• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Sapien] UK Ranks Second-Worst For Mental Wellbeing In Global Survey

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-ranks-second-worst-for-mental-wellbeing-in-global-survey-5205803

According to the 2024 Global Mind Project, British people rank among the most unhappy individuals worldwide.​

Sapien Labs, a research group, conducted their annual "Mental State of the World" survey, questioning over 400,000 people in 71 countries. The results show a lack of recovery from the pandemic's initial mental health toll.

The UK scored a low 49 on a Mental Health Quotient (MHQ) scale ranging from -100 (very dissatisfied) to 200. This placed them just above Uzbekistan, the lowest-scoring country. Notably, 35% of Britons reported feeling "distressed."

The happiest places in the world, the Dominican Republic, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania, are all non-English-speaking developing countries that definitely know how to enjoy life better than many in the developed countries.

Australia, Tajikistan, Brazil, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and Uzbekistan are ranked the worst on the list.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
clapping michael GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm not surprised. Youtube vlogger Bald and Bankrupt made a career for himself with videos showcasing the decline of countries from the former Soviet Union. Now he's making videos about the UK and the content is perhaps even more depressive.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Am I reading this right? Why is Italy chill like that? Just curious, kinda surprised.
Good weather good food. Good living style. Cheaper housing workers rights. Cheap travel. Better social rights I’m guessing and a more of a focus on mental health etc. Quality of life focus.

The uk is meh for weather except for a few weeks or months of hot weather. (Good luck sleeping)

housing costs are through the roof. But also so Is travel.

Food is cheaper but it’s more mass farmed not seasonal so it tastes meh.

Mental health in the uk is good but the waiting list can be long.

Mind UK is a great place to get help. I should know I used them before. Not ashamed to admit.

Also the no politics rule but the tories have gutted the country. Fuck them

Then finally I think the nation is realising about Brexit.

plus you basically have no quality of life balance in the uk. Seriously it’s travel to work then time off use it to shop join the masses.
Zero hours contracts.

Fuck all money in towns except London

But toby carvery/gregs/pizza express, curry houses and Nando's are great. So every cloud I guess

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

UK here, I'm not white English but feel like being born here was like winning the lottery. Life feels easy all things considered in comparison to a lot of places abroad.

Some random thoughts behind why there may be excessive individual misery here:

-Unaffordable homes and sky high rents: this is definitely not UK specific but it is pretty bad here. Rents are so high for even small homes £1-2k per month. There are affordable area's in city's further north but these may not be the most beautiful or safest places. Food prices are still pretty good, ultility costs aren't too bad and most jobs now pay £11.50-12 p/h minimum, which is a lot higher than most countires. But it's the rent and home costs that's are shocking here and stretch a lot of people. The solutions are, either live with your parents and save, live with a partner who wants to save, inherit money or get a high paying job.

-Sky high immigration: this ties into the above and other issues. Straining public services/infastructure, low trust amongst communities when the ethnic groups are so varied, rapid change of the surroundings. Society is clearly not singing of the same hymn sheet like in a lot of other countries.

-Family strucure: I am ethnically Indian and sikh. The family structure is very tight and involved (positives and negatives to this), but overall the family/community spirit is strong and endures. Most of my friends are white English and some grew up in a single parent household and some don't spend any time with their family outside of their immediate parents. I think not having that kind of family structure/support growing up can be challenging for a young person. You can see a lot of the countries ranking higher tend to have a big focus on community life, but it's mixed here. Some have it and some don't.

-Kindess culture and mental health obsession: the luvvie/HR/media class are essentially trying to simplify the solution for all these problems by making people fixate on being kind towards others or mindful of your mental health. It's a whole load of nonsense.

-Assault on British history: It's pretty clear to me that British history is seen as an embarassement by the ruling classes. All the great and very important things Britain has brought to the world aren't taught, aren't celebrated and are unknown. This country has so much to offer if you're aware about these things. I lived in Japan for a while and it was the opposite there. I remember my students were very prideful from a young age about their heritage. That's definitely not the case here. I think this makes a big difference to how connected you feel to the place you live.

-Government: a lot of people hate the Tories, a lot of people hate Labour as they're the same empty liberal shit. There are many people politically homeless that feel lost. Successive governments over the past 30-40 years have been complicit in ruining society with liberal reforms. The police is weaker, crime feels like it pays as people know they can get away with it. Millions of people from around the world have been imported for cheap labour and put ahead of the native people and those that helped rebuild the country after the war. Just a ton of shortermism and shortcuts being made all the time and now the cracks are becoming clearer to see. It just doesn't feel like a country designed to benefit British society and the people. GDP matters more than culture to them.

The next 10-30 years are going to be very interesting here. I suspect there will be a lot more discontent even with the government soon about to change. Eventually I think there will be a push towards some new extreme on the political front that's even greater than Brexit.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So replacing the dreary weather, obese spray-tanned women, low median income et al with the polar opposite across the board doesn’t move the needle much.

Maybe you guys need to start driving on the right side of the road!
I do when I'm drunk!

Honestly when I've been the States, and come more clement parts of Europe the biggest mood booster to me is the weather and light.

Getting up when it's mild and bright, then finishing the day and it being warm enough to go for a walk or along the beach etc is so much better.

Wildebeest

Just take high strength vitamin d tablets. Most of you nerds in countries with better climates never go outside anyway, so only see Mr Sun filtered through glass and don't get the benefit.

Artoris

Gold Member
I'm not surprised. Youtube vlogger Bald and Bankrupt made a career for himself with videos showcasing the decline of countries from the former Soviet Union. Now he's making videos about the UK and the content is perhaps even more depressive.

10 pounds for a biscuit

Red5

Liberal countries tend to be very unhappy.

What liberal? UK had mostly conservative leadership since Winston Churchill. Heck the continued decline of the UK's industrial output is because of Thatcher's conservative government which busted unions, closed down mines and factories, one of the most narrow minded decisions in the history of the UK.

Fake

What liberal? UK had mostly conservative leadership since Winston Churchill. Heck the continued decline of the UK's industrial output is because of Thatcher's conservative government which busted unions, closed down mines and factories, one of the most narrow minded decisions in the history of the UK.

UK is very liberal those days.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm not surprised.

In 2019 I was at my lowest point. To cut a long story short, I was having daily panic attacks and was so depressed I seriously considered killing myself.

The "help" I received from the NHS was nonexistent. The GPs spent 10 mins with me and decided to load me up on medication, which actually made the situation worse. I attempted to get therapy via the NHS, but it was impossible to book. I had one session and the person conducting the "therapy" made me feel like it was my fault I was like this. I couldn't get another session for eight weeks and just gave up.

I had to get help from family and friends to defeat my black dog. If I didn't have them and trusted the NHS then I would have killed myself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Conservative in name only post-Blair. Mostly standard pan-European social democracy policy wise. The differences between Labour and the Tories economically are hardly poles apart these days.

Artoris

Gold Member
I'm not surprised.

In 2019 I was at my lowest point. To cut a long story short, I was having daily panic attacks and was so depressed I seriously considered killing myself.

The "help" I received from the NHS was nonexistent. The GPs spent 10 mins with me and decided to load me up on medication, which actually made the situation worse. I attempted to get therapy via the NHS, but it was impossible to book. I had one session and the person conducting the "therapy" made me feel like it was my fault I was like this. I couldn't get another session for eight weeks and just gave up.

I had to get help from family and friends to defeat my black dog. If I didn't have them and trusted the NHS then I would have killed myself.
I have been there myself

If you need help use accident and emergency you you may get help from a real doctor there or use NHS servises DO NOT expect anything from GPs they just make money

Jinzo Prime

The last liberal government in the UK ended in 1915.

Your "Tories" are completely unrecognizable as a right wing party by anyone outside the UK. Rishi Sundak would shit his pants in fear if he met a real conservative.

Ownage

Source: https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-ranks-second-worst-for-mental-wellbeing-in-global-survey-5205803

According to the 2024 Global Mind Project, British people rank among the most unhappy individuals worldwide.​

Sapien Labs, a research group, conducted their annual "Mental State of the World" survey, questioning over 400,000 people in 71 countries. The results show a lack of recovery from the pandemic's initial mental health toll.

The UK scored a low 49 on a Mental Health Quotient (MHQ) scale ranging from -100 (very dissatisfied) to 200. This placed them just above Uzbekistan, the lowest-scoring country. Notably, 35% of Britons reported feeling "distressed."

The happiest places in the world, the Dominican Republic, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania, are all non-English-speaking developing countries that definitely know how to enjoy life better than many in the developed countries.

Australia, Tajikistan, Brazil, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and Uzbekistan are ranked the worst on the list.
Two Commonwealth nations top the list. Interesting. Canada should be on the Top-5 too.

YCoCg

Liberal countries tend to be very unhappy.
The Conservatives, the right leaning party, have been in charge since 2010, being "liberal" isn't why people in the UK are unhappy, it's more that our government is just robbing us blind, British people pay the most for utilities like gas and electric because the regulators allowed companies to raise prices and used the current wars as an excuse but funnily enough prices have not dropped since. Over the past 4 years I'm paying over double, nearly triple on some bills and it fucking sucks.

Facism

Trash country getting worse. Everyone's a prick, public services are shit and expensive, civil engineering projects take forever, NHS is full of people who couldn't give a shit, public infrastructure collapsing, flooding everywhere, water companies pumping raw shyte into our rivers and coasts 24/7.

NHS is especially miserable. My bro broke his leg, damaged his ligaments in the ankle, and the care he got was borderline negligent. Only the surgeon and theatre team did their jobs. Doctor? Couldn't give a shit, wanted you out the room in 5 mins, constantly gave the wrong advice. Nurses? Too tired to care. Physio? lmao absolutely stealing her fucking living, that one. Didn't even look at the leg/ankle and just handed us a printout with the sort of stretches you do before going for a fucking jog.

YCoCg

-Government: a lot of people hate the Tories, a lot of people hate Labour as they're the same empty liberal shit. There are many people politically homeless that feel lost. Successive governments over the past 30-40 years have been complicit in ruining society with liberal reforms. The police is weaker, crime feels like it pays as people know they can get away with it. Millions of people from around the world have been imported for cheap labour and put ahead of the native people and those that helped rebuild the country after the war. Just a ton of shortermism and shortcuts being made all the time and now the cracks are becoming clearer to see. It just doesn't feel like a country designed to benefit British society and the people. GDP matters more than culture to them.
This is a huge reason, right now Tory and Labour feels like the same damn thing in different fonts and then we have the culture war bullshit which coming from Conservatives is just hilarious, they keep trying to gaslight "but immigration will get worse under Labour!" When they've been in power for over a decade, we're given Brexit which they said would allow us to control our borders, etc, and then done jack shit about it. These parties just exist at the moment to benefit their mates, everything from contracts, regulations, etc are all linked by doners or peers in some way.

cormack12

Gold Member
NHS is shocking. They are reporting waiting lists are falling. But that's not cos people are getting treated.

It's because they are trying to find duplicate entries and merge them, and taking everyone off who doesn't reply to a text asking if they still want the appointment

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is a huge reason, right now Tory and Labour feels like the same damn thing in different fonts and then we have the culture war bullshit which coming from Conservatives is just hilarious, they keep trying to gaslight "but immigration will get worse under Labour!" When they've been in power for over a decade, we're given Brexit which they said would allow us to control our borders, etc, and then done jack shit about it. These parties just exist at the moment to benefit their mates, everything from contracts, regulations, etc are all linked by doners or peers in some way.

People are sick of opposition parties that are two cheeks on the same arse. That's why populist parties are creating waves in many European parties, that's how an outsider like George Galloway won his seat in parliament. The mainstream parties and the MSM will do everything they can to make these outsiders look bad and it's hilarious when they make a fool of themselves when those attempts fail.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Nice survey having Venezuela - a failed state with massive emigration - at 83.
Good point, after now seeing that I struggle to accept the validity of this study. That place is a real shithole and you have millions who are leaving or have already left.

So how how can it possibly have better 'mental wellbeing' (whatever that means anyway) than so many more stable countries.

Cyberpunkd

No pity whatsoever. It’s Plymouth, Blackpool and all the other dumpster towns that voted for Brexit. Get fucked.

Cyberpunkd

Good point, after now seeing that I struggle to accept the validity of this study. That place is a real shithole and you have millions who are leaving or have already left.

So how how can it possibly have better 'mental wellbeing' (whatever that means anyway) than so many more stable countries.
I guess they probably try to say that they have a huge family support, which allows people to mentally be more positive even though everything is going to shit.

Sonik

Neoliberalism annihilated the middle class with its economic war against it and now its well-marketed woke abomination they use to keep the population distracted and divided has made everyone miserable. Neoliberalism is a cancer that kills societies and EU is following the exact same pattern as US and UK for a while now

Last edited:

Fake

what a ridiculous, spurious statement.

the UK is not liberal and has been under conservative rule for 14 years.

LOL what? Being rulled by conservative doesn't mean he isn't lol.

Is like saying Brazil is left because there are left in the power right now. UK is pretty liberal.

Not everything is about politics mind you. You guys need to calm down a little bit about politics news.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Not everything is about politics mind you.
Literally most shitty things in this country are because of political choices since 2019, we've had multiple different leaders since then and only ONE was actually chosen, shit one crashed the economy in the little time they had resulting in rent and mortgage prices to jump up catching people off guard. Don't come at us from an outsider view trying to blame this on liberals/the left/woke bs, this is strictly down to current politics in this country not representing the common man anymore but hey at least British Gas shareholders made mega profits!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Geez. People living in Ukraine have been at war with Russia for 2 years and even they are mentally better.

UK needs to get back to having balls. Seems every time you read an article the government and police roll over like pansies letting anything happen. For peace of mind as well as not be seen as pushovers, you UK (Ireland ranks low in the charts too) might want to get back to having an image of being tough soccer fans and dock workers, while also being witty and chill. You can be both and be proud of it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Around the time Brexit was happening some 8 years ago, i remember watching a lot of news stories about food banks in the UK. Lines stretched out for blocks of regular people coming to food banks to get free food because they couldnt afford it. And no, this wasnt just some poor immigrants, this was mostly white neighborhoods in many different parts of the UK. The cities are mostly fine, but the countryside and smaller towns are living in abject poverty.

This isnt the british just becoming snowflakes and weak all of a sudden, but when you simply cannot afford food in a first world country, and have to go begging, your mental health will take a hit.

The economic policies of the UK under both Tory and Labour leaderships have led to this. their cities are mostly thriving but the rest of the country has been struggling for a while now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Around the time Brexit was happening some 8 years ago, i remember watching a lot of news stories about food banks in the UK. Lines stretched out for blocks of regular people coming to food banks to get free food because they couldnt afford it. And no, this wasnt just some poor immigrants, this was mostly white neighborhoods in many different parts of the UK. The cities are mostly fine, but the countryside and smaller towns are living in abject poverty.

This isnt the british just becoming snowflakes and weak all of a sudden, but when you simply cannot afford food in a first world country, and have to go begging, your mental health will take a hit.

The economic policies of the UK under both Tory and Labour leaderships have led to this. their cities are mostly thriving but the rest of the country has been struggling for a while now.
Were the people unable to afford food due to UK prices shooting up? Or more about loss of jobs, so they got no income? Or both?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In all seriousness, I talk with a lot of Brits and spend a good deal of time in the UK. There seems to be little in the way of real opportunity unless you’re from a wealthy family and/or go to Oxbridge. Or at least that’s how everyone sees it. People want to do something meaningful and succeed, but most seem to be trapped in low wage jobs with little room for growth. Home ownership is out of reach. The NHS is a mess. Everywhere outside of London is economically depressed.

Top Bottom