooooooooooooo :(

At least they didn't go out like bitches. Shame that they didn't capitalize on the penalty awarded by Suarez' handball but they did well.

I really wanted to see my African bros make it to the end but it's a game I've played many times before to disappointing conclusions.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
We won! :D

Shit, what a tiresome game... Ghana played dirty as fuck though, and the ref clearly had some favoritism
yes, what Suarez did was not morally correct, yet totally within the rules, every other goddamned team would've done the same. He paid the price, and almost all of us did as well

Also, Loco Abreu <3

KevinRo

Gary Whitta said:
Wait, would he be out of the final too if Uruguay got through? I thought a red was only a one-match ban unless the disciplinary committee extended it.

Only the semi's.

No matter what anyone says, Suarez did the right thing.

Haunted

Gary Whitta said:
I'm positive that a yellow-red is a mandatory one-match ban, but the ban from a straight red will always be discussed by the committee and can be anything from only missing one match to two or three matches.

Given the nature of this red, I'd be surprised if we see Suarez again in this tournament.

Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol Jesus Christ, if it wasn't for the hand-ball it wouldn't have went to penalties.
Cute, but that's not how the real world works. What if scenarios don't mean shit.

MMaRsu

Banned
And what a lovely goal that first goal was. If you look back at the replay you can actually hear the crowd go wild with no vuvuzela's.

1z6fdjc.jpg

Wallach

Socreges said:
Oh, I agree. I'm talking about how FIFA can correct such plays, much like the NHL has; not the injustice of it all or anything.

I also agree with this. Terrible how it worked out for Ghana but the rules played out as they were supposed to in accordance with the foul, whether intentional or otherwise.

I simply think that when an intentional hand use occurs to prevent a goal by a defender that is on or behind the goal line itself, that is probably a case where a goal should be awarded rather than a penalty kick. The point of a penalty in any sport is to be worse than all alternatives that could occur when the rules are obeyed. This is a case where the resultng penalty becomes the superior alternative and in sports, that simply should not occur. Whether this can happen in other sports or not is completely beside the point.

Haunted said:
Cute, but that's not how the real world works. What if scenarios don't mean shit.

Right, that's how the world works, and just like if attempted to observe and prevent while-collar crime it wouldn't happened if the tech was implemented to prevent this shit from happening it wouldn't be an issue.

Baki said:
If they had scored the penalty that was awarded to them, it wouldn't have gone to penalties.

This changes the fact that if he didn't abuse the rules of the game it would have been a goal how? That's such a silly argument, he did what he needed to do and that's the way to justify it. Not pretending that the rules are fair and they had an equal chance of scoring a guaranteed goal when they're given penalty.

Fouling a play in the box to prevent them from shooting which may or may not result in a goal: Penalties are fair as the perpetrator prevents a chance on goal.

The same punishment for an offence which prevents a guaranteed goal doesn't seem so fair.

harSon

Banned
toasty_T said:
Ghana nnooooooooooooo :(

At least they didn't go out like bitches. Shame that they didn't capitalize on the penalty awarded by Suarez' handball but they did well.

I really wanted to see my African bros make it to the end but it's a game I've played many times before to disappointing conclusions.

Your avatar made me read the bolded like Riley :lol

Wellscha

What a match!

I was hoping that Uruguay would win mainly because that Forlán really deserves Worldwide recognition.

Heck, I'm rooting for Spain/Germany but if Uru-awesome could actually win this world cup I'd be genuinely happy! :D

espn-world-cup-posters-uruguay.jpg

ccbfan

Finally saw the Uragray and Ghana.

Suarez did nothing wrong. I would expect every player from my favorite team to doing some similar.

From making an obvious pass interference on an certain touchdown reception to a hard foul on a fast break dunk.

Suarez made an illegal play and got the correct punishment for it. Not his fault the Ghana failed to capitalize.

Absolutely no sympathy for Ghana. At least when they got crap done to them they got the proper reward. Against the U.S when they started flopping, faking injuries even though they weren't touched and taking forever to get up to run out the clock, nothing even happened to them. It was so freaking obvious too and not one yellow card or even a word from the refs.

Karma's a b*tch.

ccbfan said:
Absolutely no sympathy for Ghana. At least when they got crap done to them they got the proper reward. Against the U.S when they started flopping, faking injuries even though they weren't touched and taking forever to get up to run out the clock,

Every team does that in soccer.

ccbfan

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Every team does that in soccer.

I watch soccer plenty and I've never see it done to that extent.

The U.S Ghana game was ridicules. The Ghana players would suddenly fall when no one touched them and bam 1-2 minutes off the clock. The refs did nothing about it and actually stopped play every time.

ccbfan said:
I watch soccer plenty and I've never see it done to that extent.

The U.S Ghana game was ridicules. The Ghana players would suddenly fall when no one touched them and bam 1-2 minutes off the clock. The refs did nothing about it and actually stopped play every time.

Well, as much as I love the game and it was and is a huge part of my life, I see it all the time in international competition.

I mean, players act like bombs were exploded in front of them when their legs were barely ticked, etc...

I mean, did you see Kaka of Brasil get a yellow when that one player acted like he bludgeoned him with a machete???

When any player is on the ground and in severe pain, I laugh at them. Either they are complete pansies or acting.

Not all of them but it's a really sketchy sport and the players deserve all the blame.

I wouldn't want to officiate that nonsense.

LakeEarth

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, as much as I love the game and it was and is a huge part of my life, I see it all the time in international competition.

I mean, players act like bombs were exploded in front of them when their legs were barely ticked, etc...

I mean, did you see Kaka of Brasil get a yellow when that one player acted like he bludgeoned him with a machete???

When any player is on the ground and in severe pain, I laugh at them. Either they are complete pansies or acting.

Not all of them but it's a really sketchy sport and the players deserve all the blame.

I wouldn't want to officiate that nonsense.
The greatest thing about soccer is if hostile aliens ever caught a World Cup broadcast, they'd come to earth thinking that the human race is made out of glass and be grossly unprepared when they arrive to take over.

LakeEarth said:
The greatest thing about soccer is if hostile aliens ever caught a World Cup broadcast, they'd come to earth thinking that the human race is made out of glass and be grossly unprepared when they arrive to take over.

:lol

womfalcs3

Banned
MMaRsu said:
2ronip5.jpg

Best save of the cup so far? For The Netherlands at least..

This was a great save, and probably the best of the tournament thus far, but the Robinho run that led to the goal attempt was just as incredible.

xbhaskarx

LakeEarth said:

Not if they watched the US team, because we don't dive or fake injuries.

Gary Whitta said:
I cannot and will never agree with this.

Same here! Just don't hit the ball with your hands and Ghana wins.

Ironically, I think the outcry as a result of this -- and the fact that Ghana, the lone African team in the tournament was the victim -- might create enough momentum that FIFA changes the rule to something along the lines of: "blatant handball to prevent a goal results in a goal awarded and the player ejected". No PK needed.

I mean, they changed the passback rule for some reason, didn't they?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
I cannot and will never agree with this.
Me neither. I understand that he was punished for that and Ghana had the penalty, but that was not fair, and I will never support such attitude. It's football, not handball.

Salsa

Noshino said:
As for the fouls, I don't know what you are talking about :lol And just in case you are talking about Fucile's, he comes too fast, jumps, hits the back of the Ghana player, flips and lands on his back. Please don't tell me you thought that was a foul as that would even make me think less of you.

Im not talking about that at all.

Im talking about a foul to Lugano, another one to Cabani, and then another one to Abreu.

All in the penalty area.

See the match again, please.

ReyBrujo

That is the difference between European and American soccer. In America, after everything fails, you play with your heart and soul. A player from down here will do anything to prevent his team from losing. An European one will likely let the ball in, pick his pay and go back to his mansion to rest ;)

santouras

ReyBrujo said:
That is the difference between European and American soccer. In America, after everything fails, you play with your heart and soul. A player from down here will do anything to prevent his team from losing. An European one will likely let the ball in, pick his pay and go back to his mansion to rest ;)
which match are you referring to?

ReyBrujo said:

Except el ingles Veron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom