• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II war criminal emerges in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the Associated Press placed the worst type of spotlight imaginable on 94-year-old Michael Karkoc, the Ukraine native had spent more than 60 years quietly living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. But as the AP's in-depth reporting reveals, Karkoc's background is one of sinister evil. He's been identified as a commander of various Nazi SS-affiliated units and is believed to have personally ordered the massacre of innocent civilians.

Now, after lying to immigration officials to gain refuge in the US back in 1949, he could face deportation and prosecution for the war crimes he's spent decades hiding from. Despite no clear evidence showing that he directly partook in mass slaughter, German authorities may still have enough to prove Karkoc commanded those beneath him to carry out the unthinkable acts. A self-published Ukrainian memoir links him to Nazi forces, though it wasn't until the AP received a tip and pursued a Freedom of Information Act request that the whole, disheartening truth was learned.

Source (AP)
- Via The Verge

Rubenov

At 94? There's got to be an expiration date on these things. Sorry justice, you got made a fool of for 50 years the guy won.

I swear this happens every other year. They find some old dude who was part of the Nazi regime in some Podunk town. He should def stand for his crimes too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Give him a painful death to make up for year he stole and to make up for the THOUSANDS of years he stole from others?

Now this I don't agree with. Maybe he spends the rest of his life in prison. Hell, maybe they do give him the death penalty. Maybe they get information from him that can be used to find others. But I don't like the idea of malicious revenge.

Bring him to justice I guess, but I'd rather see the various war criminals who operate with impunity within our own government prosecuted. But I guess they don't count because the "other" is always a more potent symbol of evil.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I am not Jewish so I'll never fully understand the horrors of WWII but I am happy to see that another war criminal as been found. And IMO, he should be prosecuted, no matter his age. But that's just me. I am known to hold grudges haha. But for me, this is great news.

VASPER

Banned
So if we found out a murderer was 94 and had been on the run for 60 years its cool? Just cause he is 94 and been hiding for 60 years wut? fuck this im out.

GRW810

Leave him alone. It's too late.

Dude is 94 years old why the fuck bother?

I don't really see the point in going after him at this point.

At 94? There's got to be an expiration date on these things. Sorry justice, you got made a fool of for 50 years the guy won.
Come on, seriously? I can't even be bothered going into why you're all wrong because anyone with common sense and good morals knows why this man must face justice.

"He was involved in mass slaughter but awwwww, he's wrinkly" isn't acceptable.

VASPER

Banned
You guys make it seem like he was the Red Fucking Skull. He was probably just following orders.

Orders that killed thousands, just cause you follow a order doesn't mean it was right. You have a choice make it, he made his bed and should now have to lye in it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey people who fought World War II and discovered the Nazi atrocities, your worst nightmare is coming true. A generation that thinks it doesn't matter anymore.

It's like the Holocaust never happened!

If you could say to the faces of the survivors of these crimes that he should not be tried in a court of law I'd be genuinely amazed. What would you say "Leave him alone, he's old, it was a long time ago, yours and your families suffering is no longer relevant"? When it comes to War Crimes justice has to be done.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So if we found out a murderer was 94 and had been on the run for 60 years its cool? Just cause he is 94 and been hiding for 60 years wut? fuck this im out.
He's a person who has either directly partook or commanded others to partake in absolutely terrible things, prosecute him by all means, just don't be surprised if he dies somewhere between now and then.

Restrain This

Neo Member
Go ahead and prosecute him, but if he's made it this far without getting caught, he has basically won. At 94 years old, he's lived a full life. Anything that happens to him now I doubt he is going to give too much of a shit about.

LordCanti

Captain America, really.

Why not both?

Comic books do have a lot of nazi's in them, I guess. There's a whole monologue about how a lot of bad shit went down because guys were "following orders" in X-Men first class though

Captain America. Brush up man!

I know Red Skull is Captain America, but the whole "just following orders" thing is right out of X-Men. Unless it's right out of both of course, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Darklord

Banned
You guys make it seem like he was the Red Fucking Skull. He was probably just following orders.

Following orders? He was a commander of an SS unit. He was the one gladly gladly getting and giving the orders to mass murder. He wasn't some fucking random German enlisted in the army.

Edit: Oh, it was a joke? My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom