• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would DC vs Capcom be able to live up to Marvel vs Capcom?

Platy

Does not matter who the characters are ....Capcom finds a way to make their moves interesting to a Versus game.

Which is why it would be so fun to have Capcom vs Nintendo

Compbros

Also food for thought, the last time we got a crossover game that was just Capcom characters, even though they were just from other Capcom fighters (with 90% of it being Street Fighter anyway), we got Capcom Fighting Jam.

So I dunno how good a new one of those would actually be.

We also almost got Capcom Fighting All-Stars which looked fine for how early into development it was (never liked 3D for SF though) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_obV-z6Pa0

There's honestly no telling how it'd go. They could build on the Marvel 3 engine and I'm sure it'd go over very well.

Why wouldn't people want Doomsday in?

He's basically a free extra character since they just have to skin the new model over Hulk's animations and data

ReiGun

Why wouldn't people want Doomsday in?

He's basically a free extra character since they just have to skin the new model over Hulk's animations and data

Cause Doomsday is shit.

If we're just reskinning Hulk, then use Mongul da gawd.

1273816-mongul.jpg

Compbros

But you still see people comparing MvC3 to MvC2 all the time, years upon years later. Not just that, but despite there being some additive mechanics, both of the games are very MvC at the core. Heavy synergy-focused, hyper-fast paced and sandbox-y team-based fighting games.

Well of course because it's a "Marvel vs. Capcom" game. The newer iteration is always gonna be compared to the older one even if they changed a bunch of stuff. I'm just saying that if another name was on it you could separate the game from "Marvel 1/2" because of how differently it plays. I mean, synergy is gonna be a heavy part of any team based game, especially ones with assists so I don't see that as "MvC" exclusive.

J-Tier

Could be interesting, but would definitely step on the toes of NRS's Injustice.

I know it won't happen, but I'd prefer an MVC4 or a Marvel Heroes 2 (all Marvel cast)-- I actually think the chances are higher if them working with Marvel again is higher than them working with DC tbh.

As others have already stated though, I would be really down for Capcom vs Capcom too.

VeeP

DC vs Cacpom would work out well.

Tons of different types of users.

Deathstroke, Batman, Nightwing, Superman, Shazam, Klarion, Dr. Fate, Blue Beetle, Martian Manhunter, Vandal Savage, Black Lightning, Static, Ras, Amazo, Despero, Mongol, Darkseid, Green Lantern, Flash, etc.

For me, it would come down to what characters are utilized. For comparison purposes, let's assume 25 DC characters are in, to match UMvC3.

Here's a roster idea, trying to keep an even mix of interesting characters and popular characters, with a heavy lean towards heroes over villains:

1.) Batman
2.) Superman
3.) Wonder Woman
4.) Green Lantern
5.) The Flash
6.) Martian Manhunter
7.) Aquaman
8.) Zatanna
9.) Starfire
10.) Cyborg
11.) Nightwing
12.) Green Arrow
13.) Raven
14.) Captain Atom
15.) Blue Beetle
16.) Booster Gold
17.) Amethyst
18.) The Joker
19.) Poison Ivy
20.) Captain Cold
21.) Lex Luthor
22.) Darkseid
23.) Deathstroke
24.) Lobo
25.) Terra

Is a roster like this worthwhile enough for such a game? I think so.

You forgot to include Robin and beast boy and Bane and Aqualad and Shazam and Some members of the Legion and Grifter and many, many others :0

Dr Fate would be awesome too.

Neoxon

Unless you want a big cast of Batman related characters then no, won't be as interesting cast member wise.
Likewise, the Marvel side for a potential MvC4 would be dominated by characters in the MCU with Spidey & a few X-Men sprinkled in.

SerTapTap

Injustice + Capcom characters - stage damage would be universally superior before we even get to the other gameplay aspects, to me. DC characters just arent' as good to me though, with the exceptions of Batman and most things bearing the Vertigo label.

Injustice + Capcom characters - stage damage would be universally superior before we even get to the other gameplay aspects, to me. DC characters just arent' as good to me though, with the exceptions of Batman and most things bearing the Vertigo label.

-stage damage?

Superheroes should be throwing cars and knocking through buildings.

AAK

I'm just saying what Capcom pulled from Tekken Isn't as drastic as Marvel or a DC would be. And it's very close to what a capcom vs game would play like without the superhero influenced mechanics and aesthetics.

If they wanted to they could. And that's all I'm saying.

Compbros

Only problems with interactibles is that they are unblockable meaning some characters get free 20~ percent damage off a setup. That has been fixed in MKX.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Likewise, the Marvel side for a potential MvC4 would be dominated by characters in the MCU with Spidey & a few X-Men sprinkled in.
I sort of disagree. While we will probably see more MCU characters, MvC has always had a history of putting in obscure characters or left-field choices on top of whatever is relevant to the masses at that time. It's part of what keeps the franchise fresh, and kind of refreshing to see game franchises actively taking those risks.

If DC vs. Capcom had a significant chunk of obscure/lesser-known characters, it wouldn't be a problem if the underlying game was good.

J-Tier

I'm just saying what Capcom pulled from Tekken Isn't as drastic as Marvel or a DC would be. And it's very close to what a capcom vs game would play like without the superhero influenced mechanics and aesthetics.
With characters like Dante, Asura and Date Masamune...I highly doubt the mechanics would be as tame as you think.

Green lantern would be awesome in this game, I think capcom could do some cool ass shit with the dude

I'd imagine batman and/or nightwing would play pretty good

If mvc4 were ever to happen it would be a damn shame if they removed some xmen, if anything they need to add a few. Cyclops needs to return

Platy

Lobo, Plastic Man, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Dream.... maybe I just want a Vertigo vs Capcom

How many casuals knew Shuma Gorath before MvC? Hell, for a lot of people, MvC3 was their introduction to characters like Dormmamu, Nova, and Rocket Raccoon.

Never hurts to include some lesser knowns.

For a lot of people, MVC 2 was their introduction to anybody that is not an x-men or spiderman character =P

Definitely, love seeing the sprite versions of DC heroes on Mugens.

Everyone wants DC vs Marvel though, preferably developed by Capcom with sprite art.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Injustice was awesome and MK10 looks great. I prefer NRS games over Capcom now tbh.

Zubz

Banned
Nah. On top of the whole NRS making that impossible, it just would feel like a knock-off of MvC by the very C that made it. Plus, again, the Marvel characters just mesh better with Capcom's "Goofy, fun, but also often serious" tone so much better than DC ever could.

I still really want to just say "screw it" and have all 4 get together for a big kerfuffle of a crossover over, though. Literally, beyond legal codology, the only problem I can see is NRS demanding their characters get fatalities, but why not just give them brutal X-Ray/Super Combos that are goreless-but-still-hella-flashy-and-painful instead?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh wow. That is WB interactive isn't it? Huh.

Wonder why Disney allowed that?
Because it makes sense business-wise and nobody is throwing away money to maintain fictional conflicts that the fans create. Has nothing to do with Disney being apprehensive "because WB."

Makes much less sense in the fighting game space though, there isn't a single good reason why Marvel would go WB over Capcom. Sales, brand strength, authenticity in look and animation (which is a huge sticking point for Marvel), gameplay, etc.

petghost

Banned
there is no way capcom is gonna get either the marvel or DC license at this point, which im completely fine with because i was never much interested in comic books but i do really enjoy FG's. i would like to see them expand on the concepts of the recent mvc game and i'd like to think that if they had a chance to change some mechanics like TAC etc. they probably would. the obvious problem is that a capcom only fighting game in the same vein as a VS game is going to have less mainstream appeal because people fucking love marvel/dc.

Top Bottom