• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide PlayStation 3 sales reach 80 million

Ratrat

Do please add up the number of the western games that sell significant numbers in Japan, and then compare them to the number of Japanese franchises and games that sell in the West.

Please. I beg you.

Demonstrate your will-full ignorance to us all as you defend glorious Nippon.
Er if they matched up who would be the xenophobic one? If games don't sell it's because they weren't promoted or had no word of mouth. Things like bad localization or removal of content, the fact nearly every western AAA title is rated Z mean something.

When you've got an entire country that's so close-minded to foreign game design that it borders on xenophobia, that advantage will help you close a gap over time.

Seriously dude? You're going to pull the racism card because Microsoft failed to make an appealing console for the market? You're an idiot. If other western companies can be exceedingly popular in Japan, there's no reason why a Microsoft console couldn't be.

And no, the 2 years of actual decent support in Japan doesn't count for shit when it was preceded by 5 years of laughably bad support and no real indication that those 2 years would continue for the rest of the generation (which they didn't).

VillageBC

Do please add up the number of the western games that sell significant numbers in Japan, and then compare them to the number of Japanese franchises and games that sell in the West.

Please. I beg you.

Japanese games are better.

... Isn't that how it works? Why would we continue calling the PS4 "Next Gen" after November 15th if its now the current generation.

PS3 is last Gen on that day. Xbox 360 is last Gen on November 22.

How what works? This isn't some Olympic event. Sony doesn't stop getting revenue from systems sold after the PS4 comes out. "Next gen" and "current gen" are meaningless terms.

Snakeyes

Stuff from Japan is what I can think of atm (like tales, Lightning returns etc)
But of course that is major to me as it caters to my tastes, maybe not to the dudebro crowd.
Pretty much. While it's possible for the PS3 to surpass 100 M, I don't see what games could push another 20 million sales. We'll get Destiny and maybe one or two more rounds of CoD before everything is shifted over to PS4, and the system will be left with nothing but sports sims and niche Japanese games.

When you've got an entire country that's so close-minded to foreign game design that it borders on xenophobia, that advantage will help you close a gap over time.

Or it could just that they prefer games with artsyles they can relate to?

Japanese games with western game design but keeping a Japanese-facing Art style still do well.

This argument is silly anyway. Different cultures are attracted to different things - News at 11.

Replicant

This post is an example as to why one shouldn't post when you're both salty and thirsty. It's amusing though thinking Japan's sales number is the reason why poor 360 is losing. Could probably happen in bizzarro alternate reality somewhere.

Also: Apple is a very succesful brand in Japan. So much for racism.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507512

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706631

Japan is probably the worse region when it comes to PS2 to PS3 sales drop.
PS2 last charted at a LTD of 21.831.556 units while PS3 has only sold 9.545.955 units.
The gap is certainly not closed because of Japan.

And I don't understand how and why a country's xenophobic buying culture (if there are actually any) has anything to do with the PS3 reaching 80 million sales.

Yagharek

Please. I beg you.

You take the sales ranking pretty serious, huh?

I mean, I understand the appeal of the topic but plenty of other people are able to discuss it without jumping in off the deep end.

Seriously dude? You're going to pull the racism card because Microsoft failed to make an appealing console for the market? You're an idiot. If other western companies can be exceedingly popular in Japan, there's no reason why a Microsoft console couldn't be.

And no, the 2 years of actual decent support in Japan doesn't count for shit when it was preceded by 5 years of laughably bad support and no real indication that those 2 years would continue for the rest of the generation (which they didn't).

Interesting.

Funny how throughout the history of the games industry, there's been little to no resistance to the embrace of Japanese game design and art styles. Indeed, they continue to sell quite handsomely even today to the open-minded and curious consumers in North America and Europe.

By comparison, the sales of Western games have never been embraced to the same extent by the Japanese population. It seems there's a fairly 'appeal directly to our tastes because we're not going to bother even attempting to give your tastes a chance' mindset. But it's not really surprising given the isolationist views and notoriously closed immigration policy. Xenophobia and the hate/fear of different, outsider perspectives seems built in to their culture.

Nikodemos

There it is, folks.

This is what we talked about a couple months back (it was a discussion about sales numbers and difference between X360 and PS3). An official announcement from SCE regarding a rounded figure.

Truespeed

This post is an example as to why one shouldn't post when you're both salty and thirsty. It's amusing though thinking Japan's sales number is the reason why poor 360 is losing. Could probably happen in bizzarro alternate reality somewhere.

Also: Apple is a very succesful brand in Japan. So much for racism.

I was just about to post how wildly successful Apple products and apps are in Japan. I guess if you're Japanese and not buying Microsoft products you must therefore be a "close-minded xenophobe" instead of an open minded one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

i know the western press has been getting some criticism on here, but I wouldn't go *that* far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Interesting.

Funny how throughout the history of the games industry, there's been little to no resistance to the embrace of Japanese game design and art styles. Indeed, they continue to sell quite handsomely even today to the open-minded and curious consumers in North America and Europe.

By comparison, the sales of Western games have never been embraced to the same extent by the Japanese population. But it's not really surprising given the isolationist views and notoriously closed immigration policy. Xenophobia and the hate/fear of different, outsider perspectives seems built in to their culture.

And yet this still has no bearing on PS3 catching up to 360 sales like you first mentioned. Funny.

wizzbang

Banned

What the fuck is this shit?
What's killing it for the PS3 is The Last of Us, Uncharted, Beyond, Heavy Rain, MGS, Pixel Junk Games, Journey, Flower, Little Big Planet, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and PSN+ giving out free games for the past 18 months.
Ongoing GOOD exclusive games continue to churn out for the system, name me 3 good exclusive games to come to the 360 in the past 12 months?

MS has only JUST begun copying Sony (no problem with this) on the XBL "free games" thing, they nickel and dimed people for Netflix / Gold, the nickel and dimed twitter / facebook for Gold and people are speculating the 360 may well be dropped like a sack of shit after the Xbox One launch too, without ongoing support.
This has fuck all to do with Japan which only sold 9 million PS3's - sweet fuck all out of 80 million consoles.

The PS3 slowly became fucking good, that's why it caught up. I just god damned hope Microsoft keep up with Sony next round because I do not want "asshole Sony" back. but to blame this on Japan and xenophobia? Please,........

And yet this still has no bearing on PS3 catching up to 360 sales like you first mentioned. Funny.

Really? So you think that console having access to a market that is essentially - for all practical purposes - voluntarily restricted to another doesn't increase the former console's pool of potential sales?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter at this point. Congratulations to Sony and their 10 million sales by default in Japan.

They got 1 sale from me too, and I've certainly enjoyed their console as well.

xxracerxx

Really? So you think that console having access to a market that is essentially - for all practical purposes - voluntarily restricted to another doesn't increase the former console's pool of potential sales?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter at this point. Congratulations to Sony and their 10 million sales by default in Japan.

Haha, god you are one salty guy aren't you? Jesus christ.

Nikodemos

Man, imagining it selling 20 million to make 100m.... is it possible?
Don't think so. Developing for the PS3 is much time-intensive than for its successor and the BoM is still high for the core components (RSX chip, Cell), so we're very likely to see something similar to what Microsoft did with the original Xbox. I suspect 2014 is still safe, but they'll probably pull the plug mid-2015. Legacy support (yearly sports franchises etc.) will still be there, but big titles/new IPs will have moved to the 4.

tensuke

... Isn't that how it works? Why would we continue calling the PS4 "Next Gen" after November 15th if its now the current generation.

PS3 is last Gen on that day. Xbox 360 is last Gen on November 22.

So, on the 22nd, "current-gen" will apply to WiiU, PS4, and Xbone, "next-gen" will be mythical consoles 7-10 years out, and "last-gen" will be Wii, PS3, 360. Just because they are considered "last-gen" doesn't mean that their gen is over, since they're still making consoles (well, PS3 and 360 are). Think of it this way: the 7th generation isn't over until all consoles in the 7th generation have stopped production. Until then, whether it's next, current, or last, the 7th generation is still the 7th generation. The 8th generation's availability may change the terms we use (current, last, etc.), but the gens are the same and continue throughout production.

Interesting.

Funny how throughout the history of the games industry, there's been little to no resistance to the embrace of Japanese game design and art styles. Indeed, they continue to sell quite handsomely even today.

By comparison, the sales of Western games have never been embraced to the same extent by the Japanese population. But it's not really surprising given the isolationist views and notoriously closed immigration policy. Xenophobia and the hate/fear of different, outsider perspectives seems built in to their culture.

Jesus christ. This is so stupid I'm really finding it difficult to stop posting a ton of insults.

Other cultures have different tastes, no fucking shit. What next, the higher proportion of women preferring something like Wii Sports over GTA means they're sexist?

Stop being such a moron and realise that different markets have different tastes, it's not the consumers job to conform to others tastes, it's the sellers job to actually make their product appealing to that market. In that regard, Microsoft have been an abysmal failure, while another American company, Apple, have been wildly successful.

Interesting.

By comparison, the sales of Western games have never been embraced to the same extent by the Japanese population. It seems there's a fairly 'appeal directly to our tastes because we're not going to bother even attempting to give your tastes a chance' mindset. But it's not really surprising given the isolationist views and notoriously closed immigration policy. Xenophobia and the hate/fear of different, outsider perspectives seems built in to their culture.

So basically you are saying, because the west has embraced japanese games, the Japanese must embrace western games to the same extent, otherwise they are racist?

Never knew affirmative action applied to video games.

The Japanese buy games that appeal to them. The western developers that have made game that appeal to to that market have had seen success.

Jesus christ. This is so stupid I'm really finding it difficult to stop posting a ton of insults.

Other cultures have different tastes, no fucking shit. What next, the higher proportion of women preferring something like Wii Sports over GTA means they're sexist?

Stop being such a moron and realise that different markets have different tastes, it's not the consumers job to conform to others tastes, it's the sellers job to actually make their product appealing to that market. In that regard, Microsoft have been an abysmal failure, while another American company, Apple, have been wildly successful.

Fair enough, though you didn't really post anything in opposition to the observable historical trend of western consumers - their their own cultural tastes, being open and curious to the ideas and art styles that came from Japan in the 80s and 90s through to today, while Japanese gamers, with their own tastes, have basically had a 'fuck you, we don't care, cater to us cause we refuse to entertain the notion of ideas that are different than our own.'

They've done a fantastic job of steadying the ship and turning it around.

Probably one of the single greatest turnarounds for a single piece of hardware I can remember.

Looking at the PS4 and how well put together the plan is, the failures of the PS3 launch needed to happen.

So basically you are saying, because the west has embraced japanese games, the Japanese must embrace western games to the same extent, otherwise they are racist?

Never knew affirmative action applied to video games.

The Japanese buy games that appeal to them. The western developers that have made game that appeal to to that market have had seen success.

I didn't say they HAD to. Their closed-mindedness certainly aligns with their isolationist views and closed immigration policy to create a strong picture of a culture that is fearful and close-minded to anything from the outside world.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

They got 1 sale from me too, and I've certainly enjoyed their console as well.

How is it a by default kind of thing? If anything Japan is the worse region for console sales this gen and probably unpredictable for the PS4, Xbone and Wii U. It is the region that has embraced mobile and handheld gaming at a very clear expense of consoles.

And if you look at the charts for Japan, well marketed western games like CoD and GTA are slowly increasing their sales and market share in Japan, a region where console games sales are decreasing each year. If anything, western games are slowly having its own place in Japan.

It's like me saying Yakuza sells 500k in Japan and less than 50K (or worse, Yakuza Dead Souls sold like 10K) due to the N.A. being afraid of Japanese games.

Dr.Acula

Banned
If they manage to break 100 million it's virtually guaranteed that they'll overtake the wii.

Keep in mind the Wii just launched their 100 dollar unit. Then the price of that is gonna come down further. It's gonna be a Walmart special for years to come.

xxracerxx

I didn't say they HAD to. Their closed-mindedness certainly aligns with their isolationist views and closed immigration policy to create a strong picture of a culture that is fearful and close-minded to anything from the outside world.

You should really just stop. Seriously, stop.

If nothing else, it shows that a generation is a marathon and not a sprint. Regardless of all the mistakes and idiocy made with the start of PS3's life, it's generally regarded as a being a worthy console of its generation.

No reason the same sort of progress can't be made again. And a good reason why keeping those companies hungry for your dollar is a win-win situation for consumers.

360 is still in this with titanfall come march

Good point.

Jeels

That might or might not be true, but it doesn't change the facts. It's just a (potential) reason...

You are really picking at straws here

terrier

As close-minded as western countries. especially a few english spoken ones, that just seem to enjoy COD and fps. MS hasn't done shit on many countries, including japan, including mainland europe, to change people's mind. Live, which seems to be the real deal in US or UK is almost worthless elsewhere.
To change brand loyalty you have work to do.

allan-bh

Microsoft managed to keep the X360 ahead of PS3 until the arrival of next Xbox. Kudos for them.

Some people thought this was impossible to do.

tensuke

Keep in mind the Wii just launched their 100 dollar unit. Then the price of that is gonna come down further. It's gonna be a Walmart special for years to come.

Oh wow I totally forgot about that, I knew they stopped production in JP/EU and were probably close to stopping in NA sometime soon. Yeah, the Mini (even though it's gimped to hell) should continue their sales for quite a while (especially at such a low price point, and probably confusion with WiiU still...).

I doubt so.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that cumulative sales of the PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system has reached a milestone of 80 million units worldwide as of November 2, 2013.

Seriously? Some people just want to believe.

Top Bottom