• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German citizenship is ranked the most valuable in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbis

Really? I feel like we're always looking up to you guys, literally and figuratively lol.

As someone who has visited quite many European and Asian countries, these lists in general are mostly bullshit.

Honestly speaking i would be most happiest living in Bali and Thailand, where i spent alot of time during my foreign student exchange program. You sure as hell won't see those countries high up in any lists. Estonia or Latvia would also be great if i could make a bi-weekly work contract in Finland.

Honestly speaking i would be most happiest living in Bali and Thailand, where i spent alot of time during my foreign student exchange program.

Wouldnt you have a good time there because you are a foreigner and not a native?

I mean some people are still living in shanties in Bangkok apart from downtown.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY
DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND

:p

It's always strange to look at these lists through the eyes of a minority, specifically of African decent. So many of the places listed as great to live have like 1% people of African decent.

Also I'm curious, what makes the German passport better than a US passport? Are there places they can go that we can't?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wouldnt you have a good time there because you are a foreigner and not a native?

Yeah citing the experience as a rich westerner visiting a poor asian country like Thailand and saying it's paradise is so ridiculously skewed it's laughable. Ofcourse you'll have an amazing time there, you're treated as royalty and you're richer than 99% of people there.

The fact that that guy even got to visit Bali/Thailand is because of the proper exchange programs that exist in his countries' educational system. You think the average thai college kid has the resources to travel the world on a whim?

Nabbis

Yeah, but im not a native. It's not like i can somehow be reborn somewhere else either. I don't see much value of looking at foreign countries through the eyes of normal or impoverished people. My goal in moving to other countries would be to select the one where i personally benefit the most after comparing to what i can achieve there as opposed to what i can do here.

Fritz

Cqdio-1XgAAitsS.jpg

https://twitter.com/Europarl_EN/status/767691960920440832

There is one grafic excluding the UK from the EU number. Much more generous with the salt

numble

It's always strange to look at these lists through the eyes of a minority, specifically of African decent. So many of the places listed as great to live have like 1% people of African decent.

Also I'm curious, what makes the German passport better than a US passport? Are there places they can go that we can't?

If you have a German passport you can basically get a free university education and universal healthcare.

You can also move to the UK or France or Spain and enjoy their education and universal health care and work there without needing a special visa. If you are American you would need an employer to sponsor you.

On some random issues, a visa to China costs $40 for a German passport, but $140 for a US passport.

Gutek

I escaped Germany. I now make more than double of what I made before, have an actual future in my field, and can work on stuff that would be impossible to even dream of in Germany.

iddqd

Wish it would be easier to keep my German one and also get the Canadian.
Germany does not want you to have dual citizenship.

Fritz

Of course. We make much less enemies on the global stage. It's a luxury of being less important.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Why the fuck are Bulgaria and Romania above the US? Clearly this list weighs ease of travel so heavily that it lets almost any European country best the USA.

My question, as well.

My wife's family lives in Bulgaria and it's still a very oppressive country. Just to visit the US is a massive chore worth weeks and weeks of never ending paperwork and an approval process. Nevermind that the Bulgarian economy is an absolute wreck.

This list is total bullshit.

I escaped Germany. I now make more than double of what I made before, have an actual future in my field, and can work on stuff that would be impossible to even dream of in Germany.

Explain the "escaped"?

Love that there's not a SINGLE post like this:

Just isn't our style.

aha

so gehn die gauchos, die gauchos, die gehn so

SO GEHN DIE DEUTSCHEN, DIE DEUTSCHEN GEHEN SO!

msv

Hm, is this a bit biased toward unimportant things? Really, coming from NL, Germany is a step down in my experience. Worse consumer laws, worse government services, (even) more (especially) useless bureaucracy. No same-sex marriage. I don't see anything in return for their better economy. Health care is worse, doctors are way overworked and treated badly, stale infrastructure in a lot of places, shops are closed on Sunday, more bullshit with housing, etc.. The public transportation is better though, and cheaper, and the higher education is free, which is great, though some are (from what I've experienced) pedagogically very outdated.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hm, is this a bit biased toward unimportant things? Really, coming from NL, Germany is a step down in my experience. Worse consumer laws, worse government services, (even) more (especially) useless bureaucracy. No same-sex marriage. I don't see anything in return for their better economy. Health care is worse, doctors are way overworked and treated badly, stale infrastructure in a lot of places, shops are closed on Sunday, more bullshit with housing, etc.. The public transportation is better though, and cheaper, and the higher education is free, which is great, though some are (from what I've experienced) pedagogically very outdated.

I agree. It's a bit too broad strokes to be actually applicable.

I'm not that in love with the Netherlands but I wouldn't downgrade to Germany either even if they paid me.

As a sidenote, the fact that germans still dub all their movies makes me irrationally angry every time I think about it.
Hey guys, let's go and watch The Terminator. Only instead of Arnold's actual iconic voice and lines, you're getting some lines from some german wimp recorded from a soundbooth. I simply don't understand how they tolerate that stuff.

Devil

I agree. It's a bit too broad strokes to be actually applicable.

I'm not that in love with the Netherlands but I wouldn't downgrade to Germany either even if they paid me.

As a sidenote, the fact that germans still dub all their movies makes me irrationally angry every time I think about it.
Hey guys, let's go and watch The Terminator. Only instead of Arnold's actual iconic voice and lines, you're getting some lines from some german wimp recorded from a soundbooth. I simply don't understand how they tolerate that stuff.

Germany has a lot of excellent dubbing actors, though. Sometimes I even prefer the dubbed version because studio recorded voices are much more audible than some recordings on set which are hardly understandable (English as well as German movies).

Of course there are downsides. Not every dub will be excellent, we had a lot of shitty ones, too. Sometimes it's also almost impossible to translate something without butchering what it originally meant. But there is almost always a cinema which screens the original version, you can switch language for almost any media, be it physical or digital, streamed and so on to your preferred choice.

I recently watched The Force Awakens in English for the first time. I thought it had the exact same quality as the dubbed version. I prefered Kylo Ren's original voice but would vote for the dubbed version of Finn.

la_briola

Good thing you had/have the most valuable passport on Earth!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Germany has a lot of excellent dubbing actors, though. Sometimes I even prefer the dubbed version because studio recorded voices are much more audible than some recordings on set which are hardly understandable (English as well as German movies).

Of course there are downsides. Not every dub will be excellent, we had a lot of shitty ones, too. Sometimes it's also almost impossible to translate something without butchering what it originally meant. But there is almost always a cinema which screens the original version, you can switch language for almost any media, be it physical or digital, streamed and so on to your preferred choice.

I recently watched The Force Awakens in English for the first time. I thought it had the exact same quality as the dubbed version. I prefered Kylo Ren's original voice but would vote for the dubbed version of Finn.

Actors are cast for their vocal performance, among others. Dubbing that is directly taking away from the directors' vision of the movie. You might prefer otherwise, but it is what it is.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

You should rather question your non European shit hole.

Kayhan

No offense to any of these countries, but Portugal, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, among others being ranked as having a more desirable/valuable citizenship than, especially the USA but also, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan makes me question this list.

saltshaker.gif

Devil

Actors are cast for their vocal performance, among others. Dubbing that is directly taking away from the directors' vision of the movie. You might prefer otherwise, but it is what it is.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

I completely understand that argument. It takes away from "how it was originally meant to be", sure. But that doesn't always make it worse than before, quality wise. I can see how this doesn't help you if you're getting annoyed by still not experiencing the original, though. I might add that I just cannot watch certain media dubbed, like Game of Thrones.

This sort of tradition of having well schooled dubbing actors also is a plus for any media which actually needs to be dubbed, like animated stuff. Germany has terrible (popular) actors and most of the time when one of them is cast for some animated movie it will turn out awful.

Xe4

Banned
I know this may take some time to sink in because it's so profound, but in Germany college is free. They want their citizens to be educated. They want a skilled workforce.

In the USA it's not like that. Unless you have affluent parents who pay for it, you have to go into years and years of debt to go to college.

The USA is a great place to live if you're born wealthy, a bad place to live (relatively speaking when compared against Europe or Canada etc) if you aren't.
That's not nessesarilly true. Just based off of my state and school scholarship, I get paid to go to school.

Certainty the US system isn't as good as Germany's, but it is entirely possible to go to a good 4 year college and leave debt free.

The problem is people going to schools they can't afford, not getting pre reqs out of the way at a community college, and scholarships being heavily bias towards younger, high achieving students, who probably go through school more or less free anyways (because they apply to other scholarships and receive them).

Germany also has the benifit of not sending all of their students to University. Any free college system the US creates is going to have to realize college is not the best idea for everyone, and encourage options such as trade school to those not prepared for the acedemic rigor of higher education.

Maedre

Banned
That's not nessesarilly true. Just based off of my state and school scholarship, I get paid to go to school.

Certainty the US system isn't as good as Germany's, but it is entirely possible to go to a good 4 year college and leave debt free.
Here is it more he other way around. It's possible to go to a good college and leave with little debt ;)

Not surprised. EU free movement is the single thing that makes all EU citizenships highly worthwhile and sought after. What other passports let you live and work without a permit in so many other countries? Makes me even angrier that some reactionary xenophobic assholes robbed me of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom