• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

jett

D-Member
Every gen before has surpassed the quality of Square's FMV from the previous gen. I do agree that next gen it likely won't happen if those new Xbox specs are to be believed. We'd have to leave it up to Sony at this point, but something tells me the Wii was just too much of an influence on the big three console manufacturers, and we will likely just get slightly upgraded current gen tech.

Final-Fantasy-X.jpg

what are you smoking

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The next gen console wars have already started and there isn't even any hardware out yet. I'm starting to think that everything will be awesome and no one will be happy.

Sorry, but angst doesn't actually translate to graphical fidelity.

You are blind.

You cannot see an image for what it is, only what you believe it to portray. You are shallow and simple.

You prove nothing, but take a jab at everything. You are childish.

zelda_wii_u.jpg

Truly, the epitome of gaming.

the only real impressive stuff I see from that is how clean the shadows and reflections are, nothing else in the video really jumps out as being worthy of new hardware. Everything else is we can do as good, just not as much maybe (dof for example in a scene this small).

AM I crazy in thinking mirrors edge has some of the best realistic interiors?

mirrors edge has BAKED GI and great texture work. neither of those things is really pushing the 360. realtime GI is likely a next gen thing. Crysis 2 on PCs can do it right? so that strikes me as a good starting point.

higher quality dynamic lighting, tesselation, better particle effects, more complex simulations (AI included)... these are the sort of things next gen will do better.

if you don't get why the lighting and particle effects are jaw dropping in that Zelda video, you aren't going to be impressed by next gen.

'next gen' won't be seen in screenshots. you'll need to see it moving more than ever to appreciate the improvements. next gen will be all about the dynamic.

mirrors edge has BAKED GI and great texture work. neither of those things is really pushing the 360. realtime GI is likely a next gen thing. Crysis 2 on PCs can do it right? so that strikes me as a good starting point.

higher quality dynamic lighting, tesselation, better particle effects, more complex simulations (AI included)... these are the sort of things next gen will do better.

if you don't get why the lighting and particle effects are jaw dropping in that Zelda video, you aren't going to be impressed by next gen.

'next gen' won't be seen in screenshots. you'll need to see it moving more than ever to appreciate the improvements. next gen will be all about the dynamic.

the problem is that the entire zelda video is just a cutscene. It's not like the particles are reacting differently each time, they're scripted to look that good, adding a different lighting pass doesn't actually change that, same goes with a lot of the lighting, it seems like it's baked for the day or night, with some dynamic lights tossed in for "effect" moreso then anything, which most games this gen do without any difficulty. The halo 3 announcement trailer for example is as effective to if not moreso then the zelda demo for the exact same reasons. Amazing looking lighting and particle effects, and it too ran on the 360.

the problem is that the entire zelda video is just a cutscene. It's not like the particles are reacting differently each time, they're scripted to look that good, adding a different lighting pass doesn't actually change that, same goes with a lot of the lighting, it seems like it's baked for the day or night, with some dynamic lights tossed in for "effect" moreso then anything, which most games this gen do without any difficulty. The halo 3 announcement trailer for example is as effective to if not moreso then the zelda demo for the exact same reasons. Amazing looking lighting and particle effects, and it too ran on the 360.

i'm not claiming it's doing any kind of simulation for the smoke effects, but it's clearly pushing a lot of soft particles. i can't remember seeing smoke that good in Halo 3 or any other 360/PS3 game for that matter, though i may just not know the examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iD2lmN3RdEA#t=44s i'd love to see another game doing that in engine in a cutscene. again, i might just not know the example, but that's a really impressive effect.

lighting seems way more dynamic than you're giving credit for. even if it's pre baked, it's pre baked at a higher resolution than i've seen baked before, and it seems not to be a static lightmap, but rather an animated one.

and, yes. well done. you've identified Halo 3 as being a high benchmark for lighting this gen. this looks better, and runs at a full 720p framebuffer.

something that Halo 3 couldn't do.

other games achieved similar effects much more cheaply, but the dynamic lighting in Halo 3 has not, in my opinion, been bettered on consoles, and you can see exactly how expensive that glorious lighting was by looking at all the ways Halo 3 was unimpressive graphically.

i'm not claiming it's doing any kind of simulation for the smoke effects, but it's clearly pushing a lot of soft particles. i can't remember seeing smoke that good in Halo 3 or any other 360/PS3 game for that matter, though i may just not know the examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iD2lmN3RdEA#t=44s i'd love to see another game doing that in engine in a cutscene. again, i might just not know the example, but that's a really impressive effect.

lighting seems way more dynamic than you're giving credit for. even if it's pre baked, it's pre baked at a higher resolution than i've seen baked before, and it seems not to be a static lightmap, but rather an animated one.

and, yes. well done. you've identified Halo 3 as being a high benchmark for lighting this gen. this looks better, and runs at a full 720p framebuffer.

something that Halo 3 couldn't do.

other games achieved similar effects much more cheaply, but the dynamic lighting in Halo 3 has not, in my opinion, been bettered on consoles, and you can see exactly how expensive that glorious lighting was by looking at all the ways Halo 3 was unimpressive graphically.

Particles in a one off cinematic are easy to do, you not reusing it 500 times else where in the game to save space.

I'm talking about this announcement trailer.

h3_e32006_ChiefIntro.jpg

they had a playable demo of it running.

Judging from this thread, I would say some of you dudes need to lower your expectations, or you're going to be pretty disappointed.

100% agree. I think the next XBox reveal is going to be met with a lot of anger and "thanks, NINTENDO" comments because it's not Samaritan only twice as pretty. It'll be entertaining, at least. But damn. Temper your expectations.

Dan Yo

Banned
100% agree. I think the next XBox reveal is going to be met with a lot of anger and "thanks, NINTENDO" comments because it's not Samaritan only twice as pretty. It'll be entertaining, at least. But damn. Temper your expectations.
I think the anger would be justified if the leap is anything less than that of a normal generational leap. Particularly when this generation is taking more than 50% longer than usual.

Jay Sosa

Technically speakin..why yes of course. Artistically? Aw hell no ;)

But like I sadi a million times. I vastly prefer CLEAN graphics over pretty ones full of tearing framedrops and what have we

sp3000

You are blind.

You cannot see an image for what it is, only what you believe it to portray. You are shallow and simple.

You prove nothing, but take a jab at everything. You are childish.

You have zero understanding of technical graphics and animation, that much is for sure.

I could state how Blizzard's animation in Warcraft and Starcraft CGI is still unsurpassed, and how they keyframe animations instead of motion capture. Instead, all you do is post still images and then claim that anyone who disagrees must be an idiot.

But keep spouting personal attacks because obviously that's all you know how to do.

And if you think otherwise you're either delusional or high.

This is a great way to argue your points, simply call the other person an idiot. Are you in 5th grade?

Brofist

You have zero understanding of technical graphics and animation. You are arrogant to take your own opinion of a picture and believe that it is fact.

But keep spouting personal attacks because obviously that's all you know how to do.

Open your eyes man, can't you see?!

His dad modelled cars in the first Need for Speed.

I didn't mention which one he made cars for but ok ! It doesn't matter anyway, obviously everything posted is just ammunition for another to use against you.

You have zero understanding of technical graphics and animation, that much is for sure.

I could state how Blizzard's animation in Warcraft and Starcraft CGI is still unsurpassed, and how they keyframe animations instead of motion capture. Instead, all you do is post still images and then claim that anyone who disagrees must be an idiot.

This is a great way to argue your points, simply call the other person an idiot. Are you in 5th grade?

Open your eyes man, can't you see?!

You have only to go back and read the opinions of many others to see that you are wrong.

Again, I have admitted that Blizzard is good. But they are not the end all be all. You say Square's FMV's are full of "angst," I say Blizzards are rather "cartooney."

Also, I've posted plenty of video links, not my problem if you don't wanna watch them.

EDIT: As is typical of GAF, a simple "yes"or "no" question has been turned into oh, so much more ...

I mean, at least I admitted that Western companies like Blizzard and Bungie are capable of making good CG, but some of you ... "Square Enix = Low Tier" "Lol, Square = shit" etc etc .... Fucking shit.

Also note that I am not judging graphics by how they're made or what tech is used to make them. I judge only by the final product, which really when it comes down to what I asked in the OP is all that should matter.

I care way more about animations and intractability than I do about raw details in games.

A game like Witcher 2 or FF13 may have mind blowing detail in their games, but whenever I bump into an invisible wall or a character's clothes clip through their body it pulls me right out of the experience.

I would much rather the processing power go toward better AI, destructible environments, realistic animation systems, and physics. Basically things that will actually improve how games play and feel, not just how they look.

Right. I'm not saying that Blizzard's not good. They're great. But it's pretty clear to me, That Square is still King baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo

You cannot deny this quality.

h6l5L.gif

Seriously. Even if impressive on a technical level, this must be the most horribly "directed" cutscene I have ever seen. As someone who never played Final Fantasy XIII (or any predecessor counting back to VIII) the frames reek of the Rick McCallum shit statement "Everything is so dense". It's epilepsy inducing and half of the time you have no idea what the hell is going on. My eyes had trouble to focus on stuff. If that's what you want for gaming, preferably with a big flashing A or Square button in the middle, and it gets delivered... well then I'm going to quit gaming.

I think the anger would be justified if the leap is anything less than that of a normal generational leap.

Justified how? By gamer entitlement? Because it's what we've come to expect? That's a pretty weak defense.

And what's a "normal" leap? Genesis to Saturn? Atari 2600 to Atari 5200? PS2 to PS3? Gamecube to Wii? That could mean practically anything. There's no set standard for hardware generations.

SappYoda

BTW, where are you guys getting that the Zelda demo is using realtime GI? It could be just regular baked lighting with light probes for the characters and point lights for the torches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD2lmN3RdEA

The day night transition is a load screen, no realtime changes in illumination occur in the video.

It does indeed look like shadows don't change at all

4bc8bc1d735cb1d67fb58dfbc4cb68c41f8362bb.png

57c5879b41c1672bd92f8ba75e669cf84ae503c7.png

They could be using prebaked shadows.

But it's pointless to look at tech demos as something a system can deliver since:

• Tech demos are controlled environments (Camera is fixed, no AI, no game logic, etc.)
  • Hardware specs could be cut before launch.
  • Devkits usually have better specs than the actual hardware.

Dan Yo

Banned
Justified how? By gamer entitlement? Because it's what we've come to expect? That's a pretty weak defense.

And what's a "normal" leap? Genesis to Saturn? Atari 2600 to Atari 5200? PS2 to PS3? Gamecube to Wii? That could mean practically anything. There's no set standard for hardware generations.
Justified in that selling what is essentially the same old hardware at brand new hardware prices is a crock of shit. The industry and its consumers deserve progression. Not stagnation as immediate profits on hardware become more important than the overall advancement of technology and more options at the disposal of both developers and gamers.

A normal leap is that of virtually every consoles succession except for GC to Wii. I wouldn't consider the various upgraded forms of the Atari 2600 as actual generational changes.

You have only to go back and read the opinions of many others to see that you are wrong.

Again, I have admitted that Blizzard is good. But they are not the end all be all. You say Square's FMV's are full of "angst," I say Blizzards are rather "cartooney."

Also, I've posted plenty of video links, not my problem if you don't wanna watch them.

EDIT: As is typical of GAF, a simple "yes"or "no" question has been turned into oh, so much more ...

I mean, at least I admitted that Western companies like Blizzard and Bungie are capable of making good CG, but some of you ... "Square Enix = Low Tier" "Lol, Square = shit" etc etc .... Fucking shit.

Also note that I am not judging graphics by how they're made or what tech is used to make them. I judge only by the final product, which really when it comes down to what I asked in the OP is all that should matter.

I don't know whay you keep mentioning Bungie (i don't even know if they made that TV ad), they are not even in the same league. The top dogs of CG animation are Blizzard (most realistic movement, and lighting), Blur-studio (most realistic human faces), Ubisoft (2nd most realistic humans, but better animation than blur), From Sofware (most realistic hard surfaces, robots) and Squeare-enix (amount of stuff going on in the screen).

Of course, not all of the CG trailers for each studio have the same quality. Some of blurs look very good (force unleash 2, Prey 2), while others look average. Blizzard's WoW cinematics (except the last one) are better than Diablo III's . Square most realistic cgi to date is FF versus XIII, and I think that is the only one that rivals Blizzard in the technical aspects.

Purexed

Banned
My next-gen wishlist on graphics is simple. I want excellent image quality, 1080p standard across the board, no clipping, next-level lighting, no muddy shadows, and the death of jaggies. And put enough RAM in there to ensure poor frame rates are a thing of the past!

It does indeed look like shadows don't change at all

4bc8bc1d735cb1d67fb58dfbc4cb68c41f8362bb.png

57c5879b41c1672bd92f8ba75e669cf84ae503c7.png

They could be using prebaked shadows.

But it's pointless to look at tech demos as something a system can deliver since:

• Tech demos are controlled environments (Camera is fixed, no AI, no game logic, etc.)
  • Hardware specs could be cut before launch.
  • Devkits usually have better specs than the actual hardware.

We know the Wii U was underclocked for heating issues, so the Zelda Tech Demo was running on unfinished and underclocked hardware. Also take into consideration that every Zelda Tech Demo that was shown was outperformed by another Zelda game.

Top Bottom