• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Sapien] UK Ranks Second-Worst For Mental Wellbeing In Global Survey

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Were the people unable to afford food due to UK prices shooting up? Or more about loss of jobs, so they got no income? Or both?
Both. A lot of towns had their jobs move to bigger cities and if you didnt follow your jobs, you were basically stuck in a dying town.

they basically never recovered after the 2008-2009 recession.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We’re in a very rough time in this country.

Public services are on their knees. Austerity has never ended for about 12 years at this point. Every year my local authority has to continue making impossible savings to the budget, £2m this year I believe. Libraries closed, youth services cut hard. This government doesn’t invest in or care about its people.

Demand is higher on these services than it’s ever been, due to population growth and the open border being exploited by an endless sea of economic migrants.

Social decorum has gone out of the window. People in the major cities just act like animals and those TikTok selfish morons that are ten a penny. Everyone is disposable.

The very essence of what this country is no longer exists.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm sure the absurd levels of immigration - which I imagine most native Brits didn't exactly desire - haven't helped matters, but the government certainly doesn't seem to give a shit!

Last edited:

YCoCg

but the government certainly doesn't seem to give a shit!
Oh they do, they keep saying it'll be worse with Labour as if we're supposed to ignore how it has got worse under Tory rule for the past decade, it's just a sound bite "Vote for us so we can get immigration under control!", "Vote Brexit so we can take back control of our borders!", what happened? They did nothing except make themselves rich. But they still tell us "No seriously, this time, vote for us and we'll get immigration under control!". 🙄

Jinzo Prime

Oh they do, they keep saying it'll be worse with Labour as if we're supposed to ignore how it has got worse under Tory rule for the past decade, it's just a sound bite "Vote for us so we can get immigration under control!", "Vote Brexit so we can take back control of our borders!", what happened? They did nothing except make themselves rich. But they still tell us "No seriously, this time, vote for us and we'll get immigration under control!". 🙄
Which is why I don't consider them a real conservative party. Immigration is one of the few things the right tends to agree on internationally, and the Tories have completely flubbed it.

YCoCg

Which is why I don't consider them a real conservative party. Immigration is one of the few things the right tends to agree on internationally, and the Tories have completely flubbed it.
The sad part is, those of us left leaning don't consider Labour to be a proper party either, the current batch are just the same as the other side, our political parties really are just...
LAB: You're shit at being Tories, let us be Tories
CON: B-B-BUT Labour!

And it's just tiring.

Go_Ly_Dow

In all seriousness, I talk with a lot of Brits and spend a good deal of time in the UK. There seems to be little in the way of real opportunity unless you’re from a wealthy family and/or go to Oxbridge. Or at least that’s how everyone sees it. People want to do something meaningful and succeed, but most seem to be trapped in low wage jobs with little room for growth. Home ownership is out of reach. The NHS is a mess. Everywhere outside of London is economically depressed.
For sure and the few areas outside of the London that are economically thriving, let's say Oxbridge and other places tend to be ridiculously expensive to live in.

I live in a town about 12 miles from Cambridge and a 3 bedroom starter home is about £300-350k. In Cambridge the same size home will set you back £600k+ easily.

The best shot of success here if you don't have inhertiance, don't have a very well paying job is to find a life partner who is in it for the long haul and wants to build something together. But then that can be easier said than done with divorce rates so high and a liberal culture where committment isn't always the hip thing to do. Divorce rates are like 40%. You have to choose ya gal (or guy) wisely.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

In all seriousness, I talk with a lot of Brits and spend a good deal of time in the UK. There seems to be little in the way of real opportunity unless you’re from a wealthy family and/or go to Oxbridge. Or at least that’s how everyone sees it. People want to do something meaningful and succeed, but most seem to be trapped in low wage jobs with little room for growth. Home ownership is out of reach. The NHS is a mess. Everywhere outside of London is economically depressed.
I really depends on where you live.
London is in a class of it's own. In fact I don't even class it as part of the UK anymore. The income and costs in London are in a world of it's own.

If you unfortunately live outside of London. Even as far as Bristol then it's bad. People who work in London (far better wages) will live outside (far cheaper to live) and commute in. However the rental prices are rising quickly
in these places around. This is making things very difficult for renters that work in the place they live. The wages are not matching up to the London wages at all.
I'm in this situation myself currently.
The further North you get. The cheaper it is.

The worst position to be in finically is being in the middle. If you're rich then A-OK. If you're poor then their are plenty of welfare benefits to use and exploit.
If you are honest, hard working, blue collar etc etc. Then you are fucked. You get no benefits of any help but you won't be putting much money away for a rainy day. If any.

The NHS is fucked. I'd go into my belief but it's politics.
Currently, suicides are high from what I can see in my line of work. They seem to get more and more with each passing year.

Their are jobs you can take with better earnings but you will be sacrificing a good portion of your life.
I'm currently working towards moving to Scotland in a years time. It's probably not much better but at least it's a dame sight nicer to live in.

Last edited:

Mistake

-Kindess culture and mental health obsession: the luvvie/HR/media class are essentially trying to simplify the solution for all these problems by making people fixate on being kind towards others or mindful of your mental health. It's a whole load of nonsense.
This bleeding heart nonsense is the exact opposite of what men need to succeed. Can't build a country when you depress and coddle your builders and innovators. Probably not the most relevant, but I'll tell a small story

I once taught a boy that cried every day. He would become sad and upset whenever he couldn't do something. Turns out his mother did everything and smothered him. So we started to play fight, punch at a mat and do normal guy stuff together. I also took the time and taught him to do certain things on his own. One year later he was a completely different kid. Happy, energetic, etc. His father was ecstatic.
The only real way to get out terrible situations like that is to pool resources with friends or family and get the hell out. Otherwise you'll be stuck doing the same dreary work for ages. I used to work at a walmart and went back 10 years later to shop around. It was all the same people, but worse looking.
I really depends on where you live.
London is in a class of it's own. In fact I don't even class it as part of the UK anymore. The income and costs in London are in a world of it's own.

If you unfortunately live outside of London. Even as far as Bristol then it's bad. People who work in London (far better wages) will live outside (far cheaper to live) and commute in. However the rental prices are rising quickly
in these places around. This is making things very difficult for renters that work in the place they live. The wages are not matching up to the London wages at all.
I'm in this situation myself currently.
The further North you get. The cheaper it is.

The worst position to be in finically is being in the middle. If you're rich then A-OK. If you're poor then their are plenty of welfare benefits to use and exploit.
If you are honest, hard working, blue collar etc etc. Then you are fucked. You get no benefits of any help but you won't be putting much money away for a rainy day. If any.

The NHS is fucked. I'd go into my belief but it's politics.
Currently, suicides are high from what I can see in my line of work. They seem to get more and more with each passing year.

Their are jobs you can take with better earnings but you will be sacrificing a good portion of your life.
I'm currently working towards moving to Scotland in a years time. It's probably not much better but at least it's a dame sight nicer to live in.
I was once in the middle as you say. It's hell. God forbid you get in any kind of debt, as it becomes impossible to escape.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I live in a town about 12 miles from Cambridge.......
d6b25addaa6bc2eab15b151fa75944b7.gif

Stealth bragging is forbidden. That's for neobrag.
The sad part is, those of us left leaning don't consider Labour to be a proper party either, the current batch are just the same as the other side, our political parties really are just...
LAB: You're shit at being Tories, let us be Tories
CON: B-B-BUT Labour!

And it's just tiring.
Made worse since Clegg basically fucked the dems for at least 50 years after the coalition.

Socially, the country is broken. We're fast approaching the need for the 90's Zero Tolerance style policing that NYC used. Which would be great if we actually had prison places.

And all this bullshit crying needs to stop. By and large the country is full of lazy bastards who basically think fuck everyone except me. We have the government the county deserves. This could be the first time we have a younger generation coming through who are more selfish and entitled than the tanned pensioner brigade.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I once taught a boy that cried every day. He would become sad and upset whenever he couldn't do something. Turns out his mother did everything and smothered him. So we started to play fight, punch at a mat and do normal guy stuff together. I also took the time and taught him to do certain things on his own. One year later he was a completely different kid. Happy, energetic, etc. His father was ecstatic.
Yeah. For men and boys, depression mainly stems from a feeling of powerlessness. Sometimes it can be your situation (e.g., prison or homelessness or chronic illness or bullying), but a lot of it is your perception and whether you’ve built yourself up to influence what you can. Becoming strong and capable so that you can handle whatever life throws at you goes a long way toward suppressing depression.

Of course, that’s basically stoicism, which the APA officially labels as “toxic masculinity” now…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kindness/culture only go so far. It may work in a lot of those poorer countries on the list ranking high because the cost of living is low. It's easy to blend in with the masses being content when the economy and standard of living isnt expensive.

But for richer countries, it's harder to be happy in a dead end job with tons of bills or high rent/mortgage to pay every month.

Which to me means people and government need to fuck off with the stress leave and dumbing down of society, but instead amp it up getting people to stay in school and get a good job. And even if it's still too expensive, at least you got a good resume and can help land a decent job in a cheaper city or country. Nobody ever said everyone has the right or entitlement to live it up in Manhattan, Vancouver, London or any other super costly city. And nobody says you have to live in the same city you are born in.

I dont care what anyone says. When you got a decent career and money it works wonders. It gets to a point you dont even worry about bills of any kind. Its more about opportunity cost how to grow it more for the hell of it. And when anyone doesn't have to worry about bills, that's got to be a big mental health booster.

As for government, they also got to care more for their own locals than random migrants sapping the resources. What makes it worse is it seems every politician loves announces free perks and benefits for migrants their own poor locals dont even get. So you can see why some people are miserable and pissed. Its like a slap in the face. That would be like broke parents acting like Bill Gates buying their poor neighbour's kid a Xmas toy acting like they got unlimited pockets. But no good Xmas gifts for their own kids. Their own government would rather give housing help or free medical care than someone needing some help whose lived in the country for 40 years. Makes no sesne. I do well enough for myself so for me I get absolutely zero bonus perks and benefits forever. But when i see these kinds of free money tossed around, I always assume locals needing help are pissed.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

In the 15 years since I emmigrated the UK is almost unrecognisable. I return every two years to see family and there are areas that we used to play as kids and teens that are now dangerous no go areas. Synthetic drug use and homelessness are rife, poverty is everywhere and the NHS is barely functioning.

Immigration is still through the roof, nobody seems to be in control, the housing market continues on its rocket trajectory moving further away from first time buyers.

As others have correctly mentioned, Conservatives are conservative in name only and are left of center at best, there is pro palestine marches weekly, fundamentalist insignia projected onto Big Ben, all media and public funded media are heavily left wing, no impartiality.

Its a terrible situation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Immigration is still through the roof, nobody seems to be in control, the housing market continues on its rocket trajectory moving further away from first time buyers.
For any city with sky high home prices, people have to remember it's not directly government or businesses colluding or anything. The majority of homes for sale are every day people. Its them setting the price. But prices are set high because in a lot of popular cities the demand outstrips supply of sellers and every home owner with the advice of their agent will keep prices high. But then in down in dumps cities with negative people growth, you'd see places where you can buy a home for like $50,000. Demand is so low, someone making half decent money can buy it in a couples years work. Why is that a decent looking family home with a two car garage is $300,000 in Iowa, but in California it's $1.3 million? Looks like the same shit going by pictures. Supply and demand.

But indirectly, for some reason (personally I think it's because they got no balls and need to put up that friendly welcoming bravado image where it's hard to say no) governments in a lot of western countires green light shit loads of people to come over without proper home/condo/apartment rental supply to accommodate the masses. It makes no difference if those people are broke and need to find a shitty rental unit in a back alley, or they got tons of money and can buy a house with a suitcase of cash on the first day they land. Either way, they need a place to stay. So just like economics class in high school, when demand is high and supply is low, you jack up the price to maximize returns by starting high looking for the people with money. And that housing supply goes down not just because of buyers, but also landlords renting them out or Air BNB them. Its really no different than scalping sports or concert tickets. It makes no difference what the face value is. If demand is red hot, sell it on stubhub for 5x the price. If demand sucks and it's a bad weather day, you might have to dumb it down for a loss as there's nobody around to buy it except a bargain hunter who will take it off your hands at 40% off face value. Housing pricing isnt that much different.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

d6b25addaa6bc2eab15b151fa75944b7.gif

Stealth bragging is forbidden. That's for neobrag.
Definitely not a stealth brag! My town is just filled with estate agents, hairdressers and charity shops (although I think charity shops are awesome). I could never afford to live in Cambridge as much as I'd like.

Go_Ly_Dow

2OLVaSf.png

TLDR: The immigration shitstorm is not going away anytime soon. Not with stats like these and with many native Brits desperate for social housing. So I think eventually we're going to see hard right parties (the kind we haven't had in a long time) gaining traction after 5-10 years of Labour wrecks the country a bit more. 🙈

Tams

This bleeding heart nonsense is the exact opposite of what men need to succeed. Can't build a country when you depress and coddle your builders and innovators. Probably not the most relevant, but I'll tell a small story

Socially, the country is broken. We're fast approaching the need for the 90's Zero Tolerance style policing that NYC used. Which would be great if we actually had prison places.

And all this bullshit crying needs to stop. By and large the country is full of lazy bastards who basically think fuck everyone except me. We have the government the county deserves. This could be the first time we have a younger generation coming through who are more selfish and entitled than the tanned pensioner brigade.

This is a source of the problems.

On one hand social cohesion is falling apart and on the other we have the bleedung hearts going around telling everyone it's okay to be vulnerable, that everyone needs to see a psychiatrist, how offended they are by some historical justice and that we must all pay attention.

I fear the youngest generations couldn't find their way out of a box. They've been molly-coddled all their lives. And those that haven't, haven't had good outlets for their energies, so have become feral.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Something happened.

I dont know if it's the late 90s or 2000s or maybe its more the early 2010s. Not sure. But at some point, society changed a lot where governments became super lax and dont give a shit about crime, school boards lets teachers be abused and mouthed off at by bratty kids, government assistance entitlement etc... and instead of government trying to stress to people that government is there to provide services to keep things in line and not to be a punching bag or unlimited moneybag, they seem to just not care. Or perhaps, they do but gave up trying??? If you dont set good examples and expectations, of course the average numbnut will continue being a dumbass from kid to adult to senior citizen.

All I know is when I went to school in the 80s and then university early 90s, schools were safe (no security guards and anyone can just walk in and out of the school), nobody talked back at teachers, in general it seemed almost everyone at school cared about grades doing their best, and people listened to authority. And people listened because if you fuck up, then youre fucked or get a stern lesson how to correct yourself. Now, you get lots of people being fuck ups and somehow expect everyone to bail them out whether it's government, or their boss and work.

People dont seem to understand the old sayings of Pull Up Your Socks or The Buck Stops Here.

Some reason you get a lot of people in life who just dont want to put in effort to improve themselves. You dont even need one on one advice in modern day. Anyone can take a crack at it just surfing the net and learning stuff on your own.

Last edited:

Porcile

UK is like Japan where nearly everyone enjoys the benefits of free and middle-class society and have gotten so it used to it they are apethetic about a lot of things. At the end of the day, if you are born and raised in the UK you have more than likely still won in the lottery of life innit.

zombrex

As far as Australia goes I think it is a combination fo the total lack of unity and sense of community which is the biggest factor and culture of simultaneously hating successful people and not celebrating hard working people which has taught people to be jealous of others.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Your "Tories" are completely unrecognizable as a right wing party by anyone outside the UK. Rishi Sundak would shit his pants in fear if he met a real conservative.

Rishi Sunak shits his pants in fear using a debit card at a fuel pump. He's incredibly weak willed.

Anyways, I'm not surprised. I wouldn't exactly say mental health care is where is should be here, like pulling teeth getting a Dr's appointment.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
UK is like Japan where nearly everyone enjoys the benefits of free and middle-class society and have gotten so it used to it they are apethetic about a lot of things. At the end of the day, if you are born and raised in the UK you have more than likely still won in the lottery of life innit.
For all my joking in previous posts the uk is a great country that doesn’t mean it’s perfect far from it food banks. Most of the stuff people (the middle class etc) lose their shit over in the uk is things like no strawberries available all year round. Supermarket having to wait for food delivery for said item. While mostly everything else is available.

Bin collections now fortnightly (every two weeks). Things that let’s be real are rather twee things in the grand scheme of things.
The quality of life in Europe is Insanely good when you think about it.

Let’s use a British adage. It could be worse.
Things like war. Dictatorships etc. Could be what we could face. But we don’t

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It's ok, the UK will push through that phase and then just become thick skinned and use humor as an outlet instead of remembering there's no hope left.

Welcome to the life of your average South African, we're just out here having a laugh and a braai watching literally everything burn and crumble around us. As long as we get some lekker boerewors n bietjie brandewyn and a laugh, that's all that matters

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's ok, the UK will push through that phase and then just become thick skinned and use humor as an outlet instead of remembering there's no hope left.

Welcome the life of your average South African, we're just out here having a laugh and a braai watching literally everything burn and crumble around us. As long as we get some lekker boerewors n bietjie brandewyn and a laugh, that's all that matters
maybe after that we can get back to winning in rugby.

Go_Ly_Dow

I wouldn't worry chum. I've been to France and, erm, yeah. Stay winning I guess 🤷‍♂️

I love what you've done with the place

olLx4K8.jpg

Yup and not just that but the idea that desperate people who have experienced decades of life if in declining areas simply voting against the status quo for the hope of a better country should "get fucked" is pretty laughable. I wonder what our proud Europhile would recommend, more globalisation?

We've been mugged out of our own country, of course we're pissed off. We've been here before in the 80s and 90s, except now the music is shit and we've more foreigners.
Tories never give a fuck as they live by the term pound shy and penny foolish, they'll see the country gutted before they ever invest in it.

That being said I've had decent experience with the NHS recently for both my father and sister. Very much seems to be a post code lottery thing. This is in Bolton, not at all a wealthy town.

I need to move though, as I've gotten older I'm realising SAD hits me hard for at least 6 months of the year. My mood instantly lifts when the sun comes out. Preferably Cornwall, I don't give a fuck how 'poor' it is, the best people I've ever met don't have two ha'penny's to rub together.

Meh – I blame the daily mail for its persistent anxiety-inducing YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE AND IT WON’T AFFECT YOU HOWEVER YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT approach to journalism. I think give it a few more years and I’ll head back to Oz, although surprising to hear they’re at the bottom as well (their approach to covid was a little overboard – no doubt that dampened a few spirits).

cormack12

Gold Member
Meh – I blame the daily mail for its persistent anxiety-inducing YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE AND IT WON’T AFFECT YOU HOWEVER YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT approach to journalism. I think give it a few more years and I’ll head back to Oz, although surprising to hear they’re at the bottom as well (their approach to covid was a little overboard – no doubt that dampened a few spirits).

Tams

People dont seem to understand the old sayings of Pull Up Your Socks or The Buck Stops Here.

There was a time I'd have saif that you need to be careful with phrases like that, but I've ling come to realise that pandering to peoplecs sensitivities like that is one of the major problems. Instead of getting with life, people get hung up on nonsense and bullshit.

On one hand it is good that mental health is being taken more seriously and is recognised as important, but in the other, it seems like every other person has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, etc. And instead of just persevering, they coast and use those 'diagnoses' as excuses. It's the same with all this DEI bullshit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Moving between the UK and Australia, I can safely say the Australians who are whining don't know they're fucking born.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Liberal countries tend to be very unhappy.

Hah aha ha aha haha hah hah.

Tell me you don't know anything about global politics, without telling me you don't know anything about global politics.

The world isn't the fucking USA and UK. Liberal countries are overwhelmingly the happiest in the world :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I believe the results of this study. It's in the British character to moan a lot without really meaning it. I dislike that aspect of us, for what it's worth.

I do think the nation is startlingly demoralised. And there is a weird state dependency. I'm not talking about handouts as such, rather the expectation that the government needs to provide everything. Labour recently stated a plan for teachers to brush kids' teeth at school. We've lost our sense of self sufficiency and self respect.

AgatonSax

Yeah I mean your experiences are your own but I really don’t agree; there is plenty of opportunity outside London. I’m based near Manchester which is absolutely thriving. I’ve got Cheshire countryside to the South and the Lake District to the North. Loads of interesting towns and villages in the area. You can walk everywhere and still get into London 2 hours by train. Yes there are a lot of shithole towns (like every other country) and significant and growing problems but a lot of this thread is just lazy stereotypes. UK just gets a lot more scrutiny than most is all plus moaning is a national preoccupation.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Welcome to the life of your average South African, we're just out here having a laugh and a braai watching literally everything burn and crumble around us. As long as we get some lekker boerewors n bietjie brandewyn and a laugh, that's all that matters
Load shedding was what did me in, I could tolerate the rest but not that. Took Malemas advise and returned to the land of my ancestors (Netherlands). Though I do miss the homeland.

StueyDuck

Load shedding was what did me in, I could tolerate the rest but not that. Took Malemas advise and returned to the land of my ancestors (Netherlands). Though I do miss the homeland.
i plan on returning to the UK too, just some factors here at the moment slowing that process down, one primarily being that the Rand is essentially monopoly money to the real world.

but yeah, if the rest of these nations keep it up, they might soon also be enjoying themselves some water shortages and electricity outages.

ZehDon

Gold Member
As far as Australia goes I think it is a combination fo the total lack of unity and sense of community which is the biggest factor and culture of simultaneously hating successful people and not celebrating hard working people which has taught people to be jealous of others.
Fair observation. It seems the only thing unified these days is Labour and Liberal pollys, who both seem to run the same platform: unsustainable immigration, tax cuts for corporations, and defund Medicare. We're morphing into the United States, and it's soul crushing to watch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Welkom terug!

Top Bottom