• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II war criminal emerges in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

It must suck going to bed every night knowing what you did to countless innocent people.

Should he never get convicted, that has haunted and will continue to haunt him forever, I'd think.

Quixzlizx

Far worse people are left unpnished because the allies won the war. I say he is too old to face charges for something that happened 60 years ago.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is the reason our world is so fucked up.

You clearly don't understand this phrase.

I know that in all likelihood he was following orders, but keep in mind that commanders of the SS were given almost complete autonomy in their respective areas. In occupied locations they essentially held complete power. He certainly agreed with the ideals of the Nazi regime and its horrors if he was in this leadership position.

Far worse people are left unpnished because the allies won the war. I say he is too old to face charges for something that happened 60 years ago.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is the reason our world is so fucked up.

Unless you think people are calling for him to die hundreds of times in a gas chamber, this makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not entirely certain that there are far worse people than those involved in genocide.

Bigfoot

And Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr received the Distinguished Service Cross for piloting the enola gay and dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, killing 90,000–166,000 as a direct result of his mission.

I am not going to argue whether this guy is a war criminal or hero, but like the Nazi in question in this thread, you have to wonder if Tibbets lived every day of us life in regret thinking of all the people he killed. The guy basically killed more people single handedly than anyone else has in history.

And curl his moustache and tip his top hat after leaving a tied up dame on the train tracks, right?

are you pretending like a nazi war criminal is less evil than a damsel-stealing cartoon villain? Frankly your posts in this thread are the most disgusting things I have ever seen on neogaf. clearly you are upset that the jews get all the world's attention for their genocide and the armenians get little for theirs. it sickens me that you are getting some twisted pleasure out of proclaiming "aha jews, it is too late for you to get your justice - just like it is for me." it is not too late to make this man die with his terrible crimes on the forefront of his mind, and it is not too late to remind the world that where justice can be done it will be done. you have no right to try and deny our society this just because you think you have been wronged or ignored.

you are a demented human being.

Maxim726X

You guys make it seem like he was the Red Fucking Skull. He was probably just following orders.

Totally agree.

I can understand the bloodlust to a certain extent, but I wonder what all of the self-righteous people calling for a 'painful death' would have done if they were in the same situation that most of these people were in.

Bombadil

Banned
are you pretending like a nazi war criminal is less evil than a damsel-stealing cartoon villain? Frankly your posts in this thread are the most disgusting things I have ever seen on neogaf. clearly you are upset that the jews get all the world's attention for their genocide and the armenians get little for theirs. it sickens me that you are getting some twisted pleasure out of proclaiming "aha jews, it is too late for you to get your justice - just like it is for me." it is not too late to make this man die with his terrible crimes on the forefront of his mind, and it is not too late to remind the world that where justice can be done it will be done. you have no right to try and deny our society this just because you think you have been wronged or ignored.

you are a demented human being.

You are wrong about everything you're saying. Clearly, you shouldn't make judgments about people based on comments on the internet.

I don't believe in villifying people. Maybe I don't believe in evil. And I certainly don't believe a 94 year old man is cackling with glee for getting away with something. So stop deluding yourself.

You are wrong about everything you're saying. Clearly, you shouldn't make judgments about people based on comments on the internet.

I don't believe in villifying people. Maybe I don't believe in evil. And I certainly don't believe a 94 year old man is cackling with glee for getting away with something. So stop deluding yourself.

Then go live in your reductionist, chemical-interaction, all-things-are-justifiable society and leave the administration of punishment for socially-constructed crimes to those of us that still have a stake. good riddance.

Bombadil

Banned
Then go live in your reductionist, chemical-interaction, all-things-are-justifiable society and leave the administration of punishment for socially-constructed crimes to those of us that still have a stake. good riddance.

I can see you don't have much experience with 90 year olds.

Totally agree.

I can understand the bloodlust to a certain extent, but I wonder what all of the self-righteous people calling for a 'painful death' would have done if they were in the same situation that most of these people were in.

Not killed people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righteous_Among_the_Nations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Resistance_to_Nazism

I would never kill my own country men because of their religion, beliefs, race, etc.

You're literally using the nazi's own defense. That's not how things work anymore. If you knew what you were doing you don't have a defense.

This reminds me the one time some guy on GAF said the holocaust was an accident or something. The nazis didn't really want to kill jews, gays, other minorities.

dr_octagon

Banned
I can see you don't have much experience with 90 year olds.

Do you believe in following a process?

It shouldn't make a difference in age. If someone is physically and mentally capable, why shouldn't they stand in a court like anybody else. The type of offence shouldn't matter (in theory) but people will react to certain crimes because they are considered more serious (and the punishment reflects that). You don't have to be after blood to want to see justice carried out, regardless of how many years passed. If anything, it reinforces that concept and the process applies to the accused as well (having representation, sufficient evidence, fair trial etc.).

Fonz72

Do you think FDR, Truman, and Churchill should've rotted away in cells next to SS commanders?

They would have had the Axis won WWII. And almost 70 years later they would be viewed as "war criminals" to the people in the countries that were bombed to almost non-existence.

Not saying that this guy is should not be tried for what he has done. But, the victors are rarely held accountable for what they do.

Bombadil

Banned
He committed crimes in his past and was never held accountable. He should be and so should everyone. To bad people slip by. Your comments in this thread are very disturbing.

CHEEZMO™;64562171 said:
-- A person who told people to get off their high horse for wanting a Nazi war criminal brought to justice​

Conditions must be met for justice.

You have to make sure that it's justice and not revenge.

When they hung the nazis in Nuremberg, that was more revenge than justice.

Here we have a 94 year old man. We should consider what kind of justice we are to dole out.

Should we execute him? I don't believe in capital punishment.

Should we imprison him? He is 94. What kind of special prison shall they house him in? Will this punishment end up hurting him or just costing us money?

You say my comments are disturbing? I think you guys are disturbing. Your insistence that "justice" must be carried out is no more than a veil for vengeance. Vengeance without meaning or value to society.

I'm sorry I'm not one of those people who publicly wishes for criminals to get raped in prison. And I'm sorry that people who try to empathize with others, or understand them, even if those others are war criminals, are viewed by you guys as being either naive or disgusting people.

You guys should re-evaluate yourselves, because some of your comments are very disgusting and indicative of a blind mob mentality.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Here we have a 94 year old man. We should consider what kind of justice we are to dole out.

Should we imprison him? He is 94. What kind of special prison shall they house him in? Will this punishment end up hurting him or just costing us money?

You say my comments are disturbing? I think you guys are disturbing. Your insistence that "justice" must be carried out is no more than a veil for vengeance. Vengeance without meaning or value to society.

I'm sorry I'm not one of those people who publicly wishes for criminals to get raped in prison. And I'm sorry that people who try to empathize with others, or understand them, even if those others are war criminals, are viewed by you guys as being either naive or disgusting people.

You guys should re-evaluate yourselves, because some of your comments are very disgusting and indicative of a blind mob mentality.

Then you chose to ignore me and dozens of other posters explaining the rule of law, the necessity for a society to have a memory of its own crimes and you also ignored all the people asking you if you thought the Armenian Genocide should just be forgotten. You're a hypocrite and a selective reader.

SHOULD WE FORGIVE AND FORGET PERPETRATORS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE?

a. Yes
b. No

WAS THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE EVIL?

a. No
b. Yes

Not at all. He should be punished. But keeping it real, is it really?

The goal of justice should be rehabilitation (if you're Norway) or just being removed as a threat to society.

Neither of which applies to him, due to his age.

With respect, fuck that noise.

Sometimes justice is as simple as punishment. Having to be live uncomfortably as a consequence for behavior antithetical to law. In this case, let this mothafucka enjoy his last 1-10 years in a 6x6 cell. Solitary if there's a spot available. Let him meditate for the remainder of his days on what he did to earn his new-found accommodations and forever be haunted by those he helped dismiss from this world.

Bombadil

Banned
Then you chose to ignore me and dozens of other posters explaining the rule of law, the necessity for a society to have a memory of its own crimes and you also ignored all the people asking you if you thought the Armenian Genocide should just be forgotten. You're a hypocrite and a selective reader.

SHOULD WE FORGIVE AND FORGET PERPETRATORS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE?

a. Yes
b. No

WAS THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE EVIL?

a. No
b. Yes

I have already forgiven them.

Ah, so any justice that would be served would be served cold. So he should, what...remain free because he's old and it would just cost us money? I'm not for capital punishment myself, but I'd be happy to toss in $20 or whatever the cost would be to incarcerate a Nazi for the rest of his life. Because of his crimes, he doesn't deserve to remain free.

Bombadil

Banned
Ah, so any justice that would be served would be served cold. So he should, what...remain free because he's old and it would just cost us money? I'm not for capital punishment myself, but I'd be happy to toss in $20 or whatever the cost would be to incarcerate a Nazi for the rest of his life. Because of his crimes, he doesn't deserve to remain free.

Incarceration serves two purposes: rehabilitation and/or security of society.

Placing people in prison for the purposes of punishment yields high rates of recidivism.

Raguel

I find your comments highly disgusting and offensive. How about that?

Bombadil

Banned
I swear to god if you put such words in my mouth in person I would be the one of trial. Your attitude towards justice and other posters in this thread is completely disgusting. You need to reevaluate your stances on justice and morality because now I'm sure you don't know what the fuck your even talking about.

I don't even give a shit if I get banned for this you don't get to put such words on me and act like I was even remotely saying such things.

I wasn't referring to you.

My posts aren't disgusting. You cheapen the value of words when you misuse them.

Raguel

It still doesn't make any sense to attack my character for saying that it's too late for justice.

You may disagree with it, but there's no good reason why some gaffers came into this thread and said those things in that tone. As if I'm some kind of insect for pointing out the fact that this guy is 94 years old and it's been 70 years since his alleged crimes.

And then people say I'm disgusting for defending myself.

And just like the last time I was banned, people will say I had a meltdown in a thread, even though I didn't. A bunch of people just want to shame me for no good reason. In a real life conversation, saying that it's too late would not incite that kind of outrage. I think most people would nod or shrug solemnly. But nobody would say some of the shit I've been seeing in this thread. And that's what faux outrage is: reacting in an overly dramatic fashion.

You were banned? Surprise Surprise.

My posts aren't disgusting. You cheapen the value of words when you misuse them.

Your posts are posts that I find disgusting.

The content of your posts disgusts me.

What your posts represent disgusts me.

If you don't like that word, I have others. Repellent. Morally vacuous. Idiotic.

dr_octagon

Banned

how does the passing of time affect your view on what punishment should follow - is it purely a practical concern? (the cost to the taxpayer would apply to everyone in prison)

you have a different view of what justice is but he shouldn't be treated differently because of his age - he is capable of understanding what he is being accused of, why not follow the process which has already dealt with similar scenarios

Come on Dreams you gotta change that..............

Why is that? Prison does serve 3 purposes. 4, really. (1) Societal security, (2) punishment, (3) behavioral modification/reformation/rehabilitation, and (4) deterrence for others who may get the itch to commit a crime.

If rehabilitation and societal security were the only objectives, everyone would go to a secure medical facility and rehabilitated rather than conventional prisons as we know them. You can ignore the reality of punishment being a critical component to prison if you like, but it won't change the fact that part of the experience is punishment. Sending this old fart to jail serves #2 and #4. Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom