• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German citizenship is ranked the most valuable in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrito

It's amusing that according to this list, the most valuable citizenships are those that allow you to not live and work in your country of citizenship. Way too many points are attributed to that factor, giving us Bulgaria in front of USA, AUS, NZ, etc.

Markoman

That sort of labor and brain drain can't be good in the long term for Bulgaria itself. That's partly why the EU is doomed unless it federalizes into a nation-state.

Nah, it's only partly true. German companies open sites in countries like Bulgaria and Romania because workforce and living is much cheaper there. This is a much greater issue
on national level where most workforce goes to the large cities.

Binabik15

Too bad German food is like something out of some pork-infested horror movie.

But on all other accounts, I think they're right. Because Germany is amazing to visit and at least they have other delicious cuisine there.

Thats why we stole the best parts of French, Turkish and Italien cuisine and plastered every street with restaurants and pizzerias. Rolleyesemoji.jpg

Fritz

This list was made for the good ol' G. Quality of living combined with bilateral strength. Social market economy, good global standing and focus on balanced diplomacy (strong ties to the US and Russia, several Arabic countries as well as Israel etc..), high avoidance of troop deployment if not humanitarian, strong cultural and economical exports, strong overall brand.

Maedre

Banned
This list was made for the good ol' G. Quality of living combined with bilateral strength. Social market economy, good global standing and focus on balanced diplomacy (strong ties to the US and Russia, several Arabic countries as well as Israel etc..), high avoidance of troop deployment if not humanitarian, strong cultural and economical exports, strong overall brand.

nailed it

numble

US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand are usually destinations for labor, not exporters of labor and are physically isolated with usually just one other stable first world neighbor nation.

Europe is a destination for labor. Japan does not really have much immigration.

I think most Americans would appreciate freedom of movement if it meant being able to move to a location with better public education and heath care.

faisal233

I know this may take some time to sink in because it's so profound, but in Germany college is free. They want their citizens to be educated. They want a skilled workforce.

In the USA it's not like that. Unless you have affluent parents who pay for it, you have to go into years and years of debt to go to college.

The USA is a great place to live if you're born wealthy, a bad place to live (relatively speaking when compared against Europe or Canada etc) if you aren't.

The US has a higher percentage of population that enroll and graduate college.

College isn't the reason why Germany has a strong economy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That sort of labor and brain drain can't be good in the long term for Bulgaria itself. That's partly why the EU is doomed unless it federalizes into a nation-state.
It's not that simple. Some countries have high unemployment they would like to reduce and others need workers for certain jobs. Countries with lower wages attract invesments and people who are well educated can try to make it whereever they want. Hopefully there's a braindrain balance at some point and who knows what'll happen decades down the line, but overall, most people don't see more freedom as being doomed.

Europe is a destination for labor. Japan does not really have much immigration.

I think most Americans would appreciate freedom of movement if it meant being able to move to a location with better public education and heath care.
Right. But if this data took the EU as a nation rather than each constituent nation separately the disparity between Europe and the rest of the Anglosphere and Japan would be smaller.

That's all that I'm trying to say. The EU's status as a loose confederacy rather than a federal republic gives it's member nations a bias.

2MF

No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

None taken. But I'm a citizen of Portugal and I'm able to travel in most of Europe without a passport, live and work almost anywhere in Europe without asking for permission (except to the company I want to work for). I can travel to a lot of countries without a visa (including the USA), and I can easily get visas for many others.

How is my situation worse than having a USA passport? The only thing that is harder for me is that I can't work in the US without a visa. Other than that it's better or the same in every way I can think of. I'm sure there are some small exceptions here and there, but that's the big picture I'm seeing.

I know this may take some time to sink in because it's so profound, but in Germany college is free. They want their citizens to be educated. They want a skilled workforce.

In the USA it's not like that. Unless you have affluent parents who pay for it, you have to go into years and years of debt to go to college.

The USA is a great place to live if you're born wealthy, a bad place to live (relatively speaking when compared against Europe or Canada etc) if you aren't.

That's all well and good, but how do they treat ethnicity? I'm used to a certain amount of bigotry in the US and willing to find work abroad as long as it's not some low wage grueling job they think I'm good for.

numble

Right. But if this data took the EU as a nation rather than each constituent nation separately the disparity between Europe and the rest of the Anglosphere and Japan would be smaller.

That's all that I'm trying to say. The EU's status as a loose confederacy rather than a federal republic gives it's member nations a bias.

It is not a bias, it just is a fact. If the US and TPP countries enacted freedom of movement, would that be giving it's member nations a bias?

numble

Yes, yes it would. Its not a bad thing, it just eschews statistics.

It does not eschew statistics. The model takes that freedom of movement into account. Why do you think these citizenships are less valuable than US citizenship? I personally weight a territorial tax system very heavily which would put US lower on the list.

Maedre

Banned
its relativly easy. Just look how many countrys you can visit with you passport. EU countrys and espacially germany are top in this scenario.

It does not eschew statistics. The model takes that freedom of movement into account. Why do you think these citizenships are less valuable than US citizenship? I personally weight a territorial tax system very heavily which would put US lower on the list.
I think it eschews because the EU has all of the hallmarks of being a nation but because they've got a weak central government it doesn't count.

If it took this into account it would probably end up like this:

1. European Union
2. Norway (iffy)
3. United Kingdom (maybe)
4. Liechtenstein (iffy)
5. United States
6. Japan
7. New Zealand
8. Canada
9. Australia

The EU is as much a nation as the US under the Articles of Confederation was.

Fritz

I think it eschews because the EU has all of the hallmarks of being a nation but because they've got a weak central government it doesn't count.

If it took this into account it would probably end up like this:

1. European Union
2. Norway (iffy)
3. United Kingdom (maybe)
4. Liechtenstein (iffy)
5. United States
6. Japan
7. New Zealand
8. Canada
9. Australia

The EU is as much a nation as the US under the Articles of Confederation was.

Then I want an accumulated EU Olympic medal score too!

bjaelke

Then I want an accumulated EU Olympic medal score too!

Cqdio-1XgAAitsS.jpg

https://twitter.com/Europarl_EN/status/767691960920440832

Hoo-doo

Banned
No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

I'd be really interested in how much you even know about most of the countries you just named, or how many you actually visited.

venomenon

Love that there's not a SINGLE post like this:

Just isn't our style.
Well, for some parts of society it certainly is. Oddly enough, those are the ones that would immediately dispute that the standard of living, welfare etc. are on an extremely high level here.

And the allure of moving away from Bulgaria makes Bulgarian citizenship coveted? lol
Umm... yes? You didn't really have that freedom in parts of Eastern Europe (including the country I was born in, which thankfully ceased to exist) a few decades ago and I'd argue the people living there are way happier with their citizenship now than they were back then.

Nabbis

Lol, Finland third. The only positive thing about this shithole is that it's lowest common denominator on "things that need to work" is quite high compared to other western countries. If you love a life of endless mediocrity and a shitty climate, come here.

oti

Banned
Lol, Finland third. The only positive thing about this shithole is that it's lowest common denominator on "things that need to work" is quite high compared to other western countries. If you love a life of endless mediocrity and a shitty climate, come here.

Really? I feel like we're always looking up to you guys, literally and figuratively lol.

Rad-

I guessed Finland and Denmark in top 3 before even looking at the list. These countries top every list. Other northern European countries too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom