• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's most livable cities in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavs

esbern said:
so does a city have to have unbearable winters to be in the top 10 or something? sure, vancover is gorgeous in the summer but i'll take a city in the southern us over it any day.

Don't be such a baby. Does Vancouver even get snow twice in the winters?

Meadows

Banned
To ask again, has anyone got the full list? I'm getting loads of sites telling me I need to pay moneycashes to see it, and my googlefu is off.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
no zürich in the top 10? no sale.

PumpkinPie said:
It seems rather silly that there are people of the same nationality, probably living in the same vicinity who are unable to communicate with one another :/

BloodySinner said:
Especially with the known fact that the official languages of the country are both English and French. Pretty dumb.

pff, canada is child's play. switzerland is a much smaller country with 4 official languages. if i head over to lausanne for a visit, which is not far from me at all, i gotta speak french to get anything done cause there is no way in hell i'm gonna find someone who speaks german. ditto for the italian region. a lot of people speak a handful of words or phrases of the national languages but not many speak 2 of them fluently anymore, largely because english has taken their place in schools now.

Yoshiya

Meadows said:
To ask again, has anyone got the full list? I'm getting loads of sites telling me I need to pay moneycashes to see it, and my googlefu is off.
I'd love to see it as well. Surely it must have been posted somewhere.

jax (old)

Banned
Salazar said:
Launceston needs some more fucking restaurants.

Its got that saloon bar and someother joint (the pav?). I live there ages ago. Launie is a cultural sinkhole full of yobs and bogans. Hobart at least has water/seafood/culture/salamanca market (lovely).

I really want to visit hobart again. I even miss it.

Salazar

Jax said:
Its got that saloon bar and someother joint (the pav?). I live there ages ago. Launie is a cultural sinkhole full of yobs and bogans. Hobart at least has water/seafood/culture/salamanca market (lovely).

I really want to visit hobart again. I even miss it.

There's a flash restaurant down near the water in a converted mill or something (good breakfasts, but awful toast) and a decent but way too expensive steakhouse.

I agree on Hobart.

54-46!

I hate trams.. especially italian trams.

"Whoop-de-doo here I am running on rails in the middle of the city! YAY! Whoops, what's what? I broke down, now I'm blocking off everyone and I can't be moved! IIEEEHHH!"

Fuck you tram, fuck you.

close to the edge said:
1694789-Vienna_Tram-Vienna.jpg

Yo.

#3 represent! :)

They are planning on turning George Street (the main street in Sydney) into a pedestrian strip with trams running though it. We'll be joining awesome tram city gaf soon enough. :D

Salazar said:
36 today. Thirty fucken six.

T'was a pleasant 23 in Sydney today. Sydney weather <3

Salazar

The Storyteller said:
T'was a pleasant 23 in Sydney today. Sydney weather <3

I am about to leave for Hong Kong (fuck knows what temperature), Paris, Rome, Oxford, and London, and then Dubai on the way home. No clue what to pack. I expect to be frozen and defrosted several times.

fisheyes

As a resident of Radelaide I really do like the atmosphere here, particularly around this time of year when the Fringe is on. I would like to see that kind of atmosphere become a year long thing, though - keep some of the artsy fartsy stuff, the street performance, the garden going all year. Also, we need more of the major bands that come to Australia to not skip over us. And build that inner city stadium. Thats really all we need to further shoot up that ladder, at least in my mind.

Fritz

Those lists are stupid and everybody knows they are. I still wouldn't want to be dead and burried in Vancouver.

Bleepey said:
As a poorly travlled London i think this list is bullshit.

LOL. You will find that London Defence Force is very tiny indeed.

"Mid-sized cities in developed countries with relatively low population densities tend to score well by having all the cultural and infrastructural benefits on offer with fewer problems related to crime or congestion"

London is the complete opposite.

Dead Man

I guess property prices were not high on their list of criteria. All the places I've been on that list are damn nice if you have a few pennies to rub together.

Mar

Zinga said:
Don't know why Sydney is in the Top 10 when housing prices are ridiculous, the cost of living compared to the United States is unbelievable and our infrastructure is just plain awful, I love my hometown but every time I go to Brisbane or Melbourne I always marvel how better their infrastructure is than ours! can't wait to give Labor the boot at the elections.

Vancouver is the most unaffordable city in the world. Sydney and Melbourne follow immediately after.

Interesting that the most unaffordable cities are also the most livable... I think this will turn around and bite everyone in the ass at some point.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It was freezing in Melbourne today. I had to put on my slightly warmer shorts.

Bloody south arctic winds.

BocoDragon said:
If Vancouver has unbearable winters (mostly rain, almost never snow), then the southern US has unbearable summers.

Wat.

San Diego monthly averages. Peaks at 76, 78 and 77 for July, August and September. Bottoms at 66 and 66 for December and January.

Vancouver monthly averages. Peaks at 71 and 71 for July and August. Bottoms at 43 and 43 for December and January.

I'll be fair though, I've never lived outside of Hawaii/California for an extended period. San Francisco is about as cold as I can go.

Korey

Pickles the Firecat said:
Wat.

San Diego monthly averages. Peaks at 76, 78 and 77 for July, August and September. Bottoms at 66 and 66 for December and January.

Vancouver monthly averages. Peaks at 71 and 71 for July and August. Bottoms at 43 and 43 for December and January.

I'll be fair though, I've never lived outside of Hawaii/California for an extended period. San Francisco is about as cold as I can go.
It's chuckle-worthy when people outside of socal think they have comparable weather. You don't. Have fun freezing your ass off half the year!

Mr_Moogle

Jake. said:
i live in adelaide (#8) and whilst its a perfect city for a young family with kids, for singles in their 20's-30's (sup) its pretty much balls.

As a 24 year old living in Adelaide, I'd have to agree. Its really just a big country town. Its much smaller than some of the other cities on that list. I'm kinda surprised to see it at number 8.

Adelaide has a few cool things. We probably have the best looking cricket ground in the world ....and we HAD a pretty good F1 track here until they took it to Melbourne...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Stop bitching about Adelaide. Go drink some Farmers Union Iced Coffee then go to church. That's a wild time right there.

pestul

entrement said:
:lol

Thinking the exact same thing.
Yeah.. except Vancouver and Toronto are some of least 'white' cities North of Mexico. Downtown Toronto feels either like Mumbai or Shanghai.. hard to tell some days.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
wait, how come now one has commented on the absurdity of Pittsburgh being the #1 ranked US city? The murder rate and violent crime rate are over twice the national average, the city only recently just started turning around a multi-decade long trend of losing jobs, it has a miserable climate, and it has steadily been losing population since something like the 1930s. How is that the most livable city in America again? This is the dumbest list I've ever seen.

Korey

Nerevar said:
wait, how come now one has commented on the absurdity of Pittsburgh being the #1 ranked US city? The murder rate and violent crime rate are over twice the national average, the city only recently just started turning around a multi-decade long trend of losing jobs, it has a miserable climate, and it has steadily been losing population since something like the 1930s. How is that the most livable city in America again? This is the dumbest list I've ever seen.
Good point. This list is complete bullshit.

Good list!

Wait, this isnt the most boring cities to live in in 2011 list!?!? Calgary and Toronto in top 10 doesnt nearly commute...neither are particularly interesting cities to me compared to others I have been too....London should be up there, far more interesting than both of those

I love BC, but Vancouver isn´t really that amazing of a city...pretty damn small, and while the setting is nice, there is far better scenery in BC.

Firestorm

So my family went from the worst city in the world to the best. Nice.
esbern said:
so does a city have to have unbearable winters to be in the top 10 or something? sure, vancover is gorgeous in the summer but i'll take a city in the southern us over it any day.
Vancouver, the city that couldn't get snow for the Winter Olympics, is unbearable in the winter?

Pristine_Condition said:
This list sure does love white people.
My Vancouver high school graduating year was made up of 5% white people. You don't know what you're talking about :)

Coincidentally, we were known in the area for our math and science students >.>

Soybean

Confirms my desire to move to Canada. It's basically America except with better health care and less religion. It'd be an easy transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom