• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

I'm surprised anyone would prefer New Werewolf and especially New Mage. The Old version are just so conceptually interesting. Vampire is pretty similar at the core.

Different strokes. Wasn't really referring to werewolfs. One of the biggest reasons I like New World are normal humans becoming much more feasible to play. I prefer it when humans can actually have some (if only small) actual effect in the supernatural world and fight against supernatural beings. It's why I don't like vampire fiction in general.

Lomax

Wonder how long before CCP sells off the World of Darkness property entirely then, can't see much point in them owning it now. Shame development on this didn't start just a bit earlier before the MMO crash, probably would have at least seen a release.

I was always curious on why this studio was based in Atlanta. Was it an old developer that CCP acquired? As far as I can tell, it was the only game studio in Atlanta...

White Wolf (makers of the WoD tabletop games) was based in Stone Mountain, a suburb of Atlanta, and they were bought out by CCP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
they've been pouring money into this project for how long now?

Basically.

Same with Dust 514: They've pouring money into a sub-par shooter to try to expand their studio for how long now?

It seems like CCP's only chance of surviving is to support Eve Online (and this means not having a sub-par shooter as an albatross around their neck, either) forever.

Granadier said:
EVE Online MOBA incoming.

With how half-assed Dust is, excuse me if I don't hold my breath on that taking off.

Ikuu said:
Haha, people lost their jobs.

Not so much laughing at the people losing their jobs, that sucks... of course. But more laughing at the fact that CCP had these grand expansion plans, wastes about... 4-6 years on a shooter for consoles that can't even match indie titles in terms of being fun, and wasted nearly... what... close to 6-8 years on another MMO that they didn't even launch.

Meanwhile they are having growing pains with the engine and gameplay of massive space battles in Eve. It seems like the studio simply can't expand and trying to is foolish and laughable.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Different strokes. Wasn't really referring to werewolfs. One of the biggest reasons I like New World are normal humans becoming much more feasible to play. I prefer it when humans can actually have some (if only small) actual effect in the supernatural world and fight against supernatural beings. It's why I don't like vampire fiction in general.

Well thats no suprise. Hunter the Vigil has a strong claim to being the best game they have ever done.

Wiktor

CCP is looking more and more like a one trick pony, unable to suceed at anything but EVE. I hope at least Valkyrie will be fine.

Good thing that at least PnP properties are licensed to Onyx

Arksy

I give them two thumbs up for trying at least. No one really wants to make MMO Sandboxes except SoE these days.

Super disappointing...

especially considering just the other day I was speaking with an Ex CCP producer who last he had heard said the project was still moving forward...

ImpendingFoil

Neo Member
This always seemed like a property that CCP thought sounded cool but really never gave a damn about. They let the PnP game go to the wayside until they licensed it out and outside of the initial announcement that never really talked much about the MMO. Now they can find ways to put their awesome spreadsheet mentality into their most accessible looking game, Valkyrie, and make that boring as all hell.

Cant say i didnt see this coming. Still freaking sucks. Who knows how it would of turned out, though i was still really excited about it. So much man power wasted on trying to make Dust 514 work.

Dear Bethesda, please acquire this IP.

Kimawolf

Blame EVE for this. When CCP began diverting development money/ time to this the EVE fanbsse screamed bloody murder so loud CCP issued a public apology.

They should just change the name from CCP to EVE. And be done pretending to be anything else.

Super sad.

Well MMOs are fucking boring and repetitive themepark rides at the moment. They cant go on with this formula forever. No wonder fewer people are interested in them.

Chorazin

It's a damn shame, but I think we all saw the writing on this wall. Hopefully everyone involved gets a sweet gig somewhere else.

Personally, I'm just glad I won't have to break the promise I made to myself to never play an MMO again because of how much I love the oWoD.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Well MMOs are fucking boring and repetitive themepark rides at the moment. They cant go on with this formula forever. No wonder fewer people are interested in them.

image.php

Wiktor

Sure, it they copy WoW then they are just that - themeparks.. But EVE is sandbox and WoD was also supposed to. Sandbox MMOs as a whole seem to be experiencing ressurgence lately. They're still niche, but that niche might be enough to allow couple games to exist in good health

Veteran EVE player here.

When this was first announced, it came along with the promise of shared tech between EVE and WoD. The "walking in stations" stuff for EVE basically fizzled, mostly because nobody who plays the game was interested in content like that -- we came for the spaceships stuff, not to play space Barbie and Ken.

So when that stuff came and went everyone figured WoD's days were numbered, especially since CCP was totally and completely silent about how WoD was doing for a looooong time. I mean well beyond the production period you normally expect devs to go quiet for.

DUST being on a waning platform isn't helping it any, if CCP ported that to the PC and opened up the mercenary contract taps to the full universe, they'd have a decent number of interested EVE players. We'll see what they announce at Fanfest though.

Anyway, here's to hoping the devs involved land on their feet and find new employment soon.

Kuldar

I was always curious on why this studio was based in Atlanta. Was it an old developer that CCP acquired? As far as I can tell, it was the only game studio in Atlanta...
CCP Games bought White Wolf, Inc. and White Wolf, Inc had offices in Altanta.

Dyno

It's really too bad because that universe had some amazing factions and societies.

I played a fair bit of White Wolf games and I always thought their ruleset was very good, simple and yet flexible enough for many different situations. We played mostly Vampire and Mage but I bought the other books because I loved reading them.

It was a dream to make a mega-campaign with Vampires, Mages, Werewolves, Faeries, Mummies, and any other source book they made. This stuff would have been just great in an open world game.

I wonder what the difficulties were?

Aretak

Huh. Somebody on /v/ was leaking screenshots of it earlier today, before this was publically announced. I guess this explains why they weren't worried about any NDA.

Shame, as it looked pretty cool.

Gryph

Woof that's rough news.

The world building of the WOD stuff is pretty neat and there are a lot of good game concepts that could be spun from it... But to have it languish in dev hell for so long and then get canned after White Wolf made it out to be the next big leap for WOD is sad.

I hope this isn't the death knell for the IP, but it looks like it might be...

People thinking Dust is a bust are mistaken. Dust 514 has actually been profitable for CCP and they are still really dedicated to it. Part of CCP Atlanta is actually now helping with Dust 514 apparently as well. Sure the beta and early launch was pretty rough but they've been doing regular updates nearly every month and it has came a long, long ways. They also have a really big expansion planned for Dust 514 that they will be announcing in two-and-a-half weeks at FanFest. Dust 514 is a pretty damn good shooter now IMO.

Still, I'm upset that WOD got cancelled. Not even a fan of the source material or vampires in general, but seeing as how EVE is one of the only true sandbox MMO's out there I was really interested to see what CCP could pull off.

And it will probably not sell very much, to be honest.

They have been making stupid decisions outside of EVE. The second it turned out that they could not get DUST on 360 as well, they should have retooled and planned it for a PS4/Xbox ONE (if able)/PC release. Not many people seemingly play Dust (I know the packs do not seem to sell on PS store, though you never have a problem finding a game), and the design is completely hamstrung by being based on PS3 even if they are making a PS4 port.
Dust 514 was never going to be 360/PS3, and the reason behind that is because they pride the New Eden universe as a single shard universe, and there is no way Microsoft and Sony would play nice with each other and let cross-play with each other exist. So there could only be one, and if they ever do a PC version then Sony already has a history of cross-play there.

And as someone who has been playing Dust for awhile, the packs they sell on the store are pretty garbage and I wouldn't recommend any of them. Most people who buy into the game do so with Aurum from the game client.

pulsemyne

People thinking Dust is a bust are mistaken. Dust 514 has actually been profitable for CCP and they are still really dedicated to it. Part of CCP Atlanta is actually now helping with Dust 514 apparently as well. Sure the beta and early launch was pretty rough but they've been doing regular updates nearly every month and it has came a long, long ways. They also have a really big expansion planned for Dust 514 that they will be announcing in two-and-a-half weeks at FanFest. Dust 514 is a pretty damn good shooter now IMO.

Still, I'm upset that WOD got cancelled. Not even a fan of the source material or vampires in general, but seeing as how EVE is one of the only true sandbox MMO's out there I was really interested to see what CCP could pull off.

Trouble is noone in EVE gives a shit about Dust. If it had been on PC then they may have done. As it is, none of the major alliances can be bothered. Mind you eve is very, very boring since the almighty battle at the end of the Halloween war.

Trouble is noone in EVE gives a shit about Dust. If it had been on PC then they may have done. As it is, none of the major alliances can be bothered. Mind you eve is very, very boring since the almighty battle at the end of the Halloween war.

Maybe the guys who play in null sec don't really care about Dust in how in relates to their gaming experience, because Dust doesn't really affect anything in null sec at all. But a lot of the EVE player base are interested in Dust (if they're not playing it already). Of course, then you have the other portion of the player base who wishes WOD would of got cancelled a long time ago and that CCP never even started Dust or Valkyrie.

KKRT00

Yeah, locking this game on PS3 was worst decision ever. I hope they push it into all of the platforms and still decide to make new MMO in different settings with another team.

We need more MMOs from devs like CCP, not less.

Yeah, locking this game on PS3 was worst decision ever. I hope they push it into all of the platforms and still decide to make new MMO in different settings with another team.

We need more MMOs from devs like CCP, not less.

The game isn't locked on the PS3 at all and CCP has stated many times that they plan on taking Dust 514 past the PS3, as in it would either get moved to PS4 or PC (or both) and continue in development and everyone's account would transfer over. An Xbox One version though is about as unlikely as things get.

CCP has come out and stated their interest with Gaikai on PS4, so my personal opinion is there will be a transition period where the game is available on both PS3 and PS4 and then they cut the PS3 version off.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It should have never focused on only PS3 in the first place. It should have been PC at least, where they can actually leverage their fanbase.

KKRT00

The game isn't locked on the PS3 at all and CCP has stated many times that they plan on taking Dust 514 past the PS3, as in it would either get moved to PS4 or PC (or both) and continue in development and everyone's account would transfer over. An Xbox One version though is about as unlikely as things get.

CCP has come out and stated their interest with Gaikai on PS4, so my personal opinion is there will be a transition period where the game is available on both PS3 and PS4 and then they cut the PS3 version off.

I know, but it should already happen, like at least year ago.
Seriously Dust is so limited by PS3, its not even funny. Their tech presentation was quite awesome from last year fanfest, but it also showed how much effort they needed to even run it on the PS3.

Game should aim at bigger battles with around 150-200 people and it would be glorious.

-------

This is not helping me at all ;\

Mugaaz

Having cool classes, setting, factions, world, and lore is all well and good, but you need a game too. Vampires grinding xp killing snakes just doesnt make sense and this is kind of where MMOs are still at.

I know, but it should already happen, like at least year ago.
Seriously Dust is so limited by PS3, its not even funny. Their tech presentation was quite awesome from last year fanfest, but it also showed how much effort they needed to even run it on the PS3.

Game should aim at bigger battles with around 150-200 people and it would be glorious.

I'd like bigger battles but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. In my opinion what Dust needs to do is instead of striving for the massive battles, they should strive to make the battles they have actually mean something in the MMO sandbox. So pretty much the opposite of how PlanetSide 2 works, where the battles are massive but don't mean anything.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Wasn't really anticipating this but old WoD is probably my favorite fictional setting of all time. I used to have tonnes and tonnes of books from all the different lines (Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Wraith: The Oblivion, Changeling: The Dreaming, Mummy, Hunter, Orpheus....)

The setting brings me back to so many memories of the 90's. It was part and parcel when the Goth movement was becoming more popular and yet still sticking to its older roots.

Shame that the MMO was cancelled but was still surprised they were going with the oWoD anyhow. Only us "older" folks would have known anything about it.

Tacitus_

Having cool classes, setting, factions, world, and lore is all well and good, but you need a game too. Vampires grinding xp killing snakes just doesnt make sense and this is kind of where MMOs are still at.

It would've been a sandbox MMO, with player controlled everything, including player elected Princes controlling perma-death for other players. I would've signed on just for the political intrigue.

This is the way the world (of Darkness) ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Well, better than being consumed by Antediluvians at least.

Mugaaz

It would've been a sandbox MMO, with player controlled everything, including player elected Princes controlling perma-death for other players. I would've signed on just for the political intrigue.

Sandbox MMO means nothing IMO. What are people "doing". Like when I log in, what are my non-political game systems? What am I killing, what tradeskills am I working on, what reps am I grinding, what resources am I collecting, etc? All this stuff seems super wonky in a WoD MMO. Political metagame holds this stuff together and gives them a "point", but it doesn't matter if they are all poopy.

KKRT00

I'd like bigger battles but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. In my opinion what Dust needs to do is instead of striving for the massive battles, they should strive to make the battles they have actually mean something in the MMO sandbox. So pretty much the opposite of how PlanetSide 2 works, where the battles are massive but don't mean anything.

Sure, but they could just cut engagement into parts on the planet, so they wouldnt have 100 vs 100 fight etc and then just make whole fight progression meaningful just by tracking win data and updating it in EVE database backend. Add whole metagame from planetary wins and taking parts of the planets and its resources.

There is tons of things they can do to expand Dust and they will, i just think PS3 is limiting game not only technically, but in terms of userbase too.
I think they will expand it drastically in year or two and integrate it into EVE, it would be the most logical way of using that IP.

Top Bottom