• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would america be better or worse right now if Mitt Romney had won in 2012?

jono51

Banned
Simple question really.

I think things would be better simply because he was clearly aware of the threat russia posed, whilst Obama was more interested in his "nice guy" talking act and completely missed their shit.

Obama basically completely dropped the ball in his second term, on everything. He broke a lot of promises in his first term, but the second was basically "I'm going to say nice things, and then turn around and instruct the government to do the opposite". i think that is what really pissed off america and turned us to Trump, the fact that Obama was so bold in his political two-facery.

Gander

Banned
He still a Republican and all the NRA supporting, Money to the rich giving and Programs for children eliminating norms that go along with that.

MC Safety

Would the legalization of marijuana been possible if he had been in office?

Most of that stuff happened at the state level and not the federal level. In fact, marijuana is legal in a lot of states but illegal as part of federal law.

The original post is interesting. I'm not sure what, if anything, might have changed. Interestingly, the country might have seen a different (perhaps more expansive) stab at national health care. Romney presided over the Massachusetts health care plan and would have pushed for it nationally.

LordPezix

Most of that stuff happened at the state level and not the federal level. In fact, marijuana is legal in a lot of states but illegal as part of federal law.

Yes that is true. I was more implying if the rhetoric of the oval office maybe would have stalled some legalizations at the state level. I mean it is almost too hard to tell if it would've or wouldn't.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Simple question really.

I think things would be better simply because he was clearly aware of the threat russia posed, whilst Obama was more interested in his "nice guy" talking act and completely missed their shit.

Obama basically completely dropped the ball in his second term, on everything. He broke a lot of promises in his first term, but the second was basically "I'm going to say nice things, and then turn around and instruct the government to do the opposite". i think that is what really pissed off america and turned us to Trump, the fact that Obama was so bold in his political two-facery.

So this is actually just a "bash Obama" thread and has literally nothing to do with Romney. GG OP. Trump built his political career by shouting from the rooftops for years that Obama was born in Kenya. But, sure, people clearly voted from Trump not because he was the loudest, richest birther conspiracist in America. It was because Obama was "two-faced" despite literally zero examples from you detailing how he was two-faced.:unsure:

Last edited:
Simple question really.

lol

---

Romney winning in 2012 would have only accelerated all the money grubbing schemes that are playing out now.

At least he's not a traitor.

BlueAlpaca

i think that is what really pissed off america and turned us to Trump, the fact that Obama was so bold in his political two-facery.

Can you give examples of that?

BTW, I read a statistic somewhere that said Obama would have won over Trump in 2016 54-42 or something like that. I don't have a link, sorry, but if that's true than I don't think Obama's performance was the reason Trump was elected.

Super Mario

Banned
Hard to say.

An easier one would be to ask if Gore had won in 2000. We'd probably be better off.

I agree with the hard to say part. I doubt Gore would have saved us either.

Romney is an establishment type. I feel we would have had many of the more positive economy effects under Romney, but the rest would have remained similar. The divisive media narrative would have been just as bad, if not worse. The media is our countries' biggest problem.

BANGS

Banned
Hard to say, I was never a fan of Romney. He didn't seem interested in the middle class at all... and he went on record saying he wasn't concerned about the problems of the impoverished as they had a safety net... he was completely out of touch...

Harksteed

Banned
CyebGcJVQAQubGd.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I agree with the hard to say part. I doubt Gore would have saved us either.
It's far less likely that Gore would have had the same enthusiasm for invading Iraq, and if he didn't we wouldn't be stuck with all the problems we have now as a result. Unless Saddam actually was worse than all the shit we have now, but I doubt it.

Probably no gay marriage, which wouldn’t be a positive.
I think that was an inevitability, but it's likely that having a President Obama sped up the process.

Spheyr

Banned
We needed an anti-gun dipshit like Obama in office to spur some of the more reluctant into standing up for our rights.

NickFire

The original post is interesting. I'm not sure what, if anything, might have changed. Interestingly, the country might have seen a different (perhaps more expansive) stab at national health care. Romney presided over the Massachusetts health care plan and would have pushed for it nationally.
You're right on the weed dynamic, but if the President instructed the DOJ to go heavy in the states that legalized it the movement could have died.

Top Bottom