• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be satisfied only owning the Nintendo Switch as your ONLY game console?

Senhua

Then again, when all I had was a 3DS I was missing out on all kinds of awesome games but I wasn't exactly crying myself to sleep at night. :)
Yup hopefully with the new Switch models, they consider to add 3DS BC for physical & digital games.
Though there are no new games anymore I doubt they will stop the production of 3DS consoles soon (we talking like one and half decade of game library will be missing).
I think why they still hesitant to adding a native 3DS BC, it's because the consoles already been fully hacked so they fear Switch will got it too.

Shaqazooloo

If we're talking current gen, i'm living that right now since it's launch. I'm very satisfied with it. The only thing that would make me want to buy another console is Halo, specifically Halo 3 but otherwise I'm cool with my current set up.

zenspider

Yes.

I've been playing near exclusive on Switch since finishing God Of War last year, and my few forays on Playstation 4 - Horizon: Zero Dawn, AC Origins, and Spider-Man - have been pretty underwhelming. Sekiro has been the only real must-play I didn't get, and Astro Bot the only real above average (read: fucking brilliant) game.

If I didn't have a PS4, I'd probably be pretty happy with the compromises on the games I care about on both like DOOM and Bloodstained, and games like DQXI and Builders I've choosen to get on Switch for the advantages.

VR is the big differentiator for me right now, and when I finally set the finnicky camera back up, maybe I'll change my mind, but I haven't missed it.

In fairness, PS Vita could be my sole system too, or PS4 or even my 3DS (if I was on a JRPG kick). There's so much good stuff to play, and as long as I don't feel tied to the hype cycles, I'd be pretty happy spending my time with any of my systems' libraries.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I can't even remember the last time I turned my PS4 on so probably.
neither can i but i ain't getting rid of it. there is no where else i can play PS exclusives. for me there just hasn't been any exclusives worth buying recently.

i'm probably gonna get death stranding. i'll get TLOU2 whenever the hell that comes out. i'm getting Cyberpunk on PC but will play it on PS4 too. the new persona 5 release is coming next year so i wanna play that.

my ps4 is collecting dust but it's going nowhere.

Last edited:

-MD-

neither can i but i ain't getting rid of it. there is no where else i can play PS exclusives. for me there just hasn't been any exclusives worth buying recently.

i'm probably gonna get death stranding. i'll get TLOU2 whenever the hell that comes out. i'm getting Cyberpunk on PC but will play it on PS4 too. the new persona 5 release is coming next year so i wanna play that.

my ps4 is collecting dust but it's going nowhere.

I'll play TLOU 2.

Birdo

Banned
Ever since the N64 it's NEVER been a good idea to have a Nintendo console as your sole gaming machine.

Third parties just don't get on well with Nintendo hardware and you end up missing out some of the best games out there.

t_wilson01

Absolutely not. The SNES was the last Nintendo console I've owned. I have had no interest in any of their subsequent systems.

MagnesG

Banned
For how long? Years? lifetime? For my daily routine right now, not having a switch will basically stop almost all of my gaming activities, so go figure.

Though I still had the most appreciation for the progress of console and pc gaming industry even I though I can't really experience it at the moment. I tried though, I do tried, I just don't have the passion anymore to sit my ass tethered on the big screen just four a couple of hours average per month. I did my playthrough of P5 on vita goddamnit, and that experience are not that feasible anymore since Switch happened.

ChuyMasta

I only have a switch. I'm satisfied because of the limited playtime I have, not because the Switch is the best console ever.

Tiamat2san

No.
There’s a few games I wait on the switch but just a few.
I play on a 65 ‘’ 4K tv.
I want the best image possible so switch is only for exclusives.

boo

Gold Member
For me, there are far more games for my Switch than I ever will have time to play, so even with just that one system I feel like I am drowning in games.

A new Doom is coming, and Wolfenstein, but I have not played the prequels yet. I should finally try to find time to play Splatoon 2 but soon Fire Emblem will be here. All those Final Fantasy games that I downloaded that I haven`t played before. I just finished replaying the first Phoenix Wright case, haven`t played those games since the DS. Then all the other Switch-games shown at E3. There are just too many games for me and that is just on one system.

Last edited:
No, not even a little bit. This is coming from a lifelong Nintendo fan. It’s absolutely a complimentary piece, imo. That said I believe in owning all the consoles, so as to benefit from all their unique experiences. This gen, however, if I could only own one, the PS4 is the obvious choice, imo.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Absolutely.

I’ve got a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Titan x PC and Switch. I had to go Switch only last summer when our flat was being repaired for months. Loved it.

There is so much good stuff to play on Switch. I didn’t particularly miss the AAA blockbusters.

Petrae

No way. As a sports video game fan, there’s poor representation of these titles on Switch. There aren’t any NFL or NHL games to play, which represent my two favorite sports. Mutant League Football is okay, but it runs sub-optimally on the weaker Switch hardware than the more powerful consoles.

Switch is my tertiary gaming machine. I have it mostly for first-party games and the rare third-party exclusive. If I had to give up one of my three consoles, it would easily be this one. I don’t use it as a portable machine (too bulky/large, doesn’t fit in pocket like 3DS/DS/GBA SP, poor battery life, shitty JoyCon controller), which means it’s relegated to competing for limited playing time against the PS4 and Xbox One X.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it is the only modern console i own

i also have a PC but that's not a console. most multi plats go there if anything AAA strikes my eye.

not really missing out on much. i'd like to play RDR2 someday but that will be on PC. Bloodborne i can play through PSNow.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, PC, Switch, and a ton of older consoles including micro-consoles. In the past year I've probably played my Switch the most, there are just a ton of great games on the system. I can bring it with me to work to play on my lunch break, or it can be docked at home (with wireless headphones and a pro controller) and it still looks good on my TV. I don't think I'd have any problems at all if the Switch was my only game system. This is especially true since I have Retroarch installed on mine and can play retro games with achievement support which is dope as hell.

That being said, I predominantly enjoy RPG games of which the Switch has an abundance of.

Wimbledon

I would IF , Sony brought there first party games to PC.

Xbox is doing that with i believe all there first party games, which changes everything. I plan on buying Halo infinite on PC , and any other first party games they plan on making to PC.

If Death stranding came to PC i wouldn't bother getting a playstation.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
No, there are a lot of games on other consoles I like too much. Talking about all gens though. If it was just this gen...then yeah, the PS4 is fine but I don’t think it’s mandatory for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

No. If youre happy to do it fine but you're living in a echo time chamber otherwise, missing out all the true advances is gaming technology wise.

I love the Switch and it probably is my favorite console mainly because I like older school games but I'd be missing out on so much.

Ever since the Wii arguably Nintendo consoles have always been this way.

93xfan

Banned
In often considered this just for fun.

It would certainly take me back to the NES days when games trickled out.

I could invest a ton of time into learning Smash, playing Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Breath if the Wild.

Rather than the current state of game where you play and discard them, it would all you to really play games and give them your best to 100% them.

sublimit

Banned
I don't have a Switch yet but Sony/Nintendo combo is still a must have for me. But i would definitely feel like i'd miss a lot if i only had one of those platforms.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No, not really. I own multiple consoles for a reason.

However, if we're talking about only having access to one console and Switch is my choice out of all the other platforms? Eh, it would definitely be one of the top contenders. I'm already satisfied with the library and we're only about 2 years into its lifespan.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't have a Switch yet but Sony/Nintendo combo is still a must have for me. But i would definitely feel like i'd miss a lot if i only had one of those platforms.
It's definitely best combo, especially if you enjoy Japanese games.

Orenji Neko

For me it kind of is in regard to current gen consoles, but that’s because I mainly play on PC. For several years I’ve been a PC+Nintendo player.

Kind of a cheat though since I still have my past Nintendo, Sega, and NEC consoles for my old favorites.

Mecha Meow

I've been doing exactly that since 2006 along with a PC.

I did borrow a 360 multiple times and bought games for it TBH, along with a PS4 for a few exclusives.

Ultimately, only Nintendo (was Sega too) makes the games I really love and care about in the long run (i.e. past 30+ years).

Wonko_C

Got a friend who is so much of a closet Nintendo fanboy that doesn't care if there is no third party support. "Nintendo doesn't need them", he says and yes his game collection consists almost entirely of first party games so his logic checks out. Its not that he hates the other companies, it's just he doesn't seem to be interested in anything outside of Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom