• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide PlayStation 3 sales reach 80 million

Nikodemos

Microsoft managed to keep the X360 ahead of PS3 until the arrival of next Xbox. Kudos for them.

Some people thought this was impossible to do.
Microsoft got a boost from the millions of people who didn't bother sending their RRoD-ed X360 back (again) for repairs but rather just bought another one (and, in some cases, yet another one after that). Truly big PS3 issues have only started appearing recently, with games pushing the first version to its breaking point.

Fair enough, though you didn't really post anything in opposition to the observable historical trend of western consumers - their their own cultural tastes, being open and curious to the ideas and art styles that came from Japan in the 80s and 90s through to today, while Japanese gamers, with their own tastes, have basically had a 'fuck you, we don't care, cater to us cause we refuse to entertain the notion of ideas that are different than our own.'

You're continuing to embarrass yourself with your ignorance and, yes, racism. That you're posting this shit after GTAV just sold so well in Japan is actually pretty funny.

Out of curiosity though, do you even realise what games the entire JRPG genre originated from? I'll give you a hint: They weren't Japanese.

But well done for shitting up the thread though. You must be a really proud console warrior.

FDC1

Hmm, so Xbox 360 80M as at 17th October 2013.

PS3 80M as at 2nd November 2013.

But over those amounts by an unknown amount.

lol, 2 weeks for 7-8 year old consoles, come on guys. How much 360 are sold these days in 2 weeks in a non-Holiday season? 200k, 300k at the very best? From a statistic point of view, the margin of error is probably bigger than that.

Even if we take this numbers literally, yeah, PS3 will be second before Christmas.

I really think it has a good chance at 100million. 90million is guaranteed within the next two years. Then depends how long Sony plan on selling it.

Congrats to Sony reaching this number.

Sony's bare minimum with the PS4 should be to beat the PS3 numbers.

Sotha_Sil

Even with 80 million PS3's out in the market, Puppeteer probably would have sold better as a PS4 launch title with only 2-3 million units initially in the market.

You're continuing to embarrass yourself with your ignorance and, yes, racism. That you're posting this shit after GTAV just sold so well in Japan is actually pretty funny.

Out of curiosity though, do you even realise what games the entire JRPG genre originated from? I'll give you a hint: They weren't Japanese.

But well done for shitting up the thread though. You must be a really proud console warrior.

Yes, the fact that a western game actually selling well is actually noteworthy doesn't help prove my point at all.

It's so rare that it's cause for news reports.

What a different world the gaming industry would be if Western gamers had only been willing to buy one Japanese game every so often. Thank god we were more open-minded.

Anyway dude, keep it coming with the deflection. I'm heading to bed though.

Even with 80 million PS3's out in the market, Puppeteer probably would have sold better as a PS4 launch title with only 2-3 million units initially in the market.

I think that's entirely fair. I think the smaller titles like Puppeteer and Rain should have been PS4 launch titles. Beyond, GT6, and God of War could have remained PS3 titles.

Cipherr

Didn't Microsoft announce the Xbox 360 hit 80 million a month or so ago?

Haha so Xbox 360 has been in second place these last few months even though most of us we're convinced it dropped to third.

Since Current Gen is over on November 15th basically, Wii Finished in First, Microsoft in Second and Sony in Third.

I feel the same. Im sure they will all firesale hardware and whatnot, but it seems likely that the order is and was established long ago. Perhaps the PS3 may pass the 360, but its all sort of moot. They are at a dead heat pretty much.

Its a new gen now, that race is over.

Dukey

Banned

Haha so Xbox 360 has been in second place these last few months even though most of us we're convinced it dropped to third.

Since Current Gen is over on November 15th basically, Wii Finished in First, Microsoft in Second and Sony in Third.

Pretty much.

FDC1

I feel the same. Im sure they will all firesale hardware and whatnot, but it seems likely that the order is and was established long ago. Perhaps the PS3 may pass the 360, but its all sort of moot. They are at a dead heat pretty much.

Its a new gen now, that race is over.

No it's not, come on guys it's embarassing. PS3+360 sales will probably be as high as PS4 + Xbox 1 sales this chistmas.

Skeff

Pretty much.

Not quite, Both figures are shipped and the murmurs are that the PS3 has sold slightly more, this is likely taking into account the new X360 E which would likely see a large bump in hardware shipped due to it being a new SKU, though I haven't actually seen one of these in anyone's house or know of anyone who has purchased one. The PS3 will Firmly be in second place after GT though so the whole thing is rather moot.

slapnuts

I still think it has a chance of reaching 100 million, especially once it goes down to $199 and lower. Great comeback on the part of Sony, especially after all those articles early this gen that said the PS3 wouldn't survive beyond one year.

I think alot of this has to do with the LEGS that CELL cpu had ...mid and to the end of PS3 developers really started harnessing that extra power more and Sony's tools probably are well matured by now. The PS3 really is shinning right now in terms of visuals but most importantly Sony's exclusives dwarf the Xbox 360. Again...this is one of the big reasons why I (long time xbox gamer) jumped ship and i am back on the PS bandwagon. PS4 next gen is going to be GLORIOUS!

Scrabble

Maybe if they are lucky they'll actually recoup the cost it took to make the damn thing. Crazy to think ps3 completely just wiped the profits from ps1 and ps2.

Dukey

Banned
Not quite, Both figures are shipped and the murmurs are that the PS3 has sold slightly more, this is likely taking into account the new X360 E which would likely see a large bump in hardware shipped due to it being a new SKU, though I haven't actually seen one of these in anyone's house or know of anyone who has purchased one. The PS3 will Firmly be in second place after GT though so the whole thing is rather moot.

Yes quite. I'm going to believe Sony and MS over fans of either console. And regardless, it's a stupid metric to measure success. Revenue and marketshare is how you measure success, and Sony simply got decimated on both counts this gen.

Maybe if they are lucky they'll actually recoup the cost it took to make the damn thing. Crazy to think ps3 completely just wiped the profits from ps1 and ps2.

This. Creatively a great gen for Sony. Financially nothing short of a disaster. One that continues now.

AmyS

People will continue to call the PS4 and Xbone next gen for some time. At least, that's what happened when the PS360 was released.

PS4 and XBone I guess should be considered next-gen at least until they've both launched in every major territory. Once next E3 is past, going into next fall, I'd say they'd be considered current gen then.

Yes, the fact that a western game actually selling well is actually noteworthy doesn't help prove my point at all.

It's so rare that it's cause for news reports.

What a different world the gaming industry would be if Western gamers had only been willing to buy one Japanese game every so often. Thank god we were more open-minded.

Anyway dude, keep it coming with the deflection. I'm heading to bed though.

How many hentai themed games do you own???

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty impressive for a console that launched at $599.

BigDug13

I wouldn't be surprised if strong sales of the PS4 translates to more people on PS+ and then more people realizing how many free games they could have if only they had a PS3 as well in their entertainment center.

Bundy

Banned
Really? So you think that console having access to a market that is essentially - for all practical purposes - voluntarily restricted to another doesn't increase the former console's pool of potential sales?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter at this point. Congratulations to Sony and their 10 million sales by default in Japan.

They got 1 sale from me too, and I've certainly enjoyed their console as well.
Protip: Delete all the RROD X360's and YLOD PS3's and the sales gap between the PS3 and X360 will be even bigger (in favour of the PS3).

Biker19

Banned
I think alot of this has to do with the LEGS that CELL cpu had ...mid and to the end of PS3 developers really started harnessing that extra power more and Sony's tools probably are well matured by now. The PS3 really is shinning right now in terms of visuals but most importantly Sony's exclusives dwarf the Xbox 360. Again...this is one of the big reasons why I (long time xbox gamer) jumped ship and i am back on the PS bandwagon. PS4 next gen is going to be GLORIOUS!

I agree, I don't see a single Xbox 360 game that comes close to some PS3 exclusives graphically, such as "The Last of Us" (except for maybe Halo 4).

Protip: Delete all the RROD X360's and YLOD PS3's and the sales gap between the PS3 and X360 will be even bigger (in favour of the PS3).

Don't forget the year head start & Kinect with it's $500 million advertising. Those two reasons (as well as RROD) are why the Xbox 360 had been in second place for so long.

If I recall, the Xbox 360 was at something like 45+ million while PS3 was at something like 41+ million or 42+ million before Kinect was even released in November 2010.

Dukey

Banned

Protip: Do that and the attach-rate per console in favor of the Xbox 360 grows astronomically. Console holders make the most money off games sold for their console, first, second and third party. All you've done with your argument is put an exclamation point on MS's victory over Sony.

PS3 Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
 HW      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp     Oc-Dc     Ja-Mr      FY        LTD

FY06       -         -        1.7       1.8       3.5       3.5

FY07      0.7       1.3       4.9       2.2       9.1       12.6 

FY08      1.6       2.4       4.5       1.6       10.1      22.7 

FY09      1.1       3.2       6.5       2.2       13.0      35.7

FY10      2.4       3.5       6.3       2.1       14.3      50.0

FY11      1.8       3.7       6.5       1.9       13.9      63.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2, 2013                            80 M

360 Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6     11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7     20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1      13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0      9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2       -        -        -        -       79.4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2013                            80 M

Microsoft
This month, Xbox 360 reached 80 million consoles sold to retailers worldwide* and maintained its lead as the number one selling console in the U.S. in 2013.

PS3 --> 16.1 M ( April 1, 2012 - November 2, 2013 )

360 --> 12.2 M ( April 1, 2012 - September 30, 2013 )

gogosox8

When you've got an entire country that's so close-minded to foreign game design that it borders on xenophobia, that advantage will help you close a gap over time.

Japan isn't the reason they closed the gap, Europe is. Would also point out that some of the most popular games on the ps3 (Uncharted, The Last of US, Infamous, Killzone) are extremely western games so I don't get the close minded to game design talk.

Dahaka

It's over when the production ends. Wii's ended so if the PS3 or Xbox surpass 100 Mio they won at the end. Doubtful for the Xbox though.

RalchAC

I still think it has a chance of reaching 100 million, especially once it goes down to $199 and lower. Great comeback on the part of Sony, especially after all those articles early this gen that said the PS3 wouldn't survive beyond one year.

Well, there is an offer (at least in Spain) where de 12gb model costs 179€. And the Invizimals + 12gb PS3 is for 199.

The first is not a price drop but an offer, I dunno about the seconds. But it seems they can drop the price below that number.

Skeff

Yes quite. I'm going to believe Sony and MS over fans of either console. And regardless, it's a stupid metric to measure success. Revenue and marketshare is how you measure success, and Sony simply got decimated on both counts this gen.

This. Creatively a great gen for Sony. Financially nothing short of a disaster. One that continues now.

I wasn't going to comment on this but since you also imitated the Protip: post, you're being incredibly snarky and for some reason talking about attach rate in a consoles shipped/sold thread, I should probably point out that by starting your sentence with Yes quite, it doesn't actually oppose my not quite but in fact agrees with it. Close but not quite right.

Well, there is an offer (at least in Spain) where de 12gb model costs 179€. And the Invizimals + 12gb PS3 is for 199.

The first is not a price drop but an offer, I dunno about the seconds. But it seems they can drop the price below that number.

Boxing day sales 2012 you could purchase a PS3 12gb for ~£100 at Tesco in the UK, So I'm sure there will be continued price drops and offers.

Microsoft got a boost from the millions of people who didn't bother sending their RRoD-ed X360 back (again) for repairs but rather just bought another one (and, in some cases, yet another one after that). Truly big PS3 issues have only started appearing recently, with games pushing the first version to its breaking point.

Ha Ha that's a good one

BigDug13

Ha Ha that's a good one

What's funny about that? The amount of YLOD is much, much smaller than the amount of RROD on launch consoles from both brands. I still have a launch PS3.

But to be fair, my 360 never "died", I just felt compelled to buy newer, quieter models that had the wifi and HDMI that was already standard on the PS3.

lefantome

Are we counting consoles sold not shipments right?

Because ps3 was at 77 millions in february
http://allthingsd.com/20130221/seve...ck-tretton-following-the-playstation-4-event/

And we know from the last financial results that ps3 shipped way more than 3 millions from february 21 to date.(source the previous neogaf thread)

I guess ps3 shipments are between 81 and 82 millions.

Xbox 360 shipped 79.4 millions at the end of september. They reached 80 millions some weeks later. (Source microsoft lat quarter results)

Ps3 has surpassed xbox 360 some months ago imho.

I'm from the ipad, sorry that I can't give you the sources directly.

Skeff

Are we counting consoles sold not shipments right?

Because ps3 was at 77 millions in february
http://allthingsd.com/20130221/seve...ck-tretton-following-the-playstation-4-event/

And we know from the last financial results that ps3 shipped way more than 3 millions from february 21 to date.(source the previous neogaf thread)

I guess ps3 shipments are between 81 and 82 millions.

Xbox 360 shipped 79.4 millions at the end of september. They reached 80 millions some weeks later. (Source microsoft lat quarter results)

Ps3 has surpassed xbox 360 some months ago imho.

I'm from the ipad, sorry that I can't give you the sources directly.

So, your saying 80 million PS3 sold and 80 million xb360 shipped makes the most sense from all of the information we have?

Nikodemos

Ha Ha that's a good one
What, haven't you seen the many topics about "My PS3 died and I live to tell the tale" after TLoU (I think this was the game responsible) was released? Or the fact that it was such a big issue that it made a round of news on several major games reporting sites?

The YLOD issue was smaller and quickly fixed, by comparison.

lefantome

So, your saying 80 million PS3 sold and 80 million xb360 shipped makes the most sense from all of the information we have?

Yes, and that's data coming directly from sony.

I have no idea of why their marketing dept should announce 80 millions sales after xbox 360 when they can claim more though.

Microsoft waited 2 weeks. In that timeframe, to reach 80 millions they should have shipped 600k 360s.

snap0212

Well wouldn't ps3 win by default as it came out a year after the 360 and still managed 80million this close to the 360?
I think that depends on how you define '"winning".

Sony has been able to sell about as much consoles in a shorter time frame so that's a win for them. However, we also shouldn't forget where Sony was before this generation started. They were king and there was no one who could touch them. Then came Microsoft and basically took a whole bunch of people that probably owned a PS2 but decided to go for the Xbox 360 instead of the PS3. While I think the PS3 numbers are definitely impressive and good for Sony, I also think that we shouldn't forget just how much Microsoft has done. I remember being kind of embarrassed for Sony when they launched the PS3, to be honest. They came out late and with less features.

They've been able to make up for these things in recent years, especially by having an excellent exclusive lineup, but that still doesn't change the fact that I (in the beginning) Sony just wasn't doing that well. I expected more from them and it was especially bad in the beginning. The operating system was a mess, the store was terrible, there was no in-game XMB and whatnot. I'm really happy that Microsoft has done well last/this generation because it made Sony realize that they're going to have to work hard and compete to sell consoles and games.

Edit: Microsoft obviously had problems too and they didn't handle them well either. I think Microsoft's big win was that they started out with a solid OS that had various features in it; features Sony couldn't match. People fell in love with these features and Xbox was the only console where they could get them so they just paid for Xbox Live Gold and bought new consoles when their old ones died.

MS announced the 75M mark, not the 80M.
And the generation doesn't end until they stop manufacturing

This argument always bothers me. Yes these titles did well, but they did like a tiny, tiny fraction of how well they did worldwide relative to market share. Yes western titles are doing better than they were doing years ago, but the size of them relative to the rest of the world in Japan is miniscule.

Western titles are certainky getting much more popular there with BF, COD, GTA, TLoU ect however you must see that Japan has never really rewarded those genres. If you look at the genres that did well in Japan its mainly platforming and jrpgs. You have winning eleven but thats declined a lot recently and FIFA is gaining.

Its clear the games the West make right now are just not that appealing to them and the same can be said form our standpoint in that apart form the big brand names the smaller Japanese games don't really appeal to the wetsern gaming audience as well. The only difference are the sales. A big JP title would do 3-4 million here whereas there its 500k. That makes sense though since getting 1 million sales in Japan is a massive feat in itself.

Does Sony have anything major coming to PS3 after GT6?

Persona 5
Drakengard
FFX HD
KH 2.5 HD remix
Destiny
EA sports titles
MLB
Dark Souls 2

Top Bottom