• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II war criminal emerges in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're trying to trap me or something?

I wouldn't do anything because anyone involved in the Armenian genocide would be more than a 100 years old.

And Fiction, I didn't come into this thread screaming anything.

What happened was a bunch of people came into the thread and said things like, "I can't believe that there are people who defend nazis" and "You guys must be fourteen" and "I would get banned if I said what I really thought of some of you."

And that's an attack on my character.

So I pointed out a hypocrisy. All the people acting high and mighty are very selective in the atrocities that they pay attention to, that they demand justice for. They get mad when I say it's too late for justice, but they know it to be true. How many American land-owning gaffers will give up their property to Native Americans? How many gaffers will demand the US government to officially recognize the Armenian Genocide? Nobody.

So stop attacking my position that it's too late for justice when so many of you will behave upon that logic concerning other atrocities.

You need to stop. You're now talking about an entirely different topic. The fact that you don't even realize this is in keeping with all the other stupid shit you've spouted in this thread.

Bombadil

Banned
Please tell me you see the difference between recognising an atrocity that was far enough in history that the perpetrators are all dead, and actually bringing a tangible (suspected) war criminal to account.

As it happens, I do agree that the US Government should recognise the Armenian Massacre as a genocide, and chastise Turkey in the hardest possible terms for denying it. However, even if I was unaware of it, it doesn't change the fact that you're using this case to call us all hypocrites for wanting this actual case to come to the courts, despite the clear lack of relevance.

I should imagine that most would favour conviction for anyone who was part of an unlawful massacre. If some hypothetical 120-year old war criminal who took part in the Armenian Massacre were to be dug out of hiding, I'd support his conviction and trial.

It still doesn't make any sense to attack my character for saying that it's too late for justice.

You may disagree with it, but there's no good reason why some gaffers came into this thread and said those things in that tone. As if I'm some kind of insect for pointing out the fact that this guy is 94 years old and it's been 70 years since his alleged crimes.

And then people say I'm disgusting for defending myself.

And just like the last time I was banned, people will say I had a meltdown in a thread, even though I didn't. A bunch of people just want to shame me for no good reason. In a real life conversation, saying that it's too late would not incite that kind of outrage. I think most people would nod or shrug solemnly. But nobody would say some of the shit I've been seeing in this thread. And that's what faux outrage is: reacting in an overly dramatic fashion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It still doesn't make any sense to attack my character for saying that it's too late for justice.

You may disagree with it, but there's no good reason why some gaffers came into this thread and said those things in that tone. As if I'm some kind of insect for pointing out the fact that this guy is 94 years old and it's been 70 years since his alleged crimes.

And just like the last time I was banned, people will say I had a meltdown in a thread, even though I didn't. A bunch of people just want to shame me for no good reason. In a real life conversation, saying that it's too late would not incite that kind of outrage. I think most people would nod or shrug solemnly. But nobody would say some of the shit I've been seeing in this thread. And that's what faux outrage is: reacting in an overly dramatic fashion.

everyone is out to get you for no reason.

Blader

Some of the posts in here are fucking embarrassing.

This man is allegedly responsible for the deaths and suffering of who knows how many innocent people. The atrocities he had a hand in can't just go unpunished or forgotten, how the fuck could you think otherwise? Even if he only serves a day in prison before he drops dead, if he's guilty, then he needs to punished. End of story. There's no statute of limitations on war crimes. There's no getting away with something like this just because you're old and it happened decades ago, and it's shameful anyone could think otherwise.

EVOL 100%

Do you show people pictures of severed heads in real life when people who have family effected by WW2 warcrimes want justice to be done too?

And just like the last time I was banned, people will say I had a meltdown in a thread, even though I didn't. A bunch of people just want to shame me for no good reason.

I think ignoring crimes committed in the Holocaust is disgusting, and wouldn't for a second hesitate to say as such to anyone who suggested to me otherwise in real life. Such a sentiment is a shameful one to hold, in my eyes.

It's not you, it's your opinion and the way you expressed it.

jtb

Banned

none of this would be an issue if you had actually presented a single logical argument in this thread.

You're trying to trap me or something?

I wouldn't do anything because anyone involved in the Armenian genocide would be more than a 100 years old.

And Fiction, I didn't come into this thread screaming anything.

What happened was a bunch of people came into the thread and said things like, "I can't believe that there are people who defend nazis" and "You guys must be fourteen" and "I would get banned if I said what I really thought of some of you."

And that's an attack on my character.

So I pointed out a hypocrisy. All the people acting high and mighty are very selective in the atrocities that they pay attention to, that they demand justice for. They get mad when I say it's too late for justice, but they know it to be true. How many American land-owning gaffers will give up their property to Native Americans? How many gaffers will demand the US government to officially recognize the Armenian Genocide? Nobody.

So stop attacking my position that it's too late for justice when so many of you will behave upon that logic concerning other atrocities.

But the point is that because other bad things happen as well, getting upset about one bad thing and not every bad thing is not hypocrisy. Hopefully, the armenian genocide will have justice done before our lifetimes are out. As is so often the case, it's not likely. Not because people don't care, but because these assholes cover up their tracks so and scare everyone into not talking. There's genocides occurring right now, all over the world, some we likely don't even know about. Some we maybe never will.

I am not attacking you as a person, but I do think it's wrong to use this type of argument. It doesn't make people more likely to agree with you, it only makes them feel bad. And yeah, I believe that anyone, no matter how old they are or how long ago the crime occurred, needs to be brought to justice if they are found guilty. The fact that not everyone who is guilty of every crime is brought to justice doesn't change that.

EYEL1NER

You have a choice make it, he made his bed and should now have to lye in it.
Intentional or no?

Also, count me in the "He should stand trial and if found guilty of war crimes, go straight to jail" camp.
I'm also in the camp who is shaking their heads at some of the responses in this thread... What the fuck?!

Stinkles

So prosecuting this guy will serve as a deterrent to future dictators/war criminals?

I am all for prosecuting this guy, but it being a deterrent is crazy.

why do you think dictators are afraid to come to the West when they are deposed?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I find it interesting and weird a Slavic Ukrainian could be the commander of an SS unit. I know many people from conquered Nazi countries joined, but most were forces to, and it was no secret Hitler was not a fan of Slavs.

Anyone have photos of SS badges with his name or picture on it, or paperwork?

Quixzlizx

I find it interesting and weird a Slavic Ukrainian could be the commander of an SS unit. I know many people from conquered Nazi countries joined, but most were forces to, and it was no secret Hitler was not a fan of Slavs.

If you read the link in the OP, he was the leader of an auxiliary group affiliated with the SS.

But Nazi Germany had SS companies from all over the world. There was an Arab SS unit, and I'm pretty sure Hitler wasn't a big fan of the Semites.

Duji

We get it, Bombadil. You're upset about the lack of acknowledgement regarding the Armenian Genocide. But bringing up your frustration in a completely unrelated issue is not the right way to express yourself.

Air

Banned
The guy will be dead in <5 years anyways. Let him rot.

I can see both sides. Any justice served now will be hollow, but it has to be done.

Arguably, if the point of a justice system is to rehabilitate criminals then it is too late for justice to occur. The dude is 94.

However, if the point of the justice system is facilitating revenge or punishment then yeah.

Two of the more reasonable posts in this thread I think. You can say the goal is to never forget, unfortunately I think most have forgotten though. This man evaded justice so long that he made the system seem incompetent. They should try him and persecute, but unfortunately he already won.

All is not forgiven if you manage to evade the authorities for X amount of years. The man isn't a sweet old grandpa, he's a war criminal who must be punished.

Enron

Banned

It's like no one reads my posts. Sheesh.

I don't see what the point is, they don't even have proof he did anything. After reading about the fire raids it was apparentlyjust war crimes all day, all the time, what is the point of singling these particular war criminals out?

Raiden

Banned
I wonder what would happen if he was suffering from Alzheimers or something like that. And when they take him away he has no idea why or what is happening.

With that said, he can rot in hell for all i care. Being old and helpless does not change your history of war crimes.

Sibylus

Banned
He should get his day in court, regardless of the empty-headed "it's too late" rhetoric from the corners of those who evidently don't give a shit about atrocities if they didn't occur within their immediate frame of reference. Evidently some don't believe that people have legacies.

GusBus

This thread is something else. The fact that there are people here who believe this guy should walk away scott free is simply staggering. No, we don't have to kill or waterboard him, but there's no question he should spend his last days in prison. At the very least, a public trial, perhaps in the national spotlight, will help educate some on the horrors committed during the Holocaust. If this thread is any indication, some folks out there are woefully ignorant.

Apocryphon

This thread is something else. The fact that there are people here who believe this guy should walk away scott free is simply staggering. No, we don't have to kill or waterboard him, but there's no question he should spend his last days in prison. At the very least, a public trial, perhaps in the national spotlight, will help educate some on the horrors committed during the Holocaust. If this thread is any indication, some folks out there are woefully ignorant.

He wouldn't be tried in the US. He would be extradited to Germany.

Lich_King

The worst punishment for nazis - deport him to Israel

Are you going to answer whether or not you would feel the same way if someone who took part in the genocide was found instead or are you going to continue doing it while you threadshit from an unrelated matter?

Come on, man.

Someone who took part in Armenian genocide would just walk away free like all of them did because officially that never happened...

Apocryphon

Wouldn't it still see major coverage? The extradition of a 94 year old ex-Nazi is not an everyday occurrence.

It wouldn't be the first time the US has deported suspected Nazi war criminals. I wouldn't expect much media coverage after this week. He'll either go to Germany or Poland and will probably be convicted regardless of whether there's any direct proof he killed anybody or ordered others to do so. If he was in a leadership position and in charge of a unit that committed atrocities, he'll be found guilty. Germany don't have a death penalty so it'll be prison for the remainder of his days.

Disgusting human being, it is never too late for justice there are still holocaust and other victims of nazi crimes survivors living with the horror that was done to them. I hope this guy has a horrible and sad end to his life as his did to so many others

beside it was during a war.
please be a joke.

Fuzzery

Eh, the main question here is what does the justice system aim to accomplish in this country.

This is a subject which no one ever talks about, and the media doesn't ever cover.

N-Bomb

I should note that ultimately no one was punished for the My Lai Massacre.

In fact, with the exception of one guy who did 3 years of house arrest for 22 murders, all charges were dropped, and only one officer ultimately stood trial.

The US' record on war crimes is not exactly stellar. That's not even including all the innocent victims of droning since 9/11.

Stinkles

I should note that ultimately no one was punished for the My Lai Massacre.

In fact, with the exception of one guy who did 3 years of house arrest for 22 murders, all charges were dropped, and only one officer ultimately stood trial.

The US' record on war crimes is not exactly stellar. That's not even including all the innocent victims of droning since 9/11.
our record is atrocious. Go make an on-topic thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom