• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

Lucifon

World of Darkness cancelled as CCP Atlanta is hit with layoffs

World of Darkness, the in-development massively multiplayer online title based on the Vampire: The Masquerade universe, is no more, developer CCP announced today.

CCP's Atlanta office will see layoffs of 56 employees, it was confirmed, with a number of staff offered roles within the company.

"The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I've ever had to make," CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson said in a prepared statement. "I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I've watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

More info here - http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/14/56...elled-as-ccp-atlanta-is-hit-with-redundancies

I am sad :(

Tripon

MMOs seem like the worst thing you can make a game on right now unless you're willing to spends hundred of millions of dollars in development costs.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was always curious on why this studio was based in Atlanta. Was it an old developer that CCP acquired? As far as I can tell, it was the only game studio in Atlanta...

injurai

Banned
*HA.*

let me take a deep breath

*AHAHAHAHAHAHA*

they've been pouring money into this project for how long now?

Shiokazu

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAaampires.

and the next one in the list is probably that literary one where theres no combat.

McDougles

139094583792.png

No wonder.

Krafter

God Damn it, but I cannot say I didn't see this coming. Perfect setting for an MMO, the wife and I had wanted this one.

Zen

Banned
Between this and the likely money sink that Dust 514 has been, CCP must be licking their wounds.Kind of a shame, considering they were apparently trying to do something different.

mnannola

I wonder if Dust 514 had anything to do with this. I haven't heard how well it is doing, but I would assume it is below expectations.

Armaros

Between this and the likely money sink that Dust 514 has been, CCP must be licking their wounds.Kind of a shame, considering they were apparently trying to do something different.

and EvE valkyrie is most likely their main project outside of EvE itself now.

injurai

Banned

Eve was an unpredictable success. The MMO or Quasi-MMO scene is volatile. They can only blame themselves for trying to double down on such a similar investment.

I was always curious on why this studio was based in Atlanta. Was it an old developer that CCP acquired? As far as I can tell, it was the only game studio in Atlanta...

Couldn't something similar be said of a lot of game studios? It could be tax or incentive related. There's also a lot of filming going on these days in the Atlanta area of late, both for TV and movies (Fast & Furious, Anchorman, Walking Dead, to name a few).

Kimawolf

Nooooo I guess that's that then The dream is dead. I hope they sell White wolf to someone who will do the massive IP justice.

Zen

Banned
and EvE valkyrie is most likely their main project outside of EvE itself now.

And it will probably not sell very much, to be honest.

They have been making stupid decisions outside of EVE. The second it turned out that they could not get DUST on 360 as well, they should have retooled and planned it for a PS4/Xbox ONE (if able)/PC release. Not many people seemingly play Dust (I know the packs do not seem to sell on PS store, though you never have a problem finding a game), and the design is completely hamstrung by being based on PS3 even if they are making a PS4 port.

Zia

Wow, that's really disappointing. This was going to be my jam. Guess I'll resub to EVE or WoW...

Dust 514 prolly has the worst gunplay of any FPS game I've ever played before. EVER.

Didn't keep up with this as I don't play MMO'S but was this supposed to be based on Old or New World of Darkness (or its own thing)?

Lynq

Banned
Is that even a surprise? Eight years in development and we haven't even seen any gameplay from early alpha or some screens.

Too bad.

I'd like Vampire: The Masquerade sequel more than an MMO tbh.

Wereroku

Yeah this was in development hell for a long time not surprised. Probably wouldn't have lived up to the pitch anyway. Hey maybe we will get a WOD moba there are enough classes for it to work.

Lucifon

Holy damn. That sucks, I'd been looking forward to that for years.

Me too. Love the WoD universe, and whilst I don't like EVE I appreciate what they've done with that game and had every faith in that team in creating something really cool.

Also, hooray for my first proper gaming OP on GAF...but I didn't want it to be for news like this.

not-like-this.gif

Top Bottom