• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

Red UFO

Judging from this thread, I would say some of you dudes need to lower your expectations, or you're going to be pretty disappointed.

Wonko_C

That's essentially how I feel which brings me to the question, why upgrade if you can't make the previous generation look antiquated? Again next generation is not going to be cheap. I would also like to see more realistic models, especially female because to me they normally look like plastic and doll-like compared to male models. I'm looking at you fighting games.

People said that Xbox 360 games looked like Xbox games at high resolution early in the generation. Pretty much the same thing is going to happen next-gen.

Sh1ner

fuck graphics, I am happy at the quality of graphics right now. What I want is more open gameplay.

More physics, real time shadows, sound that affect gameplay more subtley. More objects in the world. I would be way happy with a game that is littered with items that can affect sneaking whilst making exploration more interesting instead of one that looks really nice but is more limited in scope of interactivity with the world.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
IQ aside is a pretty big aside.

I did say 'ball park'.
Something like 720p with edge AA / no MSAA is a massive compromise on the PC but the home platforms are better equipped to deal with it. Otherwise you wouldn't see titles like U3 winning graphics awards. That game just wouldn't look good at all on a PC monitor.

Wonko_C

I will be satisfied with next gen graphics as long as they get rid of all the visual glitches, loading textures, tone down the bloom, framerates, and a few other things like that. Even though this gen has been very impressive visually my memory of it in my head is a lot of stuttering framerates, clipping, and texture loading. Then again that might just be because I play too many Bethesda games.

This happens to me a lot too. All I remember from "great" looking games like BF3, Crysis 2 or GTA IV is stuttery framerates, object pop-up, LOD changes with the distance, ugly dithered shadows, low distance foliage, screen tearing, etc.

On contrast all I remember from RAGE was a smooth looking, extremely polished game, texture loading issues were very rare occurrences, (lucky me!) and they happened only at the far edges of the screen and were too small to notice.

If your shadows are going to look like shit then use static lighting, dial-back on the graphic stuff, I would rather have a pristine looking, no gfx glitches, 1080/60 game like Ridge Racer 7 next-gen. (I know it won't happen)

cajunator

Banned
What is going to happen is that every console will release, nintendo will be behind slightly technically while still looking decent and everyone will continue to bag on the graphics. Nothing will change. Nobody will change their minds. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. The end.

Lunar15

MEANWHILE IN THE WITCHER 2

the-witcher-2.jpg

the-witcher-2_7baps.jpg

the-witcher-2-1.jpg

It's not quite to what the OP posted, but damn if it isn't close.

MEANWHILE IN THE WITCHER 2

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2010/11/the-witcher-2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/gallery/the_witcher/the-witcher-2_7baps.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/316000/316042/the-witcher-2-1.jpg[IMG]

It's not quite to what the OP posted, but damn if it isn't close.[/QUOTE]

It's nowhere close in motion. Hell, it's not really close in pics either.

StuBurns

Banned
The Witcher 2 is beautiful, but I don't think it's the tech monster lots of people on GAF seem to think it is. Crysis 2 with the DX11 shit is the best looking game I've seen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I would be fine with current gen graphics if was standard 1080p and had anti-aliasing standard on everything.

I am very easy to please.

Having future graphics hit those GC renders would be even better.

How is the lighting anything special? It doesn't look any better then what you'd find in Killzone, Dark Souls, or Uncharted.

Those games use pre-baked lighting, so no, it's not like the Zelda tech demo.

The tech demo uses global illumination, which is the main reason it looks so good.

Oneself

Who wouldn't ????

Indeed.
We won't see real time graphics of that quality before 2030 at the very least.
Otherwise, 5 hours games would take 10 years to make, Pixar and every other CG movie studios would cancel their current plans and make interactive games instead of films.

Next gen will look like the best looking current gen games, only 1080p with more natural lighting, better textures and better animations. I would expect PS3 Ratchet & Clank cutscenes quality in real-time. Framerates will still suck and be all over the place, games will again be sub-(true)HD and art direction will still be lacking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm impressed by the Zelda demo primarily for what appears to be excellent global illumination and radiosity simulation. The lighting is nice, and that makes it stand out and look pretty good. It looks better in tiny gifs, like all games, as it hides all the image imperfections, all of which become obvious once blown up to 720p and seen with your own eyes (hello aliasing).

But that doesn't mean it's a godsend or unreachable by modern hardware, and it is, after all, a tech demo. I'll judge the Wii U's graphical processing once I start seeing the games.

And yes, I think a lot of love for the Zelda demo, regardless of how good it looks, comes from Nintendo only gamers who have had to put up with the Wii for all these years, and have missed out on the better looking stuff found elsewhere.

I can agree to a point, but you do realize that that Tri-Ace tech demo was actually rendered and shown off on the PS360 ... Right ? So to me at least, it's not that impressive that PC games are "just" getting there ...

The one in the op? With the peeps playing cards?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think he removed that pic, because the pic you're referring to is from a FF14 trailer.

Ah okay. That one is the one I'm talking about. I thought it was a second TriAce demo. I know the other one though, the one running on modern systems.

Ah okay. That one is the one I'm talking about. I thought it was a second TriAce demo. I know the other one though, the one running on modern systems.

Yeah, Sorry for any confusion. I removed the one Tri-Ace picture after I learned that it was miraculously rendered on the current gen consoles.

Freakin' Wizards they have at Tri-Ace. Wizards !

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm impressed by the Zelda demo primarily for what appears to be excellent global illumination and radiosity simulation. The lighting is nice, and that makes it stand out and look pretty good. It looks better in tiny gifs, like all games, as it hides all the image imperfections, all of which become obvious once blown up to 720p and seen with your own eyes (hello aliasing).

But that doesn't mean it's a godsend or unreachable by modern hardware, and it is, after all, a tech demo. I'll judge the Wii U's graphical processing once I start seeing the games.

And yes, I think a lot of love for the Zelda demo, regardless of how good it looks, comes from Nintendo only gamers who have had to put up with the Wii for all these years, and have missed out on the better looking stuff found elsewhere.

The one in the op? With the peeps playing cards?

Yeah, I'm sure it's not nearly as nice in person due to what I suspect is substandard IQ, but even from a PC gamer's perspective, the lighting in that tech demo is outstanding.

EatChildren

Yeah, I'm sure it's not nearly as nice in person due to what I suspect is substandard IQ, but even from a PC gamer's perspective, the lighting in that tech demo is outstanding.

Pretty much. Good lighting/shadow work does a tremendous amount for improving the look of a game. Nice global illumination, radiosity and SSAO are the kind of things that instantly boost visuals in a really noticeable way. Even if the Wii U isn't pushing the kind of texture IQ and geometry complexity of the next Xbox and PlayStation, solid lighting/shadows should help keep it a notch above the current generation.

That's what I like most about the Zelda Wii U demo. The assets are souped up Twilight Princess stuff, and I'm sure it was jaggy hell at 720p, but the real time global illumination and apparent radiosity simulation makes it look super clean and pretty.

squidyj

Judging from this thread, I would say some of you dudes need to lower your expectations, or you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I'm always excited about hot new gfx but I'll never be 'satisfied' until true photorealism for an entire, working city, with the physics, animation, and AI to match. I see no reason in lowering any further than that as an end goal.

daedalius

Sounds like what next gen needs is global illumination for everything.

I assume that its a processing hog, and that is why its not used much now?

Top Bottom