• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German citizenship is ranked the most valuable in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not just the university is free but you don't even need an university degree to make a good living. But the dual education system in Germany (which also exists in many other European countries - often strongly influenced by the German system) is pretty effective ilat creating a powerful skilled workforce.

Senoculum

I know this may take some time to sink in because it's so profound, but in Germany college is free. They want their citizens to be educated. They want a skilled workforce.

In the USA it's not like that. Unless you have affluent parents who pay for it, you have to go into years and years of debt to go to college.

The USA is a great place to live if you're born wealthy, a bad place to live (relatively speaking when compared against Europe or Canada etc) if you aren't.

Also. Prostitutes are taxed and can claim benefits in Germany. Your move America.

Gorger

Why do you have pools in Norway? Ice skating? :p

Lol, not anymore. Even us in the cold north is feeling the heat of increased global warming. This summer was the hottest ever recorded, so soon we don't even need to migrate to Spain anymore during holidays for one week in the sun.

jerry113

Banned
Umm... yes? You didn't really have that freedom in parts of Eastern Europe (including the country I was born in, which thankfully ceased to exist) a few decades ago and I'd argue the people living there are way happier with their citizenship now than they were back then.

There are Eastern European countries where you can't give up your citizenship to move to a different country? Had no idea.

Kieli

That Canada is 32nd invalidates this list entirely.

The company should dissolve and refund all of its money to Gaf as an apology for this travesty of a list.

venomenon

There are Eastern European countries where you can't give up your citizenship to move to a different country? Had no idea.
As mentioned, I was referring to the days of the eastern bloc. In the GDR aka East Germany, you could not give up your citizenship voluntarily until the "Wende" in 1989.
You could have it taken away, sure. If you were subversive enough to have it taken away, you could as well be jailed or just die under "mysterious" circumstances.
My point is, this freedom has not been a given for very long in these countries.
Regarding a citizenship being coveted because of this kind of freedom nowadays, just look at it in relation to North Korea. I would be very surprised if its citizens were just allowed to leave if they so desire.

Eila

Used to be. It was pretty hard to move out of those oppresive states. Even nowadays leaving North Korea sounds pretty daunting, leaving your family exposed.

KDR_11k

I agree. It's a bit too broad strokes to be actually applicable.

I'm not that in love with the Netherlands but I wouldn't downgrade to Germany either even if they paid me.

As a sidenote, the fact that germans still dub all their movies makes me irrationally angry every time I think about it.
Hey guys, let's go and watch The Terminator. Only instead of Arnold's actual iconic voice and lines, you're getting some lines from some german wimp recorded from a soundbooth. I simply don't understand how they tolerate that stuff.

Remember that most people don't speak the native languages of those movies so they'd be busy reading the added text at the bottom of the screen instead of seeing the images as the director intended. If you are proficient in the original language of the movie you can either watch one of those screenings or just switch the audio track at home...

Positive side effects are e.g. the Star Trek Voyager Elite Forces game having the show's voice actors in the German version despite not using the original cast in the English one AFAIK. Or you get the guy who normally dubs Bruce Willis doing Duke Nukem in DNF.

msv

Well, not just the university is free but you don't even need an university degree to make a good living. But the dual education system in Germany (which also exists in many other European countries - often strongly influenced by the German system) is pretty effective ilat creating a powerful skilled workforce.
I have my doubts on that, from what I've seen it's very old fashioned. Could just be my experience though, but I've read similar stories from people who come to study in Germany from places like NL, Finland, and such.

I have my doubts on that, from what I've seen it's very old fashioned. Could just be my experience though, but I've read similar stories from people who come to study in Germany from places like NL, Finland, and such.

Being old-fashioned doesn't mean it's bad though. The German system of apprenticeship is based on the medieval "Zunft" and you can't really argue with the results.
Heck we adopted some Scandinavian structures in our education system only to see that it wasn't as effective and are trying to get back to the traditional methods in some places.

msv

Being old-fashioned doesn't mean it's bad though. The German system of apprenticeship is based on the medieval "Zunft" and you can't really argue with the results.
Heck we adopted some Scandinavian structures in our education system only to see that it wasn't as effective and are trying to get back to the traditional methods in some places.
I'm talking about the actual teaching and not the general idea / structure. Classes are mostly taught by lecture with slides > talk talk talk > some lame exercises, followed by maybe a pre-exam and then an exam at the end. I haven't encountered any proper coursework yet, and projects and such are of a low standard - that is, from my experience with two institutions here. That is the worst kind of teaching.

As for the part-time school stuff, I don't see how it's more effective. The studies take twice as long. Or are you measuring effectiveness by getting a job right after school? For knowledge quantity / quality, IMO it's better to have teachers that have work experience, lots of coursework, together with an overarching thread in each semester through all the classes. 1-2 monitored internship semesters suffice for workplace experience.

I'm talking from an IT perspective though. Different approaches are probably better for other subjects. Just trying to say that I don't see how part time schooling is inherently any better. The actual teaching, coursework, and structure of the classes is by far the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom