• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst genre of music

Status
Not open for further replies.

moist

Popular rap

Seems like most of the guys anymore lack so much talent they need to make up words to get them to rhyme making the songs more nonsensical then they generally are.

jenov4

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Whatever genre the Golden Girls theme song is classified under.

LOL, I guess that goes under the genre of Television Showtunes. The ones from the 70's & 80's are especially cheezy. Except for Knight Rider & The A-Team.

Blackie

Hardcore.

Country, emo, and the most idiotic dumbed down commercial rap can't compare to very very loud screaming voices carressing my ear drums.

Flynn

Volt said:
I don't think there's such a thing as "bad" genres..
So I'll rephrase "What genre are you sick and tired of ?"
And the answer would be : popular RnB and girl bands that rip off Destiny's Child (who of course ripped off a lot of older acts but oh well.. :))

I was just discussing this with some friends. There's no such thing as a bad genre, just bad examples of it.

Right now "emo" is hot and a popular whipping boy, but the earliest examples of it, Rite of Spring and pretty much the entire first couple years of "emotional punk" from Dischord kick all kinds of ass. Good bands as divergent as Modest Mouse, Rainer Maria, Bright Eyes and Death Cab For Cutie can be weighed as decent examples or evolutions of emo.

My friend brought up the example of "ska" as another bad example. And again, I say that people are judging "ska" on only the recent, sucky outcropping of the genre. 1st and 2nd wave ska kick all kinds of ass.

And country? Three words. Johnny Fucking Cash.

Argue that and we're gonna have a knife fight.

This song isn't so bad if you change some of the words and imagine Bea Arthur singing.

"and if you threw a party- and invited everyone you knew- You would see, the biggest dick would be on me, and teh balls attached would say 'Thank You for being a Man".

etiolate

Banned
I try to find the good in all genres, but commercial rap and numetal stuff makes it tough to find anything good within their realm. Punk is 98% shit, but that other 2% redeems its existance. What redeems commercial rap and numetal exactly?

Flynn

etiolate said:
I try to find the good in all genres, but commercial rap and numetal stuff makes it tough to find anything good within their realm. Punk is 98% shit, but that other 2% redeems its existance. What redeems commercial rap and numetal exactly?

Commercial Rap: Missy Elliot, Outkast, The Beastie Boys
Nu-Metal: Early Deftones, System of a Down, Refused

Er, I wouldn't put Outkast as "Commercial Rap." Usually commercial rap means BLING BLINGZ EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND DA COHNA BLING BLING.

Flynn

Tre said:
Er, I wouldn't put Outkast as "Commercial Rap." Usually commercial rap means BLING BLINGZ EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND DA COHNA BLING BLING.

Wrong.

Commercial Rap is Rap on a major label that sells a ton, like Outkast.

Outkast is proof that commercial rap doesn't have to suck.

Volt

I naturally agree with Flynn (as he's defending a point I made earlier on :D), every genre in the world has a few bands/songs that everyone could potentially like. What it comes down to is that some people just don't understand certain genres. Hey, I hate the rampant nu-metal as much as the next guy, but damn did Deftones make some great songs or what ? I even liked some of Drowning Pool's songs, as well as SOAD and even POD (shame on me yes). I'd never buy a whole album filled with that kind of music, but it doesn't make the genre "bad", because lots of people really connect with that kind of music.

Same thing goes for rap, I have only two albums that could be considered vaguely hip-hoppy : Black Eyed Peas latest album and De La Soul's Best Of one. If I were to buy a third, I'd probably choose Jurrasic 5, cuz I like the more mellow, happy-go-lucky hip hop. But when I'm playing NBA Street or Fight Night, I genuinely like some of the rap tunes in them, so again, I wouldn't consider it a "bad" genre. I just believe that some genres are in the spotlight for too long, which causes people to grow a hatred against the entire genre :)

Tre said:
Er, just because they sell a ton doesn't mean they're commercial, that just means they're *popular*.

What's the point of commercial rap - if not to move a ton of albums?

Perhaps, you mean that the problem lies with "gangsta" rap instead of "commercial" rap in general.

Flynn

Tre said:
Er, just because they sell a ton doesn't mean they're commercial, that just means they're *popular*.

Commercial doesn't have to be insulting.

Outkast make music that is accessable (and simultaneously amazing) that's why they sell a bunch.

Rap artists such as Kool Keith, Clouddead or Busdriver make less accessable (e.g. more experimental rap) and sell less.

Neither is better than the other, but Outkast is purposefully making music that people will like. It could be their good luck that their tastes are right in line with the tastes of the nation. But nevertheless, the fact that they're making music that doesn't directly (or indirectly) antagonize the audience makes them commercial.

etiolate

Banned
Commercial Rap: Missy Elliot, Outkast, The Beastie Boys
Nu-Metal: Early Deftones, System of a Down, Refused

Yah Deftones and SOAD I like. I don't know if Beastie Boys and Outkast fit commercial rap though. They are popular, but they sound and feel much different than most of the rap on the radio and MTV.

Volt

shibbs said:
nah, dance music is is very wide aswell.

Sure, but a lot of dance acts do use "rock" (very broad term) samples and/or song structures. Guess it just depends on what kind of dance you mean :) Still doesn't make the other genres "bad" though, IMHO.

Flynn

etiolate said:
Yah Deftones and SOAD I like. I don't know if Beastie Boys and Outkast fit commercial rap though. They are popular, but they sound and feel much different than most of the rap on the radio and MTV.

See prior arguments. All popular and commercial music need not sound alike.

shibbs

Volt said:
Sure, but a lot of dance acts do use "rock" (very broad term) samples and/or song structures. Guess it just depends on what kind of dance you mean :) Still doesn't make the other genres "bad" though, IMHO.

Im into techno (ambient, acid, minimal, schranz), techhouse, hardtrance etc etc.
I just dont like rock/metal music.. thats just my taste. There lots of people that love rock and say that dance music is complete shit.

Volt

shibbs said:
Im into techno (ambient, acid, minimal, schranz), techhouse, hardtrance etc etc.
I just dont like rock/metal music.. thats just my taste. There lots of people that love rock and say that dance music is complete shit.

Fair enough, although I'd make the same argument against those people :)
Care to name some essantial acts in the hardtrance, acid etc.. genres ? It's been a while since I bought any dance music at all. I used to buy a lot of compilations and mix CDs, though, might as well check out what's good right now.

Flynn

This thread is kinda funny.

I developed theory a while back that you could always tell people that were only nominally into music if their response to the question, "What kind of music do you like?" was "everything but country and rap."

FnordChan

Sturgeon's Law /prov./ "Ninety percent of everything is crap". Derived from a quote by science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, who once said, "Sure, 90% of science fiction is crud. That's because 90% of everything is crud." Oddly, when Sturgeon's Law is cited, the final word is almost invariably changed to `crap'.

FnordChan

Rlan

Any Rap which includes the three B's: BlingBling, Bitches, and Bitching, and the ones which are just all "I'm the best!, I own stuff!". and swear for the sake of swearing, fizzle nizzle bitches and hoes I'm so cool crap. This includes 2Pac, Eminem, and pretty much anything else. I don't want to hear songs about how a guy thinks he's better than everyone else.

The only rap I like is rap which doesn't SOUND like rap. ie; doesn't use some 20 year old organ for their background music like Enimem does. I can't think of any names now, but they're there.

And I'm not sure of what the music style is, but The Cooler used it for it's soundtrack the whole way through. That style of music just doesn't fit in today at all, and was the only thing I hated about an otherwise great movie.

I don't mind some Country. Anyone can like Cotten Eye Joe or Dueling Banjos :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Error Macro said:
Country fucking rocks.

Rap/Hip-Hop is my most hated, right next to Jazz, Motown, Gospel, most Blues, etc. However, those other genres are actually music, whereas Rap music in general has almost no musical qualities to it whatsoever.

a music elitist with absolutely no soul.

the only answer none can dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom