• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst genre of music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country wins for me.

Damn its just so bad, its like people finally discovered something that would annoy everyone except stupid people, then they amplified it and gave it a happy face in Dolly Parton

im also deeply hating the Uk's new crop of manufactured boy bands that play their own instruments.

It doesnt help that its all my sister listens to.

I want to hurt her

Volt

I don't think there's such a thing as "bad" genres..
So I'll rephrase "What genre are you sick and tired of ?"
And the answer would be : popular RnB and girl bands that rip off Destiny's Child (who of course ripped off a lot of older acts but oh well.. :))

Country fucking rocks. I don't know why so many music "elitists" hate it. Although, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.

Rap/Hip-Hop is my most hated, right next to Jazz, Motown, Gospel, most Blues, etc. However, those other genres are actually music, whereas Rap music in general has almost no musical qualities to it whatsoever. I listen to some Rap very rarely, usually for the pure comedic value of some of the lyrics (Eminem, Beastie Boys, Westside Connection, Ice Cube, Xzibit, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre).

FightyF

Banned
Happy Hardcore is doing better than ever.

An unsurprising response, considering my handle. :p

Electroclash is the worst IMO.

DJ Sl4m

MrPing1000 said:
Country wins for me.

Damn its just so bad, its like people finally discovered something that would annoy everyone except stupid people, then they amplified it and gave it a happy face in Dolly Parton

EXACTELY!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how you can hate blues, jazz, etc. then pimp some rock band. That's like saying you hate rap, then go listen to som Rage against the Machine.

Tre said:
I don't know how you can hate blues, jazz, etc. then pimp some rock band. That's like saying you hate rap, then go listen to som Rage against the Machine.

IMO, blues and jazz have nothing to do with modern rock. Any early similarities, and/or influences between them have been completely obliterated in the last 25 years.

"IMO, blues and jazz have nothing to do with modern rock. Any early similarities, and/or influences between them have been completely obliterated in the last 25 years."

Besides identical instrumental technique, same scales, same chord progressions, and same basic theory overall? :p

The only things that's changed is the use of some wonky effects and style of dress.

Well then, let's just owe everything ever accomplished by the guitar to the early players who arranged classical pieces to the guitar, most notably Segovia. He was really groundbreaking in making the guitar a viable instrument in the eyes of composers and muscians.

Rock is so far removed nowadays from blues and jazz, it's not even funny. I can absolutely state my hatred for blues and jazz, and my love of some rock bands. Mostly I like metal bands whose sound is derived more from classical arrangements than anything else.

And what does that have to do with our conversation at all? :p

Edit: "Rock is so far removed nowadays from blues and jazz, it's not even funny. I can absolutely state my hatred for blues and jazz, and my love of some rock bands. Mostly I like metal bands whose sound is derived more from classical arrangements than anything else."

Translation: I'm going to completely ignore what you just said and keep going in my unenlightened thoughts.

darscot

This whole new genre of marketed music. Shitty Pop I dunno what you call it but it sucks.
Then Country as I just don't get it.

Everything else is pretty much good to go.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nu-Metal, Country, and that really annoying genre...Gabber I think...maybe that should be bunched in with Nu-Metal. And I hate what MTV has done to punk. It's like some kinda pop/punk/emo bullshit now.

Tre said:
And what does that have to do with our conversation at all? :p

Edit: "Rock is so far removed nowadays from blues and jazz, it's not even funny. I can absolutely state my hatred for blues and jazz, and my love of some rock bands. Mostly I like metal bands whose sound is derived more from classical arrangements than anything else."

Translation: I'm going to completely ignore what you just said and keep going in my unenlightened thoughts.

It has everything to do with what we were talking about. And no, sir, I am not "unenlightened" with regard to the history of musical styles. Do not insult me like that. I did not insult you with such childish remarks.

Insertia

emo-rock is AWFUL.

ugh.
I want to ask these bands what they were thinking when writing the lyrics.

country sucks also.

Tre said:
Aye, no you didn't, but you entirely disregarded my post and then brought up an entirely irrelevant point.

Please, my point was completely relevant. You are linking rock to blues, and I am linking them both to the origin of music on the guitar in the modern era. Same chords, progessions, theory, technique, etc. All guitar based musical compositions derived from the earliest classical pieces arranged for guitar are decidedly dumbed down and derivative.

"All guitar based musical compositions derived from the earliest classical pieces arranged for guitar are decidedly dumbed down and derivative."

Erm...the blues scale surfaces how much in classical? Pentatonic scales for improvisation? Come on now, just because there's a guitar and notes doesn't mean it's derived from classical. If all music could be linked so vaguely, we could go all the way back to cavemen thumbing vines and slapping rocks.

Tre said:
If all music could be linked so vaguely, we could go all the way back to cavemen thumbing vines and slapping rocks.

Thank you. That was my point in the first place.

laughing-smiley-009.gif

Unfortunately, your point doesn't work with the blues/rock comparison, seeing as how they're damned near *identical*.

Your point is moot.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The really loud kind of metal, where people massacre their voices and instruments without any kind of melody whatsoever. That's not music to me, that's trying to get a message through. I hope, for their sake. :p

GG-Duo

EEG HKPop.

... and whatever style Love Inc. and Zero 7 are... zero-emotion electronic beats with some dumb bitch singing.
kinda like that Cher song, actually. "Do you beleeeeb in life after love? (after love)"

Tre said:
Unfortunately, your point doesn't work with the blues/rock comparison, seeing as how they're damned near *identical*.

Your point is moot.

Oh my God. Not this again.

They are not damned near identical. Please stop trying to defend blues; it's clear enough to me that you like that genre, and that's fine.

It's not an opinion thing, as much as I'm dumbfounded how you can hate one genre that's so tightly knitted from another. Just saying they're not strikingly similar doesn't make it so, btw.

Mumbles

Error: No, he's right, they really are very close, due to reasons he's already pointed out.

And my pick for worst kind of music: the screaming variety of heavy metal, followed by pop-laced country and rap. They somehow manage to be even more watered down and annoying than most pop stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom