• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German citizenship is ranked the most valuable in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Not only do Germans have the most powerful passports in the world, they also have the highest quality of citizenship, according to a new report. The consultancy Henley & Partners’ first Quality of Nationality Index (QNI) ranks the value of 161 nations’ citizenship on a scale of 0 to 100%.

The top spot out of 161 nations went to Germany. The country scored high for its stability, the health, education and standard of living enjoyed by its citizens, and the ease with which Germans can move, work and settle in other stable economies.

The report takes into account “internal factors” such as a country’s human development (measured using the UNDP Human Development Index that ranks countries on health, education and standard of living); its economic strength (a country’s GDP measured at purchasing power, as determined by the IMF); and its levels of peace and stability (based on figures from the annual Global Peace Index).

The “external factors” it considered include the freedom of both traveling to and settling in a country. The QNI also used measures of “diversity of travel freedom”—that is, the number of destinations that a nation’s citizens can travel to without needing a visa. (This was the ranking that determined the German passport was the world’s most powerful.)

European nations dominated the top 20 spots. The UK came in at 11th place—and the consultancy estimates that the country would fall to 30th place if it leaves the EU. The thinking behind this is its citizens would have less freedom of movement to other countries if the UK leaves the bloc.

In 28th place is the United States. It ranked highly for its economic strength and levels of human development, but fell down on peace and stability, owing to the country’s mid-level ranking on the Global Peace Index, which is heavily affected by the country’s record on militarization and arms.

http://qz.com/698645/german-citizenship-is-ranked-the-most-valuable-in-the-world/

rtx13n3l.jpg

The Lamp

Too bad German food is like something out of some pork-infested horror movie.

But on all other accounts, I think they're right. Because Germany is amazing to visit and at least they have other delicious cuisine there.

PillarEN

On that QNI site it's interesting that the 3 of the top 4 countries in terms of travel freedom are East Asian countries (Singapore, Japan, South Korea).

Where's the list?

Here's the top 50:

1 - Germany
2 - Denmark
3 - Finland
4 - Norway
5 - Iceland
5 - Sweden
6 - Austria
6 - Ireland
7 - France
8 - Switzerland
9 - Netherlands
10 - Belgium
11 - United Kingdom
12 - Liechtenstein
13 - Spain
13 - Italy
14 - Luxembourg
15 - Czech Republic
16 - Portugal
17 - Slovenia
18 - Hungary
19 - Slovakia
20 - Estonia
20 - Poland
21 - Greece
22 - Malta
23 - Lithuania
24 - Latvia
25 - Cyprus
26 - Romania
27 - Bulgaria
28 - United States
29 - Croatia
30 - Japan
31 - New Zealand
32 - Canada
33 - Australia
34 - Chile
35 - Singapore
36 - Korea (Republic...
37 - Argentina
38 - Brazil
39 - San Marino
40 - Monaco
41 - Uruguay
42 - Andorra
43 - Brunei Darussal...
44 - Malaysia
45 - Hong Kong. Chin...
46 - Chinese Taipei ...
47 - Paraguay
48 - Bahamas
49 - Israel
50 - Mauritius

The website is actually pretty cool. https://www.nationalityindex.com/#

No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

orava

No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

European Union is a hell of a drug.

Its a bit biased because of this.

and the ease with which _________ can move, work and settle in other stable economies

US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand are usually destinations for labor, not exporters of labor and are physically isolated with usually just one other stable first world neighbor nation.

It's basic math, more countries to access equal better passport.

Thread title is a bit misleading though.

dsp

As a citizen of the United States, I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in most or all of those countries over my own.

massoluk

Banned
That EU advantage.

Would be it whoop-ass of epic proportion for US citizenshop if you count each of 50 US States as individual countries though?

oti

Banned
I'm planning on getting the German passport as an addition to my Greek one. I've looked into it, I fit the criteria and all but it costs money. I'm gonna save up and do it. I'm just worried the government will change the law because of the attacks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess Schengen free travel in Europe biases this ranking towards European countries.

Can't complete with 26 countries of free travel.

Canadians can't even go to the US without a passport now :p

Markoman

Sooo, do I hear 1.000.000,00$...anyone? Order now and you'll get a nice Bratwurst + mashed potatoes recipe on top of that for free!!!

That EU advantage.

Would be it whoop-ass of epic proportion for US citizenshop if you count each of 50 US States as individual countries though?

Not sure, what happens to you if you lose the ability to work and get really sick? How does free college sound to you?

What is 'Diversity of settlement freedom' and 'Weight of'settlement freedom'?

Diversity of settlement freedom: As no analogous source exists on global settlement freedom, the QNI provides the first and only such source worldwide. Data on the diversity of settlement freedom is gathered through extensive research and consultation with experts on the legal requirements of settlement throughout the world.

Settlement is considered possible if:
- An adult holder of a nationality is allowed to work or stay by independent means in another country for at least 360 days without having to obtain a visa or with visa on arrival
- Permission to work in that country is either not required or virtually automatic

Weight of settlement freedom is composed of the sum of countries’ weighted scores on human development and economic strength, which are each given 50% weight. It measures the actual quality of the countries and territories which a particular nationality allows you to settle in.

Most of Europe wins because of EU and stuff :p

Hypron

Mmmh... NZ citizenship ranking pretty badly on here. Not sure I can trust them though considering they can't even get the shape of the country right :p

That EU advantage.

That's silly though, what if you started counting the regions of each European country?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1472045740-capture.png

Mmmh... NZ citizenship ranking pretty badly on here. Not sure I can trust them though considering they can't even get the shape of the country right :p
FunFact: New Zealand is powered by a Super FX chip.

oti

Banned
Guys, the EU has an advantage here because of the ease of movement. That's an amazing diplomatic achievement and worth recognising. It doesn't take away from the ease of movement within the US. That's just as great. But it doesn't apply to this study. That's ok.

Also

As a citizen of the United States, I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in most or all of those countries over my own.

As a citizen of the United States, I think you're full of shit.

could we maybe not start the "I hate the US/I love the US" discussion again? Please?

The Lamp

Why the fuck are Bulgaria and Romania above the US? Clearly this list weighs ease of travel so heavily that it lets almost any European country best the USA.

Maedre

Banned
Why the fuck are Bulgaria and Romania above the US? Clearly this list weighs ease of travel so heavily that it lets almost any European country best the USA.

Because its nice to be born in a country like bulgaria and are able to move to germany or the netherlands and start a new life / business.

Because its nice to be born in a country like bulgaria and are able to move to germany or the netherlands and start a new life / business.
That sort of labor and brain drain can't be good in the long term for Bulgaria itself. That's partly why the EU is doomed unless it federalizes into a nation-state.

Luxembourg is like the 2nd wealthiest country in the world

Jobbs

Banned
I know this may take some time to sink in because it's so profound, but in Germany college is free. They want their citizens to be educated. They want a skilled workforce.

In the USA it's not like that. Unless you have affluent parents who pay for it, you have to go into years and years of debt to go to college.

The USA is a great place to live if you're born wealthy, a bad place to live (relatively speaking when compared against Europe or Canada etc) if you aren't.

Maedre

Banned
That sort of labor and brain drain can't be good in the long term for Bulgaria itself. That's partly why the EU is doomed unless it federalizes into a nation-state.

That was just an example. Its also nice to move freely between Austria and germany or france ot Spain or poland or....

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That is a pretty weird way to weigh citizenship. So you can move and work freely in the EU, but the US is almost as big and China is even bigger. But I can work in San Marino, yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom