• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

Axiom

I know absolutely nothing about the WoD universe beyond Bloodlines, but I fucking love Bloodlines and would be very down for an MMO set in its universe.

It makes no sense to make one these days though. Shame, but with how ESO was built as a third-person MMO, I'd vastly lowered my expectations of what an MMO Bloodlines type game might be.

yuraya

:( So disappointed. I remember reading somewhere about the ideas they had with the game. Some of which included funny things like as a vampire you could use mind control on human beings (NPC's) and enslave them to do things for you. Its a real shame they couldn't pull through with it. Would have been great. Someone else really does need to make a vampire mmo..or even a single player rpg thats vampire themed.

Zen

Banned
Dust 514 prolly has the worst gunplay of any FPS game I've ever played before. EVER.

They have actually made it good now, after thoroughly squandering 99% of their potential player base. Really the way the game is now should have been how it launched.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Not wholly surprised, given the protracted and labored development and sparse details, but it's still a sad announcement. CCP is talented and I would have liked to see efforts outside of the Eve Universe.

World of ______ MMO

for starters I think they could have tried a little harder coming up with the title

The term World of Darkness is about a decade old.
It's the joining of the White Wolf pen and paper RPG universes.

Lucifon

World of ______ MMO

for starters I think they could have tried a little harder coming up with the title

I don't believe that's the final name of the game. World of Darkness is the universe it was set in. I imagine they'd at least give it a subtitle or maybe even something completely different.

Uzzy

That really sucks for the people who were employed there, and I do hope they find more work elsewhere quickly.

Hopefully though we can see some smaller scale RPGs based in the World of Darkness though. Something like Shadowrun: Returns scale, perhaps? Would be a lot easier to put out.

kurahador

Man...this is sad. First that W40K mmo, now this.

Just play The Secret World guys.
It's the closest thing we can get to this game.

SparkTR

No surprise considering what kind of clusterfuck the development has been (both rumored and public). Their Dust 514 failure probably meant they couldn't keep funding this moneysink.

It's even more annoying if you consider the rumor that Obsidian were going to develop a WoD RPG before CCP claimed the rights. We missed out on potentially Vampire The Masqurade 2 for this shit show.

Azih

Like The Old Republic and The Secret World I think World of Darkness setting games would be just better off as single player experiences rather than MMOs.

License that shit to Obsidian to make a new Bloodlines and make some of your money back CCP. My god. Brian Mitsoda should be available when Dead State wraps up. Run a damn kickstarter. I don't care. Bloodlines is one of those nostalgia RPGs that make a grand splash in Kickstarter anyway. I'd back it.

Vlodril

Saw that coming.. still would have to NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. godamnit ccp, it sounded so good too. i hope they give the licence to someone to make a good rpg (obsidian please?).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Like The Old Republic and The Secret World I think World of Darkness setting games would be just better off as single player experiences rather than MMOs.

License that shit to Obsidian to make a new Bloodlines and make some of your money back CCP. My god. Brian Mitsoda should be available when Dead State wraps up. Run a damn kickstarter. I don't care. Bloodlines is one of those nostalgia RPGs that make a grand splash in Kickstarter anyway. I'd back it.

World of Darkness's cutthroat political intrigue that flows right through the heart of Vampire is probably what attracted them to it. I cant think of many better settings to impliment EVE's brand of sociopathic espionage, politics and control games.

Azih

Would love to hear some post mortems from CCP Altanta though. Feels like total development hell. People must have been going through "You have made a powerful enemy today sign" level of craziness at the number of redesigns the thing probably went through.

Acosta

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

At some point it was my most anticipated game, I dreamed of the kind of possibilities a sandbox based on World of Darkness could offer.

This sucks, best wishes for the people involved.

Old WoD (Masquerade), iirc.

Old World of Darkness IIRC. A shame it's cancelled.

Thanks. Personally I'm more of a fan of New World of Darkness as I'm of the age where NWOD had come out when I had started college and reading up on Old World I prefer the New World lore. I hope to be able to run a LARP based on it in the future.

I know a lot of people, especially with Masquerade, who preferred Old World. My friend who was older was pretty in to it as she had been in an Old World LARP. The PC game probably helped a lot as well in that regard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thanks. Personally I'm more of a fan of New World of Darkness as I'm of the age where NWOD had come out when I had started college and reading up on Old World I prefer the New World lore. I hope to be able to run a LARP based on it in the future.

I know a lot of people, especially with Masquerade, who preferred Old World. My friend who was older was pretty in to it as she had been in an Old World LARP. The PC game probably helped a lot as well in that regard.

I'm surprised anyone would prefer New Werewolf and especially New Mage. The Old version are just so conceptually interesting. Vampire is pretty similar at the core.

MMOs on the decline comfirmed. Adventure gamers know the sting of decline.

WoW on life-support, losing subs gradually.

ESO releasing to little fanfare.

The only sequels are in the Everquest line. I am still surprised that they are going ahead with Everquest Next.

CCP apparently cant make anything now beyond EVE: Online and that was ages ago. Oh wait, there was that DUST FPS game that I never hear anyone talk about ever.

UO never had a sequel and they tried, what 2-3 times?

Most of these titles are free2play anyway, which is essentially like giving up.

Pyronite

MMOs have an incredible amount of potential that people are afraid to scratch the surface of.

I hate that when some people think "MMO" they think of a genre that deserves to die.

Arksy

Idiots, they should've gone to kickstarter. I would sent them money, and I'm guessing the gaming community would've funded it to completion.

I'm not angry and sad, much.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Wasn't this already cancelled and uncancelled twice?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
They have actually made it good now, after thoroughly squandering 99% of their potential player base. Really the way the game is now should have been how it launched.

Welcome to CCP.

This sucks, I was actually interested in this game.

Better universe than EVE and the potential for non space spreadsheet gameplay with the other good EVE mechanics/design would have been ace.

Dammit.

Sucks. This is pretty much the last vestiges of the original White Wolf getting shredded. Condolences to everyone. :(

I was always curious on why this studio was based in Atlanta. Was it an old developer that CCP acquired? As far as I can tell, it was the only game studio in Atlanta...

Atlanta is where White Wolf, the tabletop gaming company CCP bought, was.

And if CCP won't do it, I doubt anyone else can.

Nobody else can do it by default because CCP owns the IP.

I'd take that over Dust. I still have nightmares about how horrible that game was. They somehow managed to "capture" what made EVE online combat suck and transplant it into FPS form. It takes some hard work to make your FPS mechanics feel like space spreadsheets, let me tell you. Reticules everywhere are how you start.

Edit: I didn't even think about this being White Wolf. Well, that's horrendous. I don't see those guys being a great fit for devs in EVE. Yup the IP is pretty much dead for a long while I'm guessing.

Top Bottom