• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II war criminal emerges in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamount

Banned
CHEEZMO™;64094141 said:
"Nazi war criminals shoudn't be brought to justice until we lobby to bring every bad person in the world to justice too."

Get out with your "wahhh american foreign policy wahh" liberal wank.

As I said, try people when it suits their interests.

JambiBum

This thread makes me feel like doing this.

tumblr_llgy75rmRL1qgepgfo1_500.gif

woodchuck

However, in a Ukrainian-language memoir published in 1995, Karkoc states that he helped found the Ukrainian Self Defense Legion in 1943 in collaboration with the Nazis' feared SS intelligence agency, the SD, to fight on the side of Germany — and served as a company commander in the unit, which received orders directly from the SS, through the end of the war.
It was not clear why Karkoc felt safe publishing his memoir, which is available at the U.S. Library of Congress and the British Library and which the AP located online in an electronic Ukrainian library.
Karkoc's name surfaced when a retired clinical pharmacologist who took up Nazi war crimes research in his free time came across it while looking into members of the SS Galician Division who emigrated to Britain. He tipped off AP when an Internet search showed an address for Karkoc in Minnesota.

what a dumbass

I get that the guy was involved in some fucked up shit, but the guy is too old to be a risk to anyone and as far as I know hasn't done anything malicious in sixty years. Maybe put him in jail or something, but I'm more curious to see if we can learn anything from the guy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Eh, he's old, so all that genociding he did back in his younger, more impressionable years (I mean, who really knows the consequences of their actions at 30 years old?) should be ignored.

Hakuna matata, I always say!

Get off your high horse, hypocrite.

The amount of people we let idly suffer and die for our personal convenience would make us all criminals.

You all want to punish a geriatric to make yourselves feel noble and victorious.

And who will pay for this ceremonial punishment? We will. We will pay to deport him. We will pay for his prison quarters, his daily meals, his laundered clothes. He will not pay for anything.

This is an insubstantial action that doesn't better the world.

Come on, Bombadil. You're not this dumb.

antonz

If It can be proven that he committed war crimes then deport him. That said Wartime Records indicate he had no part in war crimes and we know how well the Nazis kept records. So until there is proof he committed them he should be left alone and under guard so Israel doesn't come in the night and kidnap him.

Bombadil

Banned
My god I would get banned if I told some of you what I think of you.

I grew up in a country and a time where old men were rare, and almost every building was fronted by tiny smooth metal squares - the scars where the iron railings had been shorn off to be melted down for munitions.

Faux outrage on the internet doesn't make you a more moral person than anyone else. No one said what he did was okay.

Just acknowledge that whatever "justice" is exacted on this person is really just a hollow gesture.

My grandparents survived the Armenian Genocide and spent the rest of their lives witnessing the indifference of the rest of the world. The President of the country I live in today shakes hands with the leader of the country that did this:

Here he is:

That very country's government disseminates material denying the genocide.

You're a game developer who works in a country that is founded on land violently wrested away from its natives.

How much thought do you give to these facts? Should we give the land back to the Native Americans? Should we give Ararat back to the Armenians?

What justice is there for them? But when some singular incident arises on the internet, some pathetic little man who evaded justice for 70 years is found, and you guys trumpet your morality.

It's all bullshit.

stephen08

I'm with the pro justice side on this one. The fact he managed to dodge it for this long does not let him off the hook or grant him immunity. Practical or not, it is what needs to be done.

Loxley

I get that the guy was involved in some fucked up shit, but the guy is too old to be a risk to anyone and as far as I know hasn't done anything malicious in sixty years. Maybe put him in jail or something, but I'm more curious to see if we can learn anything from the guy.

Let's say we found out who the Zodiac killer was tomorrow. Not only who he was but that he was still alive and we have his exact address. Do you think he shouldn't be receive the biggest punishment possible just because he hasn't killed anyone in 40 years? How do you think the relatives of his victims would react?

WanderingWind

By that logic, Bombadil, there is literally no point to any judicial proceedings.

...and what the holy hell does two politicians meeting have to do with anything? You're sort of losing it.

Again.

jtb

Banned
this isn't even about morality, this is about justice. so the ridiculously tired "oh morality doesn't exist!!!1" isn't even applicable in this case.

By that logic, Bombadil, there is literally no point to any judicial proceedings.

...and what the holy hell does two politicians meeting have to do with anything? You're sort of losing it.

Again.

But you understand why he's losing his shit, though, right? As one-sided as he seems, he has a point.

Faux outrage on the internet doesn't make you a more moral person than anyone else. No one said what he did was okay.

Just acknowledge that whatever "justice" is exacted on this person is really just a hollow gesture.

Was the trial of Adolf Eichmann a hollow gesture? Are you telling me that nothing came out of it? Justice is apparently a hollow gesture? Justice for countless murdered.

Don't take this the wrong way - because I would hate for you to think I'm being blasé when I tell you that you're a fucking idiot.

SolKane

My grandparents survived the Armenian Genocide and spent the rest of their lives witnessing the indifference of the rest of the world. The President of the country I live in today shakes hands with the leader of the country that did this:

You're a game developer who works in a country that is founded on land violently wrested away from its natives.

How much thought do you give to these facts? Should we give the land back to the Native Americans? Should we give Ararat back to the Armenians?

What justice is there for them? But when some singular incident arises on the internet, some pathetic little man who evaded justice for 70 years is found, and you guys trumpet your morality.

It's all bullshit.

So if it came to light there were a participant of the Armenian genocide still living in Minnesota, would you feel the same way - that it would be pointless to follow any legal pursuit against this person?

WanderingWind

But you understand why he's losing his shit, though, right? As one-sided as he seems, he has a point.

No. No, he does not have a point.

Bad things happen to people. We cannot stop all bad things, nor can we hold everybody who has done bad things accountable. But when we catch a person who has unequivocally engaged in genocide, we should hold that person accountable. We will not get every person who has murdered a lot of people to face consequences, but that does not logically follow that we will never do so.

Bombadil

Banned

Again.

Taking away a criminal's future is a form of justice. This man has no future. He will die soon. Thus, it will be a hollow victory.

It's like if you sued me for everything I had in my bank account. It sounds dramatic, but I only have a few dollars in my bank account. Do you understand what I'm saying?

That's why it's an empty gesture.

Vaco6121

Was the trial of Adolf Eichmann a hollow gesture? Are you telling me that nothing came out of it? Justice is apparently a hollow gesture? Justice for countless murdered.

Don't take this the wrong way - because I would hate for you to think I'm being blasé when I tell you that you're a fucking idiot.

That was in 1961. That was not hollow because he was put to death when he was 56, he still had comparing to this guy about 40 more years that he could of lived. He didn't get to live the rest of his life. This guy did get to live his full life. What justice do you recommend for him now? Spending at the most 10 years in prison is not justice to me for what he did. Putting him to death is also not justice to me because he lived free for over 70 years that he should not of have.

WanderingWind

Taking away a criminal's future is a form of justice. This man has no future. He will die soon. Thus, it will be a hollow victory.

It's like if you sued me for everything I had in my bank account. It sounds dramatic, but I only have a few dollars in my bank account. Do you understand what I'm saying?

We are all dying. Thus, by your logic, none of us can face the consequences of our actions. What is the amount of time left on a persons clock to exempt them from genocide and other war crimes, in your estimation?

What if he lives to be 110? He's already lived far beyond the average, so it's not out of the question. Is is still wrong to hold him accountable then?

Duji

So if it came to light there were a participant of the Armenian genocide still living in Minnesota, would you feel the same way - that it would be pointless to follow any legal pursuit against this person?

Answer this question, Bombadil.

Bombadil

Banned
We are all dying. Thus, by your logic, none of us can face the consequences of our actions. What is the amount of time left on a persons clock to exempt them from genocide and other war crimes, in your estimation?

What if he lives to be 110? He's already lived far beyond the average, so it's not out of the question. Is is still wrong to hold him accountable then?

That's not at all like what I'm saying.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Here he is:

It's all bullshit.

Faux?

FUCK OFF.

You said something stupid. Fucking own it and stop changing the subject.

FUCK.

And edit your picture, idiot.

That was in 1961. That was not hollow because he was put to death when he was 56, he still had comparing to this guy about 40 more years that he could of lived. He didn't get to live the rest of his life. This guy did get to live his full life. What justice do you recommend for him now? Spending at the most 10 years in prison is not justice to me for what he did. Putting him to death is also not justice to me because he lived free for over 70 years that he should not of have.

The biggest thing to come out of Eichmann's trial was having the atrocities under his hand brought to light when people had already started downplaying the goings-on of what happened in Europe. Like Stinkles said earlier, it's very much tied into the idea of never forgetting those atrocities - precisely so they're never allowed to happen again. And it was a big fucking wake up call.

Now - yet again, we have people downplaying the importance of condemning these crimes. We have people arguing the fucking Nuremberg defense in this thread. And now we have people saying that bringing the man and his crimes to justice won't mean anything?

Despite no clear evidence showing that he directly partook in mass slaughter, German authorities may still have enough to prove Karkoc commanded those beneath him to carry out the unthinkable acts.

Ok.....

I'm surprised nobody has asked for the atomic bomb droppers, as well as those who commanded it, to be hauled in front of the courts yet.

They should be, but that's not the discussion at hand. Just because not everyone is being brought to justice doesn't mean that no one should be when it is possible.

So, if we assume that he'll die tomorrow, it'll be pointless. What if he lives for another 10 years? Will it still be pointless?

The idea that the elderly cannot be held responsible for their actions under any circumstances is dreadfully ageist, even ignoring the vast scope of the rest of the bullshit you've been spouting.

He should be let go.

He should be killed.

What about he should be tried in a court, and if evidence backs up the allegation he should be put in prison since the death penalty isn't something civilized countries do anymore?

Helmholtz

It's a damn shame this piece of shit evaded justice for as long as he did. And I can't help but think that anyone saying he should be given a free pass is very young and not educated about the horrors of WW2.

WanderingWind

It's a damn shame this piece of shit evaded justice for as long as he did. And I can't help but think that anyone saying he should be given a free pass is very young and not educated about the horrors of WW2.

We all have to start somewhere. I'm glad the internet wasn't a thing back when I was a budding liberal. Heh. The shit I used to believe....

Vaco6121

The biggest thing to come out of Eichmann's trial was having the atrocities under his hand brought to light when people had already started downplaying the goings-on of what happened in Europe. Like Stinkles said earlier, it's very much tied into the idea of never forgetting those atrocities - precisely so they're never allowed to happen again. And it was a big fucking wake up call.

Now - yet again, we have people downplaying the importance of condemning these crimes. We have people arguing the fucking Nuremberg defense in this thread. And now we have people saying that bringing the man and his crimes to justice won't mean anything?

I want the justice to actually mean something to him, the world already knows what he did. If the punishment does not matter to him, what are we gaining from it? The majority of the world will never forget what the Nazi did. The big things that justice can do to him, put him in prison or death probably don't matter to him anyway. He shouldn't get a slap on the wrist for what he did, but I don't see how we can punish him that makes punishment meaningful to him.

Helmholtz

We all have to start somewhere. I'm glad the internet wasn't a thing back when I was a budding liberal. Heh. The shit I used to believe....
Don't get me wrong. I'm very young myself, born in 92. And because of this I'm very aware of how little some people in my demographic know about the Nazi regime. I think that some of the indifference that's on display in this thread stems from a lack of understanding of these horrors. If this article is correct, the man truly is a monster. It really doesn't matter how long ago this happened. It should not be forgotten or forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom