• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II war criminal emerges in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is disgusting. Defenders for SS fugitives? Dismissing the slaughter of countless people because of time? Stating that heinous crimes under orders are acceptable?

This is yet another reason why it's a good thing I'm not a mod. Because I would ban every single one of you dumbasses.

Loxley

"Find this guy and lynch him!" says the crowd of Americans caring about a war's atrocities that went on about 70 years ago while letting their own army decimate people everyday in foreign countries.

You gotta admire this nation's capacity for self-delusion. Seriously, there's barely anyone alive who suffered through World War 2, isn't it time to focus on humanity's current atrocities instead of dwelling on memories?

Yep, what America's military is doing today is the mirror image of Nazi Germany's actions in 1939 up through 1945. We are such hypocrites.

Fuck right the hell off.

Germany has been finding and trying ex-Nazis who went into hiding ever since the war ended. Go and tell the German government they've been overreacting and that they should just let these bastards go because they're old. They're fucking monsters and a disgrace to mankind.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My god I would get banned if I told some of you what I think of you.

I grew up in a country and a time where old men were rare, and almost every building was fronted by tiny smooth metal squares - the scars where the iron railings had been shorn off to be melted down for munitions.

jtb

Banned
My god I would get banned if I told some of you what I think of you.

I grew up in a country and a time where old men were rare, and almost every building was fronted by tiny smooth metal squares - the scars where the iron railings had been shorn off to be melted down for munitions.

It's not a generational thing. just shitty logic.

diamount

Banned
This thread is disgusting. Defenders for SS fugitives? Dismissing the slaughter of countless people because of time? Stating that heinous crimes under orders are acceptable?

This is yet another reason why it's a good thing I'm not a mod. Because I would ban every single one of you dumbasses.

It's hypocritical to be crying for blood when your TAXEs go to support similar murderers.

Vaco6121

Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done.

What would that justice be? Death, prison, or something else? Punishment should of taken away his opportunity to live his life, but at 94 years old he got to live a full life. That is not to say he should get a slap on the wrist for what he did. I just don't see what punishment he can get to make a difference. Death and prison won't take away the life he already had.

I can't believe that people are actually arguing that 'it's okay, because he was just following orders'.

Seriously, that is legitimately disgusting. This guy deserves to be punished; it doesn't matter how long ago what he did was. The idea of people leaping to the defense of an SS war criminal is just insane. Who fucking cares how long it has been?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What the fuck

Apparently as long as you can dodge the authorities for long enough, you can get away with any crime.

I do not understand this thread at all

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
It's hypocritical to be crying for blood when your TAXEs go to support similar murderers.

Last time I checked no one was opposing Robert Bales be brought to justice.

What is your point? Do you even have one or do you just want to whine?

diamount

Banned
CHEEZMO™;64091311 said:
Last time I checked no one was opposing Robert Bales be brought to justice.

What is your point? Do you even have one or do you just want to whine?

No he wasn't, not to the extent some people are advocating here.

No kidding. People say that and the first thought is "Well, not for everything, right?"

But here we are. Nazi War Criminal Defense Force.

NO ONE is defending what he did, Jesus fucking CHRIST.

We're just like what possible justice CAN be done that's MEANINGFUL.

He's in his goddamn NINETIES for fucks sake! I mean really? Throw him in jail? Okay, fine, he's had over 60+ years of getting away with it. Execute him? lol, like he'd fucking care.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
There should be absolutely no statute of limitations on partaking in genocide. It's humanity at its utmost worst. He shouldn't be able to escape justice once just because he was lucky enough to hide for so long.

jtb

Banned

He's in his goddamn NINETIES for fucks sake! I mean really? Throw him in jail? Okay, fine, he's had over 60+ years of getting away with it. Execute him? lol, like he'd fucking care.

how is saying "war crimes = bad" NOT meaningful?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

his trial and punishment will be meaningful. Justice being carried out properly will be meaningful. The rule of law is meaningful. Remembrance and accountability are meaningful. Telling him we know he was guilty will be meaningful.

So what, nobody should ever be tried for war crimes?! All the clowns who support all the bullshit America does abroad don't even know what the fuck is going on, they just follow whatever shit they're fed on their media of choice.

What the fuck edgy shit are you babbling about.

Trey

No statute of limitations. Put him on trial for what he's done as if it was committed yesterday.

Even for you "practical" folks, there's no way they can just let him walk because he evaded retribution for half a century.

LordCanti

there should be an action flick about 90 year old ww2 vets hunting each other down

"I Know What You Did Seventy Summers Ago"

Old people don't want to continue living? Seriously?

Hazmat

I can't believe that some people think that people in their 90's shouldn't be held accountable for their crimes because they're close to death anyway.

Really fucked up.

Bombadil

Banned

Get off your high horse, hypocrite.

The amount of people we let idly suffer and die for our personal convenience would make us all criminals.

You all want to punish a geriatric to make yourselves feel noble and victorious.

And who will pay for this ceremonial punishment? We will. We will pay to deport him. We will pay for his prison quarters, his daily meals, his laundered clothes. He will not pay for anything.

This is an insubstantial action that doesn't better the world.

Didn't the Geneva Convention exist back then? Not sure if that's an excuse to murder.

Nope. The fourth Geneva Convention which deals with the treatment of civilians was ratified in 1949 and was applied retroactively to war criminals of WWII. Although I'm certainly in agreement with the Geneva Conventions, I have a hard time accepting the retroactive application of laws in general.

Edit: Similarly, the Nuremberg Charter/London Charter which ruled that superior orders was not an excuse was was issued in 1945, after the crimes had already been committed.

Yep, what America's military is doing today is the mirror image of Nazi Germany's actions in 1939 up through 1945. We are such hypocrites.

Fuck right the hell off.

Germany has been finding and trying ex-Nazis who went into hiding ever since the war ended. Go and tell the German government they've been overreacting and that they should just let these bastards go because they're old. They're fucking monsters and a disgrace to mankind.
Evidently, the current wars cannot be compared to Nazi Germany. They're being waged in way more subtle, media-manipulative ways because humanity can't bear full-on genocidal acts. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people are ok with the new ways we invade civilizations and cultures.

All I'm saying is that this guy's execution brings only false catharsis, not new solutions.

Skeyser

War crime tribunals always were and always have been a joke. Let him be. What's done is done.

why even bother with prisons, am I right

KuGsj.gif

jtb

Banned

The amount of people we let idly suffer and die for our personal convenience would make us all criminals.

You all want to punish a geriatric to make yourselves feel noble and victorious.

And who will pay for this ceremonial punishment? We will. We will pay to deport him. We will pay for his prison quarters, his daily meals, his laundered clothes. He will not pay for anything.

I haven't killed a single person so, before you go down this idiotic, nonsensical path, just stop.

And hunting down murderers and rapists and going on giant manhunts for people like the Boston Bomber was hugely expensive too, the whole fucking concept of criminal justice is expensive—so what? they're going to be brought to justice because they committed a crime.

Justice isn't about "bettering the world" by your arbitrary standards of "good." Justice is not a measurement of cost vs. benefit. Justice is not a narcissistic exercise of asking the criminal how they felt about it—and determining their punishment around that. It's about bringing each their due. It's as much about the criminal as it is the society to which they owe a debt. And this man is due a trial, and, presumably after that, punishment.

Duji

So the whole idea of imprisonment/punishment is a complete waste of time then. Thanks for invaluable the insight.

Putting him in prison is still meaningful even if he'd only wind up being there for five to ten years before death.

Plus, the justice system is (in theory) about more than just punishing criminals. It's also about setting an example and providing closure for people who were effected by the criminals actions. Do you want to set an example that war crimes are okay as long as you stay hidden for the next 60 years?

diamount

Banned
So what, nobody should ever be tried for war crimes?! All the clowns who support all the bullshit America does abroad don't even know what the fuck is going on, they just follow whatever shit they're fed on their media of choice.

What the fuck edgy shit are you babbling about.

Didn't say he shouldn't be tried but it's laughable hypocritical when those who support their governments 'allies' in africa and the middle east, who have brutal dictatorships. But no, they are left in power to continue their regime or deposed when it suits their interests. So if you want this guy dead, protest outside of Washington wishing the same for those others supported by the government.

For me it's pretty hard to draw a line where defense '' I did it because I was ordered'' is legitimate or not. As this guy seemed to be pretty big shot he definitely should go to trial for what he did but for normal SS men I think it is pretty legitimate defense. It was basically: follow the orders or to be shot in a head for a treason. 99% of people would choose the former so I really don't think they have moral backgrounds to judge these men. There is enough punishment for those guys to live rest of their days knowing what they did. I guess this was pretty pointless rant though as this is what german goverment has been doing all these years (looking for big shots and leaving alone the rest).

Shit like this nearly makes me cut myself
on all this edginess.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Didn't say he shouldn't be tried but it's laughable hypocritical when those who support their governments 'allies' in africa and the middle east, who have brutal dictatorships. But no, they are left in power to continue their regime or deposed when it suits their interests. So if you want this guy dead, protest outside of Washington wishing the same for those others supported by the government.

"Nazi war criminals shoudn't be brought to justice until we lobby to bring every bad person in the world to justice too."

Get out with your "wahhh american foreign policy wahh" liberal wank.

cashman

Banned
CHEEZMO™;64093481 said:
So because he managed to get away with heinous crimes for 70 years means he should continue to?

Well when you put it that away, a 6 month prison stay sounds like a fair punishment to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom