• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's most livable cities in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Whoompthereitis said:
Do you disagree? I've been saying this in the girl-age threads forever now.

Naw, didn't know about it. Never heard anyone say Van has any more single girls than any other city.

Goddamn knew I should've went there instead of Toronto when I moved from Edm...

Kuro Madoushi said:
Naw, didn't know about it. Never heard anyone say Van has any more single girls than any other city.

Goddamn knew I should've went there instead of Toronto when I moved from Edm...

First off, I have no facts or figures to back it up. All based on anecdotal evidence and personal experience.

But it's true. All the girls say it, as they complain about how there are no decent guys. And even all the guys say it.

Leaving my house to walk two blocks down to Starbucks I'll generally see 2 or 3 girls that are very attractive. And the best part is that guys in this city have a rep for not hitting on girls...people don't talk to strangers a lot here.

So as a result, if you appraoch a random girl on the street, it usually goes well. At first they'll likely think you're panhandling, but once they realize you're hitting on them it's all good. Even if they brush you off, they tend to be appreciative of the attention, assuming that you don't act like a creep.

And the online dating scene seems pretty awesome. Once every three months or so I'll spend a couple of hours on OK Cupid or POF, and that shit is like a candy store. Send out a bunch of messages, and wait to see what comes back. Boom, there you go. Three months worth of dating taken care of.

I'm not the type of guy who puffs his chest and brags about where he lives, but this really is a great town to meet cute women.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Suck shit USA!
fisheyes said:
As a resident of Radelaide I really do like the atmosphere here, particularly around this time of year when the Fringe is on. I would like to see that kind of atmosphere become a year long thing, though - keep some of the artsy fartsy stuff, the street performance, the garden going all year. Also, we need more of the major bands that come to Australia to not skip over us. And build that inner city stadium. Thats really all we need to further shoot up that ladder, at least in my mind.

This is the right attitude, there's plenty to do In Adelaide, especially this time of year. There are a number of smaller locally run festivals that pop up all year round, all of them are great and deserve support!

Mr_Moogle said:
As a 24 year old living in Adelaide, I'd have to agree. Its really just a big country town. Its much smaller than some of the other cities on that list. I'm kinda surprised to see it at number 8.

Adelaide has a few cool things. We probably have the best looking cricket ground in the world ....and we HAD a pretty good F1 track here until they took it to Melbourne...
Jake. said:
i live in adelaide (#8) and whilst its a perfect city for a young family with kids, for singles in their 20's-30's (sup) its pretty much balls.
tri_willy said:
oh wow, considering how i find the nightlife pretty crappy...

You guys are doing it wrong. You're going to Heaven and HQ every week aren't you? You guys don't deserve Adelaide. Go clubbing some where else.

There are plenty of bars to hang out at in Adelaide. Eds Castle is rocking. Check it out, all the time. awesome bands + good music.

Big-E

Glad to see the tears have flowed in this thread. Face it just because you think the whole world revolves around your country doesn't mean it is the best place in the world to live. A lot of ignorance in this thread too.

Archer

Tabris said:
Woot! I live in the best city in the world :) Only in Vancouver can you have views like this from your living room.

livingroom.jpg

You're near Rogers Arena, eh?

Firestorm

teruterubozu said:
eh, it's one of HUNDREDS of "best places to live" lists. There seems to be one every week. Forbes has created an annoying trend.
And Vancouver is top or near the top of all of them ;D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whoompthereitis said:
Leaving my house to walk two blocks down to Starbucks I'll generally see 2 or 3 girls that are very attractive. And the best part is that guys in this city have a rep for not hitting on girls...people don't talk to strangers a lot here.

This is so true from what I hear from all my female friends. People in this city are friendly... but too polite, shy, reserved, whatever. There's a lot of hotties who are single so if you have balls, the city is your oyster.

Big-E

Firestorm said:
And Vancouver is top or near the top of all of them ;D

This. We top these lists even though it is expensive as fuck to live here. We have our faults but the total package is too much. That being said, I really don't think Vancouver is a good place to visit on a vacation unless you come for skiing. Place is one of those cities that is way better to live in than it is to visit.

Lambtron said:
I badly want to move to Vancouver. I wish it weren't so expensive. Who wants to give me a job? :)

This. Maybe one day when I get my automotive technician license...until then its a pipe dream.

Firestorm

BocoDragon said:
This is so true from what I hear from all my female friends. People in this city are friendly... but too polite, shy, reserved, whatever. There's a lot of hotties who are single so if you have balls, the city is your oyster.
There was actually an article aboout it in one of our papers a while back iirc

I meet Vancouver peeps in Hawaii all the time (very popular destination, apparently). Some of the nicest people on the planet. Very friendly, loves small talk, etc. Bring up French Canadians though, and they go apeshit.

Canada should break off from their inferior southern counterpart, float over to Australia, combine to create the largest land mass on the planet, and take over the world with robot kangaroo's that wield hockey sticks and shoot lasers from their eyes.

Darklord

Banned
Melbourne is the 2nd most livable? Not with the weather this summer. Boiling hot, next day insanely humid, next day raining, thunder and freezing. Repeat.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fuck I'd love to live in Vancouver, I just don't think I could find a comfy job with security there.

Zozobra

Wholeheartedly agree with Vancouver @ #1. I've been living here for two months and I already can't see myself going anywhere any time soon :)

Jay Sosa

Top 10:

1. Vancouver, Canada
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Vienna, Austria
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Calgary, Canada
6. Helsinki, Finland
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Perth, Australia
8. Adelaide, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand

Hell yeah!

Melbourne is the 2nd most livable? Not with the weather this summer. Boiling hot, next day insanely humid, next day raining, thunder and freezing. Repeat.

Well we currently have -8 degrees celsius in Vienna, I'd trade in an instant.

tri_willy

HolyCheck said:
Suck shit USA!

This is the right attitude, there's plenty to do In Adelaide, especially this time of year. There are a number of smaller locally run festivals that pop up all year round, all of them are great and deserve support!

You guys are doing it wrong. You're going to Heaven and HQ every week aren't you? You guys don't deserve Adelaide. Go clubbing some where else.

There are plenty of bars to hang out at in Adelaide. Eds Castle is rocking. Check it out, all the time. awesome bands + good music.

HQ are one of the places i dont even bother with... Its bars/pubs and house parties for myself. I just think we're missing that one element that would make Adelaide even more awesome. Plus getting rid of shitty politicians would help a lot. Our treasurer is a terrible spender

X26

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
I detect some major British commonwealth bias in this here list

low crime and easily accessible healthcare seem to be positive aspects of a city, who knew?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I think it speaks volumes for Australia and Canada. The key factors for judging the cities arent really exclusive to just the city. Health care, education etc are all nationwide and all fuck awesome.

goomba

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
4 of the top 10 are Australian cities.

1 is in New Zealand (which, let's face it, is culturally, economically and historically so close to Australia, they could almost be considered a bloc). So that's 5 Australasian cities.

phoenix-wright-shut-your-whore-mouth.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
goomba said:
New Zealand is part of Australasia. Just like New Guinea. What part of that post do you object to, exactly?

The part about Australia and New Zealand almost being a bloc? So the fact that a Kiwi or Aussie can go anywhere in ANZ, buy property, seek employment, start a business and get into the fast lines at the airport means nothing? Or what about the fact that both countries tend to go in together on military, economic and diplomatic matters? How about just the fact that ~11% of the Kiwi-born population is currently living in Australia and there are 65,000 Australians living in New Zealand.

Nobody is suggesting that the two countries form some sort of union. There'd be no point to it, really. Thing is, you can't have a cultural discussion of one without at least mentioning the other. Australia and New Zealand are much closer to one another than (say) the USA/Canada or Wales/Scotland/England or Nicargua/Guatemala/El Salvador/Honduras. A valid comparison might be Germany/Austria. Very close in terms of culture, but far enough that it's best that they're kept separate (all that business with Hitler notwithstanding).

The Lamp

I would love to stay for a while in Canada if it wasn't so cold in the winters...I can hardly handle freezing temperatures :(

Where's San Francisco? We have free health care, lots of culture, mild year round weather, and many great schools.... Perhaps the cost of living was the problem?

dudeworld

lethial said:
Yah but Saskatoon >>>>> Calgary >>> Edmonton.

I couldn't put enough "greater than" symbols to demonstrate how much better toronto and vancouver are compared to those 3 cities

in fact, here's a brief summary:

saskatoon: absolutely nothing to do and nothing to see. why anyone would go here for any reason just blows my mind.

edmonton: see saskatoon

calgary: go to the mountains from here. other than that, nothing to do or see.

Canova

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Both the streetcars (yes, we call them streetcars... No it doesn't make sense) and the subways are going to be HUGE improvements... Going to really enjoy transit in the city if presto/CC integration comes around

I'm excited for the new TTC cars, especially the subway cars, it's long overdue

Big-E

Calamachino said:
Where's San Francisco? We have free health care, lots of culture, mild year round weather, and many great schools.... Perhaps the cost of living was the problem?

Cost of living doesn't factor in I think or else Vancouver wouldn't be on the list. Recent study showed that we have the most expensive housing in the country and it will take the average worker around 10 years of salary to afford a home.

dudeworld said:
I couldn't put enough "greater than" symbols to demonstrate how much better toronto and vancouver are compared to those 3 cities

in fact, here's a brief summary:

saskatoon: absolutely nothing to do and nothing to see. why anyone would go here for any reason just blows my mind.

edmonton: see saskatoon

calgary: go to the mountains from here. other than that, nothing to do or see.

This. Calgary almost makes this list invalid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Lamp said:
I would love to stay for a while in Canada if it wasn't so cold in the winters...I can hardly handle freezing temperatures :(
FYI Vancouver is basically the warmest part of Canada. It generally doesn't get snow in the winters and usually just rains.

But ironically... today it did snow :p

Big-E

BocoDragon said:
FYI Vancouver is basically the warmest part of Canada. It generally doesn't get snow in the winters and usually just rains.

But ironically... today it did snow :p

Didn't stick though.

Canova

Banned
BertramCooper said:
NYC is a lot of awesome things, but I would hardly rank it among the most livable cities on the planet.

The rent is too damn high, among other things.

true.

IF I were to rank it in term of awesomeness, then I'd rank it this way

1. Rome
2. Paris
3. Tokyo
4. New York
5. London
6. Hong Kong

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
tri_willy said:
HQ are one of the places i dont even bother with... Its bars/pubs and house parties for myself. I just think we're missing that one element that would make Adelaide even more awesome. Plus getting rid of shitty politicians would help a lot. Our treasurer is a terrible spender

by go clubbing somewhere else, I meant don't go clubbing, it's stupid.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom