• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

FFXIV_FMV_04.jpg

final-fantasy-13-2-1.jpg

XIII-2_lightning_fmv.jpg

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ? In Real time ? As in, these FMV scenes would be in-game actually happening as you play graphics.

I would. Square Enix makes beautiful FMV's and I would absolutely be pumped if next-gen games were rendered in real time this beautifully.

No, I don't want this gen to last 15 more years.

These FMV scenes are way better looking then what can be currently displayed on the consoles. Have you guys played FF13 ? You can always tell an immediate difference between the FMV's and the actual gameplay.

Exactly like that? In full motion with good AI and a solid world size? And at 60 fps and 1080p? Sure, why not?

Speaking to the level of technology on display, not necessarily the art style, of course.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
These FMV scenes are way better looking then what can be currently displayed on the consoles. Have you guys played FF13 ? You can always tell an immediate difference between the FMV's and the actual gameplay.

I'm saying it will take 15 years to release a console that could render FF's FMVs in real time.

Ricky_R

Just give me this:

gow3-30.jpg

with consistent high res textures, more polys, higher resolution and at least 40 FPS locked as a mininum.

60fps without jaggies or long load times and I'll be happy. Start from that foundation and see how much artistry you can apply to the visuals.

I'm more interested in the moment to moment gameplay and feedback than the ability to create stellar screenshots.

How would it kill a large number of studios? Most indie game studios out there don't have these ridiculously fancy graphics. They're doing incredibly well for themselves.

Well I did not meant 'kill' as kill-kill. You are right. what I should have said is: only a few could keep up with that.

Madrical

Banned
60fps without jaggies or long load times and I'm fine. Start from that foundation and see how much artistry you can apply to the visuals.

This x100. I wish consoles had a minimum standard for technical aspects of games, especially FPS.

Really, I just want next gen to have 60 FPS, 1080p with forced AA. It would make a huge difference.

I'd be happy if next-gen looked exactly like this gen just at 1080p and some decent AA. I'm not even asking for 60 fps! Just gimme some decent image quality!

squidyj

FFXIV_FMV_04.jpg

final-fantasy-13-2-1.jpg

XIII-2_lightning_fmv.jpg

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ? In Real time ? As in, these FMV scenes would be in-game actually happening as you play graphics.

I would. Square Enix makes beautiful FMV's and I would absolutely be pumped if next-gen Final Fantasy's were rendered in real time this beautifully.

no.

I'll take as much graphics as I can at a locked 30 fps for consoles.

I'll have what this man is having.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Some people here talk like they'll be happy with just a console that's like PCs, which can already do current gen console games at 60 FPS and 1080p.

Pachinko

I've got tempered expectations, I've had a decent (but no longer top end) gaming rig that can pretty much run xbox 360 level graphics at 60 fps in 1080p as is, and I expect that a console released next fall/winter won't be a whole lot different than that. If we see games that look like the CG you posted, it'll be only for in game cutscenes. Playable portions will still be a toned down from that a fair bit. If we still have games consoles the generation AFTER next then I suspect we'll get to the point of being able to render something like squares current CG in real time, as actual gameplay. That's probably 15 years off though.

Top Bottom