• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide PlayStation 3 sales reach 80 million

EGM1966

Amazing how they turned it around. Given long tail of PS2 in the more emerging markets I'm actually seeing PS3 has a chance to finish above Wii worldwide now although it'll probably still be a stretch.

360 did amazing too considering Xbox sales but MS just doesn't have the right worldwide presence to give it a long tail and I suspect it won't be able to match the PS3 lifetime (i.e. when they go out of production). It'll still close the gap with Wii further though, and it looks like all three consoles will end up a lot closer in total sales than anyone would have thought.

Funnily enough you can even spin a "win" for each consle too:

• Wii of course rushed to 1st place and is still there even if it died out way before the others
  • 360 did great and built a lead over PS3 that kept it in second place for what most people will count as the gen or the main part of the gen
  • PS3 came back and looks set to end in 2nd or even 1st place and time adjusted it really did outsell 360 in terms of average weekly sales

Bundy

Banned
Protip: Do that and the attach-rate per console in favor of the Xbox 360 grows astronomically. Console holders make the most money off games sold for their console, first, second and third party. All you've done with your argument is put an exclamation point on MS's victory over Sony.
Doesn't change the fact that the PS3 sold more -> to more people.
Which is the reason why MS is in third place, this gen.

Amazing how they turned it around. Given long tail of PS2 in the more emerging markets I'm actually seeing PS3 has a chance to finish above Wii worldwide now although it'll probably still be a stretch.

360 did amazing too considering Xbox sales but MS just doesn't have the right worldwide presence to give it a long tail and I suspect it won't be able to match the PS3 lifetime (i.e. when they go out of production). It'll still close the gap with Wii further though, and it looks like all three consoles will end up a lot closer in total sales than anyone would have thought.

Funnily enough you can even spin a "win" for each consle too:

• Wii of course rushed to 1st place and is still there even if it died out way before the others
  • 360 did great and built a lead over PS3 that kept it in second place for what most people will count as the gen or the main part of the gen
  • PS3 came back and looks set to end in 2nd or even 1st place and time adjusted it really did outsell 360 in terms of average weekly sales

so, is this post wrong?

PS3 Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
 HW      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp     Oc-Dc     Ja-Mr      FY        LTD

FY06       -         -        1.7       1.8       3.5       3.5

FY07      0.7       1.3       4.9       2.2       9.1       12.6 

FY08      1.6       2.4       4.5       1.6       10.1      22.7 

FY09      1.1       3.2       6.5       2.2       13.0      35.7

FY10      2.4       3.5       6.3       2.1       14.3      50.0

FY11      1.8       3.7       6.5       1.9       13.9      63.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2, 2013                            80 M

360 Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6     11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7     20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1      13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0      9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2       -        -        -        -       79.4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2013                            80 M

Microsoft

wizzbang

Banned
Hmm, so Xbox 360 80M as at 17th October 2013.

PS3 80M as at 2nd November 2013.

But over those amounts by an unknown amount.

I'm sorry but this is all bullshit.
The failure rate on the first 5 million Xbox 360's was so fucking abysmal I would be surprised if more than 20% of them still worked.
Now I'm not going to claim every launch PS3 still works but the fact is the first near 2 years of Xbox 360's were an abortion. I'm not even exagerating here, MANY people had problems with multiple consoles.

I would be quite comfortable with at least a 2 to 3% "penalty" against Microsoft in a console sales count.

EDiT: This post isn't specifically aimed at the due I'm replying to. This is a general "hang the fuck on, MS's figure needs at least a small handicap / penalty applied to it"

Brilliant recovery for Sony, and at one point it looked like MS would clean up this generation.

Kinect and Sony's first party strategy switched it completely, and this is the reason we have a £350 videogame console that is 50% more powerful that any of it's rivals!

Yes, this thread is for the PS3 surpassing 80 million units in sales in the year 2013. His numbers do not include 2013.

has Sony disclosed the exact numbers? I'm just saying that thay might be even when many people and "sources" were reporting PS3 outsold 360 several months back, and after reading this PR statement I'm not confident about that

Takao

Banned
has Sony disclosed the exact numbers? I'm just saying that thay might be even when many people and "sources" were reporting PS3 outsold 360 several months back, and after reading this PR statement I'm not confident about that

Sony has hidden their numbers for a while (which is likely why he's missing the latter PS3 figures) by bundling them with the PS2's. That was probably provoked by poor Vita sales which had them bundle that with PSP's. By assuming the PS2 isn't pushing much people believe it out shipped the 360 a while ago.

EGM1966

so, is this post wrong?

Don't think so. He's just showing clear numbers for PS3/360 known. PS3 numbers became unclear after a certain point as they were reported alongside PS2 as a total IIRC.

So he's just showing the PS3 numbers up to a point then jumping at the bottom to show the latest announced total.

Or am I missing the point?

Over 80 million you say? No exact numbers?

Hmmm... I'm afraid until I see a bit more actual evidence showing otherwise I'll still be counting the PS3 in second place.

Come at me Xbros.

I'm sorry but this is all bullshit.
The failure rate on the first 5 million Xbox 360's was so fucking abysmal I would be surprised if more than 20% of them still worked.
Now I'm not going to claim every launch PS3 still works but the fact is the first near 2 years of Xbox 360's were an abortion. I'm not even exagerating here, MANY people had problems with multiple consoles.

I would be quite comfortable with at least a 2 to 3% "penalty" against Microsoft in a console sales count.

EDiT: This post isn't specifically aimed at the due I'm replying to. This is a general "hang the fuck on, MS's figure needs at least a small handicap / penalty applied to it"

1) it's probably the first 10 million consoles

2) Refurb systems are not counted as sales.

3 PS3 had issues too. Had to pay Sony $190 to get my launch system fixed.

4) penalty? Are you that invested in this?

5) Sony has sold a little more than half of the units of the previous console and sine the console market expanded significantly their loss of marketshare is considered a huge failure, hence the management shakeup a couple years ago.

6) At least it gets us a GOD tier PS4! :)

hesido

One curious thing, compare games sales to when there were 20 million PS3's around, and now games don't sell 4 times as many, do they. That's understandable, there's a thing called active user base, but I don't think games sell 2 times as many. Games sales seem to somewhat flatten after a threshold of console sales, but I'd like to hear if you have any knowledge on that.

redcrayon

Fair enough, though you didn't really post anything in opposition to the observable historical trend of western consumers - their their own cultural tastes, being open and curious to the ideas and art styles that came from Japan in the 80s and 90s through to today, while Japanese gamers, with their own tastes, have basically had a 'fuck you, we don't care, cater to us cause we refuse to entertain the notion of ideas that are different than our own.'

The difference being that Nintendo, Sega and then Sony had little viable Western competition in the console market when launching outside Japan in the 80s and then 90s, but MS launched Xbox 360 in Japan against a market used to 20 years of Japanese console and game design and an increasing focus on handhelds.

The equivalent would be if Nintendo and Sony had never previously seen success in the US, but tried to launch a console in the US 20 years after the first Xbox, Halo and CoD etc had sewn it up. It would be an uphill struggle.

Trying to set up a 'we bought your games in the 80s, buy ours now or your are racist!' argument is completely ridiculous considering the strength of the different players in the market at the time.

Yes. PS3 reached 80m on november 2nd.

Thats some pretty precise wording for somehing that is pretty murky. The PR only says that as of November 2, the PS3 has reached 80 million. This doesn't tell us much about when it hit that mark. Only that its at that mark as of this date. I don't think theyre legally allowed to lie if its below that mark so I'd reasonably guess that its somewhat above that but not anywhere near enough to claim 81 million.

allan-bh

Thats some pretty precise wording for somehing that is pretty murky. The PR only says that as of November 2, the PS3 has reached 80 million. This doesn't tell us much about when it hit that mark. Only that its at that mark as of this date. I don't think theyre legally allowed to lie if its below that mark so I'd reasonably guess that its somewhat above that but not anywhere near enough to claim 81 million.

Why say november 2 if hit 80 million before?

wizzbang

Banned
1) it's probably the first 10 million consoles

2) Refurb systems are not counted as sales.

3 PS3 had issues too. Had to pay Sony $190 to get my launch system fixed.

4) penalty? Are you that invested in this?

5) Sony has sold a little more than half of the units of the previous console and sine the console market expanded significantly their loss of marketshare is considered a huge failure, hence the management shakeup a couple years ago.

6) At least it gets us a GOD tier PS4! :)

None of what you said dismisses the fact that it seems extremely likely that Microsoft sold a substantial amount more consoles as "extra replacements" over Sony. The 360 was one of the biggest hardware fuckups in a long time. There are many stories of people having more than 3 die for example.

lefantome

That's interesting:

Code:
 PS3
HW      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp     Oc-Dc     Ja-Mr      FY        LTD

FY13      1.1       2.0        -         -        [B]3.1[/B]

Code:
 FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      [B]1.0[/B]      9.9      78.2

2013/14        [B]1.2[/B]       -        -        -        -       79.4

In the last 6 months PS3 900k more units than Xbox 360 but it wasn't enough to surpass 360 despite the fact that there was a small gap between the two before the 2012 Holidays.

Did the 360 sell a lot better during the past holidays? if so was it caused by its lower price?

Goodlife

Brilliant recovery for Sony, and at one point it looked like MS would clean up this generation.

Kinect and Sony's first party strategy switched it completely, and this is the reason we have a £350 videogame console that is 50% more powerful that any of it's rivals!

When????

Nikodemos

And the Wii is going to add no sales?
Dunno. The Wii Mini is reasonably decent value, but I see a lot of 2nd-hand Wiis (with many accessories) being sold for low prices. And you get full Gamecube compatibility with the OG Wii (though how much that matters is debatable).

Hindle

Banned
The current state of Sony makes this a rather small victory really.

Edit. I wouldn't actually call it a victory come to think of it.

EagleEyes

I'm sure glad I don't listen to armchair internet analysts on gaming forums lol. I was told that the PS3 already passed the 360 last holiday and easily had the lead as of the beginning of this year. The PS3 has already been out 7 years and its sales are declining rapidly much like the 360 so I find it hard to evision that either one is gonna muster enough sales to pass the Wii.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wonder if between them they can reach a 160 million market again this coming generation, probably skewed a lot more in PS4 favour though at this rate.

This being a market Nintendo threw in the towel on.

Om3ga

Microsoft got a boost from the millions of people who didn't bother sending their RRoD-ed X360 back (again) for repairs but rather just bought another one (and, in some cases, yet another one after that). Truly big PS3 issues have only started appearing recently, with games pushing the first version to its breaking point.
Reminds me of the people saying PS2 only sold so many units because of the Disc Read Errors and horrible failure rate of launch PS2's. We can then also attribute PS3's high sales to the Yellow Light of Death. Regardless people loved the console enough to buy another one.

Considering the PS3 launched at a much higher price point and launched a year behind the 360. That's pretty impressive to be only a month or so behind them in sales. They might just surpass them next quarter.

People aren't talking about refurbs. They're talking about new Xbox360s sold to owners who said "fuck this shit" after already sending their launch units back to MS for repair thrice.

How many people do you think that is? 5 million? 10 million? That would be crazy brand loyalty!

My larger point being, that there is no consolation prize for Sony. Their marketshare plummeted and in any business that's an issue hence the management shake up. Nintendo increased theirs 5 fold and MS' doubled; that's the hard facts. The positive is that the slide has stopped and they are poised to do very well with this new generation.

Nikodemos

How many people do you think that is? 5 million? 10 million? That would be crazy brand loyalty!
People on this board routinely talked about going through 3 or 4 360s.

My larger point being, that there is no consolation prize for Sony. Their marketshare plummeted and in any business that's an issue hence the management shake up. Nintendo increased theirs 5 fold and MS' doubled; that's the hard facts. The positive is that the slide has stopped and they are poised to do very well with this new generation.
This is very true. Though I'd say the fall was somewhat necessary, in order to deflate the assorted heads of 2005-era Sony. Humble and hungry Sony that created the PS4 would've never existed otherwise.

I'm sure glad I don't listen to armchair internet analysts on gaming forums lol. I was told that the PS3 already passed the 360 last holiday and easily had the lead as of the beginning of this year. The PS3 has already been out 7 years and its sales are declining rapidly much like the 360 so I find it hard to evision that either one is gonna muster enough sales to pass the Wii.

Out 7 years and it still hasnt hit a mass market price point. PS2 sold the vast majority of its stock at a sub $200 price point. Over a third at about $129.

Both Xbox 360 and PS3 have a ways to go as far as price reductions and both will more than likely pass the discontinued Wii.

I didn't say they HAD to. Their closed-mindedness certainly aligns with their isolationist views and closed immigration policy to create a strong picture of a culture that is fearful and close-minded to anything from the outside world.

Did Japan refuse you a visa or something?

Skeff

So the difference (in units, not percentages) in Europe is bigger than on Japan?

How wide the gap is there?

Well over 30 million PS3's back in 2012, though that is technically PAL so includes Aus and NZ:

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/19/playstation-3-sales-hit-30-million-in-europe-3323531/

We know the 360 was at 13.7milion EU/PAL in mid 2011 when PS3 was at 14.7million:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33842/GameStop_Details_Europe_US_Installed_Base_For_Consoles.php

Apparently the PS3 has stretched it's legs since then a lot, I think the current estimates are around 20million vs. 32million as the PS3 began to pull away once the prices became much closer.

Though we don't have any up to date numbers for the 360.

Top Bottom